"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Thoughts on Retrogaming/Collecting in 2014

Reply to topic
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I am just going through a funk but as I get older and older the appeal of the NES or Sega Genesis era just seem to be totally like turning into "blah" to me. I watch stuff on Youtube about video games from the 1990's and it just seems like I am having a nostalgia overdose on these reviewers saying what has been said a million times already. I do believe Youtube helped spark positive and creative nostalgia for this era of gaming yet I feel like I need to step away from the table for a while or something.

I use to get highly annoyed at people who grew up and acted like video games were kids toys but I look at the consoles I have and I am like am I ever going to enjoy this system like I did in 2005, 1995? Will I miss out on modern gaming just to play a game again I beat 50 times 20 years ago? Do I need to downsize and let these old electronics taking up space in my house and mind go?

Problem for me personally is that I can't let go pieces of gaming history and I have gigantic systems like the original XBox taking space in my living room for emulation purposes which I have modded for NES/Genesis emulation along with peripherals,accessories,demos,etc. and I just don't want to give it to Goodwill and it just get broken or mishandled after all the time I put into that system. I dont want it in my parents attic either collecting dust and me just randomly thinking about it that it needs to be used somehow by someone who will really enjoy it because of how special video games have been in my life. I feel they are beyond action figures that can just go in a closet. Am I evolving or being OCD?

I feel like I just need a Wii and just my PC at this point in my life and let some of the past go. It just feels awkward to be so attached to objects that have no real bearing on my present life.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 07:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like I've played everything I'll ever want to play on classic consoles. I have no desire to keep collecting and in fact am selling off what remains of my collection. As long as I have a PC and a Nintendo console, I can really play all I'll ever want to play when it comes to new stuff.

No it's not a "I grew out of it" thing (though to be fair, maybe it is) it's more of a "I'll kill myself if I play through *insert classic RPG* ever again". I'm just tired of 95% of it.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's all about the balance, I guess. I'm younger than some of the folks here and missed out on the NES era, but I typically keep a mix of Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, and retro console games going.

There are some games I would definitely like to replay, but I try to avoid too much of it.
GeorgeTaylor
PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I feel like I've played everything I'll ever want to play on classic consoles. I have no desire to keep collecting and in fact am selling off what remains of my collection. As long as I have a PC and a Nintendo console, I can really play all I'll ever want to play when it comes to new stuff.

No it's not a "I grew out of it" thing (though to be fair, maybe it is) it's more of a "I'll kill myself if I play through *insert classic RPG* ever again". I'm just tired of 95% of it.

Glad I am not alone, your sentiments are pretty much mine.

Quote:

It's all about the balance, I guess. I'm younger than some of the folks here and missed out on the NES era, but I typically keep a mix of Xbox 360, Nintendo 3DS, and retro console games going.

There are some games I would definitely like to replay, but I try to avoid too much of it.

The balance is the problem really. The stuff I got would be a pain to sell on ebay and me giving it away entails that someone else will just take it from my living room and put it in their attic at home. All the people I know these days play the PC and have a Wii that has been dusty for years Them lugging out an original Xbox and playing it for an extended amount of time would never happen. so I feel it would be wasteful just to unload it on someone who would do absolutely nothing with it.

If anyone here wants it just pm me and pay the shipping and its yours.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jul 08 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I go through seasons. When I was in high school I hardly played any video games at all, but freshman year of college I pulled my SNES back out and wound up getting back into gaming again. Then I had another season of not playing much, but now I've just started getting really back into.

I guess my moral of this story is, don't sell all of your stuff the first time you go two or three months without firing up you SNES or N64 or whatever if you don't need the money. You can be surprised when the itch to play again fires right back up.
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

My solution, as I'm also getting pretty fuckin old is I'll go a few months without playing any video games at all. Then I'll pull out 4 or 5 games and try to go through them and the one that appeals to me the most (at the time) will be the one I play through. Then I'll take a break for a while, till I start missing video games again. I'll probably never sell any of my older games.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still play through games I played a lot during my childhood, though I don't know if they count as "retro" yet. Recently I went back to Monster Rancher 4, which is like 11 years old, and very nostalgic to me, but not really retro I guess.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

Vaporman87
Title: Purveyor of Nostalgia
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's understandable.

Really, you're not going to ever capture that magic of a game when it first made it's impression on you. So I think the ideal experience with a "retro" game would be one that involves your friends/family. Games that allow for multi-player. The nostalgia factor is multiplied many times over when you're experiencing it with people you care about who also have an appreciation for it.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I go through similar motions of wanting to game on emulators. Generally, they're all I have, but I have gone through spurts (up to a year) of not playing anything.

One thing I like about revisiting old games on emulators is the ability to view what's going on in the code and RAM and then just messing with different things, basically like an interactive game genie. That's dangerous too though, as if you power yourself up too much and remove the challenge of the game, you can lose enthusiasm quickly. Of course, you can tweak handicaps for yourself as well.

RIP Hacker.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that pisses me off about retrogaming in 2014 is how much more expensive it's gotten compared to ten years ago. I remember around 2004, 2005, I used to be able to pick up SNES carts game stores around town for a couple bucks. Even good ones. I bought Super Castlevania IV for six bucks. Then GameStop ran all of the sweet gaming stores out of town, and the handful of dedicated retro stores I've been in have had stupidly inflated prices, well-beyond what I could get online. Now your only chance to find an awesome deal is hoping to get lucky at a flea market.
M3GA MAN
Title: The Big A
PostPosted: Jul 09 2014 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I missed out on anything that is considered super retro, because I grew up in the GameBoy Color/Playstation 1 era, but at the same time that stuff is retro to me. I find that the older I get, the less I feel like I need to really play games at all any more, besides as a short hour long pass time a few times a week. I just lost the appeal I guess, but I am finding that my interest in classic games for me is slowly renewing as it's simple and it reminds me of a simpler time I suppose compared to constant shifting in my life.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 10 2014 06:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
One thing that pisses me off about retrogaming in 2014 is how much more expensive it's gotten compared to ten years ago.

Tell me about it. In 2001, you could get a CIB Virtual Boy for like $20 on eBay. I thought about doing so, but then I was LOL VIRTUAL BOY SUCKS and I didn't.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jul 10 2014 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just checked out Virtual Boys. Holy crap, I had no idea those suckers had gotten so expensive. My cousin used to have one, and I remember playing it constantly with him one Christmas break. If memory serves, we mostly played Vertical Force. I think he sold it for ten dollars in high school.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 10 2014 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to be a huge stickler when it comes to physically playing games vs. using emulators, but it's gotten to the point where older games are so expensive that playing them on anything other than an emulator isn't financially feasible.

But yeah, I know the feeling. I used to be heavily into seeking out cool, obscure retro games, but as I'm getting older I'm becoming less and less enthusiastic about it, due in no small part to the feelings that 1. Having to earn my own money now makes me less inclined to spend it on things that aren't essential, and 2. I feel like I pretty much have everything I could ever want in terms of games.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jul 10 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
... due in no small part to the feelings that 1. Having to earn my own money now makes me less inclined to spend it on things that aren't essential, and 2. I feel like I pretty much have everything I could ever want in terms of games.

Yup. I had an NES with 100 games, an SNES with 40-50 games, a Genesis with ~20 games, and a PlayStation with 10-15 games. During my teenage treks, these were sold off without my knowledge, so since then I've never really had the wherewithal to get it back, especially due to number 2 above.

RIP Hacker.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jul 11 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never get tired of gaming. Perhaps it is because I know that moderation is the key. If you go into something too much, for too long, it is only natural for it to wear you out over time and lose what makes it special. Anything done in excess becomes a chore. If you become bored, it is because of lack of discipline. Some people would argue that time moves fast, and that you should do as much as you can, while you can, before your moment in the sun is up. Nonsense. Take your time, enjoy things fully. Experience the subtleties that life, the universe and its multitude of vastly differing experiences offers. There will be more than enough for you to ever experience, so take your time, choose wisely, and don't let modern society make you take things too seriously, because all of this is just one big game anyways.

Also, I always keep at least one original XBOX and a Duke controller around to use as weapons if anyone were to ever break into my house. Those beasts are weighty and lethal if used to full effect

GeorgeTaylor
PostPosted: Jul 11 2014 02:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:

Also, I always keep at least one original XBOX and a Duke controller around to use as weapons if anyone were to ever break into my house. Those beasts are weighty and lethal if used to full effect

LOL

I guess I blame Youtube for causing my retro gaming obsession to continue on longer than it should have. In my head I had such a huge backlog of games that for some reason I needed to play again. These reviewers with their slick editing and retro midi files playing in the background made me putty in their hands. I guess it started as harmless fun down retro lane with AVGN and now have morphed into something much worse where I feel like if I own these system I have to play them even though I have no desire anymore despite what some Youtuber says in them being gems THAT YOU MUST PLAY AND LOVE DAMMIT.

While I have will always have found memories of the NES/Genesis just like anyone else from that generation on this board it has gotten to the point where I am starting to notice the technological deficiencies more and more. After playing something like Fallout 3/Oblivion and then trying to go back to a 16 bit RPG someone recommended seems like a tedious choice in itself these days. I know Syd loved Crystalis but can his same love for it endure 20 plus years at the same level of enthusiam?

I am a married 31 year old man and I just want to play modern PC games now and take a break from the retro scene. I talked to my wife about this and she has been supportive on letting me let stuff go at my own pace. I am now at the end of that cycle luckily.

Anyways there is a member who wants this stuff and I hope he can enjoy it in its right context as I myself cannot anymore.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I bought a Super Everdrive this year. That's something.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last summer I bought a used Sega Genesis during a sale at Half-Price Books, then went around buying copies of all my old favorite sports games for it like Mutant League Hockey. Played it a bunch for a month, then real life got in the way. Have been trying to find the time lately, but adult responsibility can suck.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is kind of interesting for me. People always say that gaming is something that you just "grow out of". At age 25 I really don't see that as a thing. Gaming seems to have this view that it is something which is juvenile and that is frowned upon as an adult, yet a lot of games which are popular on modern consoles are aimed at adults so I don't really see any justification there.

Personally for me. I started buying retro stuff about probably 5 years ago. Partly influenced by this website. My first games console was a SNES, until I came to this site I didn't even know what a NES was. So that was something that I had to have because I hadn't played all these classic games you talk about - I mean I knew what SMB and SMB2 and 3 etc. cause I'd played All Stars but it never twigged to me as a kid where these games had come from. Then it came to systems that I just didn't own as a kid. So I bought a Mega Drive, my friend had one so I knew the games and I was like wow need to get that. Then N64 which was never a huge interest for me (and really still isn't hugely). So then I really had a lot of the major consoles, cause I had a PS2 and formerly PS1, a PS3, xbox was never much of an interest, my sister had a gamecube. So I was set.

My SNES was in storage for a long time, and in fact I forgot I even owned it and I essentially rediscovered it. It wasn't till I went to University that it returned to somewhere where I could use it. So that was a factor as well.

So now it becomes a whole other level to you guys being mostly Americans.
Then the popularity of speedgaming has came into it and I started to get into that. But the problem with speedgaming and being a European is that the games run slower (17%) so then it was the case of well If I want to be competitive I need to play American or Japanese.

So then it became the case of basically rebuying all the consoles I owned as American or Japanese. So for example: I own a NTSC-U SNES, I also own a Super Famicom, so that means I currently own a UK Super Mario World, USA Super Mario World and a Japanese Super Mario World. In fact a lot of the games I owned as a kid I now own at least doubles of them.

So a part of this was a quest to play games I didn't own, the other was for speedgaming.

However I wouldn't say what I have is a "collection" nor am I interesting in "collecting" games because it would get ridiculous. For example I've seen people who collect solely PAL games. But why? In my eyes they are the inferior format, the format which aren't the true ways the games were designed to be played. So do you collect only American? Do you collect all versions of the same game? Where does this end?

I own games that I like or want to play or games I have doubles of as speed games.

Doing this allows you to get into untapped markets as well. I own a lot of Japanese exclusive "SNES" games which I intend to make a post about at some point. I was thinking about the Top 100 lists and how JP is omitted from that. Also games can be cheaper. I got my copies of Super Metroid for probably a third of the price for what I would pay for an American copy and the funny thing is that English is a selectable language for it - ha-ha - it being of course an example of a game that I never owned.

I would also probably say that I have more PS3 games than games for any other system. Mostly because it's the first current system which I have the money to support my spending on it. Not like being a kid where your parents bought all your games for you.

I just got up and looked at my "collection". I have a NTSC-U N64 and I have 7 games for it, with no intention of buying anymore. I wouldn't really call that much of a collection. So I'd agree with what has been said. It's really got to the stage were I have most of the games I want and I don't want anymore (unless speed things come up of interest). The only possible exception would be games not in our market aka Japanese.

Also more problematic for me would be buying games which are not easily sourced from here. A game that I want but I dunno if I would ever get is Earthbound. I'd probably have to import it to great expense.

It's way easier generally to get old games like SNES/NES/Genesis/N64 than some other systems like PS1 and PS2. Importing is pretty expensive. I bought my US SNES from the United States. I got my US PS2 from the USA. I got my NES from the US. The others I was really fortunate to be able to buy here but I've had to buy some SFC games from Japan.

It's definitely a huge money sink and collecting is just not something which is feasible nor something that I am interested in thankfully.

The other thing is I don't think i'd ever sell this all off because I imagine it would probably be to a loss. I don't intend to be one of those people who have a room dedicated to video games. The 4 small shelves I have at the moment are fine.

tl;dr I buy the games that I like, collecting is a huge money sink and how you define a collection is problematic, hand your papers in on this essay by Monday.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 09:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Game compliations are making me even less excited about retro collecting. My dad got me Sonic's Ultimate Sega Collection on 360, which has almost every Genesis game I could ever want (excluding a few like Mortal Kombat, Super Street Fighter 2, Gauntlet IV, Light Crusader, etc.). I've been considering selling all of the Sega games I own that're in the collection, solely because I see very little advantage to playing the original cartridge over playing it on the disc (other than the fact that the music in the cartridges is slightly louder).

I dunno, with newer games I can understand collecting as I can't play them on my laptop, but my interest in playing older games on their native console as opposed to just playing them on an emulator has waned dramatically in the past few months alone.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Dec 29 2014 09:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been collecting a lot of games as of recent. Turns out I might have an unhealthy obsession with games. That's fine with me, I went school to design games and ended up working in the defense industry instead. I still design games in a way but it is the opposite of the fun kind.

I have special affinity for the Tales series for some reason and I have to buy both the normal version of each game leave the limited edition unopened. Also have new in box versions of Lunar eternal Blue, Growlancer and my most recent purchases of the best fighting game to come out since street fighter IV; Guilty Gear Xrd limited edition and one of my favorites Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition (which is going for a good amount on ebay at the moment) and which is quite hard to come by. The Retro City Rampage Dx PS4 (a recent release of which is one of two thousand made will being going up in price) is hiding a CIB Metriod Prime Trilogy Wii and A new Xenoblade Chronicles, a game nobody paid attention to but really should have! Also love my Cathrine and Kingdom Hearts, the first LE goes for a lot of money hopefully the same will happen with this one. Plus it has a stuffed animal!

http://imgur.com/dETMYHY

Secondly I have been bying a bunch of CIB NES/SNES games. Most of them are just my favorite games growing up. Had to buy that Destiny Ghost Edition just because I sort of like that broken ass game for some reason.

http://imgur.com/JjKLBPc

Ninja turtles, Astro Boy and the terribly rare Cross Edge x2., and of coarse the Batmans.

http://imgur.com/V7b42J0

Then there is my Castlevanias, my favorite series ever. Along with Double Dragon II CIB with the awesome poster and Ninja Gaiden.

http://imgur.com/uCuEZre

I am embarrassed because this is my living room. Castlevania posters framed...

My house is filled with all this shit and then four more shelves full of shit like this.

My poor girlfriend has one shelve to put her stuffed animals on pictured in the first photo.

So yeah. This does not include my Ys limiteds, my UCIB games, just games, DVD/Blue Rays, systems I can't even plug in anymore do to a fire hazard and all that other shit I collect.

Edit: two of my crown jewels are on the way. CIB Earthbond and CIB Hagane. Also, if you have anything to sell send me a PM. I am looking next to Sega Saturn and Neo-Geo games, I really need a Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes and any Neo Geo. After The Hagane purchase I can't really afford a Panzar Dragon Saga but let me know.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 29 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Last summer I bought a used Sega Genesis during a sale at Half-Price Books, then went around buying copies of all my old favorite sports games for it like Mutant League Hockey. Played it a bunch for a month, then real life got in the way. Have been trying to find the time lately, but adult responsibility can suck.

This is my current approach. I dedicate every other Saturday morning and early afternoon to gaming. On a twice-monthly gaming Saturday, I get up early and buy a whole bunch of donuts and then play something single player (RPG, adventure game, whatever) that I want to play all the way through. At some point after ten, friends come over and we eat the whole bunch of donuts and play something multiplayer. After a couple hours of that, we engage in twice-monthly Dungeons and Dragons session.

It is frequent enough that I get my gaming urges regularly satisfied, and infrequent enough that I don't feel a slave to the schedule, and it combines the pleasures of gaming solitude and gaming socially, and the pleasures of video gaming and pen and paper. It is a very good approach. Granted, I am single. Had I a wife and/or children, I'm not sure I could pull it off every other Saturday.
Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 29 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Back in 2005, I bought a Sega Saturn, a Dreamcast AND an old Genesis, all with a bunch of games & controllers and played the shit outta all of it. I have since moved out of the USA and don't have any of that shit anymore... Sad Fuck! Now I'm all sad and shit.... Missing my old apt with all my cool retro gaming stuff. Awww...
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why did you move out of the U.S. Akula?
Reply to topic

Jump to: