0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

Vert1
PostPosted: Aug 28 2013 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

October 29, 1991

I would say that after Ice Cube released Death Certificate rap history came to its highest point and its end. No other artist has a huge rap beef WITH a radical cultural event (Rodney King beating) to link to. 'No Vaseline' is the hardest real talk rap track ever created. It all went downhill after that.

Now I know you all will cry out that Nas vs Jay-Z. Nas is amazing but he doesn't have the powerful historical event to go alongside his victory over 'Gay-Z'. It was a simple victory.

Eminem is great on MMLP (Slim Shady LP was not a big event in rap music due to its mediocrity), BUT Eminem beefed with a bunchof lamers like NSYNC, Limp Biskit, Britney Spears, some other obscure nobody challenge rapper. And no massive historical event (Colombine a few kids die -- it is miniscule) to link to. Em is no great story teller like Cube.

50 Cent - just rapping the word 'nigga' tirelessly with no great message -- simple dance music for women. He's connected to a good story (overcoming poverty, getting shot 9 times, etc.), but he doesn't have a significant cultural event once again to link to.

Do you agree? If not please share your own where did rap music die essay.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 29 2013 01:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

well, do you mean mainstream rap? or just rap in general? mainstream rap died when all these 'studio gangsters' started making platinum albums. 50 cent is one of those studio gangsters. ja rule is another. they are all fucking terrible. p diddy helped kill it w/his shiny suits & his form of 'hip-pop.'

now, underground hip hop is still alive. its still kicking. there are some great non-mainstream rappers out there still throwing it down. just to name a few: mos def, talib kweli, immortal technique, jedi mind tricks, et. al.

so, is radio rap dead? yes, & that crap they play on the radio is bullshit. is rap or hip hop in general still alive? it still lives in the underground.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

abufi
PostPosted: Aug 29 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

it didn't
there has always been great hip-hop and terrible hip-hop and it still is that way
i guess that yes, you could say that a lot of the better current acts are more underground, but i'd say artists like kanye west and kendrick lamar and death grips are very much keeping it alive and driving it forward in progression and innovation

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 03 2013 08:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rap in general. I clearly do not mean it is not produced but that the overall movement is dead. (Like Ice Cube did release another good album The Predator, but like I said it doesn't have any big event to go along with the big message delivered in it.)

I find a lot of conscious rap to be incredibly boring; A subsequent downgrade from Ice Cube to the rest of non-event rappers. History is dead.

Kanye West is a simp sellout. He is a good producer and a mediocre rapper. "Yo Kanye stick to producin'". Kendrick Lamar's best known track is a diss rap which was a non-apology. It was so passive aggressive that I lost all respect for him. How the fuck you gonna shoutout love to a dumb piece of shit embarrassment like A$AP Rocky is beyond me. Rap is represented by non-threatening rappers now -- a complete change from the fight the power origins. Death Grips ("it goes it goes it goes ... guillotine!!!") I would have to listen to their album, but making an entire album good is something very improbable with taday's music. Regardless, they are small-time to the rap movement which was once a historical force.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 03 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert1 wrote:
Death Grips ("it goes it goes it goes ... guillotine!!!") I would have to listen to their album, but making an entire album good is something very improbable with taday's music. Regardless, they are small-time to the rap movement which was once a historical force.

As an owner of two Death Grips albums and having seen them live, I can testify that they're freaking intense. Check out "World of Dogs" and "Hustle Bones" (my two favorite songs by them) if you're interested.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Sep 03 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are a number of amazing rap groups that are still operating out there on the underground. I highly recommend the Coup, or Run the Jewels (a duo made up of rappers El-P and Killer Mike, who are both fantastic and entirely worth checking out on their own merits). Even some more mainstream rap artists, like Lupe Fiasco and Kendrick Lamar, have put out some incredible work in recent years as well. I think your judgement of Lamar is overly harsh, especially since your entire gripe with him seems to revolve around one song. There's a large body of emotive, intelligent work he's done that I feel like you're ignoring with that critique. Hell, as far as that goes, I think Kanye has done some fabulous things with his beats, compositions and artistic vision.

Your biggest problem, it seems, is that you need to dig more. All the artists you bring up in your first post are the most famous of the famous rappers, and your criticisms of others seem to grounded more in their hit work than the more nuanced material on their albums. Judging any genre based on the face value of its most popular artists and their most popular works will make any genre look vapid. It's like your using Blink 182 to judge punk, or Coldplay to define "alternative" music. Shit always rises to the top.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 04 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
now, underground hip hop is still alive. its still kicking. there are some great non-mainstream rappers out there still throwing it down. just to name a few: mos def

Mos Def = non mainstream? lolno

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 04 2013 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
username wrote:
now, underground hip hop is still alive. its still kicking. there are some great non-mainstream rappers out there still throwing it down. just to name a few: mos def

Mos Def = non mainstream? lolno

i havent heard any mos def track on the radio

but then again, i dont listen to the radio often.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 04 2013 03:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
There are a number of amazing rap groups that are still operating out there on the underground. I highly recommend the Coup, or Run the Jewels (a duo made up of rappers El-P and Killer Mike, who are both fantastic and entirely worth checking out on their own merits). Even some more mainstream rap artists, like Lupe Fiasco and Kendrick Lamar, have put out some incredible work in recent years as well. I think your judgement of Lamar is overly harsh, especially since your entire gripe with him seems to revolve around one song. There's a large body of emotive, intelligent work he's done that I feel like you're ignoring with that critique.

Rap is clearly dead when people are dick riding a "diss track" that professes love for the targeted rappers and then hate as if the rapper is upset at his ex. I don't have time to waste on such stupid nonsense. And having a diss track featuring multiple people who were nowhere near as talented as Lamar was retarded.

Quote:
Your biggest problem, it seems, is that you need to dig more. All the artists you bring up in your first post are the most famous of the famous rappers, and your criticisms of others seem to grounded more in their hit work than the more nuanced material on their albums. Judging any genre based on the face value of its most popular artists and their most popular works will make any genre look vapid. It's like your using Blink 182 to judge punk, or Coldplay to define "alternative" music. Shit always rises to the top.

LOL. Maybe I should title this thread 'Recommend me underground rappers' as if I don't follow Memphis rap or anything other than mainstream rap. That isn't the point of this thread. The thread is about when the rap music, as in the founding ideology (the vision) and movement, died. (Just like the declaration of "Art is dead" when modern art killed art.) I am writing it died an honorable death with the release of the Death Certificate album. Shit will always be out there in the underground. That's a given. No one needs to write that.

-----

I already stated good rap, esp. mainstream rap did not disappear as soon as Ice Cube released Death Certificate. Here are some shifts in rap if we are to extend its life period.

Quote:
The Predator was the last great album that Ice Cube ever made, but even as it reached the top of the charts, hip-hop was changing. A month after its release, Dr. Dre (Cube's former N.W.A. colleague) released The Chronic, a monstrous commercial success that refashioned gangsta rap as party music to extraordinarily influential ends. And the following two years would see the release of titles such as Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Ready to Die, and Illmatic that forcefully reclaimed the creative vanguard of rap for New York.

----

So I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a timeline or simple date of when rap died. (Username could you possibly put a year on when the studio gangsters took over?) Because if it didn't die just write that and we can call it a day. No need to list off "rappers who still got it yo!".

Extra extra:

Langx wrote:

Biggie is the most overrated rapper of all time. His greatest gift was simplifying an art. Simplifying it made anyone think they can rap. Without Big, Puffy and Mase would have never made it in this game. Because they had no talent to rap.

Biggies style was easily copied by many rappers till this day. Which just shows how easy he made it. Rick Ross, Jay and Jeezy come to mind.

It fucked the rap game up.

It allows rappers who have no talent just to talk over beats.

The list is long. You can look at almost any southern rapper and see how it has been abused. Big was a genius for using the slow flow but it has destroyed rap.

If you look at the greatest of rap their style could not be copied. That's what makes them and singles our their greatness of the art.

Nas, Kool G, Pac, KRSI, Ice Cube, Snoop, LL, Em, Slick Rick. To groups like EPMD, De La Soul, PE. They are unique. Their styles are harder to copy.

To consider Biggie great with one great album and a mediocre Double CD would be like calling TPain great. Because he made it easy for everyone to be a singer.

Take boxing. There is only one Floyd Mayweather. Everyone can not do what he does. He was born to do it. When you watch Mayweather you know you are watching true gifts. Biggie had a gift. But his gift ruined the game.

Now everyone and their mother thinks they can do it.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Sep 04 2013 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rap isn't dead. Tupac is still alive.
Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 09:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The thread is about when the rap music, as in the founding ideology (the vision) and movement, died. (Just like the declaration of "Art is dead" when modern art killed art.) I am writing it died an honorable death with the release of the Death Certificate album. Shit will always be out there in the underground. That's a given. No one needs to write that.

So, Rap as an artistic movement is dead, except for all the people that are still making amazing artistic statements using it as a medium, but they're underground so fuck them? Got it. Thanks.

See, now this thread makes sense. I thought you were just uninformed about the genre. As it turns out, you're just full of shit. I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 09:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes fuck them. Kanye West can't rap. So whatever artistic vision he produces is compromised by that fact. Stuff people are doing on mixtapes and in their basements aren't a big deal. Nobody extremely talented is rapping with heavy emotional impact (i.e. speaking out against racist bullshit) on a powerful level ("went Platinum and didn't have to sellout") to influence society as Ice Cube did in the rap game today. The movement shifted away from political uprising to party crap to king shit. The times have changed and rap stagnated into the mess it is in today.

This 'rap is dead' is analysis of the big picture. Not the smaller ones.

Let's not make this thread about personal attacking me.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Coup isn't rapping "in somebody's basement". They're an internationally touring act. So is EL-P and Killer Mike. They all do powerful, emotionally compelling music and much of it is centered on issues like racism, domestic surveillance and the moral conundrums of drone strikes. The Coup and El-P in particular are among the most aggressive, intellectual rap since Public Enemy, and you're trivializing the impact their careers are having on the scene just because you haven't heard of them.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert1 wrote:
This 'rap is dead' is analysis of the big picture. Not the smaller ones.

Let's not make this thread about personal attacking me.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not personally attacking you. Just stating a fact. Saying that rap is dead even in the bigger picture because 50 Cent is a fucking idiot is like saying that country is dead because of Taylor Swift. Or the fact that Deafhaven doesn't get played on the radio means that metal is dead. According to your "big picture", every genre is dead because the most obvious, main stream music almost always sucks, and apparently anyone without a top 40 hit is irrelevant to you.

Besides, it's worth noting that its onset, hip hop was not a hitmaking genre. Artists like Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambatta were hugely influential, but not "popular" in the traditional sense. For that matter, even through the 80s the best hip hop was largely underground while the mainstream artists kind of introduced a caricature version of the genre with little of value to say. In that sense, hip hop has sort of returned to its roots.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rap was dead before 50 Cent. Rap does not center around the most popular artist. Most genres of music are considered dead by a lot of devoted fans (i.e. techno, trance, rap, pop, punk, etc.). Many including myself view the rise of the mp3 and software as responsible for killing the quality of the music scene.

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
The Coup isn't rapping "in somebody's basement". They're an internationally touring act. So is EL-P and Killer Mike. They all do lesser powerful, emotionally compelling music and much of it is centered on issues like racism, domestic surveillance and the moral conundrums of drone strikes. The Coup and El-P in particular are among the most aggressive, intellectual rap since superior group Public Enemy, and you're trivializing the impact their careers are having on the scene just because they're small-time.

Made some changes.

Quote:
The evolution of an artform can thus be divided into the following four stages:

1. It is created and taken to its zenith by the men of taste: the experts and connoisseurs.

2. It is led into decline by the masses, a decline that accelerates in proportion to the increasing size of the mass, in accordance with the mechanics of the lowest common denominator.

3. It is taken all the way down to its lowest point, that of absolute wretchedness, by the posers: the absurdly rich and the artfagots (the former of whom become involved only with primitive artforms, the latter in all of them).

4. And it is finally killed off by the scientists and engineers at the same time as they bring into being the tools required for the creation of a higher art, at which point the cycle begins anew.

Rap right now is in an experimental/abstract/parody stage (3rd stage) just like our times. There hasn't been a big innovative take on the genre after G-Funk (invented by Above The Law). Or horror-core. Or Techno Animal's take on rap. Dr Dre. probably will never release Detox because he knows that history now lacks the same weight it did when he was coming up.

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
Artists like Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambatta were hugely influential, but not "popular" in the traditional sense

These artists are very popular. Afrika Bambatta even did a collaboration with James Brown... There is no one today even close to the same league talent-wise to set off and influence a movement like James Brown did with rap. And that is why it is dead.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Rap was dead before 50 Cent. Rap does not center around the most popular artist. Most genres of music are considered dead by a lot of devoted fans (i.e. techno, trance, rap, pop, punk, etc.). Many including myself view the rise of the mp3 and software as responsible for killing the quality of the music scene.

If you honestly believe that the quality of music is declining, you're not listening to enough of it. People have such easy access to new, old and foreign music now thanks to sites like Youtube and services like Spotify and Itunes that it's vastly expanding the influences that new artists are drawing from.

Finally, if you refuse to listen to brilliant artists just because you feel like they're "small time" (a phrase that means absolutely nothing if you look at the history of musical art), then you're not qualified to talk about music any critical sense. So please, stop. You're giving me a headache.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am not refusing to listen to anything (You know what have I listened to, Fighter?). Just writing that those artists are inferior to Ice Cube and Public Enemy and have done nothing new (style-wise, not content rapping-wise) and are a sign of decline in the movement. A sign of death.

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
People have such easy access to new, old and foreign music now thanks to sites like Youtube and services like Spotify and Itunes that it's vastly expanding the influences that new artists are drawing from.

Influenced by people from the "Golden Age" when rap was alive.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That you just said that is all the proof I need to know that you've never listened to The Coup. The way they blend funk, African and electronic influences into their hip hop is nothing short of "something new".

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So they invented a rap-sub genre/style? What is that subgenre/style called?

BTW, I have listened to this band's music before.

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
the history of musical art.

Look up the word pleonasm.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Stop moving the goal post. First you cited popularity as a qualifier for relevance. Then you said they had to be innovative. Now they had to create a whole new sub-genre? The Coup and El-P in particular both sound like nothing else out there, which you'd know if you were as savvy as you claimed to be.

Besides, what did Public Enemy invent? Don't get me wrong, they're my favorite rap group, but they more perfected the genre than innovated it.

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The improvement on rap reached its zenith with Ice Cube's Death Certificate album. The only place to go from there was down or to the side (i.e. different types of style rap experimentations).

Vert1 wrote:
I would say that after Ice Cube released Death Certificate rap history came to its highest point and its end. No other artist has a huge rap beef WITH a radical cultural event (Rodney King beating) to link to. 'No Vaseline' is the hardest real talk rap track ever created. It all went downhill after that.

Read this over.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a reading comprehension problem. What you're saying is just total nonsense. Any time an artist innovates (which the ones I've listed, among many others, have), it improves the genre. If the innovation hasn't ever stopped, how can you say that the genre has reached its zenith?

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 07 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Because innovation does not equal better art.

Because history lacks a strong social catalyst to influence black art (rap).

Reply to topic

Jump to: