"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Wars: Vector

Reply to topic
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished volume one of this, the Star Wars comic cross-over. It spans a period of 4,000 odd years, starting during Knights of the Old Republic and ending in Legacy, crossing over Dark Times and Rebellion along the way. The first book is about the Mandalorians ransacking Taris discovering an ancient Sith artifact that is responsible for the vicious Rak-Ghouls present in the lower city, if you've played KOTR, you probably remember them. From there, the unfortunate Jedi who is possessed by the artifact and the ghost of the Sith lord who crafted it is placed within a stasis chamber to contain the plague, but is unfortunately lost when the Mandalorians glass the planet's surface. Fast-forward 4,000 years to three months after Palpatine's rise to power in Dark Times where Vader discovers the chamber and attempts to seduce the captured Jedi and make her his apprentice. The power of the item proves to be too much for even Vader to contain and he is forced to flee, stranding the artifact and its host on a dead planet.

Which is where volume one ends...

When I first heard about this project, I was afraid it would be kind of stupid, expecting time travel or Jacen's less than awesome flow walking ability to gimmick everything into place, but so far it's surprisingly good. It ties the very different timelines together in a believable way and is an enjoyable read as well. My only complaint is that the artist for the Knights of the Old Republic section of the book needs some more work on his style; lots of times, main characters' faces contort in ways that just aren't possible, giving them a rubber face look. I can understand stylization, but this is a bit much. I'm interested to see how they link the story so far to Legacy. The book adds things to the plots of the other series, but not in a way that makes you feel like you're missing something if you haven't read it. Of course, there's also a few things it explains that you'll wonder about if you HAVEN'T read it; like what the strange crate the crew of the Uhmele was transporting in the last volume of Dark Times (not to mention that you'd probably be wondering where a member of said crew disappeared to...)

There's also something pretty cool about seeing Zayne Carrick, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Cade Skywalker all together on one page (even if it is just a force vision...)

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man this sounds cool as hell, I definitely plan on checking it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to topic

Jump to: