"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Best Fast Food Toys Ever

Reply to topic
Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: May 22 2009 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, guys! I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best toy you ever got out of a fast food restaurant. It can be any toy from the kids' meals or it can be bought separately as a special promotion.

I have two to nominate:

McDonald's YoMega Yo-yos:

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, Yo-yos were the biggest thing ever. The types of yo-yos that were amongst the most popular were a specific brand called YoMega. Later on, McDonald's decided to sell some yo-yos, but they weren't cheap yo-yos, oh no. They were genuine, honest to God YoMega yo-yos, and they were well above decent. They might have worked as well as their more expensive YoMEga counterparts, and they were only a fraction of the price.

I even happen to have one. I took pictures of it in my bedroom with my Nintendo DSi camera, so forgive any crap quality these snapshots may have:

Burger King Pokemon Gold-Plated Trading Cards:

Some time ago (it may or may not have been during the time Pokemon: The First Movie was in theaters, but I'm not sure), Burger King was promoting Pokemon by not only selling Pokemon toys, but also selling Pokemon Gold-Plated Trading Cards, each in their own little Pokeball. I only have one, and I never, ever got it out of the wrap, though a friend did take it out of the box:

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: May 22 2009 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck, I remember wanting one of the gold Pokemon cards so badly. I remember going through other kid's backpacks at school looking for one. Razz
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: May 22 2009 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had one of those Pokemon cards, I got it from a comic book store though. I believe it was Charizard. Of course, I was a stupid fucking little kid that left all his awesome toys outside sooo, I think you can see how that turned out.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 22 2009 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My favorites were actually those food-transformer Changeable. God I loved those things. Played them to death.

I was never into pogs personally, but I know McDonalds (at least I think it was them) put those in Happy Meals at the height of the pog craze. If I recall, they were pretty cool, and some sets even included decent slammers.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

IceWarm
PostPosted: May 22 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't one of those Pokeball toys kill a kid? I heard a kid was playing with one, opened it up and put half of it over his mouth and it created a suction and he suffocated.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ky-Guy
PostPosted: May 22 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crazy_Bastard wrote:
Fuck, I remember wanting one of the gold Pokemon cards so badly. I remember going through other kid's backpacks at school looking for one. Razz

Did you ever get a card that way? Mr. Green

And yeah, they are pretty cool, though I never took mine out of the wrap. I still doubt that it will be worth that much, though, even with the increase in gold prices.

MOGHARR wrote:
I had one of those Pokemon cards, I got it from a comic book store though. I believe it was Charizard. Of course, I was a stupid fucking little kid that left all his awesome toys outside sooo, I think you can see how that turned out.

So, you had a Charizard, huh. I wonder if anybody ever got the Mewtwo one. Confused

SoldierHawk wrote:
My favorites were actually those food-transformer Changeable. God I loved those things. Played them to death.

I was never into pogs personally, but I know McDonalds (at least I think it was them) put those in Happy Meals at the height of the pog craze. If I recall, they were pretty cool, and some sets even included decent slammers.

I think I remember those transforming food ones. I think I might even have a few.

I might remember the pogs if I saw them.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: May 23 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ky-Guy wrote:
Crazy_Bastard wrote:

I never did Sad I vaguely rcall getting caught but I don't think I ever really got in trouble.... ah, to be in second grade again......
Ky-Guy
PostPosted: May 23 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Crazy_Bastard wrote:
Ky-Guy wrote:
Crazy_Bastard wrote:

I never did Sad I vaguely rcall getting caught but I don't think I ever really got in trouble.... ah, to be in second grade again......

Yeah, well they were, and still are, pretty cool.

Syd Lexia wrote:

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 25 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

My parents got me a gold-plated Mewtwo when I was a kid. I was wondering where they got it.

My favorite fast food toys would have to be the Tamagotchi keychains that were released maybe around 1998 - though not for conventional reasons. When I was seven I HATED my first-grade class. I had about six or seven Tamagotchi keychains attached and hanging from my backpack, and I would walk through the desk aisles on the way to my own desk and "accidently" whack people on the back of the neck with the keychains as my backpack brushed past them. Plus, the "clack-click-clack" noise they would make as I started walking through the room always annoyed everyone else. Laughing To be honest, I don't know how I didn't get in trouble for that.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 25 2009 01:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Spider-Man: The Animated Series toys from McDonald's. That's the first time I ate enough McDonald's to get all the toys.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2667705906_98957b90d3.jpg?v=0

Who remembers these bitches?

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: May 25 2009 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
The Spider-Man: The Animated Series toys from McDonald's. That's the first time I ate enough McDonald's to get all the toys.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2667705906_98957b90d3.jpg?v=0

Who remembers these bitches?

A few of those look familiar. Either I had them or some of my friends did.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Eithelen
PostPosted: Nov 23 2009 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Being a girl, my Mcdonald's Happy Meal toys were composed mainly of Barbies and Disney Princesses. I was something of a tomboy, so I used to get pretty annoyed about that. I still have two Skydancers from a Happy Meal somewhere. I loved the Tarzan toys that linked together and set each other off by chain reaction.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7479741234367285779#
I remember the Burger King pokemon toys, but I only ever had two, one was a Mewtwo that came in it's clone - growing tube thing, and I don't remember the other one, I just remember having the pokeball it came in.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 24 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

My favorites;

McDonalds;
Muppet Babies holiday plushes *sold seperately*
The McNugget buddies
Fraggle Rock Cars
Garfield Cars
Mcdonalds food products that transformed into dinosaurs
Tiny Toons Reversible Characters cars
Tiny Toons "motor" cars
Sonic the Hedgehog
Looney Tunes bumper cars
Mickey and friends from all over the world
Wild animal plushes
Muppet interchangable puppets

Burger King;
Bonkers Crash Apart cars
Lion King finger puppets

Hardees;
The California Raisins

When I was a kid, if I bought a burger and I didn't get a toy with it, I didn't fucking eat there anymore.

And it's been YEARS since I've seen any advertisements for toys besides McDonalds, I don't even think most places have a monthly toy production going on anymore. I will say that outside of the Bonkers cars and the Raisins, McDonald's toy line blew everyone else away, then after their tie in with Disney in 1998 I believe, everything started to suck.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Dec 12 2009 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely the Super Mario 3 toys from McDonalds. I was on a family vacation to a cabin in the Poconos with my cousins and we stopped to get one. I got the Raccoon Tail Mario one with the spring and the suction cup. I remember this one clearly because it's the first time my family heard me say 'fuck' and I got in trouble for it. I was playing with it on a bench outside of a rest stop and damned if that little bastard didn't hit me right in the eye when it popped. I got spanked on top of all that.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

pineapple
PostPosted: Dec 12 2009 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember one time while eating at Burger King, this lady and her daughter got the Mew Pokemon toy. The lady stands up and starts cheering "We got Mew! We got Mew!!"
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Dec 13 2009 03:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

The McDonald Food Transformers were easily my favorite.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Dec 13 2009 08:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the 101 Dalmations toys that McDonalds had about 10 years ago because there actually were 101 different dogs. I worked there at the time, and remember trying to complete the set by going through the boxes as they came in and taking the ones I didn't have.

I think I made it up to around 70 or so before the promotion ended for that year.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 13 2009 08:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Burger King did Simpsons Halloween toys a few times. IIRC, they were the only licensed Simpsons toys available at the time.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 17 2009 07:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember those gold plated cards. I got exactly one: Pikachu. I was happy to own it, and didn't question it's rarity. Now I wish I knew exactly how many of the pikachu cards were released... mostly so I could boast if it WAS rare (doubt it).

@ Sydlexia: I remember those! I went to McDonalds once for the sole purpose of getting one. And then I accidentally threw it away about two days later. God, my attention-span sucked.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Dec 18 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

the poke'mon that came in the poke'balls from Burger King.

I got Riachu, man he was cool.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Dec 18 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

the best one was this...

Mario looked like he needed to take a shit so it functioned really well as a butt plug for that same reason.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 22 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@ Ermac: So I'm NOT the only on--I mean, uh. -coughs and whistles innocently-

And I agree. Partially. It was not THE best, but ONE OF the best. I believe that title belongs to the Halloween Pails I so adored as a small child.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Dam That River
Title: This dude abides.
PostPosted: Dec 28 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

For me, it's pretty much anything video game related. I've got a bunch of game related kids meal toys displayed next to my oldschool video games.

I also liked the handheld LCD games that McDonald's, Burger King, and even Taco Bell gave out a few years back. My favorites were the Activision ones Burger King gave out a few years ago - they were all based on classic Activision 2600 games.

Other than that, I've got a bunch of BK Simpsons toys, and I remember when McDonald's used to give out ACTUAL Hot Wheels cars in the 80s and early 90s.

Don't feed a rabbit Trix. It will harass kids for more.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 28 2009 07:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, god, those Hotwheels had me and my Dad running for McDonalds. It's not often you get to eat and enjoy your favorite childhood hobby at the same time. It's like getting Yahtzee in one roll.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Dec 28 2009 08:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Were they Hot Wheels? I always figured they were Matchbox...of course it could've been both.

The reason I figured they would be Matchbox was because Matchbox had the tendency to be plastic on the underside, while Hot Wheels usually had a metal underside. The McDonalds cars I always got were completely plastic.

On a side note, I always found that weird how Matchbox would cost more, even though Hot Wheels had them beat on overall quality. It's also amazing at how much more expensive they are nowadays. I used to be able to get 3 of those for a $1.
Reply to topic

Jump to: