"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Avengers

Reply to topic
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 07 2012 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe how non-fanboy you guys are! I expect far more giddy schoolgirl giggles and pants soilage from you guys! Come on!

Anyway, saw it on opening night, and I have never seen the local theater that packed, ever. It's a new cineplex, our first big theater, and the building was jam-packed full. My girlfriend and I went and saw it in 3D Ultra AVX. The theater was crammed full, and I have never seen a crowd like that. Everybody laughed, cheered, it was amazing. Not bad for the 10:30 show.

So, the movie!! Every character was portrayed to show off their strengths. I didn't think anybody was lame.

Hulk was finally done right, and did you guys miss the whole "My secret is that I'm always angry" thing? Where he reveals that he's always been able to control it? He was amazing, and the Puny God seen was fucking hilarious, along with him punching Thor out.

Captain America spent the whole movie dealing with the fact that he's in a different world and everyone he knows is dead, and when it came time to fight, he became a leader. That's who Captain America is. He was anything but lame.

Thor was great. I liked his internal struggle with battling Loki.

Iron Man was incredible, as usual. Robert Downey Jr is just so perfect as Stark. And of course I have a soft spot for the Black Sabbath 'Never Say Die' shirt and the AC/DC intro. His relationship with Cap was perfectly played too. And of course, "Better clench up, Legolas."

I was very concerned that Black Widow and Hawkeye (one of my all-time favorites) would be grossly under-represented. I think making Black Widow stop the portal was on purpose (to give her a purpose), but as Hawkeye said, she's a spy, not a soldier. And this movie showed my girlfriend why I've always loved Hawkeye- he was such a fucking badass.

Honorable mention goes to the leather-clad asses of Scarlett Johansson and Cobie Smulders.

When Thanos turned around, I actually yelled out "Holy shit!" in the middle of the theater.

Anyway, the movie lived up to all its hype. I will be seeing it again, and it is officially my favorite comic book movie of all time.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 07 2012 02:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
Loki was a good character too, he seemed more authentic in the "Thor"-movie though.
They didn't focus enough on his personality, so it seemed like he was some whiny attention whore, always bitching about how Thor got all the credit.

Well, the Thor movie was half about him, in fairness. And part of the point of that movie was to skip the personality buildup so they could jump in feet first with Avengers--and I think they did that beautifully. I still think he was fantastic. And mad, mad fucking props to Tom Hiddleston (his actor) for being in on the fact that his character is 90% comic relief, but still acting his heart out as if he were playing fucking Henry V. (I mean really--would the "puny god" scene have been half as funny if he hadn't done such a great job selling how seriously Loki takes himself? He's crazy gifted, that one.)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 07 2012 02:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Hulk was finally done right, and did you guys miss the whole "My secret is that I'm always angry" thing? Where he reveals that he's always been able to control it?

No. No no no. He revealed that he had long ago learned to control when he turns into the Hulk - to an extent - when he uttered that line. But the actions of the Hulk were not something we had any reason to believe he had any idea how to control. The Hulk we saw on the Helicarrier was pure indiscriminate rage, and he damn well would have killed Black Widow if he had been allowed to. And then he shows up at the Stark building, and Banner can suddenly control the Hulk after undergoing the WEAKEST CATHARSIS EVER.

I didn't buy it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: May 07 2012 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@SoldierHawk

I didn't doubt his performance as an actor,
i think he did a good job, in fact the second best after Mark Ruffalo whos acting was just a joy to watch.

Scarlett Johannson did a weak job if you judge her by her acting skills. I guess most people didn't notice, because of her fine curves (wich i can understand).

Anyways, i critzied the writing, not the acting. Tom Huddelton, or what ever he is called, is actually a good actor and a good cast for Loki. I liked him the most, when i watched the Thor movie.

And to the whole Hulk discussion. I took the line "The secret is that, I'm always angry" as a cool oneliner. What is such a secret about it? He was scared in nearly every scene that the Hulk could break through, so i assumed that he is always in a shaky semi-angry state of mind in the first place.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: May 07 2012 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Honorable mention goes to the leather-clad asses of Scarlett Johansson and Cobie Smulders.

I definitely support this Smile

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 07 2012 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

I definitely support this Smile

Yeah, it's always a pleasure to see her in a movie.
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 07 2012 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
I have never seen the local theater that packed, ever.

I went to the 11:15 a.m. show Saturday morning and the theatre was mostly full; I was shocked.

Good, entertaining fluff of a movie, but I don't understand why the entire country is creaming in their collective pants over it. Maybe that's how others view my love of the Batman movies? Anyway, Syd's critique about Hulk was the first thing my friend said after the movie ended. Made no sense how he had no control in the airship, but at the climax, when they needed directed rage, he conveniently had control. Just way too many conveniences, but I loved Whedon's typical touch of comedy (especially with the Hulk in the final battle). And Iron Man/Downey is always cool to watch.

Part of my problem is I'm not a huge fan of any particular members of the team, and I don't like aliens in my comic book stories. Fuck if I know why I like to keep my sci-fi separate. Having Norse gods walking around is freaking weird to me too, but I think we all know how weird I am by now.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 07 2012 08:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had never heard of the Chitauri, apparently they're an alternate version of Skrulls?

Anyway I assumed the hooded guy promising Loki an army was the Red Skull, since he had possibly been sucked into a cosmic portal by the Tesseract motherfucking Cosmic Cube in the Captain America movie. I was disappointed that it wasn't, as Red Skull is too fucking awesome to be dead.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: May 08 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:
Hulk was finally done right, and did you guys miss the whole "My secret is that I'm always angry" thing? Where he reveals that he's always been able to control it?

No. No no no. He revealed that he had long ago learned to control when he turns into the Hulk - to an extent - when he uttered that line. But the actions of the Hulk were not something we had any reason to believe he had any idea how to control. The Hulk we saw on the Helicarrier was pure indiscriminate rage, and he damn well would have killed Black Widow if he had been allowed to. And then he shows up at the Stark building, and Banner can suddenly control the Hulk after undergoing the WEAKEST CATHARSIS EVER.

I didn't buy it.

I was under the impression that Loki had some control over Hulk's actions on the Helicarrier.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 08 2012 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

I didn't buy it.

I was under the impression that Loki had some control over Hulk's actions on the Helicarrier.

The way I read it, when Banner *fights* turning into Hulk, he has less control over Hulk's actions. When he changes voluntarily, he retains some amount of control.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: May 08 2012 02:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Anyway I assumed the hooded guy promising Loki an army was the Red Skull, since he had possibly been sucked into a cosmic portal by the Tesseract motherfucking Cosmic Cube in the Captain America movie. I was disappointed that it wasn't, as Red Skull is too fucking awesome to be dead.

I agree.

Anyway, I left this movie with two conclusions:
  1. Joss Whedon's directing style doesn't do it for me.
  2. I need to not watch any movies for the next seven years.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Andrew Man
PostPosted: May 08 2012 02:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Just because Red Skull did not show up in Avengers does not mean he is dead, who knows what Cap 2 will hold.

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: May 08 2012 07:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got screwed out of seeing the whole movie. The projector shut down about every 30 minutes and after the 3rd time they just issued refunds to everyone. So I only saw about 80-90% of it.

That being said, I really enjoyed it! I don't think there was a single character that I didn't like. I was really worried that there wouldn't be enough screen time for all the characters but I thought it was balanced out very well.

The Hulk suddenly controlling his rage was kind of BS. I thought Mark Ruffalo did an excellent job acting terrified of unleashing the Hulk... it made me nervous just watching him! Then it's suddenly not a problem.

And I wanted Loki to be... trickier. He's not really a powerhouse but his strength is that he's the ultimate trickster. I kept waiting for some ingenious twist that never happened. Like I said, I didn't actually see the end of the movie so maybe it happens. But if his plan was just to use some generic alien army to become king of earth then that's really un-Loki. If that's the case, I'd say the ultimate trickster/villain was the robed alien who traded Loki a shitty army for an infinite energy source. What a scam! Seriously, the US Military could've stopped that alien invasion!

But I REALLY liked everything else! I can't wait to go back and watch the whole thing!
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 08 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
And I wanted Loki to be... trickier. He's not really a powerhouse but his strength is that he's the ultimate trickster. I kept waiting for some ingenious twist that never happened.

It would have been neat if he acted more like the way he was depicted in the show Supernatural, eating candy all the time and putting the stars in fantasy worlds.

SUPERNATURAL SPOILERS

Although he ended up actually being the Archangel Gabriel pretending to be Loki, so whatever.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: May 08 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well I imagine he may come back around cap 2

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 08 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Loki from Supernatural sounds like Him from PPG.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: May 12 2012 09:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw it today. I didn't expect Hawkeye to be swayed before the title even rolled. That issue with the Hulk is questionable, although all I recall that janitor saying on the subject is, "You've got a condition." The third act made everything worthwhile, and showed that Alan Silvestri still has it. Overall, worth the four-year wait.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 13 2012 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, so quick cap:

Thanos is the guy at the end, not the Red Skull. I was surprised.

It beat out Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 for greatest opening weekend, at $207.5 million, and has a total world wide gross of almost $840 million.

May I remind you, this film came out a little over a week ago.

Now all I'm waiting for is that "#1 movie" record to be broken (15 weeks, held by Titanic).

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: May 13 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Its opening weekend revenue beat every other Marvel movie's total box office revenue.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 13 2012 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Its opening weekend revenue beat every other Marvel movie's total box office revenue.

In fact, it beat them combined by about 150%. It's crazy.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

jprime
PostPosted: May 14 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

Not really, considering some of them were shitty and therefore didn't do well at all.
Andrew Man
PostPosted: May 14 2012 03:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
Drew Linky wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

Not really, considering some of them were shitty and therefore didn't do well at all.

What films are you talking about? Most of their past major films, at least tying into the Avengers arc performed pretty well overall at the box office.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 14 2012 03:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

yeah... most of them were good. this whole claim of them being shitty is just another one of your dumbass opinions

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

jprime
PostPosted: May 14 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ang Lee's Hulk, Daredevil and Elektra. I thought that was obvious, unless I didn't realize you were only talking about the five leading up to this one.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 14 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never saw Elektra but Daredevil was... wow. Words can't describe how much i wanna punch Ben Affleck in the face for that movie.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: