"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Wars: The Dark Nest Trilogy

Reply to topic
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 18 2008 01:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finally, FINALLY finished The New Jedi Order series and picked up all three books in the Dark Nest series, starting with The Joiner King. Now, I only started it yesterday, but I'm already almost half way through. Maybe it's because I like insects, maybe it's because the New Jedi Order was like 12 books long, but I really like The Joiner King so far. The rough summary is that the survivors of the mission to Myrkr begin to hear a call for help through the force and abandon their duties in patching together a galaxy still reeling from the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. When the Skywalkers and Solos investigate, they find that an insectile race long thought extinct and one survivor of Myrkr who has become a part of their hive mind. I know I'm way behind on books since the Legacy of the Force series just ended, but nobody ever talks about anything in here so I'll spam it with Star Wars prattle.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 19 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Annnndddd I'm the only one who reads Star Wars books. Fantastic.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 19 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

apparently so. lately, ive only read the dark empire I + II GN's + Crimson Empire. and the boba fett one too. oh, and the tales of the jedi ones w/kam olusar or whatever his name is. where the sith first come out.

in terms of the books, ive only read the young adult ones w/triclops and triocolus vying for the emperor's throne. that was about 15 years ago.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 20 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, read The Joiner King dammit! It's really good for a Star Wars book. I'll admit a lot of SW books tend to drag on or eventually becoming boring, but some keep you in the story the whole way through and this is one of them. All the major plot points are resolving (I'm almost to the end now) and I'm really interested in seeing how this storyline unfolds for two more books.

Actually, reading up on Wookiepedia on the Yuuzhan Vong war beforehand might be helpful before you attempt to read the Dark Nest books, if you do so. There's a lot that happens in that span of time that would make The Joiner King confusing in places without that knowledge.

erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: May 20 2008 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

when i was little i read young jedi knights.

but its weird reading star wars novels as you never know whats gonna be cannon or not. like the thing with boba fett and the escape from the sarlacc pit. i know lucas said he was ok with it but come on. the guy died. deal with it. its like the millions of revive oh whats her face in ff7. just move on already. to me when i see all these books i imagine its just a bunch of star wars fan boys writing out their ultimate fantasies of jedi ultimate death matches and stuff and not seriously trying to expand on the universe. and im tired.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 20 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if you're gonna knock the Fett escape, knock the really bad one from the Marvel comics where he escapes, loses his memory, is mistaken for a droid by jawas and then ends up saving Han from falling into the sarlacc but then falls in again himself when he regains his memory and tries to kill Han. Unfortunately, both stories of his escape are considered canon. You kind of have to pick and chose what you personally want to hold as canon with SW, I tend to ignore the entire Marvel comics run (because a lot of the plots, characters and situations are silly) and anything young-adult oriented. SW expanded universe is also sort of at a "golden age" at this point; the books are fairly well written and have interesting story arcs dealing with new heroes as well as old (though the old heroes are literally in their mid-60's by Dark Nest and probably should think about stopping all this running around the universe fighting off evil routine and let their kids handle it), the current comics are really good (at least Dark Times, Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy are. Republic itself was good too) and we're about to get the Clone Wars movie. A lot of earlier EU stuff is less interesting and sometimes weirdly far-fetched, as if some authors weren't sure of where the Star Wars universe's acceptable weirdness levels cap off. Also, and this is just a personal opinion, it annoys me that earlier EU stuff doesn't have any mention of any of the species introduced in the prequels nor references to events that happened during them. Obviously, they couldn't since the prequels didn't exist at the time, but now they seem weirdly out of place.

ShadowViperX
Title: Underhanded ninja
PostPosted: May 26 2008 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, so you're reading the Dark Nest Trilogy too! I've already finished the whole thing, though I'm sure I read it slower than you.XD

It's a very good series, you won't be disappointed by the next two books. I won't spoil anything plot-wise.

I've read quite a few books myself, since I'm a big Star Wars fan. I own only a few, including book seven of the X-Wing series, Solo Command, and the SW novel Cloak of Deception, which takes place before episode 1. Those are pretty good reads, too.

My library needs more SW novels!

I want you all to repeat after me:

I AM
SOFA KING
WE TODD ED

Now, your turn.*SNICKER*

This Is A Joke

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 27 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I finished The Swarm War the other day, finishing the trilogy in about a week and a half. They were by far the best SW books I've read recently, upon finishing one, I had to immediately start the next to see what happened next (cliche statement, but true.) I'm glad Troy Denning wrote all three so that the series maintained the same style instead of jumping from style style as it sometimes did in the New Jedi Order series.

And Viper, if you want to know some other good ones, I suggest Shatterpoint (about Mace Windu hunting down a rogue apprentice of his on his homeworld, it's like the Star Wars Vietnam), the novelization of Revenge of the Sith (which adds way more detail than the movie does) and Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (obviously detailing Darth Bane's rise to power) Those are some of the best I've read recently. I'd suggest the New Jedi Order books too, but that series goes on a looonnggg time, but it is also an important part of the EU history, the Vong invasion permanently alters a lot of things in the universe.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 27 2008 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Something I was thinking about today though; how did the dark nest know about R2 having holos of Anakin and Padme? Did I read the explanation and just don't remember? Or is it a plot point for later books in the Legacy of the Force series? I mean, I assume one of the colony's joiners knew about them but I don't remember them saying who exactly that was.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't read the books, but I think I posted awhile ago that I really, really, really want to read the book where one of Solo's kids kills Mara Jade and then the following books to see where that arc goes. That is bloody brilliant and excited me the moment I heard about it. Great room for drama.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I don't read the books, but I think I posted awhile ago that I really, really, really want to read the book where one of Solo's kids kills Mara Jade and then the following books to see where that arc goes. That is bloody brilliant and excited me the moment I heard about it. Great room for drama.

That would be Jacen in the Legacy of the Force series, the series I'm about to begin. I don't think that happens until towards the end of the series though so you might want to start from the beginning of LOTF. Though to get the full story on Jacen and how he gets where he is when he kills Mara, you should probably read Traitor which is about his imprisonment and torture for months by the Yuuzhan Vong and his meeting Vergere, the teacher who sends him down the dark path. The Dark Nest also really shows his increasing dettachment from his family and the Jedi order in favor of doing things his way. And from what tidbits I've read about recent LOTF books, his story only gets better.

Tebor
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Tebor wrote:

That would be Jacen in the Legacy of the Force series, the series I'm about to begin. I don't think that happens until towards the end of the series though so you might want to start from the beginning of LOTF. Though to get the full story on Jacen and how he gets where he is when he kills Mara, you should probably read Traitor which is about his imprisonment and torture for months by the Yuuzhan Vong and his meeting Vergere, the teacher who sends him down the dark path. The Dark Nest also really shows his increasing dettachment from his family and the Jedi order in favor of doing things his way. And from what tidbits of read about recent LOTF books, his story only gets better.

I appreciate that. I am hesitant because I'm not a fast reader and I have a ton of books to get through already (at the moment I am in the process of reading six different books).

I would read "Sacrifice" (is it?) and whatever book follows it because I really care about how this will effect the Solos and The Skywalkers. Their kids I don't really know, I don't have a bond with them, but because of the original trilogy I love their parents. I know something like this will devastate them. Luke will want blood, but Leia will want to try to save her son. It's basically a family drama with an epic betrayal in the middle. Isn't Jacen's sister like the main person after him too? That's such great Greek Tragedy material right there. I am so curious to see what they do with it. I only fear that they will stall it out and not really execute it with the dramatic flourish they should. It's been a year since that book came out so maybe the new one came out, I don't know, but that's really the only storyline I'm interested in.

Now, if it does deliver everything I wish it could, I would happily go back Star Wars prequel style and read the books leading up to it.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I know that right after Mara's death, Luke does get pretty enraged and gets into a really heavy battle with Jacen, but I also know that Jacen pretty much forms a splinter government that he controls and wages war against the Galactic Alliance, the current government of the galaxy. And yeah, Jaina is really pissed at him, even by the Dark Nest trilogy.

Tebor
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Well, I know that right after Mara's death, Luke does get pretty enraged and gets into a really heavy battle with Jacen, but I also know that Jacen pretty much forms a splinter government that he controls and wages war against the Galactic Alliance, the current government of the galaxy. And yeah, Jaina is really pissed at him, even by the Dark Nest trilogy.

Cool

The sad thing is I probably won't get around to reading those for at least another year. Although I kinda want the arc to have been played out before I begin... Sad

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Legacy of the Force just ended, I don't remember what the next arc is called or if it has actually been announced. I totally just spoiled the end of the series to myself by trying to look something up on Wookiepedia about Ben Skywalker, but I think you'd be pleased with the closure of the story.

ShadowViperX
Title: Underhanded ninja
PostPosted: May 31 2008 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just read about the Yuuzhan Vong on wiki. Very interesting stuff! It's also my first glimpse into Star Wars religion that involves actual deities. It's a good read, and explained quite a bit to me.

I want you all to repeat after me:

I AM
SOFA KING
WE TODD ED

Now, your turn.*SNICKER*

This Is A Joke

monachetti
PostPosted: Jun 12 2008 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i read the new jedi order series. i liked it a lot. i read a bunch of ones prior to that series, too, but i quit star wars when i moved on to the wheel of time. since reading that a couple times, everything else seems too simplified. i would like to read some books that follow yoda or obi wan between the movie trilogies though...are any of those out there yet?

Print is dead.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 12 2008 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had a conversation about all the stuff with Jacen and Jaina with a friend of mine who knows a lot more about EU Star Wars than myself. It went a little something like this.

Me (reeling from all the bad stuff that happens from Jacen mostly): So did Luke ever hit Han upside the head or something?
Friend: No, not really but he should've.
Me: What??!! Please, if I was writing the thing I would've had Luke go "Jesus Han, if I'd have known just how much the universe would be fucked up by my niece and nephew I would've cockblocked your ass back when my dad was around just so I could screw Leia, ensuring that any kids she did have would be too retarded to even wield a blaster let alone KILL MY FUCKING WIFE!"

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Jun 13 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

monachetti wrote:
i read the new jedi order series. i liked it a lot. i read a bunch of ones prior to that series, too, but i quit star wars when i moved on to the wheel of time. since reading that a couple times, everything else seems too simplified. i would like to read some books that follow yoda or obi wan between the movie trilogies though...are any of those out there yet?

Anything involving Obi-Wan usually also involves either Anakin or Qui-Gonn as well, but a The Cestus Deception is a good Obi-Wan Anakin one during the period between Episode II and III, and Dark Rendezvous is a Yoda story during the same period (I haven't read it myself though.)

Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 13 2008 02:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
What??!! Please, if I was writing the thing I would've had Luke go "Jesus Han, if I'd have known just how much the universe would be fucked up by my niece and nephew I would've cockblocked your ass back when my dad was around just so I could screw Leia, ensuring that any kids she did have would be too retarded to even wield a blaster let alone KILL MY FUCKING WIFE!"

Laughing

Star Wars the White Trash version... wait, no, they prefer incest. Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic

Jump to: