"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Message Board Etiquette

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Dec 24 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It has occurred to me that it is impossible to be polite on a message board. I am currently under attack at two different sites, which I was joking, but was taken seriously.

Message boards are hard places to find someone nice. Almost always someone will jump on something you type and then it's just a wild ride of spam wars until it runs its course.

As such, I've decided to go back into stand up comedy and use these people as my act. The drama that occurred on one site in particular can carry my career for years. One thing I will continue to do five years from now is post of boards. It can only be assumed that I will also be offending people. This will lead to an unlimited supply of stupid idiots who will continue to attack me with poor punctuation and typing skills.

Looks like Raunchy Rob is back. And, yes, there is a CD that is currently being produced for said act.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

OctoMan
PostPosted: Dec 26 2005 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, man, totally.

There's a few reasons. One is that communication is just harder - you can't pick-up non-verbal cues like body language - and this makes people more prone to misunderstand you. It can be especially bad if someone is shy or antisocial or just has a weird personality and, because of that, has a predisposition to see hostility where none was intended.

Then there are the people who go to internet forums because they have some sort of desire to act like bullies (or be otherwise disagreeable) but don't have the balls to do it in real life. There are lots of these people on forums.

If someone's acting like an asshole on the internet, I just ignore them. After all, unlike real life, it's not like you can actually do anything about it (something that sometimes frustrates me to no end). Also (and unfortunately), if someone is being rude on a forum I sometimes get really worked up about it - way , way more than I should. It's one of the reasons I try to spend less time on forums than I might.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 28 2005 06:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it can be hard to get people to pick your intended meaning. I usually try to use italics or asterisks to stress certain words to indicate when I'm being sarcastic. For example:

Sincere: That's a great idea.
Sarcastic: That's a great idea.

I had always thought that was standard form, but since more than half the people on the internet can't be bothered to even attempt to spell words like "actually" or figure out the difference between "accept" and "except", they don't always get it. So sometimes I'll just say something incredibly ridiculous and play it straight. Of course, having read my stuff, you guys have probably picked up on that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
OctoMan
PostPosted: Dec 28 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I had always thought that was standard form

It is.
Reply to topic

Jump to: