"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
One thing Cracked still hasn't said about Back To The Future

Reply to topic
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 14 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When Marty sees himself go back in time, it's not his same self from earlier in the movie, but the one that existed as a result of George having stood up to Biff 30 years prior. That Marty never came back, and the one that did shouldn't and/or couldn't have existed.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 15 2011 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know why I'm replying to this but here's something else. Not sure if cracked covered it already, but how can Marty have kids in the future if he isn't in the present to have them. Basically Marty has been missing for 30 years when he shows up in 2015 in the Delorean.
Baiting

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 16 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate this thread with a passion... not because it is wrong, but because it is correct... stop destroying the movie!

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 16 2011 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I hate this thread with a passion... not because it is wrong, but because it is correct... stop destroying the movie!

You have to poke fun at it, even with it's flaws it is one of my favorite movie series.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Nov 16 2011 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
I don't know why I'm replying to this but here's something else. Not sure if cracked covered it already, but how can Marty have kids in the future if he isn't in the present to have them. Basically Marty has been missing for 30 years when he shows up in 2015 in the Delorean.
Baiting

Shit man, I can never watch this movie again after reading that.

Milhouse
PostPosted: Nov 17 2011 09:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

The poet W. B. Yeats believed Time to be a spiral. Though spirals will circle near previous space and events, there must be a starting point. Marty had those kids because the Marty from that space WOULD have a future and that's what he saw. But, Doc says we make our own future, so much like Charles Dickens wrote about in "A Christmas Carol," these are shadows and ghosts.

The REAL question about "Back to the Future" is why are there so many assholes in 1955? Lorraine's gruff father, Biff attempting murder and rape, that red-head bully that cuts into George and Lorraine's dance (even though she clearly doesn't want to dance with him...
Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Nov 17 2011 09:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Time travelling is like a petit gateau. You start at the crust, and when you get to the center, you die, because you're surrounded by hot chocolate.
Makes about as much sense as all other time theories I've heard Razz
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 17 2011 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, you're missing the more obvious one: after George clocks Biff, Marty should cease to exist. Marty is a rape baby, and Biff is his biological father. Watch the first movie again, it's strongly hinted throughout.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 17 2011 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Guys, you're missing the more obvious one: after George clocks Biff, Marty should cease to exist. Marty is a rape baby, and Biff is his biological father. Watch the first movie again, it's strongly hinted throughout.

How? He's the youngest of the 3 kids.

ProtoScott
Title: New Robot Prototype
PostPosted: Nov 17 2011 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Baiting

This is not true, as long as the Doc and Marty's intent when they leave is to go back to the moment they left than the future should reflect that fact. The real issue is that the future marty should be a product of the 2nd and 3rd movies and he should never have been in the rolls royce accident.

Where's Doctor Wiley... Oh no, too late.
My band's music can be heard here ---->http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/FELD/365363305503

http://useblogswisely.blogspot.com/ <------READ MY WRITINGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or not. I don't care.)

DatsRight
PostPosted: Jan 29 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've never understood the idea of time travel, and not for the standard reasons, but because of something I learned in Jr High physics. Nothing is ever created nor destroyed, but merely changes form. Be it energy or matter.

So if I had a time machine beside me right now, and I whisked away to year 19xx; when me and the time machine vanished, what would happen to our matter? Would there be a mini black hole/or some sort of vacuum effect sucking things into the area we once occupied but is now absolutely vacant? When we reappeared in 19xx hat matter would we made of, and would everything else in the world get pushed aside to 'make room' for us?

Plus time travel seems to assume that the world is like what ancient people believed and is a stationary center of the universe, hell just from the time I started writing this until now I've traveled god knows how many kilometers through space on this big ol' globe, if I even 'phased' out in my current position for just a few seconds, by the time I phased back in I'd be stranded in space cause my planet has continued traveling along its path without me.

But then I guess that's part of the Delorean's time travel mechanism, it's doesn't just pinpoint time, but the actual place in the universe that any given spot on Earth will be at any given time... Cause we're constantly revolving on our own axis, which in turn is revolving around the sun, and (I may be wrong here) but isn't also the sun traveling? PLUS were always traveling away from the universe's center as the universe expands...
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 29 2012 04:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

This can't be. Because Marty's mom never would've been raped in the Rolls if Marty hadn't gone back in time and gotten her there in the first place. And because he did, George knocked out Biff in the first place. I don't see any indication that the attempted rape incident led to a chain reaction of Marty's mom getting raped off and on for years.

Also in Back to the Future 2, I think Marty was killed on top of Biff's building, but then Doc Brown went back in time (not shown in the movie) and then conveniently showed up at the top of the building with the deloreon to save Marty's ass.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Feb 01 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

My mind exploded after reading this.

Thorton02
PostPosted: Feb 01 2012 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

My assumption is everytime Marty travels in time, it creates an alternate timeline where he ceases to exist in the present. When he comes back at the exact same time he left, I 'm not sure if that destroys this alternate timeline and replaces it with the "real one", or if it creates a new one and the alternate continues on. Of course Marty would have no knowledge of the events going on in the alternative timeline and probably be unaware of it's existance.

No, I don't think I will fuck Stummies.

Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The movie is 100% accurate. It is you who should be analyzed and questioned.

Trust me. Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey.

Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DatsRight wrote:
I've never understood the idea of time travel, and not for the standard reasons, but because of something I learned in Jr High physics. Nothing is ever created nor destroyed, but merely changes form. Be it energy or matter.

So if I had a time machine beside me right now, and I whisked away to year 19xx; when me and the time machine vanished, what would happen to our matter? Would there be a mini black hole/or some sort of vacuum effect sucking things into the area we once occupied but is now absolutely vacant? When we reappeared in 19xx hat matter would we made of, and would everything else in the world get pushed aside to 'make room' for us?

Plus time travel seems to assume that the world is like what ancient people believed and is a stationary center of the universe, hell just from the time I started writing this until now I've traveled god knows how many kilometers through space on this big ol' globe, if I even 'phased' out in my current position for just a few seconds, by the time I phased back in I'd be stranded in space cause my planet has continued traveling along its path without me.

But then I guess that's part of the Delorean's time travel mechanism, it's doesn't just pinpoint time, but the actual place in the universe that any given spot on Earth will be at any given time... Cause we're constantly revolving on our own axis, which in turn is revolving around the sun, and (I may be wrong here) but isn't also the sun traveling? PLUS were always traveling away from the universe's center as the universe expands...

I've actually thought about this too. Good call.

Izzy
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
When Marty sees himself go back in time, it's not his same self from earlier in the movie, but the one that existed as a result of George having stood up to Biff 30 years prior. That Marty never came back, and the one that did shouldn't and/or couldn't have existed.

Here's a possibility: Doc read Marty's note and understood what he would need to do to make everything similar to what happened before. Also, since the Marty he knew was probably a rich snob, he probably sent him back to the 1885 so some jackass outlaw would kill him. He liked the Marty he met in 1955 much better.
On top of that, Doc is full of shit. He probably didn't learn about the flux capacitor when he slipped. He probably uncovered the remains of the DeLorean he sent snob Mart back in.

Now that's a temporal loop right there.

ProtoScott
PostPosted: Feb 24 2012 02:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have always had way less of a problem with the first movie than with the second one. Why would Doc take Marty with him to the future to change an event that hasn't happened yet? How will that have any affect? If you go to the future and change something and then go back to the past it won't change the future unless it causes you to act differently than you would have before. Doc could have achieved the same affect by just telling Marty the date and time Griff starts pressuring his son so that Marty could make sure to be on top of the problem.

My band's music can be heard here ---->http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/FELD/365363305503

http://useblogswisely.blogspot.com/ <------READ MY WRITINGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or not. I don't care.)

Izzy
PostPosted: Feb 24 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doc didn't believe in letting a person know too much about his own destiny. The whole mess could have been avoided by telling Marty not to race Needles. Doc needed Marty to pretend to be his son, that was all he wanted him there for.

ProtoScott
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But why did he want Marty to pretend to be his son? So he could stop and even that hasn't happened yet? Even if Doc and Marty had achieved that initial goal and gone back to 1985 it wouldn't have changed anything. Thats what going back in time does, it erases what has happened, and the only way that what has happened will change is if Marty does something different between 1985 and 2015, so unless the Doc was just secretly trying to get Marty to learn about his own horrible fate their was absolutely no need to take him to the future.

It is the same logic for why they can't go into the future to stop old Biff from taking the delorian after he changes the present. If Doc and Marty go forward in time to stop something and then go back 30 years to live in the 80's they are erasing what they have done and going back to a present where the future still holds the negative events that they tried to stop. You can only change the future by taking action in its past.

jprime
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In short: The whole rest of the trilogy could have been avoided, or at least about Marty and Doc dealing with the Libyans.
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 08:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They need a prequel trilogy now. To add confusion.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck it, just CG Jar Jar Binks in there somewhere

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Izzy
PostPosted: Mar 03 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ProtoScott wrote:
But why did he want Marty to pretend to be his son? So he could stop and even that hasn't happened yet? Even if Doc and Marty had achieved that initial goal and gone back to 1985 it wouldn't have changed anything. Thats what going back in time does, it erases what has happened, and the only way that what has happened will change is if Marty does something different between 1985 and 2015, so unless the Doc was just secretly trying to get Marty to learn about his own horrible fate their was absolutely no need to take him to the future.

It is the same logic for why they can't go into the future to stop old Biff from taking the delorian after he changes the present. If Doc and Marty go forward in time to stop something and then go back 30 years to live in the 80's they are erasing what they have done and going back to a present where the future still holds the negative events that they tried to stop. You can only change the future by taking action in its past.

I believe Doc was only trying to stop the entire McFly family from going to prison. He wasn't trying to stop Marty from having a shitty life.
That's the part I don't get. Relativism BS.
Doc says he doesn't want anything to do with changing people's destiny, so he won't tell Marty why he never became a rock star, but he will save the whole family from going to prison... Um, Doc, is that not their destiny?

jprime
PostPosted: Mar 05 2013 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Reply to topic

Jump to: