"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
It's been three months.

Reply to topic
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The older this site gets, the less reliable it gets for new content. So far this year, all we've gotten are two placeholders like the one for the hundredth article two years ago, a video game comparison and a joke top 100. I've been as patient as I can about this, but a quarter of a year appears to be my limit. Anyone else feel as I do?
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel you are being pretty whiney. That's how I feel.

This is a free site with zero ads, I don't see how someone could complain about content in a serious manner.
Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Write an article, J.P. . It won't get posted here, sure, but it'll take away some of your free time Smile
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's an idea: instead of complaining about content, complain that the site doesn't have enough ads. If the site has ads providing income driven by site traffic, you can be damn sure there'd be a lot of new content.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 01:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
I feel you are being pretty whiney. That's how I feel.

This is a free site with zero ads, I don't see how someone could complain about content in a serious manner.

seconded

and Syd does this for fun. hes not required to do anything. he has a life of his own. even if its just watching FOX & drinking Diet Coke.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the articles are great but I mainly come back to discuss topics with people who share my interests on this forum or in the chat. And like it's already been said a couple of times...it's a free site with zero ads.

Would more articles be cool? Sure. But if he doesn't feel any inspiration, Syd's writing is going to come out shitty and just be "filler". Also, Syd contributes more than anyone else to the forums, so it's not like he's MIA or anything.

I'm sure jprime isn't the only one who thinks this way, but I also think you need to reassess what the site is all about.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know what I want to see? A new FWSE.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jul 01 2011 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Yeah, the articles are great but I mainly come back to discuss topics with people who share my interests on this forum or in the chat. And like it's already been said a couple of times...it's a free site with zero ads.

Would more articles be cool? Sure. But if he doesn't feel any inspiration, Syd's writing is going to come out shitty and just be "filler". Also, Syd contributes more than anyone else to the forums, so it's not like he's MIA or anything.

I'm sure jprime isn't the only one who thinks this way, but I also think you need to reassess what the site is all about.

This. A thousand times this. We came for the articles; we stay for the community.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:

This. A thousand times this. We came for the articles; we stay for the community.

Agreed, though I hate to say it. This is perhaps the best community I've ever visited, but we need some new content, and if Syd isn't providing, maybe he should farm out to other people.

Or chat with the Bingo people again.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow life must be a frustrating ordeal for you.

Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 03:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
This is perhaps the best community I've ever visited, but we need some new content, and if Syd isn't providing, maybe he should farm out to other people.

Community articles might be a good idea. Have maybe a list or an article that everyone here has involvement in. It'd be less work for Syd, and it's not like we're all little kids and/or illiterate dickheads, so what we write wouldn't be bad. Plus, people complaining about the lack of updates would get to be a part of the solution instead of just having threads like this one.

Blackout
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 03:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's a bad idea, how many of the comments solicited for the Hitler article were any good? Plus it's his website not ours, why are we even discussing fan articles like they are a distinct possibility?

Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 04:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, frankly, the Hitler article wasn't that good to begin with; it wasn't exactly intended to be. Also, I'm not suggesting that the community come up with entire article on their own, but maybe just have a bit more community involvement in a few articles here and there. I mean, I have to agree with UsaSatsui with the thought that this is a pretty God damn good community (and like Klimbatize said, Syd is a pretty big part of it) so it couldn't hurt to at least try it out.

Blackout
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 04:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I enjoyed seeing my comment in the article just as much as anyone else, but I think that's more of a now and then kind of thing. It would lose it's appeal if there were more of them I think. I'll continue to enjoy the community and the conversations we have, if there's a new article to read that's just a bonus in my opinion. I'm not going to hassle the guy to churn out more material or complain about it, writing is ready when it's ready and done when it's done. For all we know he could be dealing with something more important that a website right now, like a toilet explosion or a pack of ravenous raccoons in his attic or one of them there things with a vagina, a woman!

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 05:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even really visit the main page anymore as i only come here for the forums. So I couldn't really care less if there was never a new article.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 09:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

If he wanted to sub out work for the site, I imagine he would do it.

Everyone is welcome to write an article if they like, we have an entire forum dedicated to other peoples works. I see group projects and solo projects developing in that thread all the time, or maybe if you really want to make content, then go ahead and just start it up yourself.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 09:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Content is always fun, but my guess is that original posts like this one actually hurt Syd's drive to produce more than they help. I know that if it were me, I wouldn't want to be bitched at, I would want to be encouraged. Also, perhaps this type of thread isn't the correct vehicle for motivating him. If you have a great idea for an article, write it yourself or mention it to him in a PM.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He has mentioned before that if we don't get on his case, he won't get off his ass. But it probably needs to be more constructive than the OP

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Writing is hard. Please send me cocaine and concubines. If you can only afford to send me one or the other, send concubines.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 02 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Look in your mailbox Thursday, for concubines obviously. Tracking number is 13475692. I opted for no insurance, so hopefully they don't die.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Jul 03 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dude I totally remember sending you the check last Thursday, check you mailbox... what happened you used to be cool?
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 03 2011 01:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Look in your mailbox Thursday, for concubines obviously. Tracking number is 13475692. I opted for no insurance, so hopefully they don't die.

You didn't try to fit them into one of those "one size fits all" USPS boxes... did you?!?

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 03 2011 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the idea of community articles. If you want to write something there is no reason to piggy back on syds site, just make your own site or blog and post there.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 03 2011 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
I don't like the idea of community articles. If you want to write something there is no reason to piggy back on syds site, just make your own site or blog and post there.

QFT. There isn't any real reason that you'd want to write an article for this site other than to capitalize on the sites popularity. No reason you can't start your own site, it's fucking dirt cheap.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 03 2011 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Douche McCallister wrote:

You didn't try to fit them into one of those "one size fits all" USPS boxes... did you?!?

Yea, Is that bad?

Reply to topic

Jump to: