SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Atlas Shrugged

Reply to topic
IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 03 2009 01:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anybody here read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? I just downloaded the audio book version and am looking forward to giving it a listen. I read that the basis for the game BioShock was based largely on this book. The length of the audio book is around 55 hours, thankfully it is broken up into 10 minute long MP3 files. Well if anybody here has read it please share your thoughts.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Apr 03 2009 01:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

simple
*me gives IceWarm a gun and a bullet*
Figure it out for yourself .... Neutral
Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 03 2009 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good story. I flew through it because the characters and story kept it addictive. If you're looking for a philisophical thing from it like other people do, you can do better. It's mostly straw men, and weighted arguments. It normally wouldn't bother me, but her psychotic fans really push it up as Bible 2: The Sequel, so it felt like she could have put her arguments up against a much better enemy if it she thought it was so solid.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 03 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's on my wish list on Amazon.com. The free market message looks very appealing to me. Had been meaning to get around to it eventually, anyway.

They're finally going to make a movie out of it apparently, because the recent bailout has piqued interest in the book again:

http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/03/with-atlas-shrugged-hollywood-may-have-its-first-antibailout-movie.html
IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 14 2009 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really enjoying the book so far. I'm only on the second chapter but it is pretty good. I'm actually reading a print edition I found at my parent's house. Small ass print and 1000+ pages.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 14 2009 09:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's an amazing book. I don't necessarily agree with what its promoting a lot of the time (and for great chunks of it she just straight up pisses me off), but its still a brilliant piece of work. I'm really glad you're reading it; well worth the effort/slog (depending how much you like her style.)

Fair warning though: successfully completing and comprehending an Ayn Rand novel will turn you into a people-hating asshole for a minimum of a week. Just so you know. Smile This Is A Joke

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 14 2009 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm on the second chapter and I figured what it is promoting and I don't really agree with it to the extreme presented in the book.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 15 2009 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
I don't really agree with it to the extreme presented in the book.

Would ya kindly give a round of BioShock a chance? Smile

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 15 2009 09:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
IceWarm wrote:

I played and beat BioShock on the 360 when it came out in 2007. It was my game of the year for 2007 as well.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Apr 15 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
IceWarm wrote:

Dude, when I got to that part...man. It was like "STUFF IS HAPPENING NOW!"

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: