SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Could hard rock ever make a comeback?

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Sep 19 2005 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Being a busy university student, I don't actually get to hear that much new music anymore, but I'm thinking that to a great extent I agree with this article:

Quote:
...rock is dead, you see. I'm sorry to be the one to break the news, but it's true...

...This realization was underscored for me when I read a recent Blogcritics thread wherein people in their 30s and 40s complained that their kids don't rock as hard as they do. These folks who grew up loving Metallica and the Clash and AC/DC and the Ramones and so forth are disappointed because their kids ask them to turn that music down, it's too loud! They also complain because the kids think stuff like Matchbox 20 is "hard rocking" and can't handle the power chords of some old-school Black Sabbath or Guns 'n' Roses. Why, these kids don't even know what real punk rock is all about! The Violent Femmes would kick Avril Levigne's ass!

I didn't have the heart to tell them that the kids today who want hard core, intense music don't listen to rock. The kids who want hard core listen to rap.

The kids who don't want hard core listen to fluffy, inoffensive pop. Some of it has rock overtones, or nods to rock sensibilities, like Fastball. But that's not really rock'n'roll, and barely pretends to be.

I think he's especially right about the rap thing - in the '80s, hard rock filled a void that today is filled by rap. What do you think?
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 19 2005 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the sucess of true rock and roll bands was based on a dedicated fan base. Today's society seems to have developed a tragic case of A.D.D., with bands phasing in and out of popularity based largely on the monotony of over-playing mediocre songs on the radio. The songs that immediately come to mind are 'Speed of Sound' and 'These Things That I've Done'. Butin general, there's not a single song on the top 20 that I remotely enjoy. And there hasn't been for a while.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 20 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's hard for new rocks to catch on... artists like Andrew W.K. and The Darkness manage to get one big radio hit and then radio loses its interest with them. I think pop punk is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to real rock again... Blink 182, Bowling For Soup, the American Hi-Fi, that sort of stuff.

But at the same time, there's no shortage of interest in older rock bands. I'm almost too young to be into 80s rock and I was very surprised at the plenitude of people younger than me that I saw at the Poison/KISS, Motley Crue, and Guns N' Roses concerts I went to. I think the demand is there, but perhaps there just are bands around anymore who are as good as the rockers of old. But more likely than not, talented rock bands exist but they aren't being sought out by the big labels. Instead, they rather just sign crappy post-grunge assholes like Trapt and Seether.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

No. Why?

Well lets face it. We all are familar what goes on at a party with Rock compared to a party with Rap. When was the last time you did not see people smoking drugs handed out by vendors or random people. Then some stoned guy who walks up to you looking for some drugs. More improtantly the riots and fighting if a concert is not worth it for some reason. People jumping the gate just to get in without tickets.

Think about it. Do we want our kids exposed to this kind of behavior again?

Can anybody ever imagine Woodstock again. When was the last time there was a real Woodstock that took a nation or state by it's neck and hunged it out to dry.

If anybody was at the original Woodstocks are heard the Stories we all knew that this was all about. Smoking herbs, abuse of women, and sex with women. Free love anybody. No.

Rock is not dead but the storms of children crowding the Stars is over. If it ever happens again it would have to be in a drug freed and A.I.D.S. free world. I could imagine the scumbag spreading the stuff right now.

Like Rock Music in bars and club are great now but in reality it will never be the same the fact you will neer see the insanity that went on at rock concerts ever again.

Also the worst thing would be those Long hair guys with no muscle running the show again.

Just saying the world is not ready for such music madness again.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 08:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are you saying rock is more dangerous than rap? That is so not true. Rap adopted the rock n' roll life style and cheapened it. Hard rock was about corvettes, cocaine, and fucking supermodels. Rap is just a bargain basement of that. Rap is about low riders, weed, and screwing $5 whores with giant asses. And rappers shoot each other.

RegalSin wrote:
Smoking herbs, abuse of women, and sex with women.

Rap is about the same stuff.

RegalSin wrote:
If it ever happens again it would have to be in a drug freed and A.I.D.S. free world. I could imagine the scumbag spreading the stuff right now.

Rap promotes fornication just as much. But the bigger problem these days is single parenthood, not sexually transmitted diseases.

RegalSin wrote:
Also the worst thing would be those Long hair guys with no muscle running the show again.

You mean like Ludacris and Snoop Dogg?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 09:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rock did it on a bigger scale.
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rock didn't die, necessarily. There's still a possibility for good rock to exist. It just hasn't happened because all the bands that formerly rocked are now shit or don't exist. Just out of curiousity, are you defining rock as hair metal specifically? Because I call Pink Floyd rock, so the term can be a pretty broad generalization.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pink Floyd is definitely rock.

The thread was specifically about hard rock though, which tends to refer to bands such as Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, KISS, The Black Crowes, Motley Crue, The Rolling Stones, and yeah, hair metal.

Hard rock is rock that's not as hard as metal, but it's meaner and louder than Bob Dylan, Clapton, or The Beatles.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've always liked Buckcherry, they seem to have that classic rock feel to them with some simaliar lyrics, only with added cussing. Don't know what every one else around here thinks of them, but I would say that their the biggest main stream band that has that possess the classic rock sound.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 30 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is Buckcherry still around? I thought I heard the lead singer went solo. I really liked them back when they first came out... "Lit Up" was a killer song,
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Apr 30 2006 04:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They recently got back together and released a new CD (not sure if it's out yet actually, but if not, the release date is close). The webpage has info on it. I believe the name of their first single off it is "Crazy Bitch" , and it's pretty good, I've heard it on the radio a couple times, and I like it a lot.
braincras
Title: braincrassed/audiofille
PostPosted: May 02 2006 09:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to put the things out about rap. all the rap i listen to is allmost nothing in links with all the facts elucidated by syd above. that rap is the rap that is popular on mtv. i'm not interested at all into that kind of rap because of the "no-matter-life-crime-money" related lyrics. there is a lot of more underground rappers talking about the politics, intelligent toughts about the way the society goes, videogames stuff, existential question, etc. there is a lot of rapper who do not want to shoot each-other, believe me. just ask me.

about the hard-rock return. I do not believe it will be a return in all its pure-form. nothing will beat the original 80's hair-metal (i am not a fan of). i am a very musical boy (i listen to allmost all kind of music) and i can't see any NEW hard-rock band now. the only hard-rock stuff who is still alive arounds these days, is if you go at a Motley Crue's concert. (i know that they are touring now) if Guns n' Roses reform and go touring, it will be hard-rock too. and yeah, Mötörhead too. hard-rock/hair-metal is a 80's question at the basis, for me. it took its essence from that era; long-hair-80's style.

old skewl gamer.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: May 02 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Guns N Roses isn't really hard rock, they're heavy metal. The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith are hard rock...just since multiple people have envoked GNR in this thread already. Just because they're somewhat musical and don't rely on power chords like other heavy metal bands doesn't mean they're just hard rock....or whatever.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

TheTrueWarlock
PostPosted: May 07 2006 05:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rock is dying. Rap has all the controversy that once surrounded rock. Drugs, sex, and... rap. *sigh* Parents hate it, it's considered obscene, the songs are angry and filled with sex, drugs, violence, etc. A sad thing is, a lot of bands that used to be good (Aerosmith, Metalica, Bon Jovi) have seemed to mellow out, and their newer stuff is drastically different from their older stuff, more like newer rock is. I don't want hard rock to die. Crying
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 07 2006 07:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Guns N Roses isn't really hard rock, they're heavy metal.

You *might* be able to make the argument that Appetite is a metal album, and in fact, Spin named it the #1 metal album of all-time a few years back, but it's hard to argue that GN'R is a metal band. I mean look at the Lies EP, half of it was acoustic. There's nothing metal about "Patience" or "Used To Love Her". They're kickass songs, but metal? No. And then you have the Use Your Illusion albums with songs "The Garden", "You Ain't The First", "Breakdown", "14 Years", and "Bad Obsession". There's some heavy stuff on the UYIs too, but the albums are too musically diverse to be called anything other than rock. And then there's The Spaghetti Incident, where they cover a bunch of punk bands as well as Nazareth, and The Skyliners. If there's any LESS metal than covering "Since I Don't Have You", I'd like to know what it is.
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: May 07 2006 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really know what genre I would call Guns N' Roses, but "Welcome To The Jungle" was #2 on the VH1's Top 40 Greatest Metal Songs of all time. "Paradise City" was also on that countdown somewhere, but I can't remember. I think around #21 or so.
Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: May 08 2006 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's still lots of prog rock bands that are pretty active (though not popular). Dream Theater, Enchant, Riverside, Prymary, Fates Warning and Redemption come to mind... and a lot of these bands tour, too.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 12 2006 04:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

with stuff like this floating around, I have faith in a speed metal comeback.

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jun 13 2006 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonforce makes me happy. I hope they get huge and get the mainstream out of this emo crap.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 13 2006 03:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

*plays an incredibly drawn out guitar solo while sock takes a drink of water*

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jun 14 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm afraid people won't get it, I'm afraid they might be too emo'd, and just go "that's ghey", and dismiss it. I think it might be too awesome for them.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 18 2006 02:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

unpossible. their heads would jsut explode from the amazingness of it all.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Nov 12 2006 04:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

ok, here's what i think....that article is from like 95, but still relevant....Dragonforce is too awesome for the kids of today... GNR is hard rock, but in a very heavy way, and hard rock, for the most part, is dead. I do believe that there are bands that are trying to bring back hard rock/metal, like Velvet Revolver, Buckcherry now that they've reunited, Wolfmother, and even Avenged Sevenfold. But there isn't any danger in rock, or in music at all really. You can't grossly offend parents and the media anymore , rap's as close as you can get. However, as a grade 12 student, there is definitely an uprise in popularity of metal, hard rock, classic rock...the good stuff. Dragonforce is becoming more of an attitude than music at my school, and there's still a demand for rock shows and the classic bands. I think there's a shift coming, there's one about every ten years..... I think it will involve the return of rock.

...And my band will be at the forefront, you better believe it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 12 2006 07:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the big problem is that people like your or me would look at bands like avenged sevenfold and say "thats crap. a pale imitation of the good ole days" and not realize that music makign a comeback is a weaning process.

we have to draw people back into stuff slowly. Emo didn't jsut come about overnight. we ahd guy listening to metallica and megadeth and stuff, then the numetal thing happened, which was still heavy, but not metal, and eventually we got the slipknot sounding stuff, which lead into the screamo, which led into the emo crap. we just gotta do this backwards now.

that's my theory at least.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 12 2006 07:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Backwards, eh? Quickly, to the time machine!
Reply to topic

Jump to: