"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Avengers

Reply to topic
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 03 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well... the midnight release is soon upon us (of which I am going to, really excited).

Anyone else?

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: May 03 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw it last night. A friend who runs a local theater was having a showing for certain people and I was invited.

I enjoyed the movie. I thought the interactions between the heroes was good, they had some pretty good chemistry together. Captain America was the most useless of all of them, and just seemed overly corny compared to the other characters, although he did have his moments. There was some great action and quite a few hilarious scenes, especially a couple involving Loki. The Hulk was awesome in this movie, and my favorite of all the Avengers.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: May 04 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, finally, some of you have seen it!
I REALLY REALLY liked it, but my dumbass brother said the movie was too "low brow". Honestly, I don't think the movie loses any points at all for squeezing a few funny scenes in there, it actually makes it even better. Laughing is good Smile
And I was worried about how useless Cap and Black Widow would be, but I liked the solution they found: Giving different heroes different tasks. It's simple, but it was done so well, you only half notice how lame Captain America is Very Happy
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 04 2012 01:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sehkmaenzo wrote:
you only half notice how lame Captain America is Very Happy

them's fighting words

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 04 2012 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's not an argument, his abilities are significantly less noticeable than that of the others. Iron Man has a suit with an army's worth of weaponry and the ability to fly. The Hulk is a living, indestructible tank, and Thor can fly and control lightning. And Mjolnir. The Black Widow isn't technically a super human, so I don't count her. Or the other guy. But they were both cool and did what they could.

Captain America was at a serious disadvantage. Sure, he's an acrobat and incredibly strong, but I think besides that the only other thing he's got going is the vibranium shield. So he uses his field combat experience to his advantage and becomes the leader of the team, using tactical strategy to win instead of brute force. That's admirable.

Long story short, Captain America uses tactical strategy instead of pure power to effectively lead and coordinate. And that's where his strengths lay.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 04 2012 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well you put Hulk and Iron Man in the same movie as Cap and of course they are gonna overshadow him because they are just more fun. I still like him, just not anywhere near as much as the other two.

That said, I probably won't see this until Blu-Ray release. Bummer!

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: May 04 2012 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Finally saw it.

I liked it too. I was wondering how they'd use Hawkeye and Black Widow since they definitely are on the lower end of super hero abilities. It was a fun superhero movie and one where we actually know all the characters due to the other movies.

There was some really funny moments in there to break up the tension. I'm sure those who saw it could think of a couple offhand than I'm talking about.

Stay to the end of the credits.

Obviously.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 04 2012 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Saw this in IMAX 3D today. I came twice.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 05 2012 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Avengers 2 is going to be one hell of a ride. Just 4 Marvel movies to wade through first. i think my favorite "exchange" was between Loki and Hulk
Loki "I am a god"
Hulk grabs him and just pummels him like we were watching a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, leaving Loki dazed and 2 inches into the floor.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: May 05 2012 06:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Saw it, liked it.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: May 05 2012 09:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Avengers 2 is going to be one hell of a ride. Just 4 Marvel movies to wade through first. i think my favorite "exchange" was between Loki and Hulk
Loki "I am a god"
Hulk grabs him and just pummels him like we were watching a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, leaving Loki dazed and 2 inches into the floor.

Heh, that was a pretty good one.

"Puny god" Laughing

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: May 05 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What is Nick Fury's super power exactly? Is he like The Avengers' accountant? Does he do their taxes? I'm really curious.

I didn't know wearing an eye patch was a super power.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Beach Bum
PostPosted: May 05 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
What is Nick Fury's super power exactly? Is he like The Avengers' accountant? Does he do their taxes? I'm really curious.

I didn't know wearing an eye patch was a super power.

From what I gathered he just is there to try to get them to work together and as a go-between for them and S.H.I.E.L.D. Plus his power is being Samuel L. Jackson and really what else does he need?

The movie was good though and even though Captain America was a little lame compared to some of the others it was pretty enjoyable all around.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 05 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nick Fury has no super powers. He is the founder of SHIELD.

it was the best of times

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 06 2012 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you are familiar with the comics then you know Nick Fury's super power, which has yet to be revealed in the films. I heard they're going to reveal it in Avengers 2, but if you really can't wait that long I'll spoil it for you...

[SPOILER:503e34bbd5]Nick Fury's superpower is the ability to change race at will.[/SPOILER:503e34bbd5]

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: May 06 2012 03:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Saw it, loved it, and flat out want to marry the film.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 06 2012 05:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:
Saw it, loved it, and flat out want to marry the film.

This. Seen it twice as of tonight, and will be seeing it again tomorrow.

Two words: "puny god."

EPIC. FUCKING. WIN!

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
PostPosted: May 06 2012 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

saw it friday morn. loved it. came like 10 different times. once for scarlett johansson, and the rest for captain america & the hulk.

Klimbatize wrote:

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 06 2012 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot to mention that i really liked Mark Ruffalo as the new Hulk actor. He did a good job and overall i liked him the most out of all the characters.

I little letdown was the main antagonist, Loki. He seemed pretty powerless compared to the Avengers.

it was the best of times

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 06 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hulk is kind of a shitty character and he's not interesting enough to carry a movie, but he was good in The Avengers.

But the Hulk still kinda irritated me in this. Bruce Banner is all like I CAN'T CONTROL THE HULK, I CAN'T CONTROL THE HULK. And then suddenly he can control the Hulk for no real reason. Because some random janitor told him he could? Sure, why not?

Also, Cap was fucking great in this. I don't what movie you guys watched.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 06 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Hulk is kind of a shitty character and he's not interesting enough to carry a movie, but he was good in The Avengers.

But the Hulk still kinda irritated me in this. Bruce Banner is all like I CAN'T CONTROL THE HULK, I CAN'T CONTROL THE HULK. And then suddenly he can control the Hulk for no real reason. Because some random janitor told him he could? Sure, why not?

Yeah, that didn't make any sense.

What kinda annoyed me about the Hulk was that he moved like a giant gorilla, using his arms to push himself forward while moving.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: May 06 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I agree with Cap assessment, but as for Hulk, he is an amazing character if written for well.

Some of my favorite comic arcs of all time feature the Hulk. He is a character of seemingly limitless power, always able to kick it up to that next notch.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

username
PostPosted: May 07 2012 03:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew Man wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

I agree with Cap assessment, but as for Hulk, he is an amazing character if written for well.

Some of my favorite comic arcs of all time feature the Hulk. He is a character of seemingly limitless power, always able to kick it up to that next notch.

i agree. the hulk is truly a tragic character when written well.

Klimbatize wrote:

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: May 07 2012 04:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

So after seeing Avengers three times in three days, and after carefully considering each and every awesome thing that happens in that movie, I have finally found a shirt that sums up at least 80% of the thoughts I had while watching:

Yes please <3

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 07 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Loki was a good character too, he seemed more authentic in the "Thor"-movie though.
They didn't focus enough on his personality, so it seemed like he was some whiny attention whore, always bitching about how Thor got all the credit. That is a motiv to unleash your vengeance upon a whole planet but not a solid or plausible one.
In some points of the plot it seemed like Loki was like some Loser and the Avengers stood around him in a circle and pushed him around.

I'm looking forward to the Avengers 2 movie. Thanos seems to be more of a match for the Avengers than Loki.

it was the best of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: