"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Forum games and stuff.

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed the little Word Association Lite game in General that Douche closed. I'm not complaining about the closing, but it didn't seem that anyone really objected to it. And nothing in the forum rules says there's anything wrong with them.

It doesn't seem right to just close them up when on the face of it, there's nothing wrong with them. So I'm opening this thread to discuss these things.

I personally don't care, as long as something is done. here are the options as I see them:

1 - They're banned. Make them against the rules. Period. We don't like them, they're nothing but post whoring, they're stupid. Whatever. Just don't allow them.

2 - They're allowed. So what? People enjoy them. If someone wants to complain, they don't have to go in the thread. Post count doesn't matter. Let people have their fun.

3 - Ban them from General. We don't need this crap clogging up the relatively fast-moving General board, but people should be allowed to do it if they want. Restrict said games to an already existing forum (Internets?), or create a new forum for them (and for all similar forum games and contests).

4 - Do nothing Why you rocking the boat, bunny man? The current way works. Keep things the same. There's no need to do anything.

So...yeah. And again, I'm not arguing the lock, I'm just looking for discussion on these types of threads and whether to allow them or not.
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The ones that only require one word, I would say could easily be called spam and whatnot. Anything else, I would say are fine really.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 04:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

honestly, I have no problem with the word association thread. The problem is that a few months ago, people were starting dumb polling threads every hour. "What did you have for breakfast?", "how many sheos do you have?", "how big was your last dump?", and so on...

If you guys promise to not be fucking obnoxious, I have no problem with letting you have the word association game.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 06:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My last dump wasn't exceptionally large, but I did find the stool's length rather remarkable.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use the "View posts since last visit" regularly so game threads that update regularly get obnoxious. Some days there are 40-50 legitimate new posts in new/updated threads. To catch up on what is new and going on, I prefer not to have to go through the garbage threads.

Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al wrote:
The ones that only require one word, I would say could easily be called spam and whatnot. Anything else, I would say are fine really.

I am aware that I carry very little to no weight with any of you, but I agree with this completely. Games that require a little more thought and a slightly longer response (A sentence or two) are generally fun and should be allowed. The failed movie idea game (I was tired and didn't mean to submit it anyways) that I started in the other forum is a good example of this. It required a more thought-out, meaningful response than just a word. My posts are generally around a sentence in length, so requiring anything more than that seems kind of pointless.

-bjork- wrote:
My last dump wasn't exceptionally large, but I did find the stool's length rather remarkable.

I was much, much happier not knowing this.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Er, well for whatever its worth, I'm personally indifferent. I participate when they're there, usually, and don't miss them much when they aren't.

If we're gonna have a lot of 'em or something though, I would suggest a separate forum. Or maybe just using NSFW. Iono.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 06:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I use the "View posts since last visit" regularly so game threads that update regularly get obnoxious. Some days there are 40-50 legitimate new posts in new/updated threads. To catch up on what is new and going on, I prefer not to have to go through the garbage threads.

Being as that option doesn't display all new posts, but instead gives you a list of topics that have new posts in them, I think you're being melodramatic. If you don't like a thread, just skip it. If there are 1-5 game threads, which is all there should be, there's no problem.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a huge fan of the one word games. If your going to make a game put some thought into it. Having a game where you just post a single word is retarded, unless you have to make up a word that begins with the first word has a middle letter that is the same as the last letterof the word and ends with the middle letter of the previous word. Then it wouldn't be a mundane post whoring game that will go on for 100 pages.

Basically just put some thought into the games.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not against them but I kind of see them as a waste of space, who's really going to read all 8 gazillion pages of a word association thread? That space could be used somewhere else, word games make more sense in a chat environment.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 01:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know im not the one who should be suggesting things like this but

On fernins forum there is a game forum for post whoring topics like the word assocation game.

MAYBE we could add one here

here is a link if im being to vauge
http://ferahgo.boldlygoingnowhere.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I seriously doubt Syd is going to add a board for something so insignificant, especially after the proposed Food board failure.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 02:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you never know.

off topic but a fod forum sounded like a damn good idea. especially with the recent star wars cookies article

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For fuck's sake! Can you go one fucking week without suggesting a new forum, Hacker? These should really be banned, but at the very least they need to be banned from general discussion. General discussion has been wavering between unreadable and borderline unreadable for a while now, and officially banning the worthless "forum game" threads would be a nice step in making it readable again.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
General discussion has been wavering between unreadable and borderline unreadable for a while now

It has? Confused

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Chrisby
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It has.

Like big time.
Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
General discussion has been wavering between unreadable and borderline unreadable for a while now, and officially banning the worthless "forum game" threads would be a nice step in making it readable again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game that prompted this discussion is the first one to show up in General Discussion since the Word Association Game thread was locked. So that makes nearly 7 months that Gen. Discussion was without any game threads, which you seem to have so much vitriol towards. Prior to that, the most recent game thread trailed out in October, and before that, a couple in August. So... Is there some flood of game threads that are being removed before I even see them? Or is there... not really much of a problem here?

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I for one and sick of it, these games are making us into drooling idiots incapable of any original thought. YES I want these games banned. Though I don't think we should set it that any use of "forum", "game" or "forum game" should be censored. Everyone knows this is a forum and we don't need to refer to it as such "boards" works just fine.

Chrisby
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 09:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well at least we haven't degraded into meme-spouting morons yet.
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

we could do a game forum that has -bjork- 's arcade game idea and the word association game.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The forum games are pure fun and I don't understand why anyone's arguing against this. As long as it's not flooded or anything. I think we should put 'em in internets at least if you guys hate it so much.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

this goes along with what i said earlier

on a zeld forum they have the game forum set up so it doesnt increase post count

Eddie_Hyde
Title: Ernie with the Disposal
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
The forum games are pure fun and I don't understand why anyone's arguing against this. As long as it's not flooded or anything. I think we should put 'em in internets at least if you guys hate it so much.

Agree.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 29 2009 07:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
For fuck's sake! Can you go one fucking week without suggesting a new forum, Hacker?

In all fairness...

UsaSatsui wrote:
Restrict said games to an already existing forum (Internets?), or create a new forum for them (and for all similar forum games and contests).

I'm all for exiling them to Internets forum. That seems to be the standard location for anything "fluff-like".
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 29 2009 09:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

Being as that option doesn't display all new posts, but instead gives you a list of topics that have new posts in them, I think you're being melodramatic. If you don't like a thread, just skip it. If there are 1-5 game threads, which is all there should be, there's no problem.

I was just responding to the OP with my opinion and reasoning.

As for games, I enjoy certain ones, like the movie image game, parody motivational poster game, NES Challenge, and other games that require creative output.

Purely based on content, I can appreciate any game that leaves a thread that is worth looking back on. The word association thread just becomes post after post of endless one word posts. I doubt very much that many people read even the responses to their own posts.

Personally, I would get rid of just that thread and take each new game as they come.

These are just my opinions, I certainly don't think they hold more weight than anyone else's, and I am ok with whatever results follow.

Reply to topic

Jump to: