"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Dark Souls 2

Reply to topic
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Oct 12 2014 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So i recently borrowed the game from my brother because i really liked the first Dark Souls game. I played like 5-7 hours into it and i have to say it is pretty solid, even if it is far more easier than the first one. There are bosses i can beat on the first try, WHAT?! Right now I am at this stage were everything will poison you, forgot the name actually but i am looking forward to whats coming up next.

Anyone else played this little game? And if so, what do you think of it.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Oct 18 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just started playing it again after putting 20 or 30 hours into it months ago. I never played them before, so it was a rough adjustment.

I have managed to beat one boss on the first try, but it's less the boss mechanics than combat knowledge. I'm enjoying it. The Pursuer was still a bitch though.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Oct 19 2014 07:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I fougth the Pursuer pretty late, so i was seriously overleveled and just breezed through the fight.

The worst boss in my oppinion is The Rotten, as far as i can say now. And the Smolter Demon, on wich i'am stuck right now because he just does tons of unblockable fire damage. I'am pretty much just farming titanite at this point to get a stronger armor/weapon.

it was the best of times

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 09 2014 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I beat it the week it came out. It was definitely way easier than Dark Souls.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with Smelter (including me). I think I ended up summoning NPC and another player, I played a sorcerer so it was basically rolling around.

I can't really think of any other difficult parts. I've yet to start the DLC.

The last boss was a joke. I just stood at the other side of the arena and spammed Soul Arrow. Don't think she even hit me.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Dec 12 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely not as hard as the first one, but a lot of that comes from fixing the mechanics in ways that don't screw you as much (like being able to warp from any bonfire you've visited immediately, Ring off life protection being repairable, etc.)

I really like how the story frequently hints at Dranglec being built upon the long gone ruins of Lordran, but you need to be super observant to notice. For example, did you guys notice the smashed Lord Vessel in the basement of the mansion in Majula?

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 09:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I actually just started playing the original Dark Souls, and I'm loving it so far. I've just gotten to Blighttown, can't wait to see what happens later.

I have a question regarding lore, though. Is it well developed or is it very fragmentary? I like it when stuff has a complete backstory, but I guess what my friend has been telling me is that you learn about stuff in the game by reading item descriptions and not much else, so there are a lot of gaps where we just don't know about stuff.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the hardest thing about Dark Souls is you have to hunt for the story and pay attention to everything. The first one isn't as bad since the opening movie tells you about Gwyn and the others and Kingseeker Frampt (you may not have gotten to him yet) sets up the general premise and your part in it, but you still need to put a lot of the lesser aspects together from scattered info. Like the history of Anor Londo or what happened to New Londo. On the other hand, it's sort of more realistic that way; the decline of Lordran is implied to have happened a long time ago so that most NPCs you find there don't know anymore than you do, enemies (even those with direct story relevance) aren't inclined to spout exposition before attacking and even NPCs who do know the true history of the land aren't being totally honest with you.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was under the impression that the exact opposite was true from all the memes I kept seeing about it.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That the story isn't obscure or that finding out about it is the hardest part?

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Both. I played it and had no idea what was going on because I was focusing more on figuring out how the game works as opposed to going out of my way to learn what the story was. I'm used to at least the important parts being spoon-fed to me and it didn't even do that for me.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, by far the biggest obstacle to learning more about in-game lore is not how scattered the information is, but how difficult the gameplay is. I would be focusing more on story and background info if I didn't have to watch my back and literally struggle for survival in new areas.

But, I think that's a good thing. I'm probably going to play through this game a second time as a magic user just to give it a go, I'll probably be able to focus on story better then.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually did care a lot about the DS1 and 2 storyline and i can tell you that the story is very very complicated.
70% of the DS lore exsists mostly in theory.
The core storyline that starts at DS1 and continues in DS2 is somewhat based on solid information but also just too a certain degree. Everything that strays from the core of the story is mostly theorys that center around a few facts that the gamers could find inside the game.

The mysterious quality of the whole games story is something that adds something to the experience of Dark Souls. Look up "Dark Souls Lore" at youtube if you want to know more about it. There are entire channels that only deal with the complicated DS lore.

it was the best of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: