[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Law & Order: The Complete Series for $700

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 08:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

from nypost.com

“Law & Order,” the longest-running crime drama in the history of TV, is getting what’s likely to be the biggest DVD box set -- ever.

The 20-season series will be released in a whopping 104-disc collector’s edition set on Nov. 8.

The suggested price tag on this behemoth? $700.

“Law & Order: The Complete Series” is expected to be the only way to get your hands on all 456 episodes that aired on NBC from 1990 to 2010. (So far, only nine seasons have gotten individual box-set releases.)

In addition to the -- literally -- hundreds of hours of “ripped from the headlines” episodes (11 seasons of which are making their DVD debuts), the box set will include hours of bonus materials, like deleted and extended scenes, cast interviews, set tours, featurettes and a tribute to the late Jerry Orbach, who starred as beloved Detective Lennie Briscoe for 12 seasons.

Also included in the set are a collector’s episode guide and the three “Homicide: Life on the Street” crossover episodes.

Universal Studios Home hasn’t released an official weight for the set yet, but expect it to weigh in at about 16 pounds -- about the size of a hearty Thanksgiving turkey.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know it looks like a ripoff, but it breaks down to about $35 a season. That's about right.

Still, if I want every Law and Order episode, I'll just set my DVR to record it for 2 weeks. I'll get them all.
Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
I know it looks like a ripoff, but it breaks down to about $35 a season. That's about right.

Still, if I want every Law and Order episode, I'll just set my DVR to record it for 2 weeks. I'll get them all.

Bunny is right, I think it's the USA Channel that pretty much plays L&O almost 24 hours a day.

I enjoy the show, but no way I could or would ever shovel out $700 for a box set of DVDs.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

$35 per season is actually LOW for an hour long drama series. Those usually retail for $43-50 per season. So it is a pretty good deal.

Also, I wish Law & Order was still on. It SHOULD have been on last season. But NBC didn't have room because it had all these "awesome" new shows, none of which lasted. NONE OF THEM. Because they were terrible. Law & Order was not terrible. Maybe it wasn't a ratings juggernaut, but it had a solid fanbase and the writing in Season 20 was phenomenal.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 03:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree the price breakdown is fair. However, even I--a huge L&O fan--am in NO way dropping $700 bucks on it. The great thing about a show like this is that you don't need every season to follow a cohesive story. Just buy a couple of seasons that have your favorite episodes, and your L&O fix is taken care of.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 09:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Can I just buy Seasons 5 through 10 out of that set?

Also, side note, anyone ever see some of those early episodes where Jerry Orbach is essentially playing Lennie Briscoe as a defense attorney? Kinda freaky...
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still trying to talk myself into the Buffy Cube, which is only 7 Seasons @ $100... (I have all the Angel seasons, so I have this twitch in the back of my head that says to get the Buffy set as well) I don't know if I could every justify $700 on a single TV show.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Aug 23 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
I'm still trying to talk myself into the Buffy Cube, which is only 7 Seasons @ $100... (I have all the Angel seasons, so I have this twitch in the back of my head that says to get the Buffy set as well) I don't know if I could every justify $700 on a single TV show.

Angel is another one I picked up with the DVR (TNT shows it at 6 AM, I think). Good stuff. I don't know if I could get into Buffy though.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 24 2011 04:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the entire collection of Red Dwarf super expensive like this?

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 24 2011 09:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:

More like anywhere from 50-100 depending on where you look.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Aug 25 2011 09:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In another few years we won't be watching disks anymore anyway. I'd rather just dl them all on Netflix or whatever streaming service we're using by then.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Blackout wrote:

More like anywhere from 50-100 depending on where you look.

Figures, I should have know Borders had insane prices!

Reply to topic

Jump to: