SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Biggest Movie Plot Holes

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Discuss plot holes that annoyed you here.

One that may not be a plot hole but just something that annoyed me, in "Independence Day" where Randy Quaid is signing up to fly in the volunteer airforce, and he says that he's really excited about doing it so he can take revenge for being abducted by aliens twenty years previously. At which point, the two recruiters give each other a skeptical look as if to say "Abducted by aliens? Who is this nutjob?"

Then they go back to recruiting people to fight fucking aliens.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get me started on Independence Day. That movie fuckin sucked! How is it that our two heroes crash landed the same craft that killed two aliens back in the fifties when they crash landed it, and then walk away without a scar smoking cigars? Fucking retarded! I hate it when hollywood ruins their entire movie by trying to wrap it up at the end too fast, with a ridiculously happy-stupid ending.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a great popcorn/action movie, just not a very good Sci-Fi movie.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love ID4. But it is ridiculous at times. Most ridiculous plot point in ID4: The alien mothership's computer is Mac compatible.

Only complete losers used Macs in 1996.

Kinda like now.

That last line is a joke. The one before it is a fact.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The giant blackhole in Star Trek 11.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 23 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure Timecop is just one giant plothole. It's a fun movie to be sure, but so many time paradoxes.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can think of a ton, but one that annoys me in one of my favorite films is in The Dark Knight. The opening scene is Joker robbing a bank. The second scene is Batman, at night, taking out a bunch of drug dealers, including the Scarecrow. The third scene is Gordon and Batman investigating the bank vault during the day. It took an entire day for the police force and Batman to check out the vault?

I understand the decision because the action flows much better in the shown sequence, but it always annoyed me that it was clearly out of order.
Syd Lexia wrote:
Pretty sure Timecop is just one giant plothole. It's a fun movie to be sure, but so many time paradoxes.

Yeah, almost every time travel movie has plot holes. The most obvious to me (and one that bothered me even when I watched it in the theater back when I was a kid) is in Back to the Future II. In 2015, old Biff takes a sports almanac to his 1955 self. Based on what we had already seen in the films (such as photos that were taken in the future changing because of meddling in the past), the minute Biff took off in the DeLorean the entire future should have changed instantly because he would have drastically altered the past.

Instead, they travel back to 1985, which has changed because of Biff's time traveling. But 2015 should have changed too!

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, because Biff lost his power back in 1985 when Marty went back to 1955 to burn the almanac and stop an alternate 2015 from happening by first discovering an alternate 1985 ,and seeing how fucked up it was, all before Biff was able to return the deloreon back to 2015 after stealing it. In other words, the past was all changed and then changed back before Biff was able to return to 2015, because by going back to an alternate 1985, Marty and the Doc would never allow an alternate 2015 to ever be reached.

At least I think that's what the writers were trying to pass off on us.

Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's a pretty minor plot hole, but when watching The Last Crusade, I always wondered how a Crusades-era French Knight learned to speak modern English.

Leap of faith, I suppose.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Discuss plot holes that annoyed you here.

One that may not be a plot hole but just something that annoyed me, in "Independence Day" where Randy Quaid is signing up to fly in the volunteer airforce, and he says that he's really excited about doing it so he can take revenge for being abducted by aliens twenty years previously. At which point, the two recruiters give each other a skeptical look as if to say "Abducted by aliens? Who is this nutjob?"

Then they go back to recruiting people to fight fucking aliens.

I never noticed that. Well i guess they are just desprate for pilots. I mean even the president needs to jump in.

it was the best of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

As far as Independence Day goes, what about when the lead scientist at Area 51 states that the scout/fighter ship they had didn't work until the alien mothership arrived at Earth. Based on that, once the Mothership was destroyed the craft Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum were in should have been dead in space.

And the thing that really irritated me about Back to the Future II was the fact that Biff even bothered to return to 2015 in the first place after bringing the almanac back to 1955.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 05:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, why didn't he just keep the deloreon when he went back to 1955 then sell the technology and get rich that way? Why go through the whole gambling scheme? Better yet, why not destroy the deloreon after he gives the almanac to his younger self so that Marty and the Doc can never go back and undo his master plan?

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Yeah, why didn't he just keep the deloreon when he went back to 1955 then sell the technology and get rich that way? Why go through the whole gambling scheme? Better yet, why not destroy the deloreon after he gives the almanac to his younger self so that Marty and the Doc can never go back and undo his master plan?

I guess the only explanation that makes sense is that Biff is kind of a moron.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anything that the Dark Knight Trilogy fans have to explain by saying "Because he's Batman" or "Because he's the Joker". Those are not answers to legitimate questions. There are tons of plot holes, particularly between Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises that always get a pass for no reason at all.

I mean, I love those movies. But you have to have a pretty flexible suspension of disbelief to buy them.

Also, at the risk of beating a dead horse, the big plot twist at the end of 6th Sense makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Okay...so he's already dead. Without his receptionist or a parent talking to him, how does he take on the kid as a client? Didn't he find it strange that the mother never spoke to him at all? Or for that matter, ANYONE? We are lead to believe that this guy is carrying on his life as normal, but that's not possible.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think 6th Sense gets away with it because isn't there some line about people see what they want to believe, or something? So if he believes he's still alive, he'll carry on as normal and see what he wants to. It's like he's tricking himself.

I always rationalized it to myself like this--it's kind of like in a dream, where stuff that happens seems perfectly rational and fitting in your dream but once you wake up you realize how completely fucking crazy the whole thing was. That's how I liken Bruce Willis' experience in 6th Sense. He finally "woke up" and probably suddenly realized that nothing he had been experiencing made any sense...it was all mostly his mind tricking him into believing what he wanted to.

Also, as far as the Biff discussions, you can explain away a lot of his dumb moves by just claiming he's a moron, so I have little issue with those choices. The fact that 2015 remains the same after Old Biff goes back doesn't fit into the "rules" of time travel throughout the BttF movies.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 01:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I think 6th Sense gets away with it because isn't there some line about people see what they want to believe, or something? So if he believes he's still alive, he'll carry on as normal and see what he wants to. It's like he's tricking himself.

I'd be willing to accept that if we didn't see direct evidence to the contrary with his wife. He assumes his marriage is on the fritz because his wife won't speak to him when it's really because he's dead. Is his wife the exception? Do all people treat him like that? Either way you have a plot hole.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking Dark Knight Rises...When Bane takes over the stock exchange and makes all those trades, forcing Wayne to go broke...Obviously there was a huge attack on the stock exchange. There were witnesses everywhere who saw Bane's henchmen doing computery stuff. Why didn't the authorities just invalidate the trades immediately?

Also, Armageddon...isn't it easier to teach Astronauts to fucking Drill rather than teach Drillers how to be Astronauts?

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Speaking Dark Knight Rises...When Bane takes over the stock exchange and makes all those trades, forcing Wayne to go broke...Obviously there was a huge attack on the stock exchange. There were witnesses everywhere who saw Bane's henchmen doing computery stuff. Why didn't the authorities just invalidate the trades immediately?

cuz they were validated using Wayne's fingerprints. so, apparently, that was proof enough.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:

cuz they were validated using Wayne's fingerprints. so, apparently, that was proof enough.

That's still bullshit. They can't prove that uh, the whole thing was fraudulent because it all happened in the middle of a televised armed robbery? Super bullshit.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 05:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jurassic Park, the T-Rex is standing on the other side of the fence and busts through it. A couple minutes later, as he shoves the car over the edge, we see that on the other side of the fence is a giant drop. How the hell did the T-Rex climb up there or even stand there? Damn thing must have had the ability to fly or something.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Dec 24 2012 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:

Also, Armageddon...isn't it easier to teach Astronauts to fucking Drill rather than teach Drillers how to be Astronauts?

Haha. It would be indeed.

it was the best of times

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 25 2012 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

In the Dark Knight movies, I can't believe nobody figures out Batman's secret identity by installing secret cameras all over Gotham City or tracking his computer activity.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Dec 25 2012 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:

It is. I drilled water wells in the army, and the training is probably 1/10000th as intensive as astronaut training.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 26 2012 07:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
There are tons of plot holes, particularly between Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises that always get a pass for no reason at all.

Batman takes his "I don't kill people" philosophy to MORONIC extremes in Dark Knight Rises.

Unarmed malnourished cops are marching against an army of well-fed well-armed psychopaths? I could take out half of the bad guy army with my missiles, but I'll just take out a couple of sentry guns. I'm sure the cops will be fine.

Some guy is firing missiles at me? I could kill him, but instead I'll waste precious time during a ticking bomb situation dodging them.
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 14 2013 02:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

At the end of Star Trek First Contact, when the Vulcan says "Live long and prosper", how the fuck does he know English already? Wasn't that 'first contact'?

Reply to topic

Jump to: