SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
John Cena

Reply to topic
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

He has had fantastic matches with Umaga, Angle (who has a horrible formula), Bobby "I Suck" Lashley, all of whom don't carry opponents. Now I know he isn't the greatest mat tech, but he's pretty good at selling (not great), his style meshes REALLY well with almost anyone and elicits responses, whether it be boos or cheers.

I'm not even a fan of his but I give the guy his due, he's almost carrying the company on his back.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:

I'm not even a fan of his but I give the guy his due, he's almost carrying the company on his back.
you can't really believe that can you?

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
...elicits responses, whether it be boos or cheers.

I agree with this statement, he does get a reaction. He can get a lot of heat. It might not always be the right kind of heat, but he gets it. I still think he is a midcard level wrestler though.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jul 17 2008 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nihilisticglee wrote:
uncle joe wrote:
...elicits responses, whether it be boos or cheers.

I agree with this statement, he does get a reaction. He can get a lot of heat. It might not always be the right kind of heat, but he gets it. I still think he is a midcard level wrestler though.

yeah and if he was a heel it would be perfect he would get tons of boos and it wouldnt matter if he could wrestle or not.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 01:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Actually if he went heel, he would still elicit the same responses, albeit reversed; the grown men and would cheer him like a motherfucker and the kiddies and women will boo him.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 05:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
He has had fantastic matches with Umaga, Angle (who has a horrible formula), Bobby "I Suck" Lashley, all of whom don't carry opponents. Now I know he isn't the greatest mat tech, but he's pretty good at selling (not great), his style meshes REALLY well with almost anyone and elicits responses, whether it be boos or cheers.

Where do I start with this? :p

Umaga/Jamal wasn't very talented to begin with. Despite that, he was more entertaining than Cena. Angle actually has a good gimmic, one noone else can claim, and he's a legitimate professional and Olympic wrestler, so if Cena can't make a match with a REAL wrestler look good, it's definitely not Angle's fault. As for Black Lesnar, Cena and him about about the same skill level. Bobby just couldn't do mic work like Cena. Which is a difference in the WWE, if you can talk you can be star, but you're in the WRESTLING business. Sorry John, Black Lesnar beats you there even if he's trying to be a Batista clone.

Meshing with anyone is easy if you're style sucks. He suffers the 5 moves of Doom problem Bret Hart had at the end of his WWF career. His OVW stuff wasn't much better, just add the 2 moves Vince cut out of his moveset. Cnai s bottom of the barrel in basically all aspects of what his profession is supposed to be. Power moves? Nope. Fireman's carry isn't a finisher and his old Proto-bomb is a half-assed maneuver on it's own. Mat Tech? I can blow the STF spot too and call myself a wrestler. High risk? Non-existent. Brawling? Perhaps, but you can get more muscular guys with more skill at a bar who probably have more stamina than him. It's easy to carry if there's nothing there.

The fact WWE has to use Cena to carry the company, even just to sell tickets, is a testament to how far the company has fallen. They used to have a talent roster other companies would kill to have. Now what happened to it? They're in TNA, or ROH, or other better paying promotions with more freedom like New Japan.

The WWE hasn't had a convincing headlining wrestler of their own creation in far too long. Edge sucks, Orton sucks, Cena sucks more, HHH is exploiting his nepatism loophole... it goes on and on.

I'm glad I only watch WWE for Mickie James, without her I'd havegiven up on it after Trish retired.

The divas are another story all together, but Mickie I respect because she is a professional wrestler with 10 years experience who can do the craft, look hot doing it, and has the other needed skills to put her in the title picture. Cena's only got mic work, that's it.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 06:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lets be fair, the Protobomb wasn't bad. It wasn't the best spin-out powerbomb in the world, bu it is a major improvement over the F-U
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 06:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Angle had a gimmick? He had no gimmick. And he was a good wrestler but he was a horrible Pro Wrestler, he had a horrible formula and was overrated. Don't get me wrong, he had fantastic matches and all but he never carried anyone. I always laughed when he was compared to Benoit because Benoit was better than him by MILES. Benoit styled meshed with almost anyone, and when it didn't he adapted.

But you had me killed when you said Lashley is the same skill as Cena. Sure he was athletic, but Lesnar sucked. Also, you lost your whole argument based on this statement:

The fact WWE has to use Cena to carry the company, even just to sell tickets, is a testament to how far the company has fallen. They used to have a talent roster other companies would kill to have. Now what happened to it? They're in TNA, or ROH, or other better paying promotions with more freedom like New Japan.

That's just insanity on a new level. If you really need someone to explain how or why, then everything is lost.

Also, Mickie James is the sloppiest worker since Trish; had you said Beth Phoenix, you'd have some merit.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair Lesnar is a great wrestler technically. I don't mean by WWE standards, I mean for real. As well, he is 1-1 in mma, and a great athelete. I agree his mic skills sucked, and him putting someone over not so good, but he had moments of greatness in the ring. Also, he had a similar angle to Angle as he was an all american wrestler.

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

He meant Lashley King. Lesnar was the man, too bad he left. More power to him though.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 05:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate Lesnar, not because he was a bad wrestler. The man was bad on the mic, invented a stupid finisher, and he has dictated the Smackdown booking since he started getting pushed.

I didn't mind Lashey so much. I think he understood he wasn't great on the mic and had to really be a powerhouse. Would have done better if he used a stiffer style in my mind, but he wasn't bad.

I have to agree with Ghandi here, ROH and New Japan have a fantsic rosters. TNA has a good one, but it doesn't matter because Russo is the booker and he can't book a good show to save his life. The WWE roster is just starting to pick up again though, hopefully they won't blow it.

As for Mickie James, she is a hit or a miss. She can put on some great matches, but sometimes she fucks up and makes the match less then steller. As for Beth, she is a powerhouse and a goodworker, I would like to she her feud with Awesome Knog, but they are in different companies.

Lastly, Angle. Angle was great and a true main eventer in his prime. Great mic skills, amazing mat wrestling, strong as an ox, worked well as both a heel and a face, and could do a moonsault. Benoit was always better in my mind, but Angle was great. It is a shame he is on the ned of his shelf life and has been reduced to bad comdey in TNA.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 05:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He didn't say they had a great roster, he said that they get paid more, which is ludicrous; it's the indy circuit. Some dudes make 90 a show.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 06:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TNA and New Japan aren't indy, only ROH is.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 18 2008 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whoops, thought he said PWG for some reason.

Laminated Sky
Title: Extra Crispy
PostPosted: Jul 19 2008 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 'five knuckle shuffle' is the most fucking piece of shit wrestling move ever. It is nothing more than show boating. I've seen that move so many times and it just creates more hatred for John Cena.

As for Orton, he is my favorite wrestler, and it is fucking retarded that his RKO misses, but fuck, he shouldn't wait so damn long for them to get up.

I'm so bananas I'm showing up to your open casket,
to fill it up with explosive gases,
and close it back,
with a lit match in it,
while I sit back, and just hope it catches.

Blow you to fragments,
laugh,
roll you, and smoke the ashes.

http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=Laminated_Sky

Signature subject to change without notice.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jul 19 2008 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
He didn't say they had a great roster, he said that they get paid more, which is ludicrous

I cited it, but basically I was going for the roaster argument as being compared to the WWE.

Lots of wrestlers work more shows for cheaper because of the freedom they have by staying out of mainstream wrestling. That's the wrestling I get excited about watching.

WWE? I love watching Mickie James.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 19 2008 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 5 Knuckle Shuffle, the People's Elbow, the Ballin' Elbow are great damnit.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 19 2008 08:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about the Five Kunckle Shuffle is it is a bad rip off of the People's Elbow, which was a dumb move to begin with. All of those moves where a wrestler bounces off the rope, stops, taunts, and does a simple move are all fucking dumb. I can sort of understand bouncing off the rope if it is to get some momentum, but when you come to a dead stop, it just ruins the move.
Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i agree they are all dumb moves, and i am seriously beginning to think joe is just saying things to start an argument

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 04:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

No, not really. So I like moves and feel like they are entertaining, so I'm starting arguments? LOL

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no i was kidding its just you have the EXACT opposite opinion of everyone on this board

uncle joe
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My bad, didn't sense the sarcasm. Nah but I'm not even a fan of the guy, but I gotta give him his due. I mean if Brian Kendrick was the World Champ and Jamie Noble was WWE Champ, the company would be in the shitter.

Optimist With Doubts
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
My bad, didn't sense the sarcasm. Nah but I'm not even a fan of the guy, but I gotta give him his due. I mean if Brian Kendrick was the World Champ and Jamie Noble was WWE Champ, the company would be in the shitter.

Well, maybe if that happened tomorrow but if they were given the same psuh that cena gets than maybe. Noble can do good mic work.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Jul 20 2008 04:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kendrick is fucking awesome and deserves the world title. He is one of, if not the most talented person on the smackdown roster. Yes, he could work on his promos, but otherwise he is amazing.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 21 2008 07:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Every time the WWE has a good angle, they kill it. Everytime the have a terrible angle, they drag it out. Case in point: Heel Cena was awesome, Motivational Simon Dean was awesome, Hurricane Helms was awesome, and Pirate Paul Burchill was awesome. You know what WASN'T awesome though, the "Eddy Guerrero is really Rey's son's father" angle. I'm almost happy Eddy died because that angle was hella gay. I don't need to see wrestlers' families on TV.

White Chavo was pretty awesome too.

Only guy I really like in WWE right now is JBL. He's the only really old school heel they've got and one of the only main eventers who isn't a young cookie cutter douchebag with too many tattoos and not enough clothing.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: