SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Universal Dungeons & Dragons Thread.

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 16 2008 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice. Cool

And funnier cause I have Hero Quest too... Embarrassed

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: May 23 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

D&D 4...

OK, I think I have a lot to say on this topic, so it may get long. If it doesn't, well, that just added another sentence Very Happy

D&D really didn't need an upgrade passed 2.

When TSR sold it to Wizards of the Coast(hereby now as(WotC - pronounced Watt-See)) Wizards thought they need to make all the changes and update it.

Enter the D20 system.

The Oh so simple version of the gaem that now, for some reason needs updating? Say what? TSR sound the books for years, decades even, without an update and now suddenly THEIR perfect system needs updates, new books, and accessories?

Who plays D&D with accessories anyway? The whole purpose is to DM and create the world's for your player and their imagination and find a middle ground. Accessories are only important for complicated fights so the DM can know where everyone is at any given time. For me, it was dice I already owned, for them it's a $25 figure.

I play 2.0 and have never moved on. There's no reason to.

WotC also gleefully ignores the line in all former TSR books. "These rules are only outlines." You can change the rules. YOU can CHANGE the rules! OMG! No way! These laws aren't permanent? D&D was about creating yuor own worlds and making your own judgment calls with the books as a guide.

So, I think WotC is just after money. They own Magic:The Gathering, what do they need more money for? My guess is because anytime they take on another other game it bombs, due to their goldenboy Magic. Don't get me wrong, I've got 10+ years in Magic, but this is just pathetic.

Screw the D20 system and version 4.0.

Feel free to use this rant anywhere Smile

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 23 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I preferred 3rd/3.5 over 2nd edition simply because it unified and simplified a lot of stuff. The more I've read regarding 4th however, the more it seems they're trying to compete or at least be as interesting as MMOs, seeing as most spells/abilities are either instantaneous or last 1 round. I'm still willing to give 4th a looksee though.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: May 28 2008 03:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't ask how but I managed to procure pdfs of all 3 core books for 4th edition. I'm going through them bit by bit and will let you guys know what's different compared to 3rd.

Ability Scores. You're given the choice to either take a 16 and 14-10 and put them where you want, starting with five 10s and an 8 for a point-buy system, or rolling your stats the proper way with an addendum you can't use the last method if you're going to use the character for an RPGA game.

Alignment. Dropped down to 5 options: Good, Lawful Good, Evil, Chaotic Evil, and Unaligned. Of course "Good" is just Neutral Good, "Evil" is just Neutral Evil, and Unaligned is just Neutral.

Starting Gold. 100 gp regardless of class.

Deities. Avandra (Good goddess of change), Bahamut (Lawful Good dragon god), Correllon (Unaligned god of fey and arcana), Erathis (Unaligned goddess of civilization), Ioun (just like the magic stones, Unaligned goddess of prophecy, knowledge, and skill), Kord (Unaligned god of battle and storms), Melora (Unaligned goddess of the wilderness and the sea), Moradin (Lawful Good god of creation), Pelor (Good god of the sun and Summer), The Raven Queen (Unaligned goddess of death), Sehanine (Unaligned god of the moon and Autumn).
Furthermore, it mentions a character can worship a Chaotic/Evil diety but that doing such a thing means walking a fine line and says that information on such deities is covered in the DMG (Mentioning Asmodeus, Bane, Grummsh, Lolth, Tiamat, Vecna and two newcomers: Torog the evil god of the Underdark and Zehir the evil god of darkness, poison, and assassins.)

Languages. A lot less both in spoken and written form.
Common is its own language and script, which is also the script for Goblin.
Deep Speech (think Underdark residents) and Elven share the same script claled Rellanic.
Draconic is called Iokharic when written as script.
Dwarven and Giant used the same script, called Davek.
Primordial (spoken by elemental beings) and Abyssal both use a script called Barazhad.
The alignment tongues from the past edition (Abyssal, Infernal, Celestial, etc.) are called Supernal in both written and spoken form.

Attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks are now made as:
1d20 + (1/2 character level) + Relevant ability score modifier + any other modifiers.

At 4th level and every four levels thereafter you increase 2 of your ability scores by 1 point apiece. At 11th and 21st level you can take a "paragon path" and "epic destiny" at the respective levels. Feats are gained at 1st level, every even-numbered level, and also at 11th and 21st level. There're only 17 skills now, several of which were either axed or fused with others into a single skill (such as Perception being a merger of Listen and Spot). Reaching 2nd level requires 1K of XP just like in 3rd, but 30th level requires 1M.

I'll have more to post in time (at least if anyone's interested).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 28 2008 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Axing 4 alignments is annoying. What was more fun than playing a Chaotic Neutral character? Rushing into battle without thought or plan?

Leeeeeeroooooy Jeeeeeeenkinnnnnnnns!

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 28 2008 07:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have this set also, and here's what I have found so far:

Pros:

Really nice artwork.

Cons:

Everything else.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jun 09 2008 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

In short, 4th Edition is a seperate beast. The product of what looks like an MMO or Console RPG being slapped into paper and ink.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Jun 09 2008 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Me and my group are waiting for the arrival of the books, and are willing to give them a try. The best thing about DnD is they can't revoke previous books, so if you and about 3-5 other people still like 2 or 3.5, you can always revert.

3.5 was better than 2.0. Thats all I want to say at the moment.

Laminated Sky
Title: Extra Crispy
PostPosted: Jun 09 2008 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never understood DnD can someone explain it to me?

I'm so bananas I'm showing up to your open casket,
to fill it up with explosive gases,
and close it back,
with a lit match in it,
while I sit back, and just hope it catches.

Blow you to fragments,
laugh,
roll you, and smoke the ashes.

http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=Laminated_Sky

Signature subject to change without notice.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Ghandi
PostPosted: Jun 09 2008 07:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Axing 4 alignments is annoying. What was more fun than playing a Chaotic Neutral character? Rushing into battle without thought or plan?

Leeeeeeroooooy Jeeeeeeenkinnnnnnnns!

This always managed to be my alignment, Chaotic Neutral. It's also includes acting in your own interests(despite what you may convince your party otherwise).

I usually play Halfling Thieves. They're just fun Very Happy

Me: "You want to fight about it?!"
[pushes resident fighter forward and steps back]
Me: "Get 'em Dax!"

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 12 2008 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Over the past week I found two other websites of people bitching about version 4. What the hell makes it so bad? Does it rape your mother in the shit hole while you watch?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Ghandi
PostPosted: Jun 12 2008 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Over the past week I found two other websites of people bitching about version 4. What the hell makes it so bad? Does it rape your mother in the shit hole while you watch?

I think my rant covers a lot of the reasons Smile

If they've got more I'm open to agreeing with those reasons too. Wink

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Thorinair
Title: Sophisticated as Hell
PostPosted: Jul 02 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always just played vesion 3.5, but I might try D&D4.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jul 02 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard you can play DnD 4 online. For that I am happy.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jul 04 2008 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
I heard you can play DnD 4 online. For that I am happy.

That first sentence deserves a big asterisk:

To get the best effect, you have to pay a subscription fee of $14.95 a month to D&D Insider (but you can create an account with them for free) for the D&D Game Table.

"The D&D Game Table is an online 3D environment that allows you to play the D&D Roleplaying Game with friends over the Internet -- twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The D&D Game Table allows players to connect anytime and anywhere, features a fully integrated Voice-Over IP as well as text chat, and is designed to simulate the tabletop game experience as much as possible."

"You enter the D&D Game Table Lobby as either a player or a Dungeon Master (DM). You can then chat (text or voice) with other players in the Lobby, set up a game, or join another game. While in the Lobby, you can search for games of a specific level, by campaign setting, or by other criteria."

That being said, they do allow you to build your own dungeon maps and such for free. There's also a character visualizer program for use on said maps, allowing you to come relatively close to what you've got in your head as to what your character looks like, then put it on the D&D Game Table.

Also, you don't need to pay the subscription feee to join D&D Insider, just to run the Game Table application.

As for the game itself, all the customization and versatility of 3.X Edition has gone out the window for the sake of simplicity (at least for now). Every class gets powers that are either instantaneous or last for the duration of an encounter (very much in line with the existing minis game style of play). The game is very combat centric, resulting in a good vibe of the battles will be excellent, but you've got to work a lot harder to make a character truly stand out. As it stands right now, two characters of the same class will likely have 2 or 3 common powers per level.

My current stance on buying into 4th as someone exposed to 2nd and most of 3.X is that I'll wait about a year or two until all the old stuff (druids, monks, barbarians, half-orcs, psionics) comes out and then see if I can create any memorable characters. When that time comes, then I'll buy the books.

One last bit. I've played several online games of D&D. Visualization can sometimes be a problem, but it's nothing a link to the map or monster in question can't fix (with alphanumeric gridding with maps for spacing purposes in combat).

TheRoboSleuth
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cast True Resurrection on the thread as supernatural ability to avoid cost of diamond dust!

I've been playing 4.0, and it turns out that published 1st level adventures continue to blow, and blow hard.

Dragonborn paladin, cool idea right. But our enemies have been the following, kobolds, kobold slingers, kobold dragonshields, kobold chieftan, one goblin sharpshooter, a gnome arcanist, and a wolf or two.

There is exactly zero drama. The adventure doesn't know how to make kobolds the least bit interesting or intimidating. Granted, its kobolds, but come on. We've hade like 6-7 fights with the little buggers. Note the four types of kobolds. This is known in the videogame world as pallete swapping. Not to mention the whole affair has an "Attack of the killer midget" feel to it.

You don't die as quick, but fights take forever. Theres a plot involving a cult of the buggers worshipping a dragon, but the dragon doesn't have a real agenda.

This is not necessarily representative of the game as a whole. 1st level sucked in every edition. But, its just more of the same. Why should I care, and why should I move on?

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 01:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
I've been playing 4.0, and it turns out that published 1st level adventures continue to blow, and blow hard.

Dragonborn paladin, cool idea right. But our enemies have been the following, kobolds, kobold slingers, kobold dragonshields, kobold chieftan, one goblin sharpshooter, a gnome arcanist, and a wolf or two.

There is exactly zero drama. The adventure doesn't know how to make kobolds the least bit interesting or intimidating. Granted, its kobolds, but come on. We've hade like 6-7 fights with the little buggers. Note the four types of kobolds. This is known in the videogame world as pallete swapping. Not to mention the whole affair has an "Attack of the killer midget" feel to it.

You don't die as quick, but fights take forever. Theres a plot involving a cult of the buggers worshipping a dragon, but the dragon doesn't have a real agenda.

This is not necessarily representative of the game as a whole. 1st level sucked in every edition. But, its just more of the same. Why should I care, and why should I move on?

You're playing Keep on the Shadowfell or whatever it's called right? I hear several of the encounters are poorly rated (to say nothing about the fact that apparently a succubus can TPK better than a red dragon, I mean what the hell man??!!)

After a lot of thought I'm sticking with my 3.5. It's what I know and what I can work with.

Something else that bugs me about the iconic monster types like goblins, zombies, kobolds, etc. is there isn't a single generic entry in 4.0's MM. WOTC has to make like 4 different "classes" of the guys instead of giving me the freedom as a DM to take the base stats of say a goblin, and make it a goblin blackguard with a worg mount.

TheRoboSleuth
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Advancing monsters in 3.5 could be wonky, but you could also make some very interesting combinations.

I created a half black dragon fire giant barbarian, to challenge theoretical 20th level characters. Also, a barbarian mind flayer with lotsa grapple skills. And a huge size flesh golem with gnome wizard on the shoulders. And a bunch of other stuff.

Kinda harder to do now, although I think the solo idea is very sound.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The transition from Battletech to Meckwarrior Dark Ages that happened when FASA sold out to WizKidz is way more annoying than what's happening to D&D. But then again nobody plays Battletech anyway. Confused

M3GA MAN
Title: The Big A
PostPosted: Sep 08 2008 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Knyte wrote:
Black Zarak wrote:
Valdronius wrote:
Black Zarak wrote:
You can also be bored to tears hearing the DM describe situations to you instead of having any sort of visual reference.

Sort of like, say, a book? I believe those are still relatively popular.

Touche salesman. Still, I read constantly and am never bored by it while every single time in my life that I have ever played D&D, that has been the part that bores the hell out of me.

http://paizo.com/store/apparel/tShirts/pegasusPublishing/v5748btpy7zkz

That shirt says it all.

Hey, I have more imagination than half this board, I just find that endless tallying of stats and rolling of dice does not a fun, immersive game make.

Same, except I still find D&D fun.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 09 2008 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

After constantly hearing about it, I recently downloaded the beta PHB for Pathfinder (a responce by PAIZO Publishing that maybe 3.5 is better with a few slight improvements rather than a completely new edition) and am digging a lot of the things they've done.

Taking a level in your racial favored class gives you the choice between an extra hit point or an extra skill point (Furthermore, they raised the HD for wizards, sorcerers, rogues, and bards by one category too).

Each of the basic races now has two options for favored class and gets +2 to two scores and -2 to one (Half-Orcs get +2 Str and Wis for -2 Int; Half-elves and Humans just get +2 to any one chosen ability score). Each core race also gets a cool little power like Gnomes casting Illusions at +1 caster level or Half-Orcs gaining the daily ability to continue functioning normally for 1 round after being reduced to 0 HP or less.

Synergy bonuses were dropped in favor of giving you a +3 bonus to any skill that's on your class and you put at least 1 rank in. Furthermore, if a PrC requires X ranks of a skill, you need X-3 (minimum 1) to qualify if that skill is a class skill or 2X if it's a crossclass skill (Spellcraft with a Fighter).

Gather Information was subsumed into Diplomacy.
Concentration is now part of Spellcraft
Search, Spot, and Listen were merged into Stealth
Jump and Tumble became Acrobatics
Forgery was combined with another skill for Linguistics
Flight is a new skill, to represent the same sort of prowess that Swim and Ride have.
Use Rope doesn't exist.

Every base class was redesigned enough to make them interesting enough to take up to the full 20 levels.
Barbarian: Raging is now handled like a point system. Starting at 2nd level, you can learn rage powers including things like gaining a bite attack, reroll a Will save, increased DR for 1 round, +1d6 energy damage (any but sonic) to attacks for 1 round, a dodge bonus vs. melee or ranged attacks = barbarian level for 1 round (but not both at the same time), demoralizing Intimidate as a free action, 5 foot knockback when you attack, low-light vision, auto-confirming a crit, negate the penalties of raging for 1 round, darkvision 60', adding your barbarian level to a single attack's damage or attack roll, an extra AoO, heal 1d8+Con mod hit points, rage while fatigued, add your barbarian level to one Strength check or combat maneuver, an extra 10, 20, or 30 feet to your base speed, unleash a panicking howl, or to make one additional attack when taking a full-attack action.

The Paladin also got a major facelift akin to what the Pathfinder Barbarian is like.

The classes that traditionally get a pet/mount (druid, ranger, paladin, sorcerer, wizard, etc.) all gain that as one of two options. For example, the ranger can instead choose to give half his favored enemy bonus to allies within 30 feet for a few rounds instead of gaining a companion, and the wizard can choose to take a bonded object instead of a familiar.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 02:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

3 things.

1.) Since Knyte made it, maybe rename this thread and make it for D&D, period?

2.) I still haven't moved up to 4th edition (I'm fine with 3.5), but would anyone on here be interested in joining my Ravenloft game I'm running online? So far it's just 2 of my friends who've barely played the game (and never with me). I'm giving them pregenerated characters (with a lot of tweaks to fit their personalities and playing styles) but if you know what to do with 3.5 and/or 3.5 Ravenloft you're welcome to make your own (though I've got a good list of variant rules I'm using).

3.) Stumbled across this and thought I'd share:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I just came a little.
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's 2:14 that I will never get back. Hot chick, but, ugh. I don't know what to say.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Oct 26 2008 03:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://somehedgehog.livejournal.com/245807.html This is what a gaming group consisting of the current and former presidential candidates of 2008 would sound like.

Reply to topic

Jump to: