Magic 2010 Prerelease and Release Cards

Reply to topic
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: May 29 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Prerelease Card wrote:
Vampire Nocturnus* 1bbb
Creature — Vampire (Mythic Rare)
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
As long as the top card of your library is black, Vampire Nocturnus and other Vampire creatures you control get +2/+1 and have flying.
3/3

Release Card wrote:
Queen of Ants* 3gg
Creature — Insect (Rare)
1g: Put into the battlefield a 1/1 green Insect creature token.
5/5

The names of the cards may be translated incorrectly, but the text is not. The "in play" zone has been renamed the battlefield, as was previously rumoured.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 29 2009 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's stupid. The battlefield part I mean, those both seem like pretty cool cards.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 29 2009 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 29 2009 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, only the first 4 of those changes are real, obviously.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 29 2009 06:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the battlefield thing is fucking awful. As if my CCG hobby wasn't gay enough already.

#edit: No more mana burn!? Weak. Mark Rosewater should be raped, shot, raped, shot, raped, shot, raped and then finally killed. There's your goddam soundbite.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 29 2009 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"The Exiled Zone?"

That's even more retarded. I gotta say, I'm not thrilled about pretty much all of 2010

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: May 29 2009 07:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, I don't really care what they call it. It doesn't matter.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 29 2009 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
It doesn't matter.

"R&D keeps acting like they can do anything, and it don't matter what they do! Maybe they gotta be extra careful. Because maybe it matters more than they'll ever know." - Michael J. Fox
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 29 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
It doesn't matter.

"R&D keeps acting like they can do anything, and it don't matter what they do! Maybe they gotta be extra careful. Because maybe it matters more than they'll ever know." - Michael J. Fox

Oh shit, they're changing the NAME OF A ZONE!!! It's the end of the game as we know it!

Seriously, it's just adding a bit of flavor. Who cases? Nobody bitches about a deck and discard pile being a "library" and "graveyard", even though those are equally flavorful terms. And face it, the "Removed From Game Zone" thing was an issue that needed correcting.

Dumping mana burn is the bothersome one for me, but honestly, don't care that much about it.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 29 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Changing the zone names at this point in the game's history is dumb. It's an ill-conceived idea based on the ill-conceived idea that the game must be dumbed down in order to attract more noobs. The game is dumb enough already, and guess what, no one wants more noobs. Magic is an exclusive club, and we don't want dumb little kids learning how to play. As a veteran MTG player, the most satisfying thing you can do isn't win a big money tournament; it's beating some ten-year-old so goddam badly that they never want to play Magic ever again.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 29 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Changing the zone names at this point in the game's history is dumb. It's an ill-conceived idea based on the ill-conceived idea that the game must be dumbed down in order to attract more noobs. The game is dumb enough already, and guess what, no one wants more noobs. Magic is an exclusive club, and we don't want dumb little kids learning how to play. As a veteran MTG player, the most satisfying thing you can do isn't win a big money tournament; it's beating some ten-year-old so goddam badly that they never want to play Magic ever again.

You forgot the bell.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 30 2009 01:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd's right on on that one. Except make "ten year old" into "fifteen year old who cheats and sacs Armillary Sphere to drop the lands directly into play instead of into his hand."

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 30 2009 02:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

The more I hear, the more I'm glad I dropped out of the hobby.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Little Mac
PostPosted: May 30 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
The more I hear, the more I'm glad I dropped out of the hobby.

Seconded.

Fear the pink sweatsuit.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I dislike getting rid of mana burn because it means there's no ramifications for playing sloppily, and it makes cards like Mana Drain more powerful. But there being no penalty for playing poorly means it's harder to teach people to play correctly if they're new. On the plus side, however, it makes them feel comfortable printing cards like Golden Lotus.
Changing it to casting spells instead of playing spells is fine. That's the way it used to be, and I prefer it that way actually.
Changing the RFG zone to the Exile zone is kinda annoying, but saying "Exile target creature" takes up a lot less space than "Remove target creature from the game" so it allows for more text on cards that would potentially be complex.
So I'm actually in favor of 2 out of 3 of those changes.

Changes the in play zone to the battlefield is stupid, though. If I have a COP Black, how is that on a battlefield? If this was fucking Yugioh or Pokemon where the only permanents are creatures then battlefield makes sense, but it's fucking stupid for Magic where there's a lot more going on. Also, it takes up a LOT more room on cards.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's worth noting, of course, that while 2 of these rules changes are really dumb, the quality of the cards in M10 is REALLY high, and it looks like it will be an exciting set. As veterans, there's no reason for us to embrace new terms, so we can just focus on the fact that they're printing awesome cards and ignore the stupid jargon.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 30 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't need to be called the Exiled Zone though. They could have just made exile a game term that means Remove From The Game.

But they refuse to bring back "bury" as a rules word, so why should this be any different?

And technically, don't we have two different RFG zones? We have the zone referred now as the "Exile" zone, and we also have the "set aside" zone that cards like Tidehollow Sculler use.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wrong. Under current rules, there's only one RFG zone which is where cards in your sideboard, cards that are RFG'ed by things like Swords to Plowshares go, and where cards that are RFG'd temporarily by things like Tidehollow Sculler and suspend. Aside from the name of the zone, this isn't going to change.

I agree though, when I first heard this I wanted them to just use exile as a verb meaning "remove from the game".

#edit: For the record, in alpha the only zones were hand, library, in play, graveyard, and RFG. When the rules changed in 6th edition, the stack become a zone as well. These are the ONLY zones that exist, and the only other zone that ever existed was the madness zone created in Torment, but that was deemed stupid and gotten rid of when they brought madness back in Time Spiral.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 30 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, given that, the Exiled zone is an especially stupid name. Saying that suspended cards, championed cards, and Sculler'd cards are "exiled" isn't very flavorful. In fact, it's outright dumb. RFG makes much more sense. Cards can be RFG'd for a variety of reasons, the Exile zone tends to imply the effect of the card of the same name.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well Exile RFG's a card and Path to Exile RFG's a card, so I'm really not sure why you're complaining. Even though I think changing the name was unnecessary, it makes more sense for something to return from exile than for it to return from being removed from the game.

Also, the new FTV: Exiled is going to have a preview card, like all FTV's will, so we can assume that whatever card from Zendikar is printed in FTV: Exiled is going to have to do with cards either being removed from the game or cards that were removed from the game.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 30 2009 01:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My point is that Exile and Path to Exile both PERMANENTLY remove a creature from the game. And to refer to that as "exiling" is fine. But how does one "exile" an artifact, a sorcery, or a land?

The fact that a suspended card would now read: "Exile this card with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter... etc."

That doesn't really describe Suspend well. Exile is a form of punishment. Suspend is temporal.

Grammatically speaking, Exile is a poor choice as well. Every other play zone is a noun that requires an article. THE library, THE stack, THE graveyard, hell even, THE battlefield.

How would a card that effects the exile zone read?

"Return a card from exile to your hand."?

"Return a card from the exile zone to your hand."?

I'm sorry, but either of those sounds fucking retarded.

And what about Tawnos's Coffin? Tawnos's Coffin does NOT exile a creature. The Coffin removes your Serra Angel from the game, because the Serra is LOCKED IN THE FUCKING COFFIN. She's not sitting in a fucking vineyard in Elba, plotting a return to the battlefield. She's in a fucking balls shit hell ass coffin!
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chillax, dude. None of these change the game or how we will refer to it (Although I will say cast instead of play). The only difference is there's no more mana burn, so if someone is using a bunch of mana flares we can all spend less time doing math.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 30 2009 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
in alpha the only zones were hand, library, in play, graveyard, and RFG. When the rules changed in 6th edition, the stack become a zone as well. These are the ONLY zones that exist, and the only other zone that ever existed was the madness zone created in Torment, but that was deemed stupid and gotten rid of when they brought madness back in Time Spiral.

Phased-out zone and ante zone.

Also, I thought cards in the sideboard weren't in the RFG zone but "outside the game". You need a wish to pull them in.

And yes, Syd. Clearly "removed from the game" is a much better term for cards that can easily come back to the game when you destroy a card. Besides, cards hit with an RFG effect can come back as well.

Or are you saying we need an "Exile zone", a "working the fields zone", a "suspended zone", an "eaten by a Nightmare zone", a "locked under an O-Ring zone", and a "Locked in the fucking coffin zone"?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 30 2009 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No. I'm saying we need a zone name that accurately describes its purpose. RFG fit that criterion. Exile does not.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 30 2009 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ante was probably a zone, phased-out was not.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: