"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Bionic Commando

Reply to topic
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 05:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just played through Bionic Commando for the NES the other day. I was surprised at how fun the game was, though nonsensical at times. The physics with the grappling hook were really good for that era. There was an assortment of weapons/items that you obtained by beating areas and could equip before you entered other areas. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't figure out what half of the passive items did and I didn't have an instruction booklet.

It's additionally neat for me to finally play it because when I was a kid, I used to look through my NES Game Genie codebook all the time. I always would see Bionic Commando and think it to be a sequel of Commando, the game based on the movie with Arnold S, which I didn't know at the time. I had the Commando cartidge when I was a kid and I thought it was a fun game. I'd try to play it on my emulator but either the rom is screwy or the mapper type can't be read.

Regardless, I'd suggest playing this game if you can and leaving the comments. If worst comes to worst, I wouldn't mind sending the ROM of Bionic Commando directly through e-mail or AIM. Just let me know if such an action is necessary for I must spread the joy of Bionic Commando.

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yes, I played Bionic Commando. I loved that game. My favorite part firing off shots in a neutral zone and seeing how many guys I could kill before I died. That, or I'd just leave and when I came back everyone would act like nothing happened.

I later found out that the game had been edited for release in the United States and Europe. In the original game, the bad guys were Nazis.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
OctoMan
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

YESSSS!! Bionic Commando is one of my NES faves, and I'm especially glad to see others who like it 'cause I mentioned it once on another forum and the reaction was unenthusiastic at best. Most of my very favorite games are ones that are at least a little bit cheesy or goofy, and BC counts, if only because of the cartoonish way the hero looks. Things I love about BC:

-The bionic arm idea is wicked cool, IMHO. The fact that you can use it so many different ways - grappling the walls/ceiling, grabbing items, hitting guys, is awesome.

-It may sound weird, but one thing that always impressed the hell out of me about this game was the fact that you couldn't jump. I know that sounds like an odd thing to say, but really, think about it - in virtually every game of this type, you can jump to ridiculously unrealistic heights. In reality, the height anyone can jump to is so small as to be negligible, and thus BC always seemed to me to be just a *bit* more realistic (in this sense, anyway - yes, of course I realise the irony of claiming that a game featuring robots and suspended-animation-Hitlers is 'realistic' Wink).

-The funky 'heroic' music it plays when you beat a level. Very Happy I want a .wav of that music.

-The music in the levels is pretty good, I think, pretty battle-sounding.

-Even though it may not be realistic, I always thought the plot was pretty kewl, what with the whole Nazi connection and stuff (and come on, the scene where Hitler descends out of that 'vat' and confronts the hero is just awesome. You told Hitler off!!! I forget what the exact words are, but I remember it feeling pretty cool to tell Hitler off).

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'd just leave and when I came back everyone would act like nothing happened.

LOL... I loved doing that, too... stupid neutrals! Laughing

Quote:
I later found out that the game had been edited for release in the United States and Europe. In the original game, the bad guys were Nazis.

Yeah... even our version you it's totally obvious, though!

P.S. I almost forgot - who could fail to love the part where Hitler explodes? Twisted Evil
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

One of the things that really pissed off about that game, was that in one of the neutral zones, a high ranking enemy officer was parading around. I know it's unethical, but I was wondered why I couldn't just shoot him on the spot. As I recall, I couldn't figure out how to grab one of the radios without violating the ceasefire. It wasn't a huge issue, but I figure there must have been some way to get it safely.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 02:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember getting all the transmitters. It took me three "tries" to realize the whole cease-fire thing. =-=laughs=-=

1) Didn't pay attention to the dialogue and shot a medic.
2) Shot but not at anyone which still sounded the alarm and... instantaneous paratroopers?
3) I shot the people that would attack me first, so apparently defending yourself makes you the malefactor.

It really was a great game though. I was astounded that I'd barely heard of it and enjoyed it so much. The WWII parallelism is neat too. I was surprised that "Hitler" exploded. If I remember correctly, the animation was a bit more detailed than usual, especially for an NES game. A side note, the Hitler clones reminded me of a Mr. Show sketch.

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: