SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Top 100 NES Games: Woo-hoo!

Reply to topic
GreenFire1
PostPosted: Oct 06 2006 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the article, Syd. It was truly as glorious as I hoped. Indeed, I went out and procured Crystalis almost immediately after finishing the entire article, and it too is glorious.

Discuss.

The opinion I hold of fanfics in general is that they are like the night sky. The good ones are the stars, and the shittastic ones fill the black space in between.
- Original quote

PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Two words : Baseball Stars.

Other than that, I find the list pretty much agreeable as far as 'best' games go. I know the games I spent most of my time playing weren't really very good anyway, like Days Of Thunder and Top Gun (wait, that one wasn't too bad, was it?) and Bases Loaded and NES Play Action Football and...

...wait a seocnd, where the hell is 1942? Or Sky Shark? At least one of those two. They were awesome.
Chrisby
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, Syd. Why do the article and newspost both claim to have been written on September 30?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 07 2006 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Because I had really wanted to get it done by the end of September.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

1942 isn't on the list because it wasn't memorable as an NES game, it was an arcade game. In fact, I have an INCREDIBLE story about the time I was about to beat the entire game on one quarter, and the machine was so angry at me for being so good and not giving it money, that it RE-FUCKING-BOOTED when I was about to finish off the end boss. Actually I think that was 1945, but whatever.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that was Strikers 1945, not 1943.

And 1943 will technically appear on the list once I add everyone's honorable mention picks. Not 1942 though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
And 1943 will technically appear on the list once I add everyone's honorable mention picks. Not 1942 though.

1942? 1943. The one that was better, not the... other one. You know what I mean.

The one where you did loop-de-loops and it made a silly noise.
BBH
PostPosted: Oct 08 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PolarisSLBM wrote:
Two words : Baseball Stars.

exactly what I was going to say. I can't even fathom how much time I put into it as a kid trying to make the ultimate badass team... best baseball game EVER.

BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 09 2006 04:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just out of curiousity Syd, but why did you opt for light blue links instead of your usual purple?

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 09 2006 05:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since I already had purple in the navbar and since Jeebus had the basic purple as his main text color, I figured it would be best to use a different color.
OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 13 2006 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Overall, I was quite impressed with your guys’ job. I didn’t realize how much I *didn’t* know about NES games – I’ve only played maybe a quarter of the ones on the list.

Quote:
This was the first Mega Man where they teased an end boss other than Dr. Wily. And unlike Mega Man 6 where it had become obvious that you were going to fight Wily at some point, the ruse was actually convincing in this game. I remember being genuinely disappointed that Wily wasn't in the game

Yeah, me too. Of course, it was probably pretty easy to fool me at age 13.

Quote:
What can I say? Sid Meier is a freaking genius. He makes great video games

Pirates (which I never played for NES but owned on Commodore 64 and now have the PC version on my laptop) is in my Top Ten favorite games of all time.

Quote:
You'd think that a game that revolves around something so mundane as delivering newspapers would be really terrible. Mindscape somehow made the idea work.

Agreed. Very Happy

Quote:
I have very little to say about this game [Bionic Commando] except… it's FREAKING WEIRD not being able to jump!

That’s one of the things I always liked about it – made it seem realistic (the whole ‘resurrecting Hitler’ storyline notwithstanding Smile).

Quote:
This game was so highly anticipated in Japan that children cut school to buy it, causing the Japanese government to pass legislation preventing all future games in the series from being released on school days. This law is still in effect.

That is hilarious! Very Happy

Quote:
So I had to go through systematically, trying every number... which really sucks because the number was 747. That's right, it took me 748 tries.

Hahaha… sorry Val, but that is hilarious. :p

I was sooooo happy that you guys included Startropics – my absolute favorite game of all time! I was worried that it was too much of a ‘cult favorite’ for you guys to like it. I find whenever people mention it, they forget to mention that one of the things that made it good was that it was so *funny* and campy.

Quote:
This was perhaps the first title that basically forced you to get out some graph paper and draw your own map to get through the damn thing

First NES title or first game ever? I used to do that in Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds for C64.

Quote:
I never really much cared for Grant DaNasty... he just wasn't as good as Sypha or Alucard

*shocked* He can friggin’ *climb walls and ceilings*, Syd! Think of the things *you* could do with that ability! Plus, I love the level where you get him, with the baroque-style music. Have you guessed yet that Grant was my favorite? Wink Seriously, dude, Alucard was frigging *useless* - yeah, sure, he can turn into a bat… but his attacks are gayer than a tangerine.

Incidentally, my brother owned this and had it stolen by a punk ‘friend’ of his, which upset me to no end at the time.

Quote:
Mega Man 2 is my favorite NES game of all time, bar none. I thought it was general consensus that it was the best title in the series, but apparently I thought wrong

Yeah, I dunno… it’s *awfully* close between MM2 and MM3. To me MM3 gets the *slight* edge purely because of the coolness and total shock of having to fight the MM2 bosses.

Quote:
Part 3 of the Mega Man series holds a special place in my heart

So here’s a funny and/or lame story: one year I was Magnet Man for Hallowe’en, and nobody knew who I was supposed to be. Sad

Quote:
While this is an absolutely amazing game, I am fairly certainly that Jeebus must have been SMOKING CRACK when he picked this as his top choice.

Really? I’ll back him up on that – I think it’s that good. Smile

Quote:
]but anyone who would bother to read this site has played the game, so you already know how awesome this game is.

Yeah, I can buy SMB3 as No. 1 too.
SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Oct 15 2006 09:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great article Syd. Never knew about the site until I read a headline over at Digital Press. Any chance of you doing a list like that for SNES games or any other systems?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 15 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I may try the SNES or the Genesis although it might be harder as those systems had smaller game pools. Or maybe the Atari 2600...
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Oct 16 2006 08:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Street Fighter 2 Turbo has to be on the list of Top 100 SNES games.

PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 16 2006 09:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I may try the SNES or the Genesis although it might be harder as those systems had smaller game pools. Or maybe the Atari 2600...

Well, you could just do an abbreviated list. 40 or 50 or some such.

If you did the Sega Genesis one, then you could mention how Basewars was the spiritual precursor to the hybrid sports-combat Mutant League series. Cuz if you don't put at least one Mutant League game in the top whatever, I'm going to be sad, and my kitten will cry. You don't want to make Fluffers cry, do you?
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Oct 16 2006 04:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mutant League football.

MUST KILL REF NOW!!! Twisted Evil

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Oct 21 2006 04:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone check out the commentary on http://digg.com/gaming_news/Top_100_Games_for_the_NES_Console?

Anyone who really trashed Sydlexia.com as a whole got bashed for it.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Oct 21 2006 05:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yeah man grown men on the internet debating video games, sweet! What a bunch of jerks.
PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 21 2006 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're missing Pro Sport Hockey!

...okay, maybe not. But I own that game.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 21 2006 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PolarisSLBM wrote:

Own it... or own at it?
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 21 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Anyone check out the commentary on http://digg.com/gaming_news/Top_100_Games_for_the_NES_Console?

Anyone who really trashed Sydlexia.com as a whole got bashed for it.

Ironically enough, I'm a regular digg.com visitor and a big fan of Kevin and Alex's podcast. For the past week I've been (probably) driving Syd nuts with updates as to how many diggs we had and what the general consensus was. Since I'm already registered there, I almost wanted to post something in response just to say thanks for all the comments, but I didn't want anyone to think I'd somehow tried to influence the diggs.

The way the podcast's shooting schedule goes, if they're going to talk at all about this story, it'll be in episode 68.

Hmm.. actually, I just checked. It hasn't been listed in the bulletpoint notes for the episode, but they could still give it a mention. I'll watch it and see.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Oct 22 2006 06:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mecole-21 is a douchebag. It's a retro pop culture site, you fuckstick!

Mugginns is an asshat because he said the list was made by a bunch of RPG nerds. Although the comment is out of line, even if it was true, it's better than the alternative (people addicted to sports games).

Agret is either retarded or has some sort of cataracts.

Mushroomblue sucks total dick because he basically said the entire site bit ass.

DanAtkinson has sex with farm animals because he doesn't know how fun an NES really can be.

DonAndy and Jwoey are both conservative right-wing nuts because they complained about the "overuse" of the word fuck in the article.

ToMatto isn't too bad, but he needs to get out more. (He complained about not liking half the games.)

Sfchakan is like a tourettes patient in a movie theater because he said "Boo, Hiss!".

Weddle is really, really dumb because he named two SNES games in his post.

Heyoka seems to be channeling Regal with his bad typing skills.

AdverseE has feces thrown at him by monkeys because he tried that satire thing that no one ever laughs at.

Aargus is just an all around douche.

Yvelle is an ass because she called you guys asses.

Slickrate died in the Pit fatality because he said the list sucked.

Captaineuphoria can't figure out that SydLexia is a RETRO site.

And finally DelMonte is completely wrong about your age and probably can't read good. (WELL! I meant WELL!)

All of the aforementioned people will be recieving autographed Authentic Certificates of Uber-Pwnage from me within the next 6 to 8 weeks. Limited time only. While supplies last. Results may vary.

PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 23 2006 07:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
PolarisSLBM wrote:

Own it... or own at it?

I own at owning at it.

Yes, think about that one.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Oct 23 2006 08:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

You are the best at having the game in your possession.

PolarisSLBM
PostPosted: Oct 23 2006 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
You are the best at having the game in your possession.

Damn straight! Nobody possesses individual copies of thirteen year old video games like I do.
Reply to topic

Jump to: