"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Looking for a NES game, HARD to find!

Reply to topic
tristan
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 07:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I'm glad I found this forum.
There are two games that I've been looking for more than 10 years, which I had on the NES when I was young, I had many games but those three were my absolute favorites, and until this day, browsing through entire NES libraries and going through many online "best of NES" lists I couldn't find, and well, those games were excellent.
The first game, was an action platformer, where you play a boy or a guy, he has a bird or a pigeon on his shoulder. He attacks his enemies by "shooting" the bird on them. If I remember correctly, the game was completely in japanese, and the graphics were just splendid, maybe I'm wrong now but the graphics do remind me of Jackie Chan (which I also had back then).
I remember that when you faced the bosses, you had to beat them in a sort of a card game, not sure but I think so, maybe that helps..
The second one I received from a friend and I remember he called it Super Mario 6 (lol) but the thing is that it WAS actually mario for example, in the first levels he could get an umbrella and fly down with it, also when he became small he could slide on the floor the same way Samus in Super Metroid does.
Now the third game I'm trying to find was an action/fighting game, also completely in japanese, the seller said it's actually a continuation of Double Dragon. I never believed it even then, but it was Jap, so I've no idea if that's right!
The main character you play, could kick and punch multiple times at the same hit. Heh, this is too hard to explain but I do remember the music very well!! therefore, I just recorded myself playing that part so please check it out (it's very small, only 60kb and it's a direct dl). It might not be exact, 15 years have passed, maybe more, I can't remember! I tried my best at capturing my memory and I think I didn't do bad at all. Just a fast tryout!

http://www3.speedyshare.com/data/325352514/5570689/58659010/gamenes.mp3

I really hope you can help me with the identification of those games, I'm looking for them for years. The pigeon game at most, I think Smile
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

If "Mario 6" actually had Mario in it, then the game probably actually was called Mario 6. There were a lot of bootleg NES games produced in southeast Asia, including several absolutely terrible ports of Street Fighter 2.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
tristan
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

What about the rest? The pigeon game? Did you hear me playing the melody of the third one?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

The game with the guy with the bird is a Japanese game called Kamen no Ninja: Hamaru, which was later drastically changed released in North America as Yo! Noid. How in the world did you ever get a copy of that?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
tristan
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

MIGHTY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truly remarkable!! I'm so happy now!
I can't believe it!! Amazing that I found this one!
Kamen no Ninja - Hanamaru is the one, I checked out Yo! Noid and it's really uncomparable! Kamen no Ninja, what a game! a classic NES platformer. Just beautiful! People have to get to know this one.

My father had business in Japan at the time, he brought my NES from there with four games as a present. Super Mario, Chip `n Dale, Duck Tales and Kamen no Ninja, apparently!

May I ask just one question, how on earth do you know about this game? and about that crappy north american release?

Oh and one more thing, did you hear my MP3? It's very little and I think I did nail the melody.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Yo! Noid is a fairly infamous title with the internet gaming community. People often ask how the hell a game that's supposed to be about a guy who steals pizza ends up being about a guy with a yo-yo who fights his way through a city fighting card battles against Noids. The answer is that is that when Capcom secured the rights to make a Noid game, they just converted a game they had already made, Kamen no Ninja: Hamaru, into a game that they felt Western audiences would appreciate more than the original.

I did listen to your clip and I am not sure. The music is fairly generic... it remind me a lot of the music from one of the TimeSplitters 2 levels. Can you give a slightly more detailed description of the game? Also, is the third game a NES game? You initially state you're looking for two old NES games, then list three games...

I can tell you this, if it is a NES game, it isn't even almost related to Double Dragon. Double Dragon's creator, Technos Japan, did release several games that never made it to North America, but none of them have music like you described. Also, all of those games use River City Ransom styled graphics.
tristan
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that's why I'm not sure it's really related to double dragon.
The game is indeed a NES game, the character is colored almost entirely in orange if I remember correctly.
It's possible to kick high or low and punch high or low (like in Mortal Kombat manner), the character kicks quite fast, it's not possible to make just one kick or one punch but it seems like it operates only in turbo mode. Razz
I don't know much more, but the music is really the music from the first level, I'm sure about that.

Here are more pics of Kamen no Ninja, it owns!

And how did you get to know about this japanese version? It's very impressive that you do.
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That would explain why Yo Noid! had the scrolls...
It's all so very clear now. >_<

I may take a gander at the third one after work, as I have to leave soon. If Syd can't find it, I'll look through some sources.

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tristan wrote:
And how did you get to know about this japanese version? It's very impressive that you do.

I spend way too much time on the internets... Embarrassed
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 02:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't I mention Hamaru in my blurb about Yo! Noid?

*checks*

Yes I did.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed you did. I think Zeke did as well, though not by name. I cut out my mention of it, because it seemed dumb to have all three of us mention it. No one mentioned the bird.
shiny
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, you play good!
tristan
PostPosted: Aug 17 2007 04:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Me?
If so, thanks mate, it's the second level though.
I'm still wondering really, about that weird action-fighting-side scroller multi kick/puncher game and
that very mysterious umbrella Mario. It has to be possible to discover..
tristan
PostPosted: Mar 30 2015 05:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,

Finally, after all those years, I found the game I was looking for!

https://youtu.be/GDVsUK-QkKY?t=1m45s

(there's also a US version of the game, less great.. https://youtu.be/nI_7ZnXpg0Y?t=27s)

Amazing!

(and another one, that Mario 6 clone was actually "Armadilo") Smile
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 30 2015 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome dude, congrats. It's very pleasing to finally figure shit out after many years of looking, I've been in that boat before too.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2015 06:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice!
YellowyOshi398
PostPosted: Apr 02 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great job and cool game, I had never heard of it before!

It's not exactly relevant, but there's a semi interesting story behind "Super Mario 6." As mentioned before, plenty of Mario bootlegs were created and distributed in Asia featuring crazy numbers and Mario's head pasted lazily over the protagonist of the original game. But what is slightly less known about these bootlegs is that most of them originate from the same company, and have a strange sort of internal consistency. A Chinese team of bootleggers is not only responsible for hacking Mario into these games, but also numbering them as "Super Mario 4-17," so as to trick unsuspecting consumers into thinking that they were a part of the real Mario games.

These bootlegs saw distribution throughout Asia and parts of Eastern Europe, including Russia, where they were especially popular on a Famiclone called "Dendy." Nintendo had no official presence in Russia at the time, so Russians relied solely on bootlegs like Dendy for gaming. Dendy was the largest distributor and at the height of its popularity had a presence comparable to the NES in America, with consoles in almost every home and even its own TV show (which would surely be asking for a lawsuit nowadays). The funny thing is that, since every game available for purchase in Russia was a bootleg, there was no real distinction between Super Mario 1-3 and Super Mario 4-17 - so most Russians at the time just assumed there really were 17 Mario games! And that the quality control and internal consistency just dropped off a cliff after the third, I guess.

There's more information on these games here:
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Pirate_Hacks

By far my favorite thing about this series is how lazy some of the sprite edits are done. Many games including the Armadillo hack just replace the original sprites with Mario sprites, but a lot of them are lazy head swaps to comedic effect. Take the Flintstones hack, Super Mario 7, where Mario is blatantly cosplaying Fred:

I have to say, my favorite based solely on comedic effect is Super Mario 14, a hack of Kid Niki 3. I always crack up during its opening cutscene. The character literally transforms into Mario!

Sorry for the filibuster.

tristan
PostPosted: Apr 15 2015 09:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's hillarious! Super Mario 14!
Interesting information what you're sharing here, I would copied and pasted this into the Super Mario Wikipedia entry. Do you have any sources for the information?
Reply to topic

Jump to: