"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Computer build issue

Reply to topic
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 01:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre S51 8171 I got for free that my old desktop was from 2001, I decided to put a little money into to use for a year or so till I am out of school again and back working full time and can afford to build a real machine. My problem is I purchased a video card (EVGA GeForce 8400 GS) that while it fits, can run with the 2g of ram I have and the 3.2ghz dual core processor, the power supply in the machine is only 225 watts, and it needs a power supply that is a minimum 350 watts. There are not any, ANY, other power supplies that fit as an OEM replacement in the case (if you look you may find an Antec that looks like it would but is a bit too big, and the plug for power is on the wrong side and would be facing into the case). So I am looking for a solution. Since the Intel 915g motherboard has a PCI riser card trying to unbolt everything, sans power supply, and transplant into another case may not be an option I don't know, and I haven't found a power supply that is physically smaller then the OEM one that is in it and has 350 or more watts power so it could fit in with some extra brackets. Also, the minimum power needed if I switched to a different card (ATI or Nvidia chipset) at 512 is 300 watts. So um, HELP!!!!
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The real trick is making sure that the power supply you get will work with the motherboard.

Can you take a picture of the connector on the MOBO?

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Aug 10 2011 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

working on the pic, the current power supply is the Hipro HP-A2258F3P if that helps, any suggestions?

Reply to topic

Jump to: