"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Red Wings Training Camp

Reply to topic
Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 06:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I decided to start a discussion thread about the Red Wings Training Camp, especially because I work security there. Not much has happened here yet, but I'll try to keep you up on the news regarding the camp.

Today, we had rookies from four teams play against each other during my security shift, and on the side I was working, I watched the New York Rangers and the Atlanta Thrashers, while my friend worked on the other side, where the St. Louis Blues and the Minnesota Wild played against each other.

To make a long story short, the Thrashers won 3-0.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You work security in Detroit?

Dude, you must be badass.

I am a huge Redwings fan. I started to like them when they aquired Sergei Fedorov. At the time they were the shittiest team in the league and hadn't won a championship in a billion years.

For me, I had just begun to learn about my herritage and how I was 7/8ths Russian. Following Fedorov just seemed like a cool idea. As it would turn out, the team became a monster over the next decade and a half. Fun times for a fan.

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And now Feds is in DC. So GP, join the Caps.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SSNintendo wrote:
And now Feds is in DC. So GP, join the Caps.

To be honest the second hockey strike hurt my love for the game in a big way.

I still think it is the best sport, but I just can't enjoy it the way I once did. Also I can't follow Fedorov around, he hops too much now.

Ky-Guy
PostPosted: Sep 14 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

I am a huge Redwings fan. I started to like them when they aquired Sergei Fedorov. At the time they were the shittiest team in the league and hadn't won a championship in a billion years.

For me, I had just begun to learn about my herritage and how I was 7/8ths Russian. Following Fedorov just seemed like a cool idea. As it would turn out, the team became a monster over the next decade and a half. Fun times for a fan.

I wish I worked in Detroit. It's actually a training camp that takes place further up north in Michigan. (*Apologizes to GP for disappointing him*)

But yeah, I remember when Sergei Fedorov was on the Red Wings. Didn't he eventually go off to another team. I'm just curious, because I remember people calling him a "traitor". To be fair, my first Red Wings poster was of Sergei.

Actually, my Mom really is a fan of retired Red Wing, Steve Yzerman.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 15 2008 09:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ky-Guy wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

I wish I worked in Detroit. It's actually a training camp that takes place further up north in Michigan. (*Apologizes to GP for disappointing him*)

But yeah, I remember when Sergei Fedorov was on the Red Wings. Didn't he eventually go off to another team. I'm just curious, because I remember people calling him a "traitor". To be fair, my first Red Wings poster was of Sergei.

Yes Fedorov left the team in a nasty fashion. He is the most booed player when returning to Joe Lewis arena to play against the team.

As for Yzerman. He is just awesome. He was overshadowed because of people like Gretzky and Lemieux. But he had some incredible seasons with really high numbers. Amazingly his true success was in leadership. He was the reason the Red Wings went from dead last to becoming a dynasty. Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom and Bowman made the Wings what they are today.

Ky-Guy
PostPosted: Sep 15 2008 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Ky-Guy wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

Yes Fedorov left the team in a nasty fashion. He is the most booed player when returning to Joe Lewis arena to play against the team.

As for Yzerman. He is just awesome. He was overshadowed because of people like Gretzky and Lemieux. But he had some incredible seasons with really high numbers. Amazingly his true success was in leadership. He was the reason the Red Wings went from dead last to becoming a dynasty. Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom and Bowman made the Wings what they are today.

I totally agree with you on that, GP. Those four players totally made the Red Wings what they are today.

I still somewhat remember when the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup, when Steve and his teammates held the cup with pride after defeating the Philadelphia Flyers. It was really a proud moment in Detroit.

I even have a hat with "Yzerman 19" on the front.

Syd Lexia wrote:

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Sep 16 2008 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went to the Rookie Tourney(like you were at) that was held here, with the Leafs, Sens, Panthers and Pens. Met some of the guys, my fave player playing was Luke Schenn until I met him and he was a bit of a bitch.

Other than that it was sick.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Tsunami Red
Title: Maniacal Tactician
PostPosted: Sep 18 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anorexorcist wrote:
I went to the Rookie Tourney(like you were at) that was held here, with the Leafs, Sens, Panthers and Pens. Met some of the guys, my fave player playing was Luke Schenn until I met him and he was a bit of a bitch.

Other than that it was sick.

Schenn's supposedly Toronto's future franchise defenceman.....the media here in Toronto seems to have a way with portraying a 'will he or won't he make the roster this year?' kind of thing.

Ky-Guy, that's a cool job ya got - get to watch free season games?

Fedorov kinda got caught up with big money and eventually lost his motivation to play at the highest level, combined with injuries along the way. He'll probably have an okay season this year, probably centering the first or second line. But when Fedorov was at his prime, boy, he was such a complete player. Kinda like what Datsyuk is today.

Props to Steve Y, too.

"So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family." - George Carlin

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 19 2008 07:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, I thought this was about training guys to eats out chicks on the rag.
Ky-Guy
PostPosted: Sep 19 2008 07:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've had some time off from the training camp until just this afternoon. Just today, I got to do some security at a Red Wings golf outing, where I spent most of my time today standing in front of the Stanley Cup. At said golf outing (which costs $500, just in case somebody wanted to know), some of the golfers would go through a game of golf with one of the Red Wings. One of the things you got to do was get your picture taken with one of the Red Wings and the Stanley Cup.

I eventually got my picture taken with my dad (who is the head of security of the training camp) and the Stanley Cup. I might go post the picture, so stay tuned. Very Happy

Syd Lexia wrote:

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

Tsunami Red
PostPosted: Sep 19 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ky-Guy wrote:
Well, I've had some time off from the training camp until just this afternoon. Just today, I got to do some security at a Red Wings golf outing, where I spent most of my time today standing in front of the Stanley Cup. At said golf outing (which costs $500, just in case somebody wanted to know), some of the golfers would go through a game of golf with one of the Red Wings. One of the things you got to do was get your picture taken with one of the Red Wings and the Stanley Cup.

I eventually got my picture taken with my dad (who is the head of security of the training camp) and the Stanley Cup. I might go post the picture, so stay tuned. Very Happy

That would be sweet.

Despite frequently going for lunch to the underground food court where the Hockey Hall of Fame is (let alone LIVING IN THE CITY where the HHOF is), I still haven't been there before. During the regular season, I think the Cup is there for display and people can stand beside and have their picture taken. My sis-in-law had hers done, and she's not even a hockey fan.

"So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family." - George Carlin

Ky-Guy
PostPosted: Sep 19 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tsunami Red wrote:
Ky-Guy wrote:

That would be sweet.

Despite frequently going for lunch to the underground food court where the Hockey Hall of Fame is (let alone LIVING IN THE CITY where the HHOF is), I still haven't been there before. During the regular season, I think the Cup is there for display and people can stand beside and have their picture taken. My sis-in-law had hers done, and she's not even a hockey fan.
I went there once when I was a really little kid. I think it was during the summer following the Red Wings' victory in 1997. I went there with my family and got my picture taken with the Stanley Cup.

On another note, here's a pic of me and my dad (who is head of security at the Training Camp) with the Stanley Cup from today:

Syd Lexia wrote:

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

Tsunami Red
PostPosted: Sep 21 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet dude. I'd better get my pic taken soon.

How heavy is it?

Ky-Guy
PostPosted: Sep 21 2008 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tsunami Red wrote:
Sweet dude. I'd better get my pic taken soon.

How heavy is it?
I never lifted it. Only the players were allowed to.

Syd Lexia wrote:

Lexiabot9000 wrote:

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Sep 22 2008 01:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Damn, I thought this was about training guys to eats out chicks on the rag.

I checked this thread out because I was thinking that they had some "training camp" for the Red Wings of FFIV or something. I like hockey, but I haven't watched much since the late 90's.

I just wanna be a Red Wing... unless I start stealing crystals from innocent magicians.

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: