21%  [ 5 ]
Mmm, Maybe. . . .
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I haven't built a Lego a set in a few years, but I was wondering if anybody still does. If you do, which Lego sets have you build recently. Also, tell me which Lego theme was your favorite and which Lego set you liked building the most.

Some of my favorite themes were the Space Police, Star Wars, Aquanauts, UFO, and Ninja themes. One of my favorite Lego sets was the last one I remember building: An X-Wing fighter that came with Yoda's house.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wolfpac
Most of the stuff you mentioned came after i got out of legos.
Back in teh day lego had a kickass pirate theme that ventured into pacific tribes and royal trading companys. Although they reused alot of form factor big plastic parts some of the older and i mean 15 year old ships they had were 100% awesome. Other favs include Dragonknights the Time travelers. Cowboy and Indian had some cool stuff. Pretty much any of the medieval. Dont forget Iceplanet.

Every lego you have now is for retards. The pieces are huge and half of them move for you. Whats the point of building something if half of it is just 1 big hydrolic piece? Back in the day the biggest pieces yo had were the big flat ones for the most part. Everything was built with the smaller ones. No big filler pieces that take up half the design.
Bouya
Title: Delinquent
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 02:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

The last thing I built was a pirate ship with red and white sails, maybe 3 years or so ago.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I miss the old school shit where you had to string the ship sails and the drawbridges together yourself and where the shields were so poorly made that if you weren't super gentle, you'd snap off the piece that guys held onto. The days when spacemen didn't even have visors on their helmets. The days when legos came in exactly six major colors - red, yellow, blue, black, white, grey - and if you were lucky, you might green building boards or some cool neon pieces in the space sets.

Those were the days.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

erock462 wrote:
Wolfpac
Most of the stuff you mentioned came after i got out of legos.
Back in teh day lego had a kickass pirate theme that ventured into pacific tribes and royal trading companys. Although they reused alot of form factor big plastic parts some of the older and i mean 15 year old ships they had were 100% awesome. Other favs include Dragonknights the Time travelers. Cowboy and Indian had some cool stuff. Pretty much any of the medieval. Dont forget Iceplanet.

Every lego you have now is for retards. The pieces are huge and half of them move for you. Whats the point of building something if half of it is just 1 big hydrolic piece? Back in the day the biggest pieces yo had were the big flat ones for the most part. Everything was built with the smaller ones. No big filler pieces that take up half the design.

I remember those sets! Those were extremely awesome.

I still remember the sharks and dragons that came with the pirate and dragon themes respectively. I also remember those horses that had a weird hole in the back to put your Lego guys on as well as those hog-leg pistols the Lego pirates carried.

And I have to admit that many of the modern Lego sets have gotten boring. I would like to try the Lego Mindstorms sets, though, especially since I'm planning to do some programming in my future.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Feb 27 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I built the pirate ship. That thing is fucking awesome.

erock
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I remember a few pirate ships and a few royal navy ships. The biggest one had like 10 cannons on each side.

Btw anyone ever play that lego first person shooty game?

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/

every set pretty much.

i had rock island refuge of the pirate set. Same form factor as some ice bases.
Oh yeah i also had the twisted time train.
wow those shits were overpriced.
Bouya
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 03:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's the one I had.
Stanly
Title: I Live!
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to love lego....but we were poor white trash, so the only legos we had were a bucket FULL of all crap we got from Mcdonalds happy meals. I still have all of those somewhere actually...haha.

You could make the helicoptor (which was the only actual *set* I remember.) And I would always make square cars with the goofy triangular windows......I wish I could remember what other sets there were, they came in little bags......I bet that was a shitload of cheeseburgers......
Mr. Grimes
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 02:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-bjork- wrote:

That's the one I had.

That is one bad-ass ship, but I remember having one even more old school than that one. And it cost over a hundred bucks, which was hard to swing unless your parents were rich and cool.

Man, I was into Legos for as long as I can remember. Castle and Space Legos were my favorites back in the day, but I really got into pirates and town later on. I also liked the Aquanauts and barely remember Ice Planet (with those little bright orange chainsaws).

However, I felt that Legos had two problems back in the day:

1. They cost so fucking much.

2. They would introduce a cool new series and then not follow up on it. Lets take the pirate universe: For a while, there were only two factions in the pirate universe: The pirates and imperial gaurds. Then, they introduce the islanders. The islanders were cool and I liked having three factions to play with, but they stopped making the imperial gaurds once they made the islanders. Then, I'm pretty sure that they never did anything else with the islanders after their first group of sets. That's kind of why I liked town so much, because everything in town fit together pretty well. However, I never got to build my bad-ass Lego metropolis with monorail.

These days, Legos are pretty lame. They seem to have fewer small, special pieces and more larger pieces so that things are really simple to bulid. But, that's just me.
erock
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-bjork- wrote:

That's the one I had.

Holy fuck. Thats gotta be mid 80s? judging by the coloring and peiieces used.
Bouya
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

erock462 wrote:
Holy fuck. Thats gotta be mid 80s? judging by the coloring and peiieces used.

Nah, this was 2004 or 2005, and it was originally like $50 at Target, but I found it for $24.99 on clearance at Kay-Bee. I built it during a shift at our other location, and it still sits there now. Smile
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 28 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They didn't have pirate ships in the 80s. I'm pretty sure the first pirate set wasn't until 1990 or so. There *might* have been one in '89.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
erock
PostPosted: Feb 29 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah i just looked through it. The reds and browns made it look old school.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 29 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had the pirate ship with masts you had to thread and stuff, I don't remember it having a gauntlet of cannons though.

I also had the castle that folded open on the sides. Back when I had them our family had a big pool set so I'd put it in the center and it'd look like it was the center of this big grass plain.

I also used the lances as swords and the knives/cutlasses as daggers for my GI Joes (hence why most of my Joes looked like the mafia got to their thumbs).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Mar 02 2008 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played with Legos in years, but the last time I did, I did some The Sims-kinda thing with it. I also would steal the people from my school's set.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

worstamericanhero
Title: Wise Ass
PostPosted: Mar 02 2008 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah... Lego.

I remember frequently losing the pieces, and never having enough money to get the cooler sets.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10179

And I still don't have enough money to get this beast either!
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Mar 17 2008 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love Legos. Between me and my buddy, we had tons of stuff. But this was back in the day. Legoland, Space Police, Blacktrons, pirates, castles, and all of that. I know you can still get that kind of stuff, but for the most part, it seems like everything is related to the newest hollywood blockbuster (Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spiderman, etc) Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. I love the Lego Star Wars videogames. Lego Star Wars are cool as a stand alone. But they don't really go with all of the rest of the Lego universe. Now since most of them are movie based, none of them go together unless you want to help Spidey rescue Jack Sparrow from the Death Star.

As a former retail employee, I can tell you that the whole toy industry in general has gone down hill due to the fact that every seasons featured toylines are impacted by the latest Hollywood blockbusters. For example, everytime a new Spiderman movie is released, an all new toyline is realeased to go along with it. And it wasn't like when Star Wars was the top toy line. At least with Star Wars, they would release all of the characters in the movies. First you would get your main characters. Then some minor characters. Then even characters you may have missed if you blinked during the movies. The way it works now is you get 85 of the same damn character. A Spiderman that can shoot webs, one that can swing from structures, one with a cool punching action, one that does a flip, yada yada ya, etc, etc.

If we look at action figures in their prime, in the 80s, even early 90s, the figures were that were successful were all based off of multiple season cartoons (sometimes even live action shows). Hell, the He-Man chartoon was even based on the toy line. There were toys based on movies. But due to the limited amount of characters and ideas that can go into them, they were usually a flash in the pan at best with an exception of Star Wars, which has enough characters to keep a toy line alive for decades. Now, though there are still toys based on cartoons, they are outnumbered by the garbage they put out everytime there is a new movie come out.

Leave that crap for McFarlane and the novelty shops. Bring back action figures with the longstanding power of Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, etc. Are there not enough long running cartoons of the day to support this?

As for Legos, lately I have been seeing more in the stores that aren't based on movies. I am glad. But get rid of the movie garbage. Star Wars I don't mind as much. But I got by just fine as a kid without Star Wars Legos, or Superman, or whatever was popular at the time.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Mar 18 2008 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

What I need are generic action figures. They need to be poseable, not permanently staged into an awkward pose. Toys used to be a guy standing; you could move his arms, legs, and head. I miss those types of figures.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Mar 18 2008 03:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have actually been thinking about getting the millenium falcon kit to kill some time while I'm at work. I havent played with legos in forever and I thought that one might be fun to build since I can buy my own toys Very Happy Besides that, I think it will fit in perfectly bein in an office full of computer geeks.

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Mar 18 2008 04:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
What I need are generic action figures. They need to be poseable, not permanently staged into an awkward pose. Toys used to be a guy standing; you could move his arms, legs, and head. I miss those types of figures.

Well, I knew it was all over when C.O.R.P.S. became the last true action figure. One thing I will do is give some dap to Star Wars. They still do a helluva job with the action figures. And now they have even more obscure characters you can get. The only thing is I wish they would have ALL of the available figures on the back of the card like they used to. Now its like they just have maybe 3 other figures displayed on the back so you don't know what all is out there.

crookshow
Title: Donkey Kong Savage
PostPosted: Apr 10 2008 02:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6273

This was the last major lego set I got, and I think it was in the early 90s. I really wanted one of the big pirate ships, but they cost an assload of money back then so I had to settle on this, which was pretty badass in its own right. I was pissed though that all the cannons I ever ended up getting through Pirates sets were the non shooting variety. My neighbor had ones that could shoot and I was jealous. I don't know if they were randomly determined or what, but if so my luck must have sucked cause I ended up with like 7 or 8 and none of them could shoot.

Outside of my NES, Legos were easily my favorite toys growing up and I had a ton of sets. Back then all they had were the town, space (I remember the classic space sets previously mentioned where the guys wore solid blue, red, yellow or white suits with no visors.), castle and pirates (which was relatively new) if I remember correctly. Eventually all the pieces would end mixed up in 5 or 6 giant plastic tubs which I'd like to think are still somewhere back at my house.

Anyway, as a kid I was always wishing they'd come out with cooler themed legos like ninjas, star wars, batman and other stuff I liked. Now it kinda pisses me off that those sets actually exist, when I no longer have any interest in owning them. Oh well...
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Apr 23 2008 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the Star Wars LEGO. My biggest set was the podracing set with Anakin, Sebulba and Gasgano.

I don't actually build any sets, as I haven't bought any for a long time. But I have a full-on Alex Van Halen style 13-piece drum kit (for action figures) and a collection of varying guitars (also for action figures, particularly the Marvel Legends line)

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Squawk
Title: Loser in Society
PostPosted: Apr 26 2008 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I havent built a set in ages, But i used legos on my last phsych project, Got an A too. 1-UP
Hauntzor
Title: GET OUT BART I'M PISS
PostPosted: May 31 2008 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still builf them from time to time. I mostly build Bionicles, which is produced by LEGO, but I can't remember which one I built last...

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: