SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Anybody Been To Live Wrestling Events?

Reply to topic
IceWarm
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only been to one back in 2003. My cousins and I went to WWE Vengeance in the end of July. It was pretty awesome since it was the first and only live wrestling event I've been to. The best match on the card in my opinion was Eddie Guerrero VS Chris Benoit for the United States title. The World’s Greatest Tag Team VS Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr. was also a hell of a match.

I remember my cousin's friend having box seats for the show and he even came down to out seats for a few minutes to talk to us and he even said that he liked our seats better than the box seats. Smile I believe out seats were about $60 each and they had a pretty good view of the ring and the entire floor. I think the ringside seats were about $200 but you also got to keep the padded folding chair which had the WWE logo embroidered onto them. Well that's the only show I've ever been to. Share you live wrestling experiences here.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went to a House Show with both Smackdown and ECW guys back on my birthday in 2006, it was pretty cool since the main event was Batista vs. Booker T in a cage match and it was actually a pretty damn good match. I also got to high five Bobby Lashley after he won his match who I forget he was facing....and I got a nice picture of Chris Benoit doing his flying headbutt.

It was awesome.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been o 2 WCW events. One at the height of the nWo at the Superdome I think. Hogan came out to Jimi Hendrix in the Black and White. It was awesome. I can't remember a specific match from that night, except how incredibly loud the entrance muisc was played.

Toward the end of the nWo run, with Red/Black and Black/White I saw it again. Slightly different seats. Great experience, I loved being there. This time I think it was at the New Orleans Arena.

Nitro repeated right after, so I got to go back home and watch the show I just saw live Smile

I've seen a Raw taping in Biloxi, Mississippi. Again, don't remember much about the card. This was the event I got to meet Hurricane Helms and some other wrestlers after the show. Victoria was following some other wrestler to the next venue. My friend was a huge fan and didn't get to meet her Razz His DID however, get a 2nd chance at the next event I saw.

The Royal Rumble, in Miami, 2000 something. Angle vs Mark Henry was on the card. Trish was also wrestling. Taker was there. AWESOME show. Mickie James may have been there too, I don't remember percisely. It was a whole trip on it's own to go see the Rumble with friends we knew who played the card game, "WWE Raw Deal". A bunch of wrestling fans, meeting some wrestlers at Fan Axxess before(Edge, Lita, Victoria), then watching the show later. AWESOME.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been to RAW twice. Once the return of Stone Cold after getting hit with the car, once was the return of the Undertaker after one of his breaks. Both times were between 1999 and 2000, I believe.

I'd love to see TNA live. Wish I had gone to Lockdown when they had it in Lowell. I'm bummed I never saw WCW live.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't been to a PPV or televised event, but I've been to a bunch of house shows. I love it. They tend to do a lot more at the house shows, probably because they don't have to worry about pleasing a wider audience and they can even tailor shit to the area they're wrestling in.

RIP Hacker.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only been to Wrestlemania 19 in Seattle.

However, they are doing a double Smackdown taping in Portland, on Feb 17th. If there are any good (Read: Non-nosebleed section) tickets left when I get paid, I might go.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not in years.

WWF usually went to the Rosemont Horizon, which is now the Allstate Arena. Saw Jericho's debut on 9/9/99, as well as a bunch of other Raws, and a PPV.

My friends and I used to heckle Test by chanting "Teeest.....icle". Amusingly, when I channel-switched to Raw a few years after I stopped watching, I saw that Stacy Kiebler was using it as a name for his "fans." So, in a way, they stole our idea. Although, it could be an easy enough connection that anyone could have thought of it...
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No Way Out 2003. Rock vs Hogan 2 and Stone Cold's return after walking out. His match against Bischoff was pretty dumb but whatever. Me and Trish were actually on camera at one point when they showed my sign. After you see me, Benoit comes out. It was awesome. RVD's pyro was the hottest, followed closely by Kane's.

I also went to a house show in Newfoundland in 2002. Got autographs from Edge and Lance Storm, and told Chuck Palumbo that I loved him.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had an autograph from Charles Robinson, the Narcis Prince of wrestling, but I've lost it moving around so much over the years. v_v

RIP Hacker.

Ba'al
PostPosted: Feb 05 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have an autographed pic of Bruno Sammartino that was passed down to me from my grandma.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck yes. I've been to two lives shows of Monday Night Raw. My dad at a friend at the Sports Arena then, so I even got to go backstage the first time. Where I met my wrestling idol, Shawn Michaels *insert googly eye hearts* Got his autograph and everything. I must have sounded like a jackass because I could barely speak, but...it was fucking amazing. I also got to meet Big Show. And I've GOT to dig up the picture of me and him for you guys. Funniest fucking thing ever, because he is SO fucking huge, and I (while it goes without saying that I am a complete and total badass soldier-scholar Wink ), am only 4'10''. The juxtaposition is...amusing, to say the least. I think he literally could have covered my head in his hand. Nicest guy, though. Very gentle and surprisingly soft spoken.

Second time I went, my friend and I actually got on TV. They don't light up the audience so you couldn't really see our faces, but we recognized our signs--we brought a ton of them of course, but the one that got on the air was a big two poster "SAY WOOOOOO" that we held up for Ric Flairs entrance.

God, those were good times.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 07:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not exactly sure how many I've been to. I'll try to list all of them,

When I was a young kid, I went to a couple of Central States Wrestling (Kansas City territory) shows and got to see guys like Bulldog Bob Brown and Rufus R Jones.

I also got to go to a WWF house show. I think it was early 1988 because it was just before Wrestlemania IV.

After that, I didn't get to go to another show until 1998, sometime before Goldberg won the WCW World Championship. I remember in the main event, he fought Bam Bam Bigelow. The match lasted only a few seconds.

I went the the WCW Slamboree PPV in 2000. It was the one where David Arquette, Jeff Jarrett and DDP fought for the WCW World Championship in the triple tier cage from Ready to Rumble. This is the one we went to where the guy working the cage tipped us off to where the wrestlers were staying. We went to the hotel and got to meet several of them.

If you want to read about the show and results, here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamboree

I went to WWE Raw in Omaha in Feb 2004. Here is a link to a summary of the show.
http://rajah.com/base/node/155

That night, we went to a Fozzy (Chris Jericho's band) concert. Stone Cold showed up with Bubba Ray, Randy Orton and Mark Jindrak.

The very next night, I was at the Smackdown taping in Kansas City. Here is a link to the recap.
http://rajah.com/base/2004/199

I went to Smackdown in March 2006. Here is the link for that show.
http://rajah.com/base/node/5051

I went to the WWE New Years Revolution PPV in 2007. Here is the link.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Revolution_(2007)[/url]

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been to quite a few, but not in a very long time.

One in particular I went to was pretty damn epic. It was a RAW in San Jose, the night right after a big PPV event (forget which one). Austin and HHH vs Jericho and Chris Benoit in a tag match was the main event. It was the match described in the last paragraph in this section, actually.
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was supposed to go to the show in KC on May 23, 1999 (the show where Owen died) but it was the day of my graduation and so my parents decided I couldn't go at the last minute.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 02:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say live WWF events, in the post-2000 era, are dreadfully boring. You don't get to hear the announcers' commentary, and the actual wrestling is so incredibly poor that's just not fun to go to.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I have to say live WWF events, in the post-2000 era, are dreadfully boring. You don't get to hear the announcers' commentary, and the actual wrestling is so incredibly poor that's just not fun to go to.

I think it all depends. Sometimes the shows are awesome, sometimes they can be very lacking. The biggest thing you have to get used to is not having the commentary. When I was a kid, it was great and I didn't think about it because I was in awe. I was a kid. But the first hosue show I went to when I was older, it just seemed very ackward not having commentary. The more shows I went to, along with going to quite a few sporting events, I got used to it.

Also, it really depends on the show. If you get to see a hell in the cell or TLC match, it is going to be a little more neat than a straight up match. I would also say that at least most of the shows now days do a good job on showcasing the top talent where if you went to an old house show back in the day, you would pretty much get to see either jobbers, or midcarders putting over talent, or you would get to see developmental talent (which can be cool). But you didn't get to see as much in the form of story line progression, main fueds, and top stars who only do televised shows. So in that regard, the shows have got better.

On the other hand wrestling in general isn't as good. The weekly tv shows are stacked so when you get to a PPV, it seems less important. Also, by that time, you have already seen most of the featured matches in some form, be it special rules, special tag team, triple threat, non-title, etc. They shove different matches with the same people all month only to supposedly have some resolution at the PPV. In some cases, the fued continues and we get another month of the same crap to set up the following PPV. I think it makes all of the shows a lot less spectacular.

But at least at live events, you get the interaction. At one show, we actually started a USA chant that the whole crowd eventually joined in on. Plus you get to interact with wrestlers during the show and meet them after the show. It's still pretty fun for me.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 02:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, even before then Syd, I lamented the inability to hear the announcers during the show. It's not like being at a sports event where you can just look up at the scoreboard or the jumbotron for the score and stats for what's happening at any moment.
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Yeah, even before then Syd, I lamented the inability to hear the announcers during the show. It's not like being at a sports event where you can just look up at the scoreboard or the jumbotron for the score and stats for what's happening at any moment.

Don't you feel like the atmosphere makes up for it. Interacting with the crowd, starting chants, booing wrestlers, actually getting to yell WHOOOOOO! when Flair gives someone a chop, saying "WHAT?" along with Stone Cold, chanting You Suck during Angle's music, etc are all things that you don't think of when you are at home, but become as memorable as some of the traditions at sporting events once you are doing them at a show.

Also, all of the bonus stuff you get to do with a live show. Getting to meet wrestlers, or when I got to go watch Jericho's band after Raw. None of that would have ever happened if I had stayed home and watched.

Personally, I think the commentary should be broadcast on the radio so you can listen on headphones or an earpiece while you are there. I know a lot of people who do that at sporting events. Maybe if you could do it at wrestling events as well, it would help.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the atmosphere did make up for that somewhat, but once the product started to deteriorate in 2001 or so, there became no reasons to go anymore.

I was never able to interact with them myself. I usually had pretty good seats, but it was near impossible to get ringside seats - and believe me I tried. I remember getting to the local ticketmaster office early in the morning the day they went on sale to be first in line so that the seats I got were the best possible.

The closest to interaction I got was seeing the Fink run into a 7-11 that my friends and I had just visited after a show and were driving away from.

The radio broadcast would have been a great idea.
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Yes, the atmosphere did make up for that somewhat, but once the product started to deteriorate in 2001 or so, there became no reasons to go anymore.

I was never able to interact with them myself. I usually had pretty good seats, but it was near impossible to get ringside seats - and believe me I tried. I remember getting to the local ticketmaster office early in the morning the day they went on sale to be first in line so that the seats I got were the best possible.

The closest to interaction I got was seeing the Fink run into a 7-11 that my friends and I had just visited after a show and were driving away from.

The radio broadcast would have been a great idea.

If you ever go again, or even if you don't go but a show comes to town, ask around and find out where the wrestlers stay. They usually hang out in the lobby for a while when they get there meeting fans and signing autographs and such.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 05:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah, that reminds me that at many events I went to, numerous fans would come early to wait at the entrance for the arrivals of the wrestlers. So, I suppose I could have seen some of them, but that would have entailed coming way early and wasting a lot of time.
Ba'al
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even without the announcers, the house show I went to was much better than watching RAW or Smackdown on television. I didn't really care that there were no announcers, the multiple chants being made(I only remember one where some guys chanted "Overrated" when CM Punk was wrestling) were much more filling to me.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Oh yeah, that reminds me that at many events I went to, numerous fans would come early to wait at the entrance for the arrivals of the wrestlers. So, I suppose I could have seen some of them, but that would have entailed coming way early and wasting a lot of time.

Well, you don't really see much before the show and really don't see a whole lot after the show if you are waiting by the entrance. Most of the people waiting there are so intent on catching a glimse of these guys that it is borderline obsessive. And after all is said and done, you maybe get a ref or a ring announcer or maybe if you are lucky, some midcard talent to come give an autograph. I like fucking with them. You run up yelling that some wrestlers are on the other side of the building and they all take off running.

You have better luck either finding out where they stay or waiting to see if any come back out to the floor after the show. Sometimes, they even come out during the show down to either side of the ring entrance and sign for people. It's usually by the stairs so people can come down and get autographs.

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Feb 06 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never been to a WWE event or anything like that, but I have been to a few indy shows. Got Dusty Rhodes' autograph at one of them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Feb 08 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

The first time I saw WWE was at Summerslam I believe. Then I saw two regular shows. Oh yeah, and I can't forget about "Rowdy Wrestling".

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: