SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Any plans to review Classic Sierra Adventure games?

Reply to topic
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's a lot of gooduns, Day of The TentacleWhoops LucasArts my bad, Kings Quest 6, The Space Quest Series, Police quest 4 etc.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was a HUGE Kings Quest fan, starting with the very first one, on 2 disks played on my brother's tandy, that didn't even have a hard drive, you had to boot it with a disk, and, the memory was all ram no rom, though I think I just explained that. Police quest was dope as hell, as well

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Day of the Tentacle is a LucasArts game. It's the sequel to Maniac Mansion. Regardless, reviewing any top-notch point-and-click/graphical adventure game would be cool.

RIP Hacker.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A review of DotT would be amazing.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You should review Mixed-up Mother Goose Syd.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Blackout
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Police Quest 4's voice over reactions to random item clickery and item combinations are hilarious, it sounds like Detective John Carey is schizophrenic and talking to himself, and in many instances he does address you the player as himself, instant comedy. It would make great review material, hell I wanted to do it but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the print screen button to work while running it in DOSBOX. Confused Any technical minded folks out there know a solution?

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Reviews of LucasArts or Sierra Adventure Games is a FUCKING OUTSTANDING idea. I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 08:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with something like this is how indepth it is; it's not like a sidescrolling NES game with 6 levels. Consider King's Quest 1:
There are like 150 points you can obtain in the game, all or most of which should be covered. There are, I'm pretty sure, hundreds of ways to die in the game, and all or most of those should be covered. Plus, the relatively free form exploration mode of the game makes writing an article less than a linear proposition.

Not saying that it isn't possible, but that's more of a novel than an article.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

TopShelf
Title: Not the Pantry
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
The problem with something like this is how indepth it is; it's not like a sidescrolling NES game with 6 levels. Consider King's Quest 1:
There are like 150 points you can obtain in the game, all or most of which should be covered. There are, I'm pretty sure, hundreds of ways to die in the game, and all or most of those should be covered. Plus, the relatively free form exploration mode of the game makes writing an article less than a linear proposition.

Not saying that it isn't possible, but that's more of a novel than an article.

That is a good point, it would be a lot work to do it correctly. Maybe a top 20-30 list for adventure/puzzle games in that era could be done. Most of those titles had atleast 4 or 5 sequels to them. Fuck, I think there was even 7 or 8 games for Leisure suit Larry.

"I'm the best actor/model and not the other way around! -Fabio

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had wanted to review KQ5 at one point, but I need to find a copy of the Windows CD version, as I believe that was the version with voice acting and songs. I have a DOS version that I, uh, found, but either the voice acting isn't in it or the drivers are so old that they don't fucking work. I believe the problem is the former though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 02:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could probably find a way to downloadit and then play it in DosBox. Although, I've had trouble getting cd audio to play in that program.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do use DOSBox so I guess it's that the DOS version doesn't support voices. So until I either get around to buying the Windows CD version off eBay, or "find" it somewhere, it's not happening.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember correctly, all those "collections" aren't complete. The ones released by Sierra when the company was still alive and not bought out by Vivendi were more complete collections. I remember buying the LSL & PQ ones, and they were pretty comprehensive.

If that KQ5 has voices though, it would serve the purpose. From what I've heard about Vivendi's collections of Sierra games, I would not guarantee it, though.

Just FYI
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 05:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that collection looks pretty weak. I used to have one that came out shortly before KQ7. It had KQ1 - KQ6 in their original forms, as well as the 1990 VGA remake of KQ1. Unfortunately, the collection disappeared. I believe I lent it to a friend and never got it back.
Blackout
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Someone tell me how to screenshot while running PQ4 in dosbox, I wanna write an article about Detective John Carey's Schizophrenia . Mad

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 08:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't Vald review a "Classic Sierra game" already?

Syd Lexia wrote:
I do use DOSBox so I guess it's that the DOS version doesn't support voices. So until I either get around to buying the Windows CD version off eBay, or "find" it somewhere, it's not happening.

The DOS version doesn't have the voices. They're on the CD.

And oh God yes, you need to find the one with the voices. It's SO much unintentionally funnier.

Incidentally, if anyone wants a video walkthrough of the NES one...
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CTRL F5 to screenshot in DOSBox
Blackout
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet, let's see how tedious this gets, Ima try to do a thread with screen shots. Smile

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, VDMSound is a good solution to sound problems with DOS games running on XP.

I am a fucking adventure game addict. Space Quest, while not as in depth or serious, was a great series of games. Plus there is Discworld, Spellcasting 101 and it's sequels, Beneath a Steel sky, all great fucking games. Also, Dune 1 was pretty sweet, the CD version of course. I still have those and all the Commander Keen on a disk somewhere, gotta find that.
Blackout
PostPosted: Jan 17 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzell wrote:
Hey guys, VDMSound is a good solution to sound problems with DOS games running on XP.

I am a fucking adventure game addict. Space Quest, while not as in depth or serious, was a great series of games. Plus there is Discworld, Spellcasting 101 and it's sequels, Beneath a Steel sky, all great fucking games. Also, Dune 1 was pretty sweet, the CD version of course. I still have those and all the Commander Keen on a disk somewhere, gotta find that.

I can't get into the last space quest, DOS BOX runs it at an unacceptable speed, and I lack the technical know how or patience to screw around with the settings. Was it any good stacked up against the others? Confused

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 17 2009 07:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

One of the higher number function buttons lets you decrease the cycle speed . Forget which one. Search the README file for "cycle" and you'll find it.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm stoked because I just got "Day of the Tentacle", "Beneath a Steel Sky", and "Flight of the Amazon Queen" to work perfectly with DOSBOX, with the music, sounds and voices perfectly intact. Yay! Everyone should check out these sweet ass games.

And Blackout, Space Quest 5 was alright, but after the 3rd one they are pretty much the same. Fun for a while but I never bothered to beat them.
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always use ScummVM for those and any other SCUMM-based games. Works effortlessly. Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen you can even get for free from the ScummVM website.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 19 2009 02:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's what I meant. I use ScummVM for Beneath a Steel Sky and Amazon Queen, but I have the Cd version of Tentacle and have to mount it, and can't figure out how to play it with ScummVM. But anyways, they are all great games.
Reply to topic

Jump to: