SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Fighter's Big Ass Thread of Lists

Reply to topic
Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 09 2012 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 09 2012 03:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
The SNES had endless good music on it, but I don't feel quite the same way about Sega. Which is disappointing, since the Genesis probably had the better soundcard of the two.

It's actually quite the opposite. The Genesis had just FM modulation for sound, basically just beefed up Sega Master System sound chip, and the SNES was released later with the ability to produce full digital audio. It's not even comparable when it comes to quality.

Here is just a comparison between the two sound chips and Doom for SNES and 32X (the 32X didn't have it's own sound processors, it used the Genesis, obviously)

That said, the Genesis could do some great stuff, and some soundtracks worked really well with what the Genesis had. But when it comes to being the technically better system when it comes to sound, the SNES is the better choice, that's not even debatable.

As for the topic:

Cactus
PostPosted: Oct 09 2012 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I grew up with the PC version of Sonic 3K which used general MIDI, so hearing the music from the Genesis version is always an odd experience to me.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 09 2012 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yay! I'm glad this is back, I love making lists. Though, admittedly, my knowledge of genesis games is amateur at best.

These are in a rough top-five first-favorite-to-last order.
In a game full of beautiful and amazing songs (also check out "Reincarnated Soul" and "Iron Blue Intention" if you like this one), this one is my absolute favorite. The level that it happened to encompass (the one with the water at the bottom of the screen reflecting all the graphics on top) made it even more beautiful and memorable.
[SPOILER:a6e611668c] [/SPOILER:a6e611668c]
Streets of Rage 3's music has music unlike any other Sega Genesis music I've heard. It's a weird mix of IDM and early industrial, and some of the tracks (like this one) are over ten minutes long. This one is my favorite from the game because I love the way it builds and builds.
[SPOILER:a6e611668c][/SPOILER:a6e611668c]
As a kid I used to just sit and listen to the title screen music of Ecco the Dolphin. It has such a simple and epic feeling.
Phantasy Star 3's world map music will always be my favorite of any RPG. It's pretty simple in retrospect, but what I loved about it the first time I played it was that as you begin assimilating people in your party, the world map theme gains an instrument for each person, which was pretty cool at the time. This is the music with all five people in your party, and it holds a lot of sentimental value for me.
The music for the Sega Genesis version of the first Mortal Kombat kicked serious amounts of ass.

Honorable mentions go to:
One of the most epic video game theme songs ever, IMO:
Streets of Rage 2 has such a danceable soundtrack.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 09 2012 04:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Zinja
PostPosted: Oct 10 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

toejam and earl - toejam jammin'

[SPOILER:9e54a4fbfa][/SPOILER:9e54a4fbfa]

gynoug/wings of wor - stage 1-1 (up to around 1:14 in the video)

sonic 2 - chemical plant zone

sonic spinball - toxic caves

columns - bgm 1 (clothos)

castlevania bloodlines - stage 5 (the prayer of a tragic queen)

rocket knight adventures - stage 1

alisia dragoon - stage 1

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 11 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of great entries. I'm happy to see how enthusiastic everyone was about this one.

Here's a few of my own personal favorites. I'll just do the one's nobody else has pointed out yet, since most of my favorites were already covered.

Ocean from Vectorman. Vectorman had one of the best soundtracks on the Genesis, and was probably, Sonic aside, my favorite game for the system. I think the soundtrack really shows off what the system was capable of sound wise.

[SPOILER:b4279e25b3][/SPOILER:b4279e25b3]

Ranger X Stage 3. Ranger X was another one of my favorites, and one that seems really under appreciated. It was also hard as balls. Most of the music was forgettable enough, but this piece was fucking awesome, and one of the main reasons I ever kept playing the game.
[SPOILER:b4279e25b3][/SPOILER:b4279e25b3]

Jurassic Park - Visitor's Center. One of my all time favorite pieces of game music, like, ever. I say that with a strait face. The game isn't very good, and it was a total bastard in terms of difficulty, mostly for control reasons. But the Visitor's Center, the game's climax level, is great. Most of the level has velociraptors actively stalking you, and this piece of music does a good job capturing that desperate, tense, hunted kind of feeling. It's actually one of my favorite pieces of music to play Left4Dead to for the very same reason.
[NSFW:b4279e25b3][/NSFW:b4279e25b3]

A couple more from the same game. These are both intense, moody pieces from the Power Pland and Pump station, respectively. Both of these pieces capture the tension of their levels. The Power Station a lot more subtly than the Pump station, though the latter had a better song.
[NSFW:b4279e25b3]

[/NSFW:b4279e25b3]

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, this week's list: The ten songs that will play for you on an infinite loop in Hell.

Cameron
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 01:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Any kind of harsh noise music, such as this (turn your volume the frak down):

After that, this:

And for the rest:
Bonnie Tyler - "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
Ke$ha - "Tik Tok"
LMFAO - "Sexy and I Know It"
Brokencyde - "Freaxxx"
3OH!3 - (anything)
Atreyu - "Bleeding Mascara"
Bee Gees - "Immortality"
AC/DC - "Back in Black"

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 03:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, this week's list: The ten songs that will play for you on an infinite loop in Hell.

1. Arms Wide Open by Creed - I'm limiting this list to one entry per artist. Otherwise, Creed would take this bastard right over. Creed should get some kind of recognition for doing this impossible: creating music that was so boring that it physically irritates people. I suppose I picked this particular "gem" because it's so adaptable. You know you've heard this song because you can always count on some retard to play it at a wedding, or baptism, or high school graduation or whatever. Because nothing says "I'm about to have a positive, life altering experience" like a piece of mass produced pop rock garbage sung by a man with testicles in his mouth.

2. Cheat on Me by Lulu - I took the time to link this song because I truly feel that it has to be heard to be believed. This sounds like a track from the worst garage band ever. The band that gets booed off the stage at a High School talent show and gets so embarrassed by the experience that they take their parents' advice about becoming lawyers and accountants seriously, never picking up instruments again. Except it's not that band. If it were, this turd would have passed into obscurity and everyone could have just laughed about it. Instead, this is the hideous bastard child of Lou Reid and Metallica. I'm not sure what this song is. It's either the product of musical artists so jaded that they're just recording whatever trash they can to collecting a check at the end, or a strange form of revenge torture that they're inflicting on an industry that abandoned them. I'm inclined to believe the latter, since this song is essentially the musical equivalent of white hot iron nipple clamps.

Also, it's 11 goddamn minutes long.

3. Beautiful by James Blunt - I don't feel like I should have to tell you why this song sucks. It turns out that we didn't ban the practice of castration for male singers because it was cruel, but because the music was fucking obnoxious

4. I Try by Macy Gray- Really anything by her. She sounds like a fucking drowning cat. I pick this one individually because it's the reason that she was inflicted on the general public as a popular artist. I didn't realize there was a market in the music industry for howling banshee women who smoked 5 packs a day, but apparently there was, or this song wouldn't have become a hit.

5. Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy by Big and Rich - Time to partake in an exercise I call Things no Decent Person has Ever Said. "You know what I want to hear? Two ignorant, inbred, hillbilly retards rapping about John Wayne and why gays suck. That's what today's music needs".

6. Tik Tok by Ke$ha - If you don't know why I put this song on the list, count your blessings. It simply means you haven't heard it. The worst part about Ke$ha's inexplicable career is that she actually is talented when she wants to be. If you don't believe me, go listen to her cover of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". Yet that song never got airplay and this one took over the charts. God is dead.

7. Career Opportunities by the Clash - Now, I know what you're thinking. Yes, the Clash is my favorite band. And yes, Career Opportunities off of their self titled album is one of their best punk standards. But that's not the song I'm talking about. No, the Career Opportunities I'm talking about is off Sandinista!, where instead of being sung by one of the greatest bands that ever was or will be, it's performed by tone deaf British children against a background of xylophones and bells. I can't even begin to explain why the Clash would let this happen.

8. Elvira by the Black Oak Boys - This song is what happens when inbreeding, moonshine and repetition record music together.

9. Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit - Picking which Limp Bizkit song I'll be forced to listen to in Hell is sort of like trying to decide which dictator was the worst. The obvious choice is Hitler, or in this case, Nookie. Rollin, or Stalin, is probably just as bad or worse, but gets a bit a break because we kind of expected them to be horrible by the time we heard just how bad they were. But the band's cover of Behind Blue Eyes is objectively the worst, just like Mao. Because on top of being just as bad as the others, they take it a step further by destroying something beautiful. For Mao, it was the riches of China. For Fred Durst, it was the Who. Well, fuck communism! And fuck Limp Bizkit!

10. Scrubs by TLC - I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub.A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me. I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me. Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I GET THE POINT!!! The only thing more annoying than this stupid, obnoxious, repetitive song is how fucking popular it is. I will never, ever, EVER understand why people like this shit.

Vert1
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 04:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I wasn't supposed to post this as I was logged out before it submitted. This is not going to be a place where shitty music dominates. It is going to be much different than the bombardment of laptop dubstep, emo rock, and pop music on Earth. Isolation, fear, loss of hope -- all of these feelings will be present in the music here. With some hesitation I present the playlist of Hell.

1. Dive - There's No Hope.
This is definitely what music will play when you play a game of basketball here.

2. Dive - Dead or Alive
This is what will play as you run through dark hallways. Whatever you run from will be terrible.

3. Akira Yamaoka - A Stray Child
This is what will play as you wander through dark hallways. It may give off a pleasant airiness sound that make you feel comforted but that it is an illusion.

4. Noise/Girl - Honeyfunk
Genre: Noise. This is what people imagine surviving inside a nuclear bomb blast sounds like if it went on for 6 minutes. This will be used to erode your sanity.

5. John Lennon - Mind Games
Everything pleasant you enjoyed on Earth is a trap and will be used against you. Whenever you inevitably get tricked this track will play.

6. 中村正人 - STH1 Green Hill Zone ~Mega Drive version~
You enjoy Sonic music? It's great stuff.

7. Arpanet - Zero Volume
It's reason for inclusion is unknown and so is what triggers its occurrence in Hell.

8. DJ Sharpnel - Hot Pepperz
J-Core trolling. That is all.

9. Eminem - Amityville
A random deranged song that is played.

10. James Brown - My Thang
This song was played in Jacob's Ladder so it will definitely be played here.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 05:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

10 songs that would be my hell if played on loop, now there's a list I'll have trouble narrowing down.

10. Pretty much anything by Celine Dion, I don't care what it is. If I never heard her voice again it would be too soon. Fucking Titanic.

9. Hanson- Mmm Bop: My brother owned this CD, and I heard it constantly. I've heard it since then and I still can't stand it.

8. Rednex- Cotton Eye Joe for obvious reasons

7. Macarena also for obvious reasons

6. Gwen Stefani- Hollaback Girl: I love Gwen Stefani, but someone probably should have had her killed for this song.

5. MIMS- This is Why I'm Hot: I first heard this song sometime in 2005 or 2006, I remember where I was when I heard it. I was working at Circuit City, stocking new release CDs and it came on the XM Radio Top 40 station that we played constantly and refused to change even though it was clearly driving some of us insane. I heard it no less than 5 times a day for weeks, and it took all my force of will to not take the box cutter to my wrists by then end of the second day. He literally spends several minutes repeating the same line over and over and over.

4. James Blunt- You're Beautiful: Pretty much same reason as #5, no less than 5 times a day for an entire summer will make you want to puncture your eardrums just to escape this song.

3. Eiffel 65- Blue: This song is one of the most singularly annoying songs I've ever heard that wasn't sung by Ke$ha. Can't stand to hear this song.

2. Pretty much Creed's entire repertoire. The rock station around here had a love affair with these guys and played them to death for years. Thankfully someone finally pointed out to them that a good number of their songs were religious and they quit playing them so much.

1. Linkin Park- There are very few bands I can't stand more than Linkin Park. Their music is awful and their lead singer has no talent and spends 50% of every song screeching into the mic and the other 50% screaming into it. I had the displeasure of hearing them live in 2003 as part of Summer Sanitarium and I have to say that even Limp Bizkit was better than them. At least you could understand what Durst was saying. Fucking Linkin Park was just loud unintelligible sounds like you hear when the monkeys at the zoo get agitated and start freaking the fuck out. It got so bad I finally was like "Time to go get a T-Shirt, hit the bathrooms, and buy some food. I'll come back when the Deftones get on stage." In fact they sound so terrible I wouldn't be surprised if they were already the soundtrack to hell.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 16 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

John Cale, "Halleluja"- I used to enjoy the Leonard Cohen version of this song. It was cool and heartfelt, but the John Cale version (which I've heard almost constantly since Scrubs), is just the sappiest, lamest version which somehow gets the most play. This is just that dull form of sappy that people with a limited set of emotions and experiences consider to be a "sad song." Didn't hurt that one of my college roommates used to play it on a loop, no matter what mood he was in.

B.T.O.- "Takin' Care of Business"- Most of my songs are going to be rock "classics," and while they're good, I'm completely sick of every one of them. In Centre County, PA, there are only two radio stations worth listening to: 93.7 The Bus and 90.7 The Lion. The latter has some great shows with a huge mix of new and old talent, but you can only take so many jam bands in a row, so you swtich to The Bus for classic rock. The Bus has one of the easiest, most repetitive playlists of all time, and they will play this fucking song at least twice a day, up to our counted record of four times in one night during a shift. I'm just sick of it.

Breaking Benjamin, "The Diary of Jane"- There are worse acts than BB, and I actually somewhat like their "So Cold" song, but these guys are unforgivable as the godfathers of this new wave of dull alternative rock, and this is the most overtly sappy of their songs I've heard.

Puddle of Mudd, "Control"- "Rock music is better because the music is real, man. Not like this hippity-hop bullshit about sex and degrading women, man." If that's so, then Puddle of Mudd is the biggest innovator in over 50 years.

AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"- Good song, but I've just heard it enough for this life, and the afterlife. So The Bus, like many stations, has that "Show switch amnesia" where since it started a new show, that means their playlist is set again at "anything they want," even the exact same songs played in the previous show. I remember when we had the police show up at our restaurant when the grill cook called in and threatened to strangle Jeff Brown, and secretly take over his life so that the locals could hear something besides Faces' "In the Mornin'."

Phil Collins, "Comin' in the Air Tonight"- The only Phil Collins song I liked, and two years of constant play ruined it for me. I know you're all seething at me, but I really am sick of it.

Nickelback, "This is How You Remind Me"- It's funny how this song went from "Ugh, at least it's some popular rock," to being turned off the radio within seconds of starting. All their songs are shit, but this is the first, and arguably, most-played song of theirs.

Sum 41, "Summer"- By the late '90s, I knew pop-punk was going to be synonymous with Blink 182 and Sum 41 forever, and would be a joke, no matter how many Screeching Weasel, Queers, or Dillinger Four records I'd push on people. This song, in my head, is the worst that pop-punk has to offer, as it passes the whole checklist for crappy, radio-friendly pop-punk.

Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmas Time"- Every person who un-ironically likes this song should be suffocated with an un-inflated kiddie pool.

Smash Mouth, "All Star"- RADIO STATIONS STILL ACTUALLY PLAY THIS.

Machete
PostPosted: Oct 24 2012 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here are my favorite Genesis songs:

[SPOILER:6b810a7685]

My Hell song.

[/SPOILER:6b810a7685]
Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Oct 29 2012 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This week was going to be for the best and worst soundtracks for films, but I decided that, in celebration of the holidays, we'll do a Halloween list. Pick at least fives songs that would be on the playlist at your Halloween party.

1. Human Fly by the Cramps

[SPOILER:2efb1b386d][/SPOILER:2efb1b386d]

2. The Old Devils by William Elliot Whitmore

3. The Ghost of Stephen Foster by Squirrel Nut Zipper

4. Frankenstein by the New York Dolls

5. Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads

[SPOILER:2efb1b386d] [/SPOILER:2efb1b386d]

6. Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine

7. Something by the Dead Kennedys. That music is fucking scary.

8. Boogie Monster by Gnarls Barkley

That's all I got. Looking forward to your picks.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 29 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Skulls" and "Astro Zombies" by The Misfits on repeat.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Oct 29 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh! Howlin' Wolf! Something by him. Probably Evil

Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 29 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron
PostPosted: Oct 29 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The entirety of the album Only Theatre of Pain by Christian Death. For one thing, just look at the cover:
And for another thing, it sounds exactly how it looks.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Nov 10 2012 01:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. New topic. Pick the five to seven best movie soundtracks (licensed songs) and the five best scores (original music). GO TEAM

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Nov 10 2012 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Best movie score, hands down ...Conan the Barbarian. I'll have to think about the best soundtrack though.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Reply to topic

Jump to: