[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG: Cards that only complete dicks play in multiplayer

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The following is a list of cards you should not play in casual multiplayer games of Magic. If you do, you're a complete dick.

Beacon of Tomorrows
Beacon of Immortality
Time Stretch
Epic Struggle
Helix Pinnacle
Mortal Combat
Coalition Victory
Battle of Wits
Barren Glory
Biorhythm
Door to Nothingness
Desolation Angel
Ajani Vengeant
Time Vault
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

God dammit Syd. Now I'm going to spend time I should be using to finish a paper...to look up a list of fucking MtG cards. Thanks a LOT. ( This Is A Joke duh)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Barren Glory
Biorhythm
Door to Nothingness

that is a good list, but I take issue with these three

Barren Glory: This is a diplomatic card, unless you build a combo around it, and there isn't a combo that goes off that I can think of that doesn't allow everyone else at the table to at least have a shot at stopping you, most likely by beating your face.

Biorhythm: Okay, I can sort of see how this is a dick move. It punishes control and allows a draw when used with a wraith variant. That being said, that takes ten mana, and by then control should at least be able to do something, like use a control spell or flash a creature into play.

Door to Nothingness: Another diplomatic. It is a treat that basically says, if you attack me, there will be retaliation. Then thing is, it cost 12 mana to activate, which is a lot, even for a multiplayer game. It also makes the player a huge target, as no one is going to want door to go off on them.

but maybe there is a story behind this list that I don't know about, but I know I will be add some in a little while
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, also Divine Intervention. Forcing stalemates is dumb. And playing Shahrazad is pretty shitty too.

Door to Nothingness could probably be stricken. It is expensive to play, comes in tapped, and basically says "Hey, you better kill me before I untap this". But anything that just straight up says "Target player loses" is in poor taste.

If someone is playing Biorhythm, then they're using is as an endgame, usually in tandem with heavy removal and/or Coat of Arms. When Biorhythm hits, if it doesn't kill you directly, you'll get run over by giant creatures. No one plays Biorhythm to force a draw. If they're plotting to Wrath/Biorhythm, you can bet they've got at least one indestructible guy on the board.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, out of my short time of playing Magic, I have not run into any of these cards. So I can honestly say that I played with good friends! *Cheesy thumbs up*

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What about throwing out a Cho-Manno with a Pariah on him?

My buddy will instantly forfeit the game when I play this combo, depending on which deck he is playing. Is it really that cheap? There's tons of way around this.
nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
What about throwing out a Cho-Manno with a Pariah on him?

My buddy will instantly forfeit the game when I play this combo, depending on which deck he is playing. Is it really that cheap? There's tons of way around this.

not at all, especially in multiplayer, where wraiths every few turns is common

Impending Disaster
Rule of Law, and it blue counterpart

cards I feel should be added to the list, I am sure I will think of more
IceWarm
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
God dammit Syd. Now I'm going to spend time I should be using to finish a paper...to look up a list of fucking MtG cards. Thanks a LOT. ( This Is A Joke duh)

Here you go...http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/, it lets you look up any MtG card.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, then you're gonna hate the next From the Vault set Syd, it's called Exiles and it's all cards that are banned or restricted. And you know Jeebus is going to get at least one of them...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 02:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can add a few:

Limited Resources
Astral Slide

hmmm...

More later.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 03:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm surprised he didn't list Test of Endurance too, and I even play with that!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 05:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
Impending Disaster
Rule of Law, and it blue counterpart

cards I feel should be added to the list, I am sure I will think of more

Disagree with those. Why Impending Disaster? We might as well include every "destroy all land" cards, and I don't think that's necessary. I picked Desolation Angel because it's usually played with mana engines for a quick lock and Ajani because his destructo ability targets a player.

Someone said Limited Resources though, which I will definitely agree with. I tried that once. Didn't work so well. And Mana Web should probably be on the list too.

Crap, I did forget Test of Endurance. Damn.

Also: Planar Chaos.

Cho-Manno and Pariah isn't all that scary. There plenty of basic ways to deal with that: Wrath, Path To Exile, Terror, Eradicate, Swords To Plowshares, Slaughter, etc. Pariah on an indestructible guy is a much scarier combo, though not completely unmanageable either.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 08:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, petty much? Also, you left some off:
Forsaken Wastes
Megrim
Underworld Dreams
Price of Progress
Primal Order
Ruination
Armageddon and all Armageddon effects

Of course, I'm not surprised you forgot things like Forsaken Wastes and Price of Progress since they're cards you use and you refuse to accept any fault of your own, but the ones I'm REALLY surprised you forgot:
Yosei, the Morning Star
Kokusho, the Evening Star (I refuse to believe you would make a real list and aren't just being petty and bitchy if you forgot this card. It is THE unfair multiplayer card)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 09:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

1. basic geddon is fine
2. morning star and evening star are good calls
3. megrim is only bad if you follow it up with wheel of fortune. If you don't, you're marked for death starring Steven Seagal
4. I haven't played Price of Progress in a month, but since you're still bitching about it, maybe I will. Not every deck needs $200 in land.
5. Nothing wrong with forsaken wastes. It hits everyone and it's not abusable.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 09:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
1. basic geddon is fine
2. morning star and evening star are good calls
3. megrim is only bad if you follow it up with wheel of fortune. If you don't, you're marked for death starring Steven Seagal
4. I haven't played Price of Progress in a month, but since you're still bitching about it, maybe I will. Not every deck needs $200 in land.
5. Nothing wrong with forsaken wastes. It hits everyone and it's not abusable.

1. Mass land destruction in multiplayer is never fine. Actually, it's never fine at all, which is why they don't print it anymore (They barely print targetted land destruction, and almost never print playable land destruction).
3. I suppose Megrim isn't bad by itself, but if you're playing it then you're playing Wheel and Memory Jar and stuff too.
4. We haven't played Kokusho in years and it's still unfair. Price of Progress stunts creativity by restricting what we can use for land. Also, if you can go an entire game without doing ANYTHING, then tap 2 mana and win the game at instant speed, the card is unfair.
5. Forsaken Wastes isn't abusable and it's certainly not ban-worthy, but it's generally unfun because life gain is a big part of multiplayer (At least half your decks half life gain, I think all of Black Zaraks do, and most of mine do). When you only have 20 life and multiple opponents, it's important to be able to survive.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

all your decks with life gain grossly abuse it. If you didn't feel the need to get into triple digits every game, I wouldn't feel the need to play wastes.
There is plenty of mana fixing in Alara. You don't need dual lands. You just like showing off.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

also, every color hoser.

COPs are acceptable in combos.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
all your decks with life gain grossly abuse it. If you didn't feel the need to get into triple digits every game, I wouldn't feel the need to play wastes.
There is plenty of mana fixing in Alara. You don't need dual lands. You just like showing off.

I use the mana fixing in Alara (Or rather, Conflux). I use the Rupture Spire in several decks and Ancient Ziggurat is going in too. No I don't NEED dual lands in my 5 color decks, but it sure as fuck adds consistency.

UsaSatsui wrote:

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

recurring nightmare is for retardos too... and only jerks would play it with survival of the fittest, thats just mean!! MEAN!

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

APLETHORAOFPINATAS wrote:
recurring nightmare is for retardos too... and only jerks would play it with survival of the fittest, thats just mean!! MEAN!

I was gonna mention that one too, but I did build Sauron 2.0 in the hopes you'd join us for melee again.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Price of progress is still pretty gay though; yeah, there's plenty of mana fixing out there, but why would I fill out slots in my decks with things like Obelisks, slots that could be taken by things actually relevant to the deck's theme, when I could just use a dual land instead? I know you build your decks primarily to fuck with Jeebus, but it's super annoying to everyone else too when you exploit something that most everyone these days uses in high numbers.

And Jeebus, you're no saint. I say all the time that it's not fun to play against you because you spend upwards of ten minutes on a single turn (or God forbid, just reacting to someone doing something on THEIR turn) and despite your claims that all your decks are for fun and easily defeated, you tend to win 9 out of 10 games.

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your version of Sauron is totally a cop out to whiners who though it was an unfair deck! That is not my creation!!!!

In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 01:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

APLETHORAOFPINATAS wrote:
Your version of Sauron is totally a cop out to whiners who though it was an unfair deck! That is not my creation!!!!

Well send me a list and I'll build it to your exact specifications if you'll come play cards again.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude no, I like you Plethora, but the last thing we need in our play group is another annoying ass deck!

APLETHORAOFPINATAS
PostPosted: Mar 18 2009 02:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You don't know annoiying ass decks till you seen this bad boy black zarack, this thing eats annoiying ass decks for breakfast!! BREAKFAST!!!!!

Reply to topic

Jump to: