SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Fuck Wizards Of The Coast! (Star Wars Miniatures)

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Many, many years ago, when I first played Star Wars RPG tabletop, was the original edition published by West End Games, using the d6 system. At that time you could find pewter minatures for Star Wars, made by the best caster at the time, Ral Partha.

Jump ahead 15 years.

Now, WotC, have recently released thier 3rd edition of Star Wars RPG, known as the "Saga Edition". Which is based off the d20 system that was used before in the "Core" edition. (Version 1 and Revised. Anyone who played KOTOR and KOTOR2 are familar with this system, because the video games used it.) Well, Saga edition is a "streamlined" verson of d20 designed for quicker play and less rule hunting. (Kinda like 4th edition D&D, but not as badly assraped.) The ruleset itself, I don't have a problem with. I just made my own rule set using bits from Core and Saga.

My bitch is that you can't buy pewter Star Wars figs anymore for playing SW:RPG. You know why? Because of the Star Wars Miniatures Game! Not only are they a "Collectable miniature battle game", but they are also, according to WotC: "the offical miniatures for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game".

Here's the catch:
Let's say you want to play a Cathar Jedi character. You think, "hey for my fig, I'll just use Juhani from KOTOR! A perfect fit!"

You want to buy the Juhani fig? Well, you can buy it as a single from online or B&M gaming shops. For it's current value price of $22.00!

Why is it $22? Because, in the SW:Miniature game, she is a "Very Rare!" (Think Mythic Rare from M:TG)

What's the other option to get her? Buy the SW:M booster packs for the "Knights Of The Old Republic" expansion set and hope you get her, for $15 a booster pack. And, since she is an ultra rare, that means that the odds of getting her are not good. Every booster has 1 rare , 2 uncommon, and 4 common figures. About one out of 3 boosters, replace the Rare with a Very Rare. So you would need to spend at least $45 to get a good chance of getting an "Very Rare". And, then hope that you get Juhani, instead of the other 12 "Very Rares" that are in the set!

This is a fucking stupid way for WotC to try to suck more money outta the RPG players!

D&D as a minature game also. But, you still have other companies such as Reaper, who still make the pewter figs for Tabletop RPG use. Why can't Lucas or Wizards licence another company to make pewter figs for SW:RPG, and leave SW:M and SW:RPG seperate products!?!
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't wanna sound like an ass here, but 2 things:
1. WotC doesn't make any money off the fact that stores sell this figure for $22. They only make money off the sales of boxes to the distributors and retailers.
2. If a pack is already $15, why not just buy the figure you need? Honestly, your complaint sounds like a Magic player bitching that a rare he wants is $5 but there's a small chance of getting any given rare in the $3.99 booster pack. If you're looking for that very specific thing, just pay a little bit more and take chance out of the equation.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 08:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My complaint is that I shouldn't have to pay $22 for something that should be $3.

If I want to play a Dwarf Fighter in D&D, I can go out an buy a Pewer Fig of a dwarf fighter for $3. I can also choose from about 50+ choices in style and design. AND, I can paint it myself, so I can make it even more personalized.

Now, If I want to play a Miraluka Jedi in SW:RPG, I have only one choice (The Visa Marr Miniature) and have to pay $20 for it.

I have no problem with WotC wanting to make money the collectable route with SW:M. But, why should SW:RPG players have to suffer because of it? I don't care that a figure is worth $20+ becasue it has some special stat for a game I don't play. I care that I shouldn't have to be forced to pay $20 for the fig for its other "offical" use where it doesn't have any stats and no special bonus for being what it is, other than a correct visual representation of my character.

I know this may seem like a silly rant to some. But, I have been a tabletop RPG player for 17 years. For 17 years I could buy RPG table top figs for $3-$5 each. Suddenly, WotC decides I shouldn't have that option anymore, because they want to try to milk more money out of me.

That's my complant.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 08:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's actually probably more along the lines of "pewter figures don't sell/aren't a product we make", this is Hasbro we're talking about and Hasbro doesn't like to do anything with Star Wars unless they think it's going to make some money for them. So generic race and class pewter figures for no specific game are going to be passed over in favor of cheaper (to make I mean) plastic figures of known characters in a popular game.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Then license that shit out to Reaper or Iron Wind Metals (Who used to be Ral Partha Ent.)
IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 20 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to work at a toy store and we carried some of the D6 Star War RPG stuff. I only bought the core rulebook for the RPG but we also had some of the pewter figures. I liked that they came in specific packages. There was a Stormtrooper pack, rebel troopers, and so on. So if you just wanted to build an army of Stormtroopers you could buy a few Stormtrooper packs and be done with it instead of hoping you get Stormtroopers in a pack of mixed figures like WoTC does now.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

I feel ya on WotC. First D&D and now Miniatures. That setup is just seriously dumb. If they both fail, or in particular, the RPG fails, they've got only themselves to blame.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 02:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

In a related point, not so much about SWM as WotC itself, WotC's sued 8 people for paying for pdfs of the 4th Edition D&D PHB 2 (with the druid, barbarian, and other classes and races) and then uploading those pdfs to file-sharing sites. Furthermore, they've pulled all pdfs from the marketplace, resulting in people who paid for this stuff legally screwed if they want to play the thing online (through Insider or whatever crap 4E uses for playing online).* White Wolf and Paizo responded by doing a pricecut on thier offered pdfs of game books (even so far as White Wolf offering free pdfs of the 2nd Edition Exalted Player's Handbook).

* Before this policy change, when you bought a physical copy of a 4E book you were able to download a pdf version of it as well.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 08:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
My complaint is that I shouldn't have to pay $22 for something that should be $3.

If I want to play a Dwarf Fighter in D&D, I can go out an buy a Pewer Fig of a dwarf fighter for $3. I can also choose from about 50+ choices in style and design. AND, I can paint it myself, so I can make it even more personalized.

Now, If I want to play a Miraluka Jedi in SW:RPG, I have only one choice (The Visa Marr Miniature) and have to pay $20 for it.

I have no problem with WotC wanting to make money the collectable route with SW:M. But, why should SW:RPG players have to suffer because of it? I don't care that a figure is worth $20+ becasue it has some special stat for a game I don't play. I care that I shouldn't have to be forced to pay $20 for the fig for its other "offical" use where it doesn't have any stats and no special bonus for being what it is, other than a correct visual representation of my character.

I know this may seem like a silly rant to some. But, I have been a tabletop RPG player for 17 years. For 17 years I could buy RPG table top figs for $3-$5 each. Suddenly, WotC decides I shouldn't have that option anymore, because they want to try to milk more money out of me.

That's my complant.

As I already said, WotC makes ZERO dollars off you buying the individual figure, so this isn't them trying to milk money out of you. If this figure that you want is as rare as you say and in a $15 booster pack, I really don't think $22 is a bad deal. It also sounds like this isn't the sort of investment you have to make an a regular basis unless you have ADD and need to make a new RPG character ever 20 minutes, so I don't think there's any reason at all to complain about this.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Look at it from another view point, Jeebus.

Let's say that WotC decided there was another offical use for Magic cards for another game they made. A game you have no interest in. Suddenly, the players of this new game started buying up all the Rare magic cards, making it even harder for M:TG players to aquire the cards they need for thier constructed decks. Wouldn't this bother you?

Also, Wizards are the one that decide which figures are rare and powerful. They know that these figs are going to be expensive in the aftermarket. So, they may not see extra profit from these, but they are directly responsible for them being so expensive.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It would bother me depending on how much they went up. The main reason I don't get your big complaint is because this ultra rare statue you want, which would be ultra rare regardless of the other game, is only 50% more expensive than a random pack. The MSRP on a pack of Magic cards is 3.99, so that's the equivalent of a $6 card. I have no issues buying a super rare card for 50% more than the cost of a booster pack. Sure your packs cost 4x as much, but percentage wise the increase on that statue is nothing, especially if it's ultra rare and ultra popular.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well the original point was, up until now, I could have bought a RPG mini for $3, and got anything I wanted. Now, I have to pay 25 cents up to $40 for each fig.

How is that fair?
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For every 1 figure that's $40, I'm sure there's 50+ that are $1 or less. How is it fair that you have to pay $40 for the figure you want? It's fucking supply and demand. If you and everyone else wants the same thing, that thing is going to cost more. There are a lot of reasons to hate Wizards, but this isn't one of them, it's an overreaction.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And since no one has the license/Hasbro won't give out the license to make pewter RPG figures (which really isn't a big money maker these days and would probably not be worth the investment), you're shit out of luck. I suggest looking into the Unleashed scale of figures; four to five roughly inch and a half tall figures from all over the SW universe (but sadly not KOTOR packs yet) that are in fixed action poses with broad bases. They would pretty much serve the same purpose as pewter figures, you'll just be a little more limited in your character creation choices.

Also, making the analogy that if WOTC released another game that used Magic cards to compare with this is a bit flawed. They didn't make the SW miniature game for RPG use then suddenly decide to cancel that use and create an all new game to use them in; there may have been generic pewter RPG SW figures before, but WOTC/Hasbro didn't destroy table top role playing to make way for the miniature game.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, this is an argument I cannot win, as I am the only tabletopper here.

2nd arguement about SW:M:

Knights Of The Old Republic set. I am running a KOTOR campaign, so this should be perfect for figs right? Wrong.

Set list:

OLD REPUBLIC

1. Atton Rand VR
2. Bao-Dur R
3. Carth Onasi VR
4. Juggernaut War Droid C
5. Master Lucien Draay VR
6. Mira VR
7. Old Republic Captain UC
8. Old Republic Guard C
9. Squint VR
10. Visas Marr R
11. Wookiee Elite Warrior C
12. Wookiee Trooper C
SITH

13. Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith VR
14. Darth Sion VR
15. Elite Sith Trooper UC
16. Sith Assassin UC
17. Sith Guard C
18. Sith Heavy Assault Droid UC
19. Sith Marauder UC
20. Sith Operative C
21. Sith Trooper Captain UC
REPUBLIC

22. Captain Panaka R
23. Captain Tarpals R
24. Gungan Artillerist C
25. Gungan Shieldbearer UC
26. Gungan Soldier C
27. Jar Jar Binks VR
28. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padawan VR
29. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine R
REBEL

30. Han Solo, Smuggler R
31. Leia Organa, Senator VR
32. Luke Skywalker, Jedi R
IMPERIAL

33. Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi R
34. RA-7 Death Star Protocol Droid UC
NEW REPUBLIC

35. General Wedge Antilles R
FRINGE

36. ASN Assassin Droid UC
37. Boma UC
38. Czerka Scientist C
39. Echani Handmaiden C
40. GenoHaradan Assassin C
41. Jarael R
42. Jawa Scout C
43. Jolee Bindo VR
44. Juhani VR
45. Kreia VR
46. Massiff UC
47. Mission Vao R
48. Rakghoul UC
49. Shyrack UC
50. T1 Series Bulk Loader Droid UC
51. T3-M4 R
52. Tusken Raider Scout C
53. Zaalbar R
54. Zayne Carrick R
MANDALORIAN

55. Mandalore the Ultimate VR
56. Mandalorian Captain UC
57. Mandalorian Commando C
58. Mandalorian Marauder C
59. Mandalorian Quartermaster UC
60. Mandalorian Scout C

Why are half of the figs in the set NOT Kotor era characters?

Obi-Wan, Leia, Luke, Vader, Gungans?

This is another reason that WotC new miniature sets piss me off.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 06:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If their SW is anything like HeroClix was, there're just some characters that MUST be present in every set (for that game it was Wolverine, Hulk, Elektra, and Spider-man). I imagine the same must be true for Luke, Obi-Wan, etc.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 21 2009 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed that Luke and Vader seem to be in every set, and that's fine.

But out of the set of 60 "KOTOR" figs:

5 are Gungans. (Not seen in KOTOR era, as they were not encountered until EP 1.)
Captain Panaka - Queen Amadala's bodyguard. (EP 1)
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Duh. (EP 1-6)
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine - (EP 2,3)
Han, Leia, Luke. - Core SW characters. I can forgive these.
Darth Vader - Same as above.
RA-7 Death Star Protocol Droid (???)
General Wedge Antilles (After Ep 6)
ASN Assassin Droid (???)

16 are definatley not KOTOR era. A few are more are questionable.

That's almost 1/3 the set.

And, if you are wondering where characters like Bastila Shan, Visa Marr, Darth Reven, Darth Treya, Darth Nihilus, HK-47, and Atris are? They are in other sets. Go figure.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think they kinda just name waves after the majority of the figures, not neccesarily solely for those characters. Hasbro does the same thing with the 3.5 inch figures; a wave referred to as an Empire Strikes Back wave will have like 4 or 5 ESB figures and a couple Clone Troopers or Count Dooku or something.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 07:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

From both a business and a marketing standpoint, the move makes sense. I've never heard of either game, so I can't imagine they're all that popular. By using the same pieces for both games, WOTC cuts down on production costs and is able to market the miniatures as two games in one. It also adds longetivity to miniatures, because both games have to fail before the miniatures get discontinued.

Also, collectible miniatures are expensive. Period. Look at Warhammer.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Warhammer are $3-$4 a fig, and you can pick which ones you want.

That's part of my original beef.

Although, In my quest to get a least one fig that is holding a lightsaber, I bought a booster yesterday, and got a "Cade Skywalker" (Whovever the hell that is), and looked him up to discover he is worth $43. Now I just have to find people who collect these things, or a shop that sells singles, so I can trade him for the ones I want.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 01:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:

Although, In my quest to get a least one fig that is holding a lightsaber, I bought a booster yesterday, and got a "Cade Skywalker" (Whovever the hell that is), and looked him up to discover he is worth $43. Now I just have to find people who collect these things, or a shop that sells singles, so I can trade him for the ones I want.

Unless Games Workshop is out of business and the game defunct, Warhammer is much more expensive than that. You can get figures for $3-4 I'm sure, but when I had to buy some as a birthday present for someone, I got a $10 and $12 figure, and those were some of the cheapest ones they had. (They were also just individual guys)

UsaSatsui wrote:

DoctorOrpheus
Title: Title: Title: Title
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Knyte wrote:

Unless Games Workshop is out of business and the game defunct, Warhammer is much more expensive than that. You can get figures for $3-4 I'm sure, but when I had to buy some as a birthday present for someone, I got a $10 and $12 figure, and those were some of the cheapest ones they had. (They were also just individual guys)

This.

I play Warhammer Fantasy and the pewter figures are never below 10 dollars. If you want a Hero/Lord, you generally end up paying closer to 20$.

ImageImage

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:

Cade is a descendant of Luke, like 150 years later. He's a drug addict and pretty evil even when he's trying to be good. In other words, he's awesome.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Knyte wrote:

Cade is a descendant of Luke, like 150 years later. He's a drug addict and pretty evil even when he's trying to be good. In other words, he's awesome.

Calling deathsticks (renamed cigs) a drug is debatable. But he brought back someone from the dead dere now dontchaknow.

Getting back on topic, dual use minis have problems. If I want to send a horde of undead against someone as a DM I'm sure as heck going to get a lot of peon skellies and maybe some ghouls. You might want to try maxminis.com (or it might be maximinis.com, try the first one) out if you've got a decent collection of them and are hunting around. I'm sure you'd find someone willing to trade you who you were looking for and then some for your Cade.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 22 2009 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cigarillos are cigarettes, deathsticks most certainly are not. Unless you've ever seen liquid cigarettes that come in glowing neon colors...

Reply to topic

Jump to: