[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Walking Dead - Season 2

Reply to topic
Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 03:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
Sarge wrote:
That image link is broken for me so I can't see it. Is it something verboten? I don't know.

It's just a shot from "You can't do that on Television".

See what I did there? Up to this point, I was under the impression that if you died without a bite, you just died. The kid coming back as a zombie really confused me, just like Darryl and Glen.

Lasher
Title: an horse
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 03:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You got slimed...

You want some water?

get your ass to mars

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 04:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
justdrop wrote:
Wait, how did we get on the subject of birth causing the condition? Death and injury due to bites is what causes it, so far.

Shane wasn't bitten, and he turned zombie. That dude from the other group had his neck broken and became a zombie. There was a guy they found who hung himself, and he became a zombie. It's been established in the show for a while---it DOES NOT take a zombie bite to turn into a zombie.

The only thing that we know is that death brings on the zombie condition. Could be air-borne, could be something else.

Vald's question is a legit one. If a human fetus dies in utero, does it turn into a zombie while in the womb?

I imagine that it could, though you yourself had stated that it:
Klimbatize wrote:
It could be argued that the fetus has not been infected if it's an air-borne virus. It's not like fetuses get colds and flus, which are transmitted through the air.
In terms of basic virology, the virus still gets transmitted to the blood, which is how it circulates and propagates throughout the body unless you're talking, say, an aerosol version of some sort of necrotizing pathogen, which would likely start rotting the vector ingress and portions attached, though it depends on the incubation period if there is one.

What I think bears consideration, though, is the fact that Lori became pregnant after the virus hit, when she and Shane had sex. That being the case, it's perfectly feasible the fetus could've been infected, as up until I think the third week or so, the fetus and the mother share the same blood supply; it's the same way that AIDs or the like is transmitted from mother to baby.

That said, it would really depend on the stage of fetal development as to whether or not a zombie baby could just rip right out of the womb and kill the mother a la the facehugger spawn in Alien. If there's sufficent nail/tooth growth, it could happen, although I'd think that something like that would likely trigger a delivery as the body attempts to initiate evacuation of the dead fetus inside of it (as a bodily reaction to avoid further infection via reabsorption of the necrotic/infected fetal tissue).

lordsathien wrote:
It also reminds me of the rules for vampire fetii from 2nd edition Vampire: the Masquerade. That the undead newborn would claw and devour its way out of the womb, killing the mother and then run amok.

Didn't V:TM 2ed also have vampire animals and other high weirdness, though? They really kind of toned things down in 3ed, specifically with the Time of Thin Blood book that gave a much more rational explanation as to how dhampirs could exist. Anyhow, back on target, like others, I highly doubt that they'll have Shane/Lori chestburster baby if they couldn't show Carl shooting a man in the neck. There's probably... other things, from a series of books or something, they'll have to tone down too, but this isn't the place for that.[/quote]

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's the difference between a kid shooting a man and a kid shooting a zombie, really?

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
I highly doubt that they'll have Shane/Lori chestburster baby if they couldn't show Carl shooting a man in the neck.

When did Carl shoot a man in the neck?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
aeonic wrote:
I highly doubt that they'll have Shane/Lori chestburster baby if they couldn't show Carl shooting a man in the neck.

[SPOILER:cadb4091ce]In the comic. He kills Shane by shooting him in the neck; human Shane, not zombie Shane.[/SPOILER:cadb4091ce]
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
aeonic wrote:

In the comic. He kills Shane by shooting him in the neck; human Shane, not zombie Shane.

Oh, so we, as viewers, don't know if they would or would not show Carl shooting Shane in the neck because it's been established that the TV series and comics are different. Just because it didn't go down the same way as it did in the comics doesn't mean AMC wouldn't have allowed Carl to shoot Shane. We've seen children being shot, so I'm sure we'll see Carl kill someone one of these days. As a fan of the TELEVISION show I think it made way more sense for Rick to be the one who killed Shane since they were at odds for the entire series so far. Having Carl kill him would have seemed very out of place.

Congrats on figuring out another way to crowbar what you know about the comics into this TV series conversation. We get it, you read the comics. You loved them. Lots of crazy shit goes down in them. They're awesome. The TV show is weaksauce compared to them. Rolling Eyes

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree about having Rick kill Shane. Carl is kind of a stupid character in the show in my opinion.

That kind of brings up something that seemed weird to me in the last episode: Carl admits to stealing Daryl's gun and running out into the woods. Rick then decides it's best to give him back the property that he stole, which happens to be a gun that he hasn't quite exhibited the maturity to use responsibly. It just seemed like they were really forcing the scene where Carl shoots Shane.
aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't crowbar'ing anything in. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at Lasher, who made the 'big reveal' of what I'd mentioned on the previous page of this thread, sans spoilers. Also, I like the TV show and the comics; maybe I like the comics a little more, but that's my prerogative. The show's still pretty good, and I watch it regularly. You're being pretty eisegetical, but that seems to be a thing for you.

Now, here's the reason I might've inferred that they couldn't show it on AMC as it went down in the comics, besides Standards and Practices having a shit-fit over a kid murdering a living human being. Spoilers ahead!

[SPOILER:d69a2d2ccb] In the comics, Lori seeks comfort with Rick, not Shane, after some nasty shit. Shane bugs out and heads into the woods, Rick follows. Shane holds Rick up at gunpoint, saying everything would've been better if Rick 'stayed dead'. As Shane's getting ready to shoot Rick, Carl, who'd been watching this going-down, uses his gun and shoots Shane in the neck. Shane bleeds to death.[/SPOILER:d69a2d2ccb]

But, you know, I just love to troll so much...

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
As a fan of the TELEVISION show I think it made way more sense for Rick to be the one who killed Shane since they were at odds for the entire series so far. Having Carl kill him would have seemed very out of place.

Yeah, I agree that it was best for the TV version. There had already been conflict setup between Shane & Rick. It had to be solved between them. Plus, having Carl shoot Shane's zombie version, makes at least a connection to the comic book, to satisfy those fans, at least partially.

I've heard whisperings about this elsewhere (as it's been hard for me to avoid this week it seems), so I actually went seeking out this information, explaining to myself that it's ok now that Shane's story has passed in the show, like the comic. Keeping the comic spoiler rules straight is complicated...I appreciate the spoiler tags, though (even though I clicked on them this time, for a change).

Regarding Standards & Practices, I remember they had to setup the shooting of Sophia specially because they said they cannot show a kid being shot on TV. I guess they got around it by camera angles, and showing Rick and his gun when he pulls the trigger. Perhaps there's some connection to this then?
aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
As a fan of the TELEVISION show I think it made way more sense for Rick to be the one who killed Shane since they were at odds for the entire series so far. Having Carl kill him would have seemed very out of place.

Yeah, I agree that it was best for the TV version. There had already been conflict setup between Shane & Rick. It had to be solved between them. Plus, having Carl shoot Shane's zombie version, makes at least a connection to the comic book, to satisfy those fans, at least partially.

I've heard whisperings about this elsewhere (as it's been hard for me to avoid this week it seems), so I actually went seeking out this information, explaining to myself that it's ok now that Shane's story has passed in the show, like the comic. Keeping the comic spoiler rules straight is complicated...I appreciate the spoiler tags, though (even though I clicked on them this time, for a change).

Regarding Standards & Practices, I remember they had to setup the shooting of Sophia specially because they said they cannot show a kid being shot on TV. I guess they got around it by camera angles, and showing Rick and his gun when he pulls the trigger. Perhaps there's some connection to this then?

I try with the comics/series differences, I really do, sorry to anyone who was upset I screwed the pooch there a little. By and large, I think we're pretty much onto the reasoning as to why things went down the way they did on the show. Honestly, I thought it was fitting too, at least in the context of the TV series. I'm really interested in seeing what happens next on the show. I also like to think that in most cases, the acting's starting to improve as the actors fall into the character "grooves". I am also staring to like Daryl. That's about all I have to say on the show, probably until next Sunday three hours after most of you have already watched it.

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:

This was exactly my point. In all it seemed very forced - probably to give a nod to the book fans, but wasn't exactly neccissary for how things transpired in the show. I'm curious as to how far they /can/ push things and the Sophia shooting is a perfect example. Breaking Bad pulls a lot of tricks to get away with shit they normally aren't allowed to do too.

get your ass to mars

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
I'm really interested in seeing what happens next on the show. I also like to think that in most cases, the acting's starting to improve as the actors fall into the character "grooves". I am also staring to like Daryl. That's about all I have to say on the show, probably until next Sunday three hours after most of you have already watched it.

It's weird, I still think the writing on this show is problematic and the show isn't nearly as good as it could be, but I'm always excited to watch a new episode. I agree that it is gradually getting better.

It can't be stated enough how much Darryl rules. He must not die. He's the only character that I really like. There's Glenn & Rick too, but they can be weenies at times. Maggie gets points for being hot and previously being on the show Supernatural. I've begun to like Herschel since he realized he was wrong. I wouldn't think he has too much of a chance surviving in the finale. We'll see who they kill off this Sunday. Heh, we should get a death pool going.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
We'll see who they kill off this Sunday. Heh, we should get a death pool going.

Yeah, I think Herschel and his entire family besides Maggie get killed off. They've offed two characters that have been with the show virtually from the beginning with Dale and Shane in consecutive weeks, so I'm guessing one more main person dies. I don't think Herschel quite fits the bill so I'm going with that short-haired lady who's already lost her entire family during the show.

No way they get rid of T-Dawg. He's just too integral to the show's central plot.

I agree about Daryl. If they kill him off I'll be pissed.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I could live without any of them but Daryl and Glenn. Well and Rick. I don't love him as a character, but I'm more invested in his *arc* than I have been of any characters since Fox Mulder and Niles Crane.

I don't think Herschel dies yet. That would be too kind for this show. I think they kill off his family (maybe minus Maggie?) first.

(Potential spoiler for those who have no idea what's coming next from reading the comic):

[SPOILER:95e563bf58] I'm guessing Herschel at least makes it to the prison, completes his decent into utter despair and nihilism, and becomes the Governor's first victim. [/SPOILER:95e563bf58]

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a few predicitons. Jimmy and wife of Otis will certainly die. They are meaningless characters. I'm not sure about Maggie's sister, they spent too much time on her with the whole suicide thing to just have her eaten that fast, so we'll see.

I also bet that the zombies that are appearing from the treeline is the same herd we saw at the interstate.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I have a few predicitons. Jimmy and wife of Otis will certainly die. They are meaningless characters. I'm not sure about Maggie's sister, they spent too much time on her with the whole suicide thing to just have her eaten that fast, so we'll see.

Totally agree. I would not be at ALL surprised if T-Dog bites it too, of course.

Quote:
"JoshWoodzy"]I also bet that the zombies that are appearing from the treeline is the same herd we saw at the interstate.

That's an interesting theory--I really like that. Is there any way we would ever know for sure though? Aside from the obsessive types who will play the two eps side by side to ID the makeups and costumes?

Do you think there would be a special significance to it being the same herd? Or just cool continuity?

I'm trying to figure out what the significance of the herds in general are. Surely they don't work together--it fact it seems counter for them to be in the same area competing for the same prey. Perhaps its just a matter of them all gravitating towards the path of least resistance accidentally creating a herd?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Could the mob of zombies be the other group they were all so worried about? It pissed me off how they heard the gun shot killing zombie Shane but were too far away to hear the gunshot from the night before taking out Dale. How far can a zombie get in a day when they're not chasing someone?

get your ass to mars

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
Could the mob of zombies be the other group they were all so worried about? It pissed me off how they heard the gun shot killing zombie Shane but were too far away to hear the gunshot from the night before taking out Dale. How far can a zombie get in a day when they're not chasing someone?

Well, how far could you get walking at a normal pace? These aren't fast zombies, but they aren't super slow either.

justdrop
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Lasher wrote:

Well, how far could you get walking at a normal pace? These aren't fast zombies, but they aren't super slow either.
At least 50+ miles a day, assuming they walk roughly the same speed I do with 160 pounds on my back and that they feel no fatigue.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what the significance of the herds in general are.

I don't think there's any significance to herds; they just pose a greater threat. Obviously a group of less than 10 or so zombies is no problem. They had a slow-mo montage of that at the beginning of the last episode.

I agree that Patricia and Jimmy are probably goners. In the preview for next week, Herschel said something like, "It's my farm. I'll die here." So perhaps he stays there when the group flees. If he does, I'd say that Maggie's sister probably stays with him, and there will probably be a sentimental scene with Herschel telling Maggie to go survive and Glenn to be the new man to protect her. I don't think Carol will die yet. I would say that she might stay with Herschel on the farm, but I think there's more of a storyline between her and Daryl that hasn't played out yet.
Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The raggedy man is leading the herds to Kashawak.

justdrop
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what the significance of the herds in general are.

I don't think there's any significance to herds; they just pose a greater threat. Obviously a group of less than 10 or so zombies is no problem. They had a slow-mo montage of that at the beginning of the last episode.

I agree with this. Lone wolves rarely take down a moose that isn't a calf, but a pack can make quick work of even the largest out there. Whether consciously or unconsciously, it's the same way with the undead when it comes to humans.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
It pissed me off how they heard the gun shot killing zombie Shane but were too far away to hear the gunshot from the night before taking out Dale.

Not to mention the fact that Shane's gun went off when Rick stabbed him, but it took Carl's gunshot to really screw the pooch.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Lasher wrote:
It pissed me off how they heard the gun shot killing zombie Shane but were too far away to hear the gunshot from the night before taking out Dale.

Not to mention the fact that Shane's gun went off when Rick stabbed him, but it took Carl's gunshot to really screw the pooch.

You ever hear a friend who's a teacher or a parent complain that kids don't pay attention? It's because they, like zombies, have selective hearing (in addition to both being listless unless they want something and wearing ripped-up clothes). Also, they all need to stay the fuck off of my lawn.

Reply to topic

Jump to: