[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
5 best movies in your opinion

Reply to topic
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Sep 11 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you all saw it coming.

5.half baked
Dave chappelle at his best. good times to sit and watch.

4.saw
Brilliant. just brilliant. i never expected that ending in a million years. some of the twisted scenerios were very well thought.

3.vanilla sky/Open your eyes
I like both vanilla sky and the spanish version. does anyone think its stupid tho that penelope cruz stared in a remake of her own movie?

2.the entire Jacques Yves Cousteau movie series
im an ocean exploration buff,which will explain my number 1 favorite...

The life aquatic with Steve zizzou
a halarious spin on Cousteaus life. ill never ever get sick of this movie. great acting,directing,good dry humor.

anndd,go.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Sep 12 2005 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

5. Fight Club - A predictable choice, yes, but a great film. If you say you predicted the schizophrenic twist, you're a liar.

4. Wayne's World - If you've never rocked out to Bohemian Rhapsody in someone's car, there is something very, very wrong with you.

3. Batman: The Movie - It pisses me off when people refer to Batman as the original batman movie. "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." Classic. R.I.P. Frank Gorshin.

2. Debbie Does Dallas - What? Somebody had to say it. Does this even count as a movie?

1. Spaceballs - Sheer genius from beginning to end. If I was in children's wish, my wish would be to have a part in a new Spaceballs movie.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Sep 12 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:

1. Spaceballs - Sheer genius from beginning to end. If I was in children's wish, my wish would be to have a part in a new Spaceballs movie.

your in luck. There is a new Spaceballs movie in the works,mother fucker!
Mel brooks wants to make at least 1 sequal before hes to old to play yogurt.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 14 2005 06:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's no way I could pick the 5 best trilogies ever, let alone the 5 best movies. I could list 100 movies and still feel like stuff was missing. But here are five movies that I think belong in every DVD collection:

1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2. The Princess Bride
3. Labyrinth
4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
5. Rambo: First Blood, Part II
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 14 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well you asked for best movies not favorites, so I guess Moulin Rouge won't be able to make the cut. These are pretty obvious choices I'm sure, but here goes anyway (In no particular order)

5. Full Metal Jacket - This in conjunction with Apocalypse Now are the only war movies that ever really needed to exist, yet they keep pumping them out. The second half (after boot camp) isn't as good, but it's still a priceless movie.
4. Animal House - THE college movie, and the standard for all college and fraternity movies as far as I'm concerned. If you've never heard someone yell "please sir, may I have an other?" in everyday life, then you need new friends.
3. Mel Brooks - I'm well aware that Mel Brooks isn't a movie, but I couldn't choose which of his movies was most deserving, so he is now his own genre. Deal with it.
2. Jurassic Park - Alright, maybe this one wasn't an obvious choice. Let's be honest with ourselves here though, everyone LOVED this movie. It had great characters, an intriguing plot, and two sequals that never should have existed.
1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Look inside yourself; you know it to be true. The original star wars trilogy was the shit, and this was one of the first movies I saw that didn't even almost end on an up note. It's nice to put plot development in front of stupid Hollywood endings.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 14 2005 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
But here are five movies that I think belong in every DVD collection:

1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2. The Princess Bride
3. Labyrinth
4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
5. Rambo: First Blood, Part II

Whoop! My DVD collection is awesome then!

Um... My top five is weird...

1. Masters of the Universe - The first movie I remember seeing. I loved it then and I love the hell out of it now.

2. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - I consider to be the most loyal to Superman movie. Sure, part II is probably the best, but I think four had a better script (check it out online), had a better production story (no budget and 45 minutes cut out), besides... NUCLEAR MAN! He is an old school supervillain. No other comic book villain has come as close to villainy that Nuke has. He's powerful, has a weakness, and he kidnaps women so he can fly them to the sun! Plus, I just like how Superman actually did something. You know, throw all nuclear weapons into the sun. The more people hate this movie, the more I love it.

3. Fire Walk With Me - Another movie hated by the world. I actually consider this to be the greatest film ever made. The story is strong and the art of cinema is Lynch's best. It's funny, dramatic, and artsy. I usually hate art films, but this felt like a commercial art film. Kind of like Fight Club... without the acid.

4. The Matrix - I'd put the entire series here (games, comics, and anime all included). The first is probably the "A New Hope" of the series. Some people consider it the best one and it absolutely the most self contained and appealing movie in the series. Plus, it made anime commercially cool in America. Many animes later, I could hate this movie because of it.

5. Batman Returns - If you haven't noticed by now, I love superheroes. Batman Returns is just really damn dramatic and good. It's also loyal to the comic in tone (dark, gritty, the bad guys have blueprints to the Batmobile and can hotwire it). The new origins of some characters actually improve upon the original concepts. The cast pull off the best acting in any of the Batman movies (Begins and Phantasm included). I still love the ending. It felt so... novel. I guess. Besides Die Hard, this may be one of the best Christmas movies ever made. (Yes, Die Hard is number 9 on my list).

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 15 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

4. The Matrix - I'd put the entire series here (games, comics, and anime all included). The first is probably the "A New Hope" of the series. Some people consider it the best one and it absolutely the most self contained and appealing movie in the series. Plus, it made anime commercially cool in America. Many animes later, I could hate this movie because of it.

Anime was already as commercially cool as it was going to get long before this, and I don't think it really helped the cause because only like 2 of the things on the Animatrix are worth watching more than once.
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 15 2005 02:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Anime was already as commercially cool as it was going to get long before this

From my point of view, Anime was around, yes, thanks to Pokemon and DBZ and other crap like that*. But after The Matrix, I saw a resurgence in anime movies. Like what Kill Bill and Crouching Tiger have done for Hong Kong cinema. Before, anime was this trendy cartoon schlock you see late at night on the sci-fi channel. Eventually after this Cartoon Network tried to become an anime channel. The action channel when created showed anime on a daily basis. Anime started to become more mainstream after The Matrix either: renewed interest in crazy action or people started bitching how the movie ripped off anime and people began to seek the evidence (ala Kill Bill). This was my experience. Anime flicks and in general was not big before the Matrix, DBZ was I remember, but not much else. The Matrix started getting people watching stuff like Ghost in the Shell and such. Was Anime around? Yes, but not to the extend it was after The Matrix.

*Not that the mentioned Anime is crap.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Sep 16 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm probably asking to get teased, but... my five favorite movies:

5. Battle Royale
4. Lost Highway
3. Fight Club
2. Lost In Translation
1. Natural Born Killers
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 17 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:
I'm probably asking to get teased, but... my five favorite movies:

5. Battle Royale
4. Lost Highway
3. Fight Club
2. Lost In Translation
1. Natural Born Killers

Nothing wrong with any of those... I almost bought NBK the other day.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Sep 18 2005 04:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

There is definately nothing wrong with those, and I DID buy Battle Royale recently. And Tebor, not only do I completely disagree with you on your entire anime argument. If you EVER feel it appropriate to use the word trendy to describe anime, it's almost impossible for me to take you seriously...and this is from someone that watches a lot of anime.

I do agree with you about Crouching Tiger, but disagree with Kill Bill. I don't feel like defending this position though because I can already feel the flame war coming.
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 18 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I don't feel like defending this position though because I can already feel the flame war coming.

Amen. I know no one wants that. I got half the IMDB community wanting to kill me already. *olive branch*

Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1. Heat
2. Aliens
3. The Prophecy I-V
4. In the Mouth of Madness
5. SLC Punk

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

How many Prophecies have Walkens?

Kutulu
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 09:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
How many Prophecies have Walkens?
I-III

IV and V are really just one movie that they broke into two to try and get more money from suckers like Me, I guess. I mean, they are still tolerable to watch, and any movie with the mention of a Nephilim is worthwhile.

I love the series though, and Viggo Mortensen plays the best Lucifer ever.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In the Mouth of Madness is definately a great movie. I get bored late at night and watch all of Syd's DVD's, and I was very pleased the night I chose to watch that one.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
There's no way I could pick the 5 best trilogies ever, let alone the 5 best movies. I could list 100 movies and still feel like stuff was missing.

I totally know how Syd feels and I am like that about many things. I suppose I'll have to dig through the quagmire of my mind to find some movies. I'll throw five up that haven't been said/are rare(r).

5. The Scout

I just watched this again today for the first time in a few years and I still love it. Al Brooks' comedic acting is original and it's something I've always admired. Fraser was good too, but Steinbrenner was better.

4. Hunchback of Notre Dame

This is my favorite Disney Movie. Yes, I love Disney movies, but not all of them. I couldn't give a rat's ass about movies like Fox and the Hound, Pete's Dragon, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and I'm sure a few more. I'm more for later Disney, once they had musical formats which were originally devised by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.

3. All Dogs Go to Heaven

Another childish movie, but I'm a fan of Don Bluth films. I used to watch it a lot and hate the fact that my mother won't let me have the tape. v_v

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

By far the superior Star Trek movie, STII is my favorite sci-fi movie of all-time. It's hard to find the words to describe this so I'll just say: KAHN!

1. Godfather

This is the unmentioned one. I finally was able to view this tape recently, along with Part II. An instant classic in my book. It's one of those movies where you have to re-arrange your top-tier movie list about a quarter of the way through it, if not sooner. I still have yet to see Part III, since I have to coax the kid next door into bringing it over. I don't really like him, but he has the Godfather movies and Tiger Woods 2005, so I have to deal.

I'm surprised my head isn't bleeding from the bashing I had to do to come up with the answers I did. I think it's nap time.

RIP Hacker.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dont bother with the third one. It actually kills brain cells it is so bad.

Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
4. Hunchback of Notre Dame

This is my favorite Disney Movie. Yes, I love Disney movies, but not all of them. I couldn't give a rat's ass about movies like Fox and the Hound, Pete's Dragon, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and I'm sure a few more. I'm more for later Disney, once they had musical formats which were originally devised by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.

3. All Dogs Go to Heaven

Another childish movie, but I'm a fan of Don Bluth films. I used to watch it a lot and hate the fact that my mother won't let me have the tape. v_v

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

By far the superior Star Trek movie, STII is my favorite sci-fi movie of all-time. It's hard to find the words to describe this so I'll just say: KAHN!

1. Godfather

This is the unmentioned one. I finally was able to view this tape recently, along with Part II. An instant classic in my book. It's one of those movies where you have to re-arrange your top-tier movie list about a quarter of the way through it, if not sooner. I still have yet to see Part III, since I have to coax the kid next door into bringing it over. I don't really like him, but he has the Godfather movies and Tiger Woods 2005, so I have to deal.

For Hunchback, I agree, but that doesn't explain Hunchback as Ashman didn't work on it due to death. Don't get me wrong, Hunchback has become one of my FAVORITE Disney animated movies because:
1. The music is dark and operatic. Some lyrics (When she wants O-la-la, She wants you-la-la. You will discover guy, you are one heck of a guy) are mindless, but Hellfire made me applaude WILDELY in my living room like I would've at the stage theatre. Well worth the $10 I paid iTunes for it.
2. It is a DARK film! Dear god, this movie is DARK! The opening, we see a mother killed on the steps of a church and the killer is going to throw her baby down a well! Judge orders a farm, with a family still inside, burned to the ground Patriot-style! The chick dies... but comes back to life, because it IS Disney... but the Hunchback DOES NOT get her!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I FUCKING LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!

All Dogs really holds up well. As for Don Bluth, my favorite film of his is... Titan AE. What can I say? I love teen angst movies in space... Treasure Planet represent!

ST: II WoK is the best Trek... okay, debatable with III IMO, but I still like II better.

Godfather... rather part III. I like part III more than part one, but less than two. Many people hate me, but things III got right:
1. Pacing, the movie felt shy of two hours for me rather than 3 hours.
2. Sofia - I hate her as a director... but... she works in this film, because she is real. Many people accuse her of being a bad actress, but she reminded me of SEVERAL people I know. And she seemed... real to me. Not like some actor was "acting".
3. Action - There's more action in the film than the other two. I loves action Razz
4. The story - I like the idea the movie is about redemption, but God keeps saying, "Screw you!" to Pacino.
5. Pacino - His scary hair... idk... I like his acting in the film. Over the top, but he wasn't psychotic yet.

Fox and the Hound - Kurt Russell! 'nough said... no wait: Corey Feldman!

Kutulu
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
In the Mouth of Madness is definately a great movie. I get bored late at night and watch all of Syd's DVD's, and I was very pleased the night I chose to watch that one.

It most definately is, it is just too bad that people nowadays can't appreciate it, or don't even know who H.P. Lovecraft was. I tried watching it with a group of friends and they seemed to think the whole thing was hokey, which is the last time I let them view a cinematic masterpiece. Although it did have a few faults.

This is definitely a movie I would approve a remake of, if it was put in good hands and a great cast like the original had could be put together. Sam Neil can't easily be replaced though...

Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Top 5 is hard to do for anything, so here's my half assed list.

1) Fight Club
2) 25th Hour
3) Hero
4) Lord of the Rings (not the second two, but the first one) ((extended edition, at that))
5) Serenity
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 05 2006 02:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Deezee wrote:
Top 5 is hard to do for anything, so here's my half assed list.

1) Fight Club
2) 25th Hour
3) Hero
4) Lord of the Rings (not the second two, but the first one) ((extended edition, at that))
5) Serenity

I'm not one to comment on other people's lists, but it's midnight, so why not?

Fight Club = good and lives up to the hype.
25th Hour - Watched the first half hour and will one day finish it.
Hero - I love Jet Li, though I know the movie isn't about him =(
LOTR - You are my hero. I love the first one, hate the second, and the third is kinda long and eh-y. But Fellowship! That was a GREAT film.
Serenity - I'm just glad other people saw it! Best damn sci-fi film of 05! You can't take the sky from me! (SW is epic heroic genre).

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Mar 05 2006 08:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Akira
Taxi Driver
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
Hard Boiled

These are the five movies, in no particular order, that I hold most dear. Each is awesome in its own way.
Reply to topic

Jump to: