"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Greatest QB of all time?

Reply to topic
homefry25
Title: Jumpin' Johnny
PostPosted: Jul 11 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jim McMahon, hands down. Bears '85 are what it's all about. Nah, but best QB has gotta be Joe Montana. It's a toss up but Montana was money every game in his time. But the Bears '85 Super Bowl shuffle was awesome, no one can dispute that. Jim McMahon had the mad rhymes.

WTF Haley Barbour??! Don't you know your state is a fucking 3rd world country?

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is my current top 10.

1. Johnny Unitas - I can't really explain. Possibly the best playcaller of all time. Gritty winner. Tough as shit. You can't really explain. You just have to watch him. Its kind of like John Elway. You have to see it for yourself. Its all about the intangibles.

2. Joe Montana - Nothing could rattle this guy. He was always cool under pressure. He was very efficient. At the time he retired, he had the highest career passer rating (now 5th all time). He holds broke most post season records. 4 time Super Bowl champ, 3 time Super Bowl MVP. Two time league MVP.

3. John Elway - Known for his bazooka for an arm, as well as the ability to throw caution to the wind and rally against all odds. For those who claim Tom Brady was able to do incredible things with a poor supporting cast, they need to look up Elway's Broncos in the 80's. They didn't suck by any means. But when you look at them, it does make what Elway did all the more impressive. Like I said earlier with Johnny U, its all about the intangibles here.

4. Dan Marino - Forget the fact that he never won a Super Bowl. He was never on a team good enough to win. This includes the one year he actually went as well. If anyone has any doubts of Dan Marino's ability, look up his second year in the league. This alone should silence all non believers. Not only did he have one of the best years ever statistically, but in only his second year in the league, he was awarded league MVP. At one time, held a lot of the league passing records (several recently passed by Brett Favre).

5. Brett Favre - When I think of Brett Favre, the first word that comes to mind is reliable. He started his first game in week 4 of 1992. He has started every single game since. The only person even remotely close to this achievement is Peyton Manning (Favre has 253 consecutive regular season starts while Manning in second has 160. This doesn't even include post season.). He has been league MVP 3 times. He has had 8 seasons in which he scored 30+ TDs. This is twice as many as both guys (Marino and Manning with 4 each) tied for second in this stat. 9 times Pro Bowl. 7 times All Pro. He holds the all time career record for passing TDs, yards, completions, and attempts. He holds the record for most games with at least 3 TDs. Only John Elway has more 4th quarter/OT comebacks.

6. Steve Young - The most efficient passer in the history of the NFL. IMO, the best scrambling QB since Fran Tarkenton.

7. Peyton Manning - One of the best playcalling QBs in the history of the game. The only real play calling QB since Jim Kelly. Only Favre has started more consecutive games. Aside from Steve Young, he is the most efficient QB in NFL history. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about Peyton Manning. I don't think I really need to. All I need to say is that he currently holds the record for most seasons with at least 4,000 yards, most consecutive seasons with at least 4,000 yards, consecutive seasons with at least 25 TD passes, most games with perfect passer rating, consecutive starts by a QB to open a career, passer rating in a season, games with at least 4 TDs, and most consecutive games with at least 2 and 4 TDs. He is on pace to break the all time TD record in 5 seasons, all time yards in 5, completions in 6, attempts in 7, and if he can go 6 more seasons without missing a start, he could potentially pass Favre's consecutive start record. Okay, so I did go into a lot of detail.

8. Tom Brady - Running neck and neck with Manning, but for completely different reasons. You could realistically go with either guy. I just went with Manning because while others have done what Brady is doing. Manning is doing things statistically that have never been done before. But don't let this fool you. Brady is only 3 TDs away from the 200 mark. He lead his team to the 5th perfect regular season in NFL history. He also hasn't missed a start since he took over that responsibility. On top of all of that, he has the 4th highest all time passer rating (behind Young, Manning, and Warner).

9. Terry Bradshaw - Bradshaw was your classic gunslinger of the 70's. I'm not 100% sold that Bradshaw should be top ten. But he is the only QB aside from Montana to win 4 Super Bowls. So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

10. Fran Tarkenton - As with Bradshaw, I'm not entirely sure Tarkenton should be on my top ten. But I will give him this much. If there were no Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton would have held most of the major passing records up until just recently. On top of that, he is one of the all time great scramblers. He is 4th in rushing TDs by a QB behind Cunningham, Young, and Vick. Though the only one of those in the same calibur is Young. Also, a great deal of his scrambles resulted in a pass rather than a rush attempt.

HONORABLE MENTION: You may have noticed that I commented on not being sure if Bradshaw and Tarkenton should have been in the top ten. This is because there are two specific people I had in mind that should be on this list. But I didn't feel I could make an accurate guess as to where exactly they should rank. This is because while I know a great deal about them, due to having not seen as much of them with my own eyes as the rest of the guys on the list. So a lot of my feelings toward them are based on what other people have said about them rather than what I've seen for myself. They are:

1. Otto Graham - I really don't need to say a lot more than the fact that he only played for ten seasons. Out of those ten seasons, he lead his team to ten championships, winning seven of them.

2. Sammy Baugh - Not only was he one of the first great passers, but he was also an awesome defensive back and solid punter. In 1943, he lead the league in passing, punting, and interceptions.

homefry25
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is one hell of a list, but I have to ask, where is Randall Cunningham? He was a great scrambler. But that's just my opinion, there are so many great QB's it's hard to make a top ten that everyone can get behind. Also what about Jim Kelly?

scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 03:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

homefry25 wrote:
That is one hell of a list, but I have to ask, where is Randall Cunningham? He was a great scrambler. But that's just my opinion, there are so many great QB's it's hard to make a top ten that everyone can get behind. Also what about Jim Kelly?

It actually took a lot of thought to put that together. So I don't know how I would rank 11-20, but I'm guessing I would have Jim Kelly somewhere in there. Possibly top 15. I really like Jim Kelly a lot. Kelly and Manning are pretty much the only real playcalling QBs of my generation. I find that very impressive.

As far as Cunningham, I do consider him one of the top scrambers of all time. I still think the top two are Tarkenton and Young. I think Vick was a great scrambler, but not necessarily a great scrambling QB. He would take off where somebody like Tarkenton would still try and get a pass off. His skill as a passer isn't anywhere near those two, or Cunningham for that matter. I talk about those four because not only are they four of the most notorious scrambling QBs, but they are also the top four on the list of all time rushing TDs by a QB.

I'm not sure where I'd list Cunningham on an oll time list though. There are still a lot of guys to pick from. Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, Norm Van Brocklin, YA Tittle, Bobby Layne, Sonny Jergensen, Bob Griese, George Blanda, Boomer Esiason, Ken Anderson, Jim Hart, Sid Luckman, Len Dawson, Phil Simms, Drew Bledsoe, Steve McNair, etc. To tell the truth, I'm not ever sure he is the best Eagles QB. I think I'd take Van Brocklin, Jergensen, and possibly Jaworski before Cunningham. Don't forget McNabb either. He may have been overshadowed by guys like Manning, Brady, Culpepper and Warner, but he is still a great QB. I do like Cunningham though. He deserves mention. I'm just not sure where.

homefry25
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 07:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Boomer Esiason...I remember him being good, but the first thing that pops into mind when I think of him is the game where he got sacked by Bruce Smith and it really rocked him, I think he had to leave the game. But yeah, that was a good list. I think Vick was way overrated. I agree completely that he was only a good scrambler, not a good passer. As for McNabb, I was really hoping the Bears would get him this season. Looks like we are still stuck with Grossman, and I don't think he will ever make any list except for the fact that he is on the roster. I like him but he is just so damn inconsistent.

scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 08:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just another bad ass QB from Florida that can't get it done in the NFL. As a Bears fan, I'm curious of your thoughts on Brian Griese.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 12 2008 08:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Screw Griese, what about Kyle Orton. Poor Guy...

scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 13 2008 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like Griese and its not just because he used to play for the Broncos. He was actually a really solid QB until he screwed up his shoulder. But the thing I love about Griese is how when he goes to a new team, they always write him off and then he comes out of nowhere to make things happen.

I can actually remember watching them talk about him on ESPN. Brad Johnson was the starter for Tampa Bay. Chris Simms was the heir apparant. They were saying how it was important for Brad Johnson to stay healthy because Simms was still unproven and may not be ready yet. So somebody asks about Griese, who at the time was their 3rd stringer. Salisbury pretty much laughed it off. Took a couple of cheap shots at Griese's expense. They all pretty much agreed he was done.

Well, just as they speculated, Johnson went down. Simms comes in and he goes down too. Guess who was waiting in the wings. Griese took over the duties as their featured QB. From the time he came in to the end of the season, he lead the league in completion percentage and had a pretty high passer rating. I loved every second of it. I don't know if Salisbury and company ever ate crow over it. I doubt it. But I just thought it was just great.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Jul 14 2008 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Eric Crouch was always interesting to me. I wouldn't have had unreasonably high expectations of him. But I always wondered how he would have done as an NFL quarterback as opposed to being drafted as a wideout. Then in NFL Europe, he was a safety. I realize he was small. But he was athletic (which is why he may be more suited at other positions). I would at least like to have seen him in action as a QB. He played a little in the CFL. But I think he got hurt or something. What's funny is that he was on the same team as Michael Bishop, who, if not for Ricky Williams, would also have been a Heisman winner. I only mention this because he is another college stud QB who was unable to successfully make the transition to NFL and has been forced to be satisfied as a journeyman in various other leagues.

Poor Michael Bishop. Before Brady took over the whole New England area was dying for that kid to take Bledsoe's place. The we were hot for Rohan Davey as the backup. Now we have Cassel (who is never going to be a good QB) and Mat Guttierez, who may be a decent backup some day.

scamrock
PostPosted: Jul 14 2008 04:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Brady has never missed a start. So hopefully, you won't have to worry about a backup for a while.

Michael Bishop was on the KC Brigade for part of last season. We was our backup. I'm not sure if he was traded or cut, but one day he was with us, then the next day he was with another team. I always kind of liked him, even though I'm not a big K State fan (I do like them better than KU).

But I remember what you are saying. Didn't he actually get to take a couple reps in some games when Bledsoe was in the doghouse?

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Jul 14 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Well, Brady has never missed a start. So hopefully, you won't have to worry about a backup for a while.

Michael Bishop was on the KC Brigade for part of last season. We was our backup. I'm not sure if he was traded or cut, but one day he was with us, then the next day he was with another team. I always kind of liked him, even though I'm not a big K State fan (I do like them better than KU).

But I remember what you are saying. Didn't he actually get to take a couple reps in some games when Bledsoe was in the doghouse?

Yeah, he did. People loved him...until they saw him throw the ball.

homefry25
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I felt that the Bears should have got a new quarterback instead of keeping Grossman. I like Grossman, but I don't think he can get it done at starting QB if they are serious about winning a Super Bowl. I really thought we might get McNabb so I was pretty disappointed. Hopefully the new rookie RB can do something, too.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As for the Manning-Brady debate, I'd take Brady in a heartbeat. For all of Manning's leadership and brainyness, dude wasn't the main reason they won the Super Bowl that year; it was Bob Sanders and his total domination of the run. I think that postseason, Manning's TD to INT ratio wasn't good at all.

Best qb?

On raw skills and physical tools, Elway. Everything else, Montana. You can alternate either or and not come up with a bad choice.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best part about Bob Sanders, other then his mom still working at Wal-Mart, is that he grew up here in Erie. He even came back and did some work with kids at the local "Bad Kids" school and was reported to be late and unentusiatic. That's what happens when you grow up here and go off and make millions.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess all NFL players with dred locks are douches, eh?

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Or once they make it big have no desire to help out those that got them to where they are today. Fuck he went to Cathedral Prep, which is synonmous with "Don't drop the soap" chants and being extremely homosexual populated school. It's an all boy school if you didn't get it.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed I did. He does look a bit...coomsi coomsa.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GREAT PLAYER THOUGH! Can't bash him for that.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 15 2008 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since I'm here, might as well throw up my top 10 QB's.

1. Elway/Montana
2. Montana/Elway
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Favre
6. Bart Starr
7. Roger Staubach
8. Tom Brady
9. Peyton Manning
10. Steve Young

Hon Men. to Troy Aikman...sike. Honorable mentions go to Bradshaw, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon.

Reply to topic

Jump to: