"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Dumb Guy Stuck in Video Game

Reply to topic
ged1928
Title: A new hope
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A. Great Article, very funny and well-written.
B. This has always been one of my favorite episodes of my favorite show. This is an article I have been hoping to see for a while, and is a constant topic of conversation for me and my brother.
C. Hes not stuck in a video game, hes stuck in a pinball machine, although they play music that is supposed to sound like 16-bit music throughout the episode, and the theme seems more like a video game than a pinball machine.
D. I look forward to the implied next article.
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved this show as a kid. Great topic for an article.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The writers seem to use the terms interchangeably, as the game Ross plays feels a lot more like a video game till the very end when the pinball shows up. And technically speaking, and machine with an electronic display could be construed as a video game.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
ged1928
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The writers seem to use the terms interchangeably, as the game Ross plays feels a lot more like a video game till the very end when the pinball shows up. And technically speaking, and machine with an electronic display could be construed as a video game.

True, but the pinball machine looks more like an electrical machine.
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whoa, dude, those first three paragraphs were awesome, man.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 02:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The show was never really scary, what a goofy concept, "Hey you guys! Let's make a scary show for kids that is not scary due to the fact that it's typically young audience will force the show to be devoid of any real scary subject matter, I'm sure it will be a hit! And I guess it was. Confused

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 06:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good article. I suggest you add a shot showing the blooper of the loser behind the throne when Ross gets pushed around on the 3rd level.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 06:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good call. I'll get on that.

Just added a page of animated GIFs. I was gonna do more, but they're like 10 megs each: http://www.sydlexia.com/pinballwizard_gifs.htm
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 06:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
The show was never really scary, what a goofy concept, "Hey you guys! Let's make a scary show for kids that is not scary due to the fact that it's typically young audience will force the show to be devoid of any real scary subject matter, I'm sure it will be a hit! And I guess it was. Confused

The episodes that were most effective were the ones like the 2 guys and girl who were searching after a dude that died in the 50's and then they find out the girl is a ghost.I cant remember the episode name but here is the music from it that plays when they find out she is a ghost

I actually thought they needed more like that instead of the stupid ones we all saw like the one Syd reviewed.

Great review Syd, I had forgotten about this episodes but remembered how annoying and stupid I thought it was.

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 06:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nevermind I found the episode,I like to imagine that's Syd in the red,Spanky in the middle and Jeebus on the right and the girl can be Aika leaving with her new Japanese boyfriend. Very Happy

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got pretty stuck on the flames for a while lol.

Great article though!

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

JRA
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:

Dude, I was fuckin scared shitless to watch that show when I was a kid. In fact I the only two times I watched that show was each time a testicle dropped.

Incidentally, the episode I remembered the most also dealt with electronics. It was about a computer virus.

Fuck reading Syd's article, Ima go find that shit on youtube!

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB2_mzWGrqQ&feature=related

Here's part 1, and the rest is on there too. The episode holds up surprisingly well, if you can ignore the fact that the computer virus is a midget.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

ged1928
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 08:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That virus episode was a great one, but another one I thought was great was the the Tale of the Dangerous Soup, Where Dr. Vink is a chef was extracts fear from people and sells it for 100 bucks a bowl at his restaurant. It even has abusive relatives in it, and Neve Campbell before she became big.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did I come to mind at any point while you wrote that? lol

Also, I would love reviews of 'Thirteenth Floor', 'The Lonely Ghost', 'The Bookish Babysitter', 'The Doll Maker', 'The Nightly Neighbours', 'The Quiet Librarian', 'The Room For Rent', 'Apartment 214'...there's more, but I remember those ones so well. I'm gonna go look them up and see if they're as awesome as I remember!

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice article. I laughed at your use of the term "dumpy idiot".

JRA
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 09:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I read the article:

"And he's on his own a lot, which is a polite way of saying his parents don't love him."

That's harsh Laughing

"Suddenly, one of the payphones starts ringing. Ross rushes to answer it, and I have to wonder why. Who the fuck does he think is going to be on the other end?"

I have seen so many goddamn movies where a protagonist picks up a phone and then they get assfucked. Seriously why the fuck would you pick up public payphone. And how do this things even get receiving calls anyway? They're public property!

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Sep 27 2008 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pick up the receiver...there's a phone number there.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 03:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I've seen about a dozen personal storage lockers like the ones in that episode's mall in the one around here, next to their food court.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

I'm feeling lucky!
Title: dyslexia
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 05:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Loved the article, I have never been very fond of that episode because I have always thought it is genuinely dumb and not scary at all, so, I related to the article.

Now, that episode where that magician-fortune-telling-thing guy screws up and opens a door to this dimension, the one with the stupid toy glasses, that one was scary.

And the one with the dissected claw that granted wishes... Hmmmm, brb, youtube.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You should review more episodes from Are You Afraid of the Dark? It was one of my favorite shows from back then. Only one really freaked me out. It was called "The Thirteenth Floor"

Covered a simply concept, why hotels or something don't have a 13th floor, they skip it and go to 14.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, to this day, I can't watch 'Thirteenth Floor', it freaks me out so bad.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't they make an Are You Afraid of the Dark made-for-tv movie once? I seem to remember it advertised and annoyed that I missed it, so I never saw it. Syd should review that.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 07:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The final season of AYAOTD began with a three part episode, The Tale of the Silver Sight, which probably aired at least once in its entirety. You're probably thinking of that.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 07:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just looked it up and that's what I was thinking of. I remember it had something to do with the origins of the Midnight Society.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 28 2008 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
I suggest you add a shot showing the blooper of the loser behind the throne when Ross gets pushed around on the 3rd level.

Added: http://sydlexia.com/pinballwizard_revealingmistake.htm
Reply to topic

Jump to: