"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Disney says it is buying ‘Star Wars’ maker Lucasfilm

Reply to topic
ProtoScott
Title: New Robot Prototype
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

My biggest fear with this is that John Williams will be too old to do the music, I don't know if I can watch a Star Wars movie without him at the musical helm.

Where's Doctor Wiley... Oh no, too late.
My band's music can be heard here ---->http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/FELD/365363305503

http://useblogswisely.blogspot.com/ <------READ MY WRITINGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or not. I don't care.)

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

ProtoScott wrote:
My biggest fear with this is that John Williams will be too old to do the music, I don't know if I can watch a Star Wars movie without him at the musical helm.

*cold shudder* I just had a thought about Randy Newman handling the score to Star Wars.

On another note, it seems Lucas plans on donating all $4.05 billion to charitable organizations.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( &#865;� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hope everything goes horribly, horribly wrong and ruins Star Wars for good because I love hearing Star Wars fans bitch and moan.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 03:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Michael Myers wrote:
Me as a Jedi would be so tits. This is unrelated to literally everything you guys are talking about but seriously...Jedi...Michael...Myers. Think about it.

jedi michael myers would be unstoppable. would rule the galaxy by himself/.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 09:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
These movies were primarily for kids and they always will be and I'm still excited as fuck for what's gonna happen.

No they weren't. Maybe Episode 1-3 but the original Star Wars is more enjoyable for adults and by no means a kids movie.

I don't know what to think about Disney buying Star Wars. I expect the movies to be shitty though.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
These movies were primarily for kids and they always will be and I'm still excited as fuck for what's gonna happen.

No they weren't. Maybe Episode 1-3 but the original Star Wars is more enjoyable for adults and by no means a kids movie.

I don't know what to think about Disney buying Star Wars. I expect the movies to be shitty though.

I'm not saying that they are all gems, but Disney doesn't only work with companies that make children's movies.

* The Avengers
* Pirates of the Caribbean Series
* National Treasure: Book of Secrets
* John Carter
* TRON: Legacy
* The Proposal
* The Sorcerer's Apprentice
* Lincoln - Not released yet

I would argue that the separation between children's and adult media grew further apart in the 1980's. Think about this, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins were rated PG.

Still, when I think about the movies themselves, Episodes IV, V, and VI are probably better suited for children than I, II, and III.

Episodes I & II were cuter in their approach, but the level of violence and action was significantly more vivid. This escalated in Episode III to a much higher, darker, level.

Episodes IV - VI did a great job of keeping the vibe serious and not having much in the way of silly or cute things. The dialog was often times funny, but it was usually because of witty sarcasm and not because a humanoid frog-rabbit CGI idiot touched his tongue to an electric spark that probably should have killed him. Still, the original three conveyed a true sense of adventure and the story was moving and enchanting. The action focus was always based on the characters themselves and not cinematic excuses for explosions and light sabers.

The best analogy I can think of is to think of the most beautiful woman you can imagine. She is wearing makeup, but you can't tell because it is blended in to complement her beauty. That is Episodes IV - VI. Now, picture that same woman dressed up by Tyra Banks for one of those terrible shows my wife watches. The makeup becomes the focus and the woman is no longer as important. That is Episode I - III. So, I'd ask, which version of the woman would you be most interested in as an adult? As an adult, which version of the woman would believe to be a better fit for children? Lastly, as a kid, which one do you think you would find most appealing?

I am looking forwards to a new movie. I hope that they look to the original movies for inspiration.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Episode 1-3 are movie you don't really need an oppinion for. You just sit there and let it pass. You go out of the cinema and the movie is gone. It lacks in depth. That is what it makes it more of a childrens movie than Episode 4-6. I don't say it's a movie for children, only partially.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like how folks think George Lucas' "instructions" mean shit unless they were signed into the sale. Disney owns it. They could dress Jedis in rainbow garbs while shooting leprachans out their dicks and he technically couldn't do anything about it. It's not his product anymore. He sold it.

He could consult them, but they could also consult him to go fuck himself of the Disney Property,
username
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
humanoid frog-rabbit CGI idiot touched his tongue to an electric spark that probably should have killed him.

hah. great line.

Klimbatize wrote:

Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 02:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reading this stuff has made me realise George Lucas is a lovely man. I don't mind how dubious his film-making is/was because he seems to use his money in the right way.
username
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm does that mean star wars cameos in the kingdom hearts franchise? or even monkey island cameos?

Klimbatize wrote:

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

George Lucas has stated he will be donating "most" of his Disney Money to Charity.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/by-donating-his-disney-money-to-charity-george-luc,88218/

EDIT: Also related.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 01 2012 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL ^
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 03:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Atma wrote:
George Lucas has stated he will be donating "most" of his Disney Money to Charity.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/by-donating-his-disney-money-to-charity-george-luc,88218/

EDIT: Also related.

Oh god, my sides

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 06:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
hmmm does that mean star wars cameos in the kingdom hearts franchise?

This could potentially be awesome.

Cactus
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 06:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
username wrote:
hmmm does that mean star wars cameos in the kingdom hearts franchise?

This could potentially be awesome.

Now would be the perfect time for Square Enix to stop wasting time and money on Final Fantasy Versus XIII and get Kingdom Hearts 3 in production! They could have Guybrush Threepwood in it, Marvel stuff, former Eidos stuff,etc. It would be rad.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 07:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Atma wrote:
I like how folks think George Lucas' "instructions" mean shit unless they were signed into the sale. Disney owns it. They could dress Jedis in rainbow garbs while shooting leprachans out their dicks and he technically couldn't do anything about it. It's not his product anymore. He sold it.

He could consult them, but they could also consult him to go fuck himself of the Disney Property,

In June 2012, George Lucas named Kathleen Kennedy co-chair of Lucasfilm, with intent of eventually making her sole chair when he stepped down into retirement. Disney has kept her on as president of Lucasfilm, with her primary job being to manage the Star Wars brand. I would presume that if Lucas trusted her, she'll probably do a good job.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 08:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

If I were a parent with three kids, had someone I trusted to run the company for the time being, and I didn't need or want the money from selling it, I would keep the company and offer it to my children to run it if they so desired.

I find it interesting that there is no mention of his kids, other than to say that he made the movies the way he did because of them.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a list of other things that Disney acquired in the sale:

http://www.themarysue.com/5-things-other-than-star-wars-that-disney-owns-now/?pid=2615

Since I'm optimistic about Star Wars, I'm optimistic about Indiana Jones, and maaaaaaybe the Lucasarts game company. It'd be nice if Lucasarts games were something besides crappy Star Wars stuff.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Cameron
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
It'd be nice if Lucasarts games were something besides crappy Star Wars stuff.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Maniac Mansion.

Also, Disney now owns Labyrinth, Willow, and Howard the Duck. Maybe we'll also see David Bowie, Val Kilmer, and...Howard the Duck in Kingdom Hearts. Surprised Surprised Surprised

Actually, I would love a Kingdom Hearts level in the form of a point-and-click adventure, where you have to guide Sora, Donald Duck and Bernard through the Ed mansion. With the boss being the giant baby from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

username
PostPosted: Nov 02 2012 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

another article on what star wars can do w/the new movies: http://x.co/pHid

Klimbatize wrote:

Vert1
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bad move.

(1) Star Wars did not need anymore movies after 3. Disney is going to shit these movies up by remaking them with better graphics, worse music (remixes) & shitty effeminate actors and/or releasing new unnecessary movies that you try to rekindle quality from the originals but undoubtedly fail.

(2) The creator of the series sold out his creation. Never good. He doesn't need that money and he is going to waste it on charity which solves none of the socio-economic problems that create poverty and misfortune in the first place.

(3) This makes Disney more powerful. More power in fewer hands is not good for competition in the artform.

Cameron
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 03:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert1 wrote:
Bad move.

(1) Star Wars did not need anymore movies after 3. Disney is going to shit these movies up by remaking them with better graphics, worse music (remixes) & shitty effeminate actors and/or releasing new unnecessary movies that you try to rekindle quality from the originals but undoubtedly fail.

(2) The creator of the series sold out his creation. Never good. He doesn't need that money and he is going to waste it on charity which solves none of the socio-economic problems that create poverty and misfortune in the first place.

(3) This makes Disney more powerful. More power in fewer hands is not good for competition in the artform.

Didn't Lucasfilms do the exact same thing as #1 already?

And LOL at "he is going to waste it on charity". Stay classy, Vert. Stay classy.

And also, please keep your political beliefs out of a fucking thread about Disney buying Star Wars. Nobody cares and I (and I'm sure everyone else) is tired of you spamming everything with your insane nonsense.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 03 2012 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert1 wrote:
Bad move.

1.) Episodes 1 2 and 3 weren't bad, and as stated before Disney isn't just cutesy wootsy. Remember Pirates of the Caribbean, The Avengers, and Tron legacy? They're also keeping a lot of the original staff which doesn't change much, and Lucas is staying on as a consult so he's still there to supervise.

2.) $4 billion given to the right charities can help out a lot, and given to the right charities most of the money can avoid being lost in overhead and expenses and actually go to benefit starving families and families with no medical care. You can't just "fix" the conditions that cause poverty.

3.) I don't think you know how much stuff is actually owned under Disney. Here's a handy list http://www.cjr.org/resources/?c=disney
Disney is plenty influential all on their own, and yet plenty of competition exists.

Reply to topic

Jump to: