Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 08 2005 06:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's what you'll need:

a Nintendo Gamecube
a DDR pad
a GBA Player
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Brothers

Unlike the old NES Power Pad, the spots on the DDR pad actually correspond to buttons on the system controller. You have A, B, Start, Z and four directionals. If you get the Mad Catz pad instead of the Konami one, you also get X and Y on your pad.

In any case, you have more than enough buttons to play classic NES games using the dance pad. But since the 'cube isn't backwards compatible, your only option is to hook-up a GBA player and try your hand the Classic NES Series for the GBA. I tried SMB, and let me tell ya, it's hard. Damn hard.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 08 2005 07:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, If I wanted to play video games with my feet, I'd destroy my hands and sned my story in to nintendo power. Oh wait, that was already done. Even so, I have no desire to go near a DDR pad now that my hot friend who owned the game has moved away. Those were some good times playing (watching) DDR. Good times.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 09 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always wanted to try to play PS2 games with the DDR, but it would never work because of the lack of buttonry. I have the Sonic Mega Collection and I realized that that didn't need so many buttons, but then I realized when I tried it that it wouldn't go because of the dearth of analog support. I can probably do it with some of my PS1 games, but most of them need all the buttons. I could do it with FF Chronicles, but that's not a challenge nearly as much as monotonous standing. If I could get some action game collection for the PS, like a classic arcade collection, then it would actually be plausible. Unfortunately, my DDR pads have both died and I need to get new ones.

Anyway, it sounds like it works on the Gamecube with a player and that's awesome. If only I had a dance pad for it. v_v

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 09 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tried Soul Calibur 2 with the Mad Catz pad and it was absolutely hilarious. It's too bad the Konami one has less buttons, because a Soul Calibur Dance Off would be great. It's also too bad that they never released a Tekken game on the 'cube because then I could play Eddy Gordo the way that he was intended to be played.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 09 2005 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not that you'd be able to move any but you can use the Donkey Konga Bongo Drums to play normal games as well:

Left Bongo Top - Y
Left Bongo Bottom - B
Right Bongo Top - X
Right Bongo Bottom - A
Clap - R
START/PAUSE - START/PAUSE

By "top"and 'bottom" there are apparently two different "receptors" underneath the drumhead.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Nov 13 2005 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tried that with Doom Custom Playstation Edition once. I made it to E1M6 on ITYTD and then gave up. I also tried SMB with an emulator but that got old fast.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 14 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

You forgot to mention that we played Soul Calibur II as well using the Mad Catz pad. Sure I had a huge life handicap, but I did dance my way to victory at least once. Ironically, with a fighting game the part that I found hardest was that the a,b,x,and y buttons weren't setup like on the controller, so I had trouble remembering how to do moves.

Let me tell you all, having to jump in the air and time the land so that you can hit a diagonal (aka 2 directions since there is no diagonal) and 2 buttons must be pretty goofy looking. Maybe I should set up a mirror next time we try this.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 14 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
You forgot to mention that we played Soul Calibur II as well using the Mad Catz pad.

Actually, I didn't, and if you had bothered to read the whole thread instead of just the initial post, you might have realized this. Between this and Jackie Chan, you're 0 for 2. Please stop trying to correct me, you're embarrassing yourself.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 16 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had read the whole thread without posting it before, then when I read a second time I only read your initial post and didn't see it, so I forgot it was in the second post. My mistake.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 07 2006 04:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have also had the joy of playing SCII with DDR pads, except on X Box. My roomate picked mitsurugi and I palyed as astaroth, which led to him easily poking me in the face everytime I treid to do somethign realyl complicated.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack after doign this.

also, I once played street fighter 2 online with a DDR pad (anniversary collection is XBL compatable.) my goal was jsut to pull off a damn fireball on the pad. took me hours.

RegalSin
PostPosted: Jun 15 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I can use a PS2 DDR pad on the GCN and play all games with the USE of the DDR floor controller since it will corespond with me GCN buttons?

OMGsh!!!!????? now there is a reason to own a DDR floor mat
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 15 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You need the GCN DDR mat....
RegalSin
PostPosted: Jun 16 2006 01:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whats the diffrence ?

What about the PSX DDR mat or PSX DDR big board and bar?
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 16 2006 05:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the difference is the fact that GC and PS2 controller ports are shaped ENTIRELY different.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jun 18 2006 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
I believe the difference is the fact that GC and PS2 controller ports are shaped ENTIRELY different.

NONSENSE!

Reply to topic

Jump to: