"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Prometheus

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 06 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So is anyone else excited to see this? It's probably my most anticipated movie of the year! I'm a huge Alien fan so I'm pumped that Ridley Scott is directing this.

At first I was annoyed at the lack of info about the movie but now that it's here, I'm looking forward to it being almost entirely a surprise.

Finally, I'm just curious, what is everyone's excitement level for this movie? I've talked to a lot of people (including big sci-fi fans) and no one I know plans on seeing this except for my brother and I. I always thought Aliens was a pretty big franchise but I'm not so sure now.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jun 07 2012 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

The main reason I want to see this is for the possibility to see something that balances out the existence of Metroid: Zero Mission. However, I heard it might be a trilogy, so it might actually balance out that of Metroid Prime. Assuming, of course, there actually is a connection to the Alien movies.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 07 2012 03:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

im excited to see this. it definitely looks like a prequel to Alien in all but name, but no reviews i have read indicate it is. it is slated to be a trilogy from what i read in one of the reviews
http://x.co/ktIt
so we'll see how it plays out.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jun 07 2012 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It looks interesting and the Alien movies are pretty decent. I know when I first saw the trailer I was wondering who was making an Alien remake before it told me the name and that it was by the same people who made Alien. I'll likely not see it in theaters because it costs too much but I'll check it out on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jun 08 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw it today at a matinee.

It's a really great sci-fi film if you like that genre. Dark places, aliens, people dying, the usual fare for this stuff by now Razz

Definitely see it if you are a fan of the Aliens movies.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 09 2012 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So IS this a prequel to Aliens, I'm confused.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jun 09 2012 05:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's the prequel to Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
PostPosted: Jun 09 2012 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its only a prequel in spirit. i dont think its part of the Alien canon.

Klimbatize wrote:

Rogue Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 10 2012 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw this and thought it was very good. I agree with Ghandi. Check it out if you like sci-fi or the Aliens movies.

In an attempt to avoid confusion...
Aliens = the type of aliens from the Alien movies
aliens = any other non-earth species

For those of you wondering if it's an Alien prequel:

[SPOILER:b23ecf6c58]Yes it is... however, if you're looking for the Aliens to run around impaling people's skulls with their protruding mouths, you'll be disappointed.

The Aliens aren't really a big part of the movie but there are some obvious links to the Alien films.

If you remember in the original Alien when they find the crashed ship with the dead alien corpse with it's chest burst... Prometheus is mostly about that race of aliens. The Weyland Corporation has launched an expedition to make contact with them. There are also some hints about the origins of the Alien species... though it'll leave you with more questions than answers.

It really felt similar to the original Alien. The ships, crews, androids and plots had a lot in common. So if you liked that movie you'll probably like this one.[/SPOILER:b23ecf6c58]
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 10 2012 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
I saw this and thought it was very good. I agree with Ghandi. Check it out if you like sci-fi or the Aliens movies.

[SPOILER:1603233246]Yes it is... however, if you're looking for the Aliens to run around impaling people's skulls with their protruding mouths, you'll be disappointed.

The Aliens aren't really a big part of the movie but there are some obvious links to the Alien films.

If you remember in the original Alien when they find the crashed ship with the dead alien corpse with it's chest burst... Prometheus is mostly about that race of aliens. The Weyland Corporation has launched an expedition to make contact with them. There is also some hints about the origins of the Alien species... though it'll leave you with more questions than answers.

It really felt similar to the original Alien. The ships, crews, androids and plots had a lot in common. So if you liked that movie you'll probably like this one[/SPOILER:1603233246]

Wow, that really makes me want to see it now, thanks, I don't mind the spoiler at all.

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jun 10 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:

Cleverly worded Spoiler! Very Happy I like it.

The fact is this is a film for sci-fi fans who love the hostile aliens thing. Try and watch it forgetting some press. Forget Ridley Scott, forget Aliens. Enjoy the ride.

This is an easy one to get lost in.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Rogue Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 11 2012 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did anyone see this in 3D? I don't go to 3D movies because they usually give me headaches but I sorta wish I saw this in 3D. I just want to know what it was like.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jun 11 2012 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
Did anyone see this in 3D? I don't go to 3D movies because they usually give me headaches but I sorta wish I saw this in 3D. I just want to know what it was like.

Many people are saying it was great in 3D. I just saw it in 2D, so I can't really say for sure.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 04:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:

Just saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was pretty amazing-looking. The 3D was done very well--really engrossed you into the experience. Space in 3D looks great as it is, but even the landscape scenes were pretty good.

It was the best-looking 3D film I've seen, after Avatar. Definitely worth it.

I dug the film a lot, and not just for the visuals. Definitely left me wanting more.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 18 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Saw this movie Saturday night. I thought was pretty terrible. Dumb people do mostly dumb things for mostly dumb reasons until most of them die.

The opening scene was one of the most retardedly stupid things I've ever seen in a movie. And I saw Snakes On A Plane.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jun 23 2012 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally saw it. Syd's beefs aside, I found it quite enjoyable. The extraction scene was particularly memorable.

As to which Metroid game it vindicates, I'm torn at this point. The creature designs looked like something out of Prime, but there were places, particularly in the third act, that more closely resembled Zero Mission. I'll give it a few years. If a sequel comes out in that time, I'll lean towards Prime. If not, Zero Mission.
username
PostPosted: Jun 23 2012 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anyhow, i enjoyed the movie. do the characters do dumb shit? yes, but its a horror/thriller movie, and people always do dumb shit in those type of movies.

i definitely was left wanting more. whatever questions were answered by the movie were replaced by even more questions. cant wait for the inevitable sequel

Klimbatize wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 24 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

The robot was insufferably obnoxious.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
PostPosted: Jun 24 2012 04:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i actually liked the android. i thought his character was well done. way better than charlize theron.

charlize theron looked hot in this btw

Klimbatize wrote:

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jun 24 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The android's personality was well suited for his role; if he was perfectly accommodating and nice, the film wouldn't have had nearly the same air to it.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Rogue Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the android. I also thought Snakes on a Plane was entertaining Smile

The people were pretty dumb and they were horrible scientists. Show some restraint! You can't go around running current through shit and poking at things just because you're excited for new discoveries!
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i actually liked the android. i thought his character was well done. way better than charlize theron.

charlize theron looked hot in this btw

I'm assuming she didn't get nekked like in other movies though?
Vaenamoenen
PostPosted: Sep 29 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

One of the most disappointing movies I've seen this year. Lame story, characters (yes yes, the android-dude was good) and action scenes. Also contained too much of that pseudo-deep religious/spiritual stuff.
Reply to topic

Jump to: