SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
In which I flame Syd et al.

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Aug 19 2008 09:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

So. I was reading the 'crappy endings' article. Great humour as usual, etc, etc. But the whole time I was reading it I was thinking 'haHA! At least my favorite game of all time, Startropics, isn't going to make the list, because it has a friggin' WICKED ending!'

And then what do I see? Syd, oh, Syd! What will make you happy? You complain about games where the ending is kind of... uh... where nothing really happens. And then you turn around and slam games where the ending IS actually detailed and well thought-out? What do you WANT from an ending, boy? At least the Startropics ending is hilarious because it's filled with puns and inside jokes referring back to the rest of the game.

I also take issue with ragging on the Paperboy ending for being unrealistic. Yes, of course a paperboy can't 'retire in glory' after a week; of COURSE it's an exaggeration, and that's precisely WHY it achieves its comedic effect.

You mention 'Engrish' in the Ghosts n' Goblins review. Interestingly, what you don't mention, though, is that in the Super Mario 2 ending, when it's displaying and naming all the enemies, it calls Clawgrip 'Clawglip'. At least, every version I've ever seen does.

Finally, I dispute your interpretation of the SMB3 ending. The 'princess is in another castle' bit I think is a cute joke, but more importantly - you think when she says 'bye bye' she's telling YOU to screw off? I never, ever would've seen it that way. I always thought it was along the lines of - she's telling you the PLAYER 'bye bye' so that she can be alone with Mario for a while.

Still, this is constructive criticism, not really a flame. FWIW. Smile
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Aug 19 2008 09:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 19 2008 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also in the SMB2 roll call, Birdo is labelled as Ostro and vice versa.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 19 2008 09:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:

What is Ghostbusters.

I almost used that, but it's dumb for the same reason as Ghosts 'n Goblins, only not as grevious.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 21 2008 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bush Sr.>Reagan.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Reply to topic

Jump to: