[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
top 100 list Redux?

Reply to topic
Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Nov 15 2008 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Top_100_Games_for_the_NES_Console

I normally take what diggers say with a grain of salt since they are usually uber liberals obsessed with Linux and hate anything Republican. I did think some of the users did make some goods points while others were just being dicks.

I personally think the list was great, this is one of the main reasons I chose to join Syd because i felt this article was really good and seemed to have put alot of work into it. I do think that maybe updating the list wouldn't hurt. I know Syd has alot on his plate already, but it might be something interesting to do in the future.

Its hard to take a list seriously that ranks a boy and his blob over super c.

---------------------------------------------------

This coming from someone who has a petition on their homepage to get Michael "Donkylips" Bower (of salute your shorts fame) into a new movie. (I kid you not, take a look at the home page...)

While i never agree with top 100 lists for any game system(s), they usually come somewhat close to what one would expect, make for a good read, and offer suggestions for games i had not previously played before... this one is no exception. digg++
------------------------------------------------------

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean the rest of the TMNT games were good but the first one.....oh god I don't even recall that game. *vomits* And the worst part is that it beat out 3 mega man games, ninja gaiden II, Double Dragon II, Techno Bowl, Rygar, and Snakes Revenge. I call BS on this list!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batman is placed way too high on the list, especially considering Roger Rabbit got better placement. WTF? You guys tell me which one's more fun to play

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this was an absolutely interesting read, very funny and a great time waster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From #75 (Jaws):
"Additionally, this game taught several important life lessons. Number one, bombs are perfectly reasonable way to deal with jellyfish. Number two, conch shells are just as good as money. And number three, stingrays can ***** you up pretty bad. Here's your obligatory Steve Irwin joke. Enjoy."

LMAO! OMG I know it's awful but I haven't laughed so hard in ages. I love 8-bit graphics with jokes. =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dugg for the Micro Machines comment:

", but if you pick anyone other than Spider, you're an idiot. Seriously, who the ***** else would you possibly pick? Walter The Fatty?"

drewbocop
PostPosted: Nov 15 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just read through the comments on digg and I'd have to agree with most of them, really. Especially "Its hard to take a list seriously that ranks a boy and his blob over super c." Seriously.

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my opinion as someone who considers themselves a little more than casual gamer.

1.Super Mario Brothers 3

Great Choice and I think most mainstream gamers would agree, some say Legend of Zelda should be 1, but I think they made the right choice in putting this number 1.

2.Final Fantasy
I never played this game, but I think the impact it had on the RPG genre deserves a number 2 or 3 spot

3.Legend of Zelda
Never played this as a kid either, but I played Zelda 2. As an adult I can see it being a satisfying game that was one of many that helped redefine video games.

4 and 5. Mega Man 2 and 3
While I disagree they should be in the top 5, I agree they are definately top 10. I thought they were great platformers but compared to Contra this game was to kiddish for me and appeals to a certain type of gamer beyond the casual, but its easy to play and memorable so its definately a good game just a little overated in my opinon.

6.Bubble Bobble
While I think this game is highly overated and is more of a top 20, I will say that there are people who love puzzle games and this probably is the best example of that genre. Its another game that is a little too kiddish but satisfying to the right audience

7.Contra
Definately more of a top 5 game, one of the best 2 player games on the NES. This game appeals on a mainstream level and is even better than the arcade port in terms of overall length despite worse graphics. Its legendary in the NES generation and still continues to be fun today.

8.Castlevania III
Right were it should be, no arugments here.

9. Battletoads
This is the one game that really doesn't deserve to be on the top 10. I can honestly think of about 20 games better than this one despite being 2 player fun. It doesn't have the lasting appeal as other games rated lower.

10.Super Mario Bros.
Its hard to rate this game since it was a pak in, but I think putting it at 10 does it justice as the impact it gave to pushing gaming to levels never thought possible.

11.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.
I had this game as a kid and it was definately badass 2 player fun, should it be ranked at 11?, I am not totally sure, while more satisfying than the original, the replay value on this sucks after going through it the 3rd time, you get really tired of it eventually and it's lasting appeal goes more along with being better than 1 by a longshot.

12.Metroid
I never fully could get into this game. I do think 12 is a fair spot considering this a game my aunt actually played through while she was sick. So it does have a mass appeal on being easy to pick and play. I could never get into the Metroid universe as a gamer though, even though i think female character leads are badass if used right.

13.Mike Tyson's Punchout
I agree with this choice, maybe a ranking at 15 or 16 would be more reasonable to me but I will agree with this.This is one of those games everyone had.Mike Tyson ruled all when we were kids. It was a solid game that was fun to play even though it hasn't exactly aged perfectly. I think its easy to remember this game, but its not exactly the greatest games on the NES either.

14.Tetris
This should be top 10 on some lists, but as an NES game I would rank this game lower.This game is much more satisfying on the gameboy when your on a card ride or bored stuck somewhere. I could never get into playing this game on the NES.
On the Gameboy,this game is 1, on the NES much lower.

15.Startropics
This is one game as a kid I regret not getting to play. While I am not much of an RPG person, this seems to be a perfect mix of different elements for mainstream gamers to get into and enjoy. I would rank this at about 20 because I never met anyone who had this game as a kid, it was a harder to find title that a majority of the NES generation didnt get to play despite being a Nintendo release, at least the 30 or so kids I played Nintendo growing up with never even heard of it.

16. Ninja Gaiden
I didnt play this game as a kid, but I am willing to let it rest at 16 because of the people who have fond memories of it

17.Maniac Mansion
I loved this game as a kid and I am glad it was high on the list, but it is definately somewhere more around 25 or 26 to the casual gamer. The game is engrossing and the puzzles are hard. The replay value isnt bad because you can have different endings, but once all the endings are played out its replay value goes down the toilet.

18.Crystalis
This game should rank somewhere in the 30's because this game isn't something the mainstream NES gamers would put this high. As an RPG title title it is solid, but a good compromise would be 23 or 24.Duck Tales I think would be a perfect spot here just because of its awesome soundtrack alone.

19.Metal Gear
While I don't think this series really started until the Playstation, I will let a 19 spot rest here without too much debate.

20.Mega Man
Mega Man has too many places on the top 20 list. I think this was the biggest glairing weakness in this list. I think grouping the entire Mega Man series at the 7 spot would be a good compromise in my opinion.

JRA
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!!

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Super C was on the list. It's like 40 something or 50 something. And if you input the Super C code on the Super C page, you'll get a fun surprise.

The list isn't perfect, and I might do a redux at some point. Also, I never claimed it was perfect. I would say that the Top 20 is damn near flawless though. Especially Crystalis. The list was never meant to be based on sales figures or designed to pander to casual gamers. Only game in the Top 20, I would really like to see go is Maniac Mansion. It is a great game, but it really needs a mouse. I would have put RCR in the Top 20 instead.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

21. Super Mario 2

I really thought this game was fun as a child and I think it could use a few bumps in ranking.I think Syd and company made alot of great points that I agree with on this one, just needs to be a little higher.

22. River City Ransom

Yeah this game is fun and definately fits well at number 22 despite not being as popular as other NES title.

23.Castlevania
Great game, great music, satisfying experience. I think it should be moved into the top 20, but I will accept 23 as Castelvania III has a spot on the top 10.

24.Duck Hunt
This should be group in with SMB at number 10. 95 percent of people had the SMB/Duckhunt pakin.Its lasting appeal is rated a little high on this list.

25.Zelda II
I had this game as a kid and I thought it was dang hard, alot of LOZ fanboys hated this game with a passion even though I liked the graphical improvements and sidscrolling action. 25 is an ok spot even though im sure there are games out there that are more satisfying. Having the Zelda name really helps this game.

26.Shadowgate.
Not in my top 30, put to RPGers I will say its a solid game

27.Basewars
I had this game as a kid, and as a sports game it is solid. I would rank it at like 40 though because its appeal only goes so far, then you realize the computer fucks you over in certain situations.

28.Duck Tales
Needs to be moved up,bottom line

29.Dragon Warriors III

Should fall somewhere around 35, still a good game but not a top 30

30.Bionic Commando
Perfect spot at 30, it was a very good game but fails in other areas, the gameplay mechanics will be annoyin to gamers at first and some will just give up instead of learning them.

31.Dr.Mario
I see this as more of a Jeebus inclusion. I will let it rest here just because I know Jeebus will rip me a new asshole.

32.Ironsword
A great rental type game, 32 is fine for me

33.ExciteBike
I don't get how people think this game should be higher. While i loved Excitetruck on the Wii, this game was a launch game that just happened to be good, nothing else.

34.Castlevania II
This game gets so much flack because of the AVGN picking out its flaws, while I agreed with him on that stupid ducking next to mountain crap, I think he failed to realize that their are at least 100 or more games that are less fun than this on the NES. Castelvania II isnt a horrible game and most people found it fun despite its flaws, I would personally rank it around 40.

35.Kid Icarus
A Solid launch game on the NES, I will accept 35

36.Paperboy
PLEASE MOVE THIS GAME TO LIKE 60, I hated this game so much as a kid, I dont see how people have found memories of this game, I encourage people to go back and realize this game has the feel of being programmed in a week. I guess some players like it because of the 2600 gameplay feel it has to it, but as an NES title it sucks. Please Syd move this one lower

37.Willow
Fun Rental Game, 37 is ok but somewhere in the 50's is more realistic for casual gamers

38.A Boy and his Blob
This games's rating is too high, while im sure I will get flamed for this, I will say alot of games I believe are better than this one, I will leave it at that.

39.Blaster Master
Move it into the mid 40's

40.Dragon Warrior
This game is a good RPG, 40 is actually a little low

41.Pirates!
I have never heard of this game, seems really obscure to be this high

42.Little Nemo
Should be listed higher, but it is damn hard and the kiddie feel is a little too much for me.

43.Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
Should be in the 50's

44.Gradius
Great Shooter, should be higher

45.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
While its disapointing as a turtles game, its not horrible as an NES game. 45 is fair for it.

46.Kirby Adventure
Probably would be higher on some people's lists.

48.Mega Man 4 and 5
Just group the entire series at 7 as I mentioned earlier

49.Blades of Steel
I feel Syd put this on here because of having too many RPG's in the top 50.Put Double Dribble here or Arch Rivals.

50.Adventure Island
Platformer that isnt great but still a fun rental.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 01:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ermac wrote:
49.Blades of Steel
I feel Syd put this on here because of having too many RPG's in the top 50.Put Double Dribble here or Arch Rivals.

Absolutely not.

If it was up to me personally, the only sports games on the list would be Ice Hockey, Base Wars, and Little League Baseball, because those are the only sports games I truly enjoy. I'm not just talking NES games either; I mean ever.

I believe Rycona and greeneyedzeke pushed Blades of Steel onto the list.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Chrisby
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 01:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blades of Steel is awesome.
Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

#51: Faxanadu

I love sidescrolling games and this is a good one, nice at 51

#52: Super C
I think everyone will agree that this game is WAY TOO FUCKING HARD. I still don't see how its rated this low though. If your up for a fucking challenge and loved Contra, then this game is for you. It isn't for the faint of heart definately. The enjoyable Contra engine is enough to bring this game up 10 spaces or more.

#53: Dragon Warrior IV
I agree with Syd,Not as good as III, seems like a fair spot for it

#54: Tecmo Super Bowl
I loved football as a kid but this game sucked in my opinion. I guess the people that play Madden today would kick my ass because this is what they started on, but the graphics flat out suck and I would rather play football in real life than this game. Just keep it where it is because of the people who have good memories of this game

#55: Ice Climber
This game should be lower, its not bad as a launch title, but there are better games lower on the list

#56: Adventures of Lolo 3
Seems like a good feel at 56

#57: Mega Man 6
Group all the MegaMans at 7

#58: Deja Vu
Seems like a damn fun game that I wish I could have played as a child, looks like a Snatcher type game, It probably is listed higher to some people.

#59: The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout
Try moving this like to 200 LOL

#60: Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Should be ranked a little higher. Even though I owned it, its definately not a game that i have any particular found memories of. The graphics were better than the original but the gameplay eventually gets tiring. Double Dragon on the Genesis is still my favorite DD game as its like an exact port of the arcade original that was so fun. I like it alot better than BattleToads, that is for sure.

#61: R.C. Pro-Am
This game I dare say should be in the top 30, its was alot of fun even though I am not sure if there is an ending to this game. Its like the only game the PowerGlove was good for.Overall needs about a 30 position push

#62: Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Has a special place in the hearts of some so somewhere in the 50's would do it justice.

#63: Journey to Silius
Dare I say I prefer this game over MegaMan? This game would have been played by more people if it had the Terminator name to it.Its a game alot of people probably wish they played as a kid. I rank it in my top 15 because I like sidescroller shooters.

#64: Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Reminds me of Kid Nikki Radical Ninja for some reason with the graphics, I have never played but I will trust Syd on it being a good game.

#65: The Guardian Legend
Needs to be ranked higher

#66: Bomberman
Fun to the right people, I got really bored with this game. I'll put it in the late 40's for the people who have found memories of it

#67: Adventure Island II
Should it be higher or lower, I am not sure, but it's playable and fun so its definately a top 100.

#68: Yo! Noid
How the Hell did this high in here?

#69: Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
Needs to be like 30 positions higher

#70: The Goonies II
This game sorta sucks, not even a top 100 game in my opinion

#71: Snake's Revenge
Made by Konami and looks like Metal Gear so should probably be higher

#72: RoboCop
I rented this game and I didnt enjoy it, 72 seems right because im sure some people got into it

#73: Adventures of Lolo 2
Maybe a little higher,maybe a little lower

#74: Ice Hockey
I would rather play real ice hockey, but if you eat,breath and drink hockey then i am sure you loved this game

#75: Jaws
This game was disapointing and sucks when it comes down to it. If it didnt have the Jaws name it would have been a forgotten title

#76: Rygar
Good game, definately somewhere in the 50's

#77: Wizards & Warriors
Could see it as a fun rental if you took the time to really get into it.

#78: Caveman Games
I would push this out of the top 100

#79: North & South
I love simulation games, but even I couldnt get into this, just too primitive.

#80: Adventures of Lolo
The Lolo games should be all put together at like 29

#81: Double Dribble
Still a sucky basketball game, but at least it didnt hurt your eyes as much as some sports games.

#82: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
This game sucks, disapointing piece of shit when it comes down to it despite what others say

#84: Mappy-Land
Wasnt a game like this on the Sega Master System to?, I think I played this but the person had better games lying around.

#85: Rampage
Its really fun at first, then slowly starts to suck in a big way

#86: Tombs & Treasure
Looks like something I would have enjoyed as a kid, I havent played it but im sure it deserves a higher spot than some of the shitty games in the 70's and 80's.

#87: Casino Kid
My brother played this game, its probably in his top 20

#88: Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
I like these type of games, not kiddish at all and I wish I could have played it as a kid

#89: Wrath of the Black Manta
Should be higher definately

#90: The Three Stooges
This game sucks but since its the Three Stooges I will let it pass at 90

#91: Hogan's Alley
Why couldnt we have had this game instead of Duckhunt?

#92: Tecmo Bowl
Some assholes would put this in their top 20, but not me

#93: Kiwi Kraze
Kiddish game that appeals to a certain audience that could probably be a little higher

#94: The Magic of Scheherazade
Yeah it was good, you either loved it or hated it though, id move this one up about 20 spots

#95: Battle Chess
Much better on the PC and definately not top 100

#96: Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure
You wanna like this game because the movie is so good, but another disapointing movie licence game that your fucked without the manual

#97: Spy Hunter
Better on PC, but I will accept it here

#98: Batman
Wow WTF, while I never drank the koolaid on this game, it still is a top 50

#99: Micro Machines
I prefer RC Pro AM by a longshot but 99 isnt a horrible spot for it

#100: Abadox: The Deadly Inner War
Weird choice for 100 but im sure this is off the list once a revision is in place

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 07:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not going to group games together. Unless it's a minigame collection (Action 52) or two games which were never released separately (Short Order/Egg-splode).

A "game" = ONE game.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 06:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The list took a lot of time and effort to do. We came up with an algorithm for compiling the ratings made by each of us to create the final list, and even agreeing on the algorithm took a long time. The list isn't perfect (Cause Mega Man III isn't #1), but it's still very good. The problem with redoing the list is that it's basically changing our opinions based on what other people are telling us to do. There are no new NES games, so there's not any reason for those of us who rated all those games to suddenly change our mind on them.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 07:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry i had way too much caffine when I wrote that, I think yall did a good job overall I just was putting my two cents in

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still do think a redux would be possible at some point, possibly with a team of 8-10 people.

While Jeebus is right that the list took a long time to do, I reject the notion that redoing the list, even with the same people, would be pending to outside pressure. When I did my original personal top 100 list, I can't honestly say I played every NES game ever. Instead, I went through the complete list of NES games and picked out about 350 or so that I had fond memories, however vague, of playing. Then I whittled it down to 100. I have played many more NES games now than I had back then, so my list would probably changed.

I'd also be interested in doing 100 Worst List, or at the very least 50 Worst.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be cool if the remake included some gameplay videos in conjunction with the reviews.

Since not everyone will get to participate in the review process, it might be cool if each interested person got assigned to capture 5 minutes or so of gameplay from the reviewed games.

It doesn't even matter if they are good at the games, just showing the game itself and some of the reasons why the game is fun.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 16 2008 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also pushed blades of steel up in the ranks.

I have a complete description of the algorithm used to rank the games if anyone is interested. It is written both in mathematical terms, and in layman terms.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Nov 17 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see any reason for an update or redux.

I mean, I wish Syd had a voice representing sports video games in these lists, but that's just how it is. RPGs, puzzle games, and platformers get better representation. That's just how it is. It's a best list according to the tastes of the reviewers, not a list of the most financially successful. I'm sure there's a list somewhere of top grossing NES games ever somewhere...

It's good for what it is.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 17 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
I also pushed blades of steel up in the ranks.

I have a complete description of the algorithm used to rank the games if anyone is interested. It is written both in mathematical terms, and in layman terms.

I am interested.

JRA
PostPosted: Nov 21 2008 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm more interested in doing a top Game Boy or top N64 list (both of which I would love to participate in), than redoing any of the old lists.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 21 2008 04:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to be involved in a top PSX list, myself.
Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
I'd like to be involved in a top PSX list, myself.

jprime
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is your problem:

A) Me

B) PSX

C) Both
Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

PSX would be too hard to do, about 3 systems trump it in actually a list being made

I like that your from Ontario, anyway you would be willing to exchange Visa's and live in Tennessee?

jprime
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, I'm good.

And for the record, I've lived in Ontario since '90, but I was born in Quebec.
Ermac
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
Nah, I'm good.

And for the record, I've lived in Ontario since '90, but I was born in Quebec.

maybe hot girls wearing American flag bikini's will convince you

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/flaggirls.html

jprime
PostPosted: Nov 22 2008 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not all guys are walking erections, you know.
Reply to topic

Jump to: