Reply to topic
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 24 2008 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Read it, it's pretty good.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 24 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea why I don't read Stephen King anymore. I really don't.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Red_Mage
Title: Palutina's Guardian
PostPosted: Apr 25 2008 03:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Cell fucking sucks
Blackout
PostPosted: Apr 25 2008 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How so?

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Apr 25 2008 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's really not good at all. I hate comparing new works to old works because I don't usually feel like one has anything to do with the other, but this book completely pales in comparison to even his best short stories, nevermind The Stand or It.

Blackout
PostPosted: Apr 25 2008 03:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It did kind ofremind me of the Stand. Confused
I liked how he took the tired scenario of "zombies" and the whole apocolyptic future thing and put some different twists on it.
For example:
The phone people (zombies) have a hive mind and roam in flocks foraging junk food and any random normal people they find during the day time then retire to sleep in giant fields during the night, forcing the survivors to live a nocturnal lifestyle.

The sleep together in giant feilds in rows all packed in to conserve heat< and the whole while they are listening to boom boxes playing easy listening muzak stuff, and are completely docile to the survivors during sleep time.

The opening part was pretty cool, what with all the random violence, the part where the guy in the park bites the dog's ear off is great Laughing (although I'm sure any self respecting dog would have mauled the asshole before it came to that)

The telepathy was kind of a lame idea, but the parts where zombies argue with each other over crap like twinkies while uttering nonsensical phrases to emphazise their point was funny.

I just like it because I like anything to do with zombies, and it's one of the few King books that doesn't have a complete shit ending.

Tebor
PostPosted: Apr 25 2008 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
I hate comparing new works to old works because I don't usually feel like one has anything to do with the other, but this book completely pales in comparison to even his best short stories...

I think that's what I'm afraid of. I haven't read anything of his after Dreamcatcher. Although, The Dark Tower is still high on my reading list.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Blackout
PostPosted: Apr 26 2008 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion Cell is better than Dreamcatcher.

kenthegod
Title: Midnight Scientist
PostPosted: May 03 2008 07:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

His newest books suck. It started with "From a Buick 8". Just shit after shit. He's fucking recycling books.

let's have a toast to the douchebags

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: May 03 2008 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
because stephen kings books are like getting a real nice blow job and then when you are almost there the chick stops and goes home

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 03 2008 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout Boy wrote:
It did kind ofremind me of the Stand. Confused
I liked how he took the tired scenario of "zombies" and the whole apocolyptic future thing and put some different twists on it.
For example:
The phone people (zombies) have a hive mind and roam in flocks foraging junk food and any random normal people they find during the day time then retire to sleep in giant fields during the night, forcing the survivors to live a nocturnal lifestyle.

The sleep together in giant feilds in rows all packed in to conserve heat< and the whole while they are listening to boom boxes playing easy listening muzak stuff, and are completely docile to the survivors during sleep time.

The opening part was pretty cool, what with all the random violence, the part where the guy in the park bites the dog's ear off is great Laughing (although I'm sure any self respecting dog would have mauled the asshole before it came to that)

The telepathy was kind of a lame idea, but the parts where zombies argue with each other over crap like twinkies while uttering nonsensical phrases to emphazise their point was funny.

I just like it because I like anything to do with zombies, and it's one of the few King books that doesn't have a complete shit ending.

Ok, that makes me never want to read this book.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

kenthegod
Title: Midnight Scientist
PostPosted: May 04 2008 02:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finished Green Mile earlier, and now I'm wondering how the same author can write shit like Cell and Duma Key, his newest pile of manure. The Green Mile made me cry. It is the best book I have ever read, and it's a fantastic movie as well. And he also wrote The Stand. I think the car accident was a sign for him to stop.

let's have a toast to the douchebags

S. McCracken
PostPosted: May 04 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kenthegod wrote:
I finished Green Mile earlier, and now I'm wondering how the same author can write shit like Cell and Duma Key, his newest pile of manure. The Green Mile made me cry. It is the best book I have ever read, and it's a fantastic movie as well. And he also wrote The Stand. I think the car accident was a sign for him to stop.

The thing is, even the books he wrote for the Dark Tower series weren't as good post-accident. Maybe you're right. Writing himself into the story was fucking lame. I think it's time for him to just put away the word processor and live quietly off of his millions up in Maine.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 04 2008 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in the process of slowly re-reading my King collection because I picked up Everything's Eventual awhile back to read 1408 and my god is that book horrible. So the logical progression was to reevaluate the books I already owned to see if they're all that bad and I just didn't realize because the last time I read them was in high school or if he's just lost his touch. So far I've gone through It, Insomnia and Dreamcatcher and my assessment so far is that he just lost it somewhere along the way because I found all three to be pretty good (of course, It was always awesome, I just wanted to read it again.) He's the sort of writer that I liked a lot back in the day but even then thought he used a bit more profanity and gross situations than the story needed, not that I'm a prude or anything but some of his writing just seems gratuitous. I can specifically remember finding Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon fairly boring. And frankly, I've never seen what the big fuss about the Dark Tower series is.

S. McCracken
PostPosted: May 04 2008 03:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
And frankly, I've never seen what the big fuss about the Dark Tower series is.

I will slap you in the mouth!

But From A Buick 8, Dreamcatcher, Cell, etc have been simply terrible.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: May 04 2008 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cell was a shitacular book. I really hated it, hated reading it, and hated myself while reading it.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 04 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
Black Zarak wrote:
And frankly, I've never seen what the big fuss about the Dark Tower series is.

I will slap you in the mouth!

But From A Buick 8, Dreamcatcher, Cell, etc have been simply terrible.

"Blah blah blah, my name's Roland! I have a gun! I have to save all existence but I'm going to take 300 books to do it and heavy-handedly cram references to myself into other books where there's no point to it! Blah blah blah blah, continued in book 247."

I got as far as Wizard in Glass and gave up.

Tebor
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

And I take that back. I found "Before The Play" online a few days ago and that totally got me back into Stephen King. The catch is I'm into old school King. I'm finally going to finish reading The Langoliers, read Misery, and then reread some books I've already read (It, The Stand). Also the Rose Red book he didn't write and his Storm of the Century script.

I just got Stephen King Uncollected and Unpublished today. The book's out of print and mad insane to find. Luckily Overlook Bookstore still has copies. It is exceptional and well worth checking out if you're a King fan.

Reply to topic

Jump to: