SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What are some good metal bands these days?

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Aug 22 2005 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was listening to ...And Justice For All today, and I realized it's 20 years old. So? Anyone know of any good metal bands these days? And I mean real metal, not 'nu-metal' or whatever you call it.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Aug 22 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know music. Really, I don't. I'd say Nightwish is a metal band. Though their use of orchestra and opera might make it a next generation metal band.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 22 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Metallica has kinda gone downhill in recent years, but there are plenty of other older bands like Dream Theater, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth that are still touring and putting out albums that don't suck.

But if you're looking for newer bands that play real metal, European bands are your best bet. There are plenty of bands like Dream Evil and Primal Fear that are out there playing real metal. There's also Rammstein. I don't know if they're technically "real" metal, but they're a hell of a lot better than the nu-metal bands. HIM is pretty popular these days, but I haven't really heard enough of their stuff to render any sort of judgment on them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Aug 25 2005 03:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

(heh. something tells me that im going to become some kind of resident expert on music here.)

Metal,metal,metal. dying,as it is,but there are still a few kick-your-fucking-teeth-in bands around. Opeth,who can pull off a 20 minute song without sweating a drop,are one of the best metal bands as it is. they incorperate loud acoustic guitars into their songs. its quite a treat.

a local band around my town,called Zefangus,are my favorite. they write songs about rainbow bridges and stormtroopers. check them out if you get a chance- www.zefangus.tk

cradle of filth is another impressive band. gwar,as much of a joke as they are,still rule. Dillinger escape plan,who are the most hardcore metal band ive ever seen,will blow your mind. this year,at warped tour,the lead singer was grabbing people out of the crowd,making them sing and beating the shit out of them. then,he tore down a bunch of amps and stage equipment and threw a cymbol at a stage hand. hard-fucking-core,bitch.

(for the record,all i do all day is make/listen to music. Funfact: my digital library contains over 8,700 songs, from 400+ bands. a total of 170 downloaded entire albums,and 50 complete discographys including eps. as for physical,over 540 cds,and thats only counting signed bands. all the local bands i see at the resident venue,the ford plant,i buy the cds. plus,i have so many vinals it will knock your balls through your intestines to burn in your stomach acid.)

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 05:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know many metal bands, but GWAR is a good one even though most of you probably know who they are.

edit: Damn, I've broken my own rule of "Don't post in old threads."

Sorry 'bout that. I'll be more careful next time.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:

Sorry 'bout that. I'll be more careful next time.

Not a big deal. If I didn't want people posting in an old threads, I'd lock them or turn auto-pruning on. But bumping an old thread just for the sake of bumping it is a definite faux pas.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 06:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, it's just more of a bigger deal in my other forum because we have about 15 pages of threads so far in our music section that the owner doesn't want to get rid of. But I suppose it is better than just making a whole new topic about how Marilyn Manson is so great (we get a lot of 13 year old goth kids).

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
we get a lot of 13 year old goth kids).

Dear God... NO!!!!! Shocked

I'm sorry Sad

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Darklire
PostPosted: Oct 14 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, it's ok. The ones who stay catch on well enough in a small span of time. The worse one is this 12 year old who wont stop preaching to us about how sex is stupid and anyone who has sex before they're married should not be respected. And women who have abortions shouldn't even be looked at. He also wants to make a temple where anyone (he said ANYONE) can worship, but when asked if Satanists could worship there he said they would be allowed but he would not welcome them.

So yah, we get a fair share of idiocy, but I do my best to try and piss them off enough to where they will leave. It's funny how annoyed young teenagers can get on the internet.

Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 15 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
It's funny how annoyed young teenagers can get on the internet.

Quite. Cool

Sounds like you're doing your part keeping the internet a clean and safe environment. If only the IMDB had more people like you.

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Oct 15 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

i thin out the herd at the local indie venue. i hear all the little goth girls who only look upset in pictures talk about how misunderstood they are,and how they hate everybody. thats about the time i tear them a new asshole verbally.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:

As the thread starter, my only comment is this: I don't see a problem with bumping old threads as long as what you're saying is relevant and hasn't already been said.
Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tuckster wrote:
I was listening to ...And Justice For All today, and I realized it's 20 years old. So? Anyone know of any good metal bands these days? And I mean real metal, not 'nu-metal' or whatever you call it.
Well, if you like Older Metallica, then you are probably more of a Speed and Thrash Metal fan. But I will go ahead and list you some bands from various different Metal genres.

Thrash/Speed: Kreator, Sodom, Overkill, Megadeth, Death Angel, Testament, Anthrax, Destruction, Sepultura, Darkane, Hypocrisy and Dark Angel.

Black Metal: Emperor, Immortal, Marduk, Old Man's Child, Ancient, Dimmu Borgir, Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh, Enslaved, Thyrfing, Bathory, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, and Sigh.

Death Metal: Nile, Behemoth, Morbid Angel Immolation, Suffocation, Death, Possessed, Decapitated, Deicide, Zyklon, Belphegor, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, and At the Gates.

Classic/Power Metal: Accept, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Savatage, Children of Bodom, Manticora, Sonata Arctica, and Hammerfall.

Doom/Sludge/Stoner: Black Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Samhain, (old) Anathema, Prong, Crowbar, Kyuss, Cathedral, Bongzilla, Clutch, Orange Goblin, Katatonia, and Electric Wizard.

Progressive: Opeth, Steve Vai, Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, King's X, Symphony X, and Devin Townsend.

Industrial: KMFDM, Ministry, The Kovenant, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory(the two latter bands play similar DM Industrial styles), and Newer Mortiis.

Gothic: Beseech, Type O Negative, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, and Theatre of Tragedy.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I must mention that as a fan of complexity, classification, and music, I did not know that there were so many derivatives of metal. I feel partially ashamed, but then again I don't like most modern music, so I'm not up with such categories. I generally prefer old-timey goodness.

RIP Hacker.

Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
I must mention that as a fan of complexity, classification, and music, I did not know that there were so many derivatives of metal. I feel partially ashamed, but then again I don't like most modern music, so I'm not up with such categories. I generally prefer old-timey goodness.
Understandable, I listed every major genre of Metal, without going into the subgenres, so there is even more to it, but the bands from subgenres I just went ahead and put in the lists anyways. I could list all genres and subgenres, but I highly doubt anyone would care.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
true_bacon22
Title: Beerboy(inquire 4 more)
PostPosted: Dec 25 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bands that dont use cookie monster vocals(ie good metal)
killswitch engage
trivium
mastadoon
thats all i can think of pretty sad.....

origanaly posted by crazy nick man-"If by "kiss" you mean "drag into a closet and rape" then I had my first "kiss" when I was 7...
>.>"

albrowne
Title: Prince of Persia
PostPosted: Dec 30 2006 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Metal isn't really a genre I'm very into, but for the record, here are some metal bands I've enjoyed records by recently:

Opeth, Mastodon, Sleep, Strapping Young Lad, Death, Dissection, Kyuss, Nile, Fear Factory, Pantera

Killswitch Engage has some Maiden-esque moments, such as the chorus of A Bid Farewell, check that out if you're into Iron Maiden.

But yeah, I'm not too into metal.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Dec 30 2006 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that System of a Down counts as metal, but I do like their stuff.

Xavier13
PostPosted: Dec 31 2006 01:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kutulu wrote:
Tuckster wrote:
Well, if you like Older Metallica, then you are probably more of a Speed and Thrash Metal fan. But I will go ahead and list you some bands from various different Metal genres.

Thrash/Speed: Kreator, Sodom, Overkill, Megadeth, Death Angel, Testament, Anthrax, Destruction, Sepultura, Darkane, Hypocrisy and Dark Angel.

Black Metal: Emperor, Immortal, Marduk, Old Man's Child, Ancient, Dimmu Borgir, Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh, Enslaved, Thyrfing, Bathory, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, and Sigh.

Death Metal: Nile, Behemoth, Morbid Angel Immolation, Suffocation, Death, Possessed, Decapitated, Deicide, Zyklon, Belphegor, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, and At the Gates.

Classic/Power Metal: Accept, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Savatage, Children of Bodom, Manticora, Sonata Arctica, and Hammerfall.

Doom/Sludge/Stoner: Black Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Samhain, (old) Anathema, Prong, Crowbar, Kyuss, Cathedral, Bongzilla, Clutch, Orange Goblin, Katatonia, and Electric Wizard.

Progressive: Opeth, Steve Vai, Liquid Tension Experiment, Dream Theater, King's X, Symphony X, and Devin Townsend.

Industrial: KMFDM, Ministry, The Kovenant, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory(the two latter bands play similar DM Industrial styles), and Newer Mortiis.

Gothic: Beseech, Type O Negative, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, and Theatre of Tragedy.

This man speaks the truth. But if you like Metallica but can't tolerate harsh vocals, than you will probably like Power Metal. Some other thrash, perhaps. It depends on what older metal you like. Tell me some other metal bands and I could give you more information.

BLIND GUARDIAN

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 31 2006 06:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't read a singel post in this thread.

I've been on an iced earth, symphony X, demons & wizards, blind guardian, dragonforce, kick lately.

oh, i recommend in flames too.

albrowne
PostPosted: Dec 31 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
I don't think that System of a Down counts as metal, but I do like their stuff.

Yeah, definitely check out their Toxicity album if you've not heard them.

friendmachine
PostPosted: Jan 18 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tuckster wrote:

First, you need to specify what sub genre. So you want something like metallica. I would recommend Sepultura as I consider them a more established peer with generally better musicianship. Anything before Roots.

Slayer? Kinda thrashy/death not death metal vocals catchy riffs and what not. Reign In Blood.

I actually don't listen to that much thrash but I would recommend these bands.
Nuclear Assault- survive, the plague/game over, two eps on on record.
Overkill- horoscope
Wow I really don't listen to that much thrash.

Ok some stuff I'm listening to or would recommend to anyone that says the "like metal".
Atheist- Old school Prog/tech thrash whatever you wanna call it.
Ghoul- Excellent thrash one of my current favorite albums. featuring members of impaled/dystopia
Big Business- Not really metal, just a drummer and bassist. Murder city devis/karp.
Hella- Hold your horse is- Duet guitarist/drummer. IMO once of the best/unique sounding drummers I've heard in a while.

Of course the obligatory death metal, grind whatever, because without you really don't listen to metal

Ultra Vomit- not serious guys from france.
Autopsy- Goods stuff. See also Death.
Storm Troopers of Death- enough said.
Brutal Truth- whole discog
Kill the Client- Wage Slave
Dim Mak- whole discog

I'm obviously really bored.
albrowne
PostPosted: Jan 19 2007 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yes, I'd definitely second Hella.

friendmachine
PostPosted: Jan 19 2007 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

albrowne wrote:
Oh yes, I'd definitely second Hella.

Only Hold your horse is. Which I believe is their first lp. I saw them when they played with Dillenger Escape Plan and WOW they sucked, they had a bassit and keyboarder or something. They played ONE 20 second part form one of the songs on Hold Your Horse Is. I was pissed. They played all their new shit which is beyond shitty/annoying, to the realm of fuck you.

Bottom line, Hold Your Horse Is is the only album you need from them.
albrowne
PostPosted: Jan 19 2007 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah well... That's the only album I've heard from them.

Reply to topic

Jump to: