"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Twelve Worst Christmas Songs

Reply to topic
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" should have made the list.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

No way man, I loved that song as a kid.
jmfabianorpl
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Already emailed this to Syd, now let me run it by you all...

- Am I the only one who doesn't totally despise the Singing Dogs? Maybe it's cause I am a caninephile, maybe it's cause of that jaunty little guitar solo in the middle. But I can't hate it as much as others. Can you pretend I didn't say this so I don't have to kill myself as per your wishes?

- OH YES, die, Last Christmas, die. Every station in the NJ/NY area played this every other hour, it seems. (Do you live around here? If not, I am thusly not surprised that any Bruce Springsteen Xmas songs made it to your list. You might change your tune if you live in Jersey, as they play those almost as frequently. They're not BAD, but you just hear them OVER AND OVER)

- Comparing Enya to a '902/2000s R&B'er is an insult to Enya. Now That's What I Call XXXX is usually an insult to music in general.

- Have to call you on the Waitresses trivia. They were known for one more thing: the theme tune to "Square Pegs." Which isn't too bad, it's the only TV show with Sarah Jessica Parker that I can watch.

- NKOTB = anti-Christs to any male kids growing up in the '90s or whatever. Speaking of which, do you remember a parody of Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (which I am surprised didn't make your list due to it being pretty unpopular...I don't intensely hate it but the novelty did get old) called "New Kids Got Run Over etc. etc."? I recall some other kids in my middle school singing this one: "New Kids got run over by a reindeer/All the little kiddies are in shock/No more have a Funky, Funky Christmas*/Cause there's no more New Kids On The Block"

* - You mentioning FFC was what reminded me of said parody, naturally.

- I used to be obsessed with Dominick the Donkey. I was young and had no sense! And there was a girl I knew named Josephine whom I liked to twist the "Dress for Josephine" lyrics to mock.

- In all fairness about your Paul McCartney criticism, the real Paul was probably pretty good. We all know the person we're criticizing today is William "Paul McCartney" Campbell Wink

Seriously, this is another song that overplaying killed for me.

- Andy Williams? I thought it was Frank Sinatra all this time! (Not that it matters, I can take or leave Frank. Now Nancy, I'd let her walk all over me with her boots...)

- Do They Know It's Christmas? is another polarizing song, so no surprise that it may have got on your list. It's not a particular favorite of mine, so whatever. HOWEVERRRRRRRRRR....you must be made of sterner stuff than I if you were not irked as much as I am by...

THE. FUCKING. CHRISTMAS. SHOES.

Seriously, how did this NOT get on your list, let alone in the Top 5?

Other ones I would have had up there:

Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" Add overplayed with overrated, then good times will be had by all!

"Where Are You Christmas?" by Faith Hill. Like I need to be reminded of the horror that was Jim Carrey as Jim Carrey in a Furry Green Suit (I can't call it by the name it was intended to be known as)

"Hey Santa" by Carnie Wilson and some other person. Take this crap back to Lifetime!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 04:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, I HATE Grandma Got Run Over by a Reigndeer. The movie and the song.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never saw the Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer movie/tv special. There's no reason to make a movie over a disposable joke.

And I actually liked the Grinch movie. I think I'm one of the few who did. There's only five of us left, the rest died after being shunned.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Which one? The Jim Carey one or the original? I like both.

And Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (the special) has one redeeming quality: The evil red-haired bitch in it is pretty damn hot.

jmfabianorpl
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
Which one? The Jim Carey one or the original? I like both.

And Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (the special) has one redeeming quality: The evil red-haired bitch in it is pretty damn hot.

Oh, roughly on the topic...did you know they also did a special/movie about ELFBOWL????? If they make a full-length song of "Elf, Elf Baby," then it might be cool.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Christmas Shoes" was a contender for awhile, but I can't listen to the song without laughing. Like most country ballads, it tries too hard to be sad, and it comes off as silly to anyone who isn't a redneck. I mean, it's only one step up from the song "Freedom Costs A Buck-Oh-Five" from the Team America: World Police soundtrack in terms of sheer silliness. "If mama meets Jesus toniiiight"? How can you NOT laugh at that?

Most of that other stuff would have made the list if I had done a Top 20 instead of being a lazy bastard. Another song I wish I had included is a super annoying version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" that is composed entirely of whistling. I fucking hate whistling, and this song has some really shrill parts to it that really piss me off. Unless your name is Axl Rose, keep your fucking whistling to yourself. I couldn't find who did it though, and I had no desire to look into to it, so it was kept off the list.
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
"Christmas Shoes" was a contender for awhile, but I can't listen to the song without laughing. Like most country ballads, it tries too hard to be sad, and it comes off as silly to anyone who isn't a redneck. I mean, it's only one step up from the song "Freedom Costs A Buck-Oh-Five" from the Team America: World Police soundtrack in terms of sheer silliness. "If mama meets Jesus toniiiight"? How can you NOT laugh at that?

Most of that other stuff would have made the list if I had done a Top 20 instead of being a lazy bastard. Another song I wish I had included is a super annoying version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" that is composed entirely of whistling. I fucking hate whistling, and this song has some really shrill parts to it that really piss me off. Unless your name is Axl Rose, keep your fucking whistling to yourself. I couldn't find who did it though, and I had no desire to look into to it, so it was kept off the list.

You could have an yearly top 10 worst Christmas songs list and put those you missed, like christmas shoes on that.

I think we can all be thankful for the fact that new years is upon us, there will be no more Christmas jingles and there is only ONE song that is related to new year day.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

You could have an yearly top 10 worst Christmas songs list and put those you missed, like christmas shoes on that.

I think we can all be thankful for the fact that new years is upon us, there will be no more Christmas jingles and there is only ONE song that is related to new year day.

New Years day by U2

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Dec 28 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

New Years day by U2

Not the one i was thinking of but that is one of U2's finest songs of all

ImageImageImage

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:

Amen to that!

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
jmfabianorpl
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:

Amen to that!

I never saw the special, but Wikipedia is my friend:

Quote:
The 2000 animated television program Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer portrays the events depicted in the song — though, being made for children, the cartoon is toned down of adult content, so that Grandma does not die, and Santa is actually innocent of the crime, which was instead masterminded by a scheming relative ("Cousin Mel," depicted briefly in the song but made into a gold-digging villainness on the show). Elmo Shropshire reads for the voice of Grandpa (as well as being the narrator of the special).

Wow, how do you pull this off minus the whole point of the song? This would be like if "Titanic" had the ship NOT sink. (OTOH, the video to the song had Grandma survive too...)

And Cousin Mel is NOT a guy?!!? Even though the song depicted her/him as a football-watching, beer-drinking, poker player? This is the biggest twist since Poison in Final Fight. Either that or I'm just having a mysogynistic moment.
jmfabianorpl
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know, that sums my feelings up, actually. I know I was making the song sound like the devil spawn, and it is sappy and preachy (there ARE better/more subtle ways to teach people about generosity and good will, both of which I AM a fan of, make no mistake). But really, it's one of those things that to me is fun to say, "Oh no, not IT again!" about.

I never heard this whistley BICO...as it is, the song is so fun that it's hard to ruin when you use words. Maybe if the singers are really shitty. But I usually like it.

Syd Lexia wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer cartoon was stupid. In the song, Grandma is an unlikeable drunk who stumbles in front of Santa's sleigh and meets an untimely end. In the cartoon, she's a kind-hearted business owner who falls victim to greedy cousin Mel's machinations.
MOGHARR
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 02:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And Grandma's voice is all fucked up. She sounds like an elf or something.

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Dec 29 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw that Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer cartoon and it was bad. Not good-bad just . . . bad. Mel is more 'blown out of proportion' then the a Disney villain And bitch who messes with a Grandma's Christmas would get her ass beat, especially in the south. And what about that whole 'the casoroll smells like Reindeer chow and that's why they ran her over'? I mean . . . that came out of freaking no-where and was about as cheesy as a plot device could get.

Hell, Hiro's time warping makes more sense then 'it was the casoroll's fault'. Rolling Eyes

ImageImageImage

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Dec 30 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
And Grandma's voice is all fucked up. She sounds like an elf or something.

That's because she was part elf. It wasn't explained but even with her memory gone, she seemed way too comfortable around elfs. Maybe her granddaddy was an elf, got drunk, went for a joy ride on santa's sleigh, landed in Idaho, met a coaked up striper and had sweet elf/human relations all night long. It would also explain how she survived getting run over by all the reindeer since she had elf-healing-factor in her genes.

And that my friends is more closely linked to the song then that freaking cartoon.

Bottles up Life Potion

ImageImageImage

MOGHARR
PostPosted: Dec 30 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey RTS, why don't YOU start writing Christmas songs/movies? That story was actually entertaining!

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Dec 30 2007 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
Hey RTS, why don't YOU start writing Christmas songs/movies? That story was actually entertaining!

I should . . . i really should . . .

I could write a depressing piece on how this kid tricked me into giving him money to buy his dying sister a freaking tickle me elmo then come to find out, it was a scam his mom was in on. I then would write about going to a strip club to give away my money for a much better cause, his mom would be one of the strippers and seduce all my money away, then her son would walk in pretending to be her violent (possible done time) boyfriend and threaten to cut my balls off if i didn't give him my watch and shoes.

I think i would call it:

"That darn kid stole my booze money, I can't tell what time the bars close and Jack Frost ate my feet" or "My Unholy Redneck Christmas Eve Night"

The country folk would love it. Wink

ImageImageImage

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 31 2007 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I liked the cartoon! But I was 12 when I watched it.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Reply to topic

Jump to: