[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Don we now our BRIGHT apparel?

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 06 2011 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From the huffington post:

I'm sorry but this is just being over-PC:

A Michigan music teacher's decision to censor the word "gay" from a traditional Christmas carol is being met with a frosty response.

The teacher, who has not yet been named in any of the published reports, allegedly removed "gay" from "Deck The Halls" after 1st and 2nd grade students kept giggling during preparations for a Christmas concert at Cherry Knoll Elementary School in Traverse City. Instead of the traditional lyric, the students were taught to sing "don we now our bright apparel," according to UpNorthLive.com.

The school's Facebook page has since been inundated with reactions from infuriated parents and fellow educators. "By taking the word 'gay' out of 'Deck The Halls' you are making it a big deal, one word can have different meanings," wrote one user. "Your personal opinions should not reflect what you teach other people's children. Please teach the children the classic song the way it was written." Another added: "Essentially, this teacher has now taught the elementary school children, including children as young as five, that gay means homosexual sex."

One user even incorporated a clever parody of the song's 19th century lyrics: "See the crazy school before us/Fa la la la la, la la la la/Prejudice with a thesaurus."

The story also caught the eye of famed sex columnist Dan Savage, who noted, "Someone had to straighten out that carol—can't have children donning gay apparel."

As television station WPBN has reported, however, Principal Chris Parker has said he is disappointed in the music teacher's decision to change the lyrics to the song, and the students are, in fact, now back to singing the original version.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can see why people are pissed.

It's probably frustrating for a teacher though to be trying to teach them a song and they are like

"GAY?! HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA"

"Essentially, this teacher has now taught the elementary school children, including children as young as five, that gay means homosexual sex."

Yeah i totally get this but why do they find the word gay funny in the first place? They must associate a meaning to the word gay to find it funny. Do they know what it means? Face it no kid thinks of the word 'gay' as meaning happy, hell fucking no one uses the word gay as happy.

They may not regard it with homosexual sex but i'm sure they know know that "boys fancying boys" is what gay means. Well either that or just the statement "that is gay" that sucks... but that is not funny.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 04:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Except that gay by itself only means homosexual. Otherwise "gay sex" would be redundant with that logic.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Dec 09 2011 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel kind of bad for the teacher. One decision, made for totally rational reasons and this shitstorm comes down on him/her. Pretty sad.
Reply to topic

Jump to: