[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Reply to topic
Decoy
Title: !
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Everything Went Better Than Expected

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a new cartoon from Hasbro, revolving around the--

...I'm leaving.

Get back here.

Despite the extremely girly name, saturation of pinks in the color scheme, and legacy attachments to the 80's, this cartoon is GOOD. Sit down, and I'll tell you why.

Okay, why should I watch this?

It's directed, produced, and overseen by Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McCracken. You might know her better from work such as The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. This is a woman who A. knows what she's doing, and B. doesn't go for the old "let's throw tea parties and defeat villains by sharing" bullshit.

And this shows though, STRONGLY, in Friendship is Magic. It feels much more like the Powerpuff Girls than any previous MLP cartoons-- the writing is clever and snappy, the humor is surprisingly witty, the voice acting is top-notch, the characters are distinct and likable, and in every episode there’s at least one joke or reference which was clearly put in more for the adults watching than the kids.

Oh, and the art is damned good too.

I don’t believe you. A My Little Pony cartoon that doesn’t rot your teeth?

I know! But this thing is on FIRE. Despite a rather unfortunate timeslot it's found a wide and devoted audience already, and is quickly shedding the old albatross of girl's cartoons past. A good chunk of that audience, surprisingly, is also male, and in the 20-35 demographic--though most of those would probably never admit to watching it, at least not in public.

Well, tell me more, I guess. Maybe name some characters?

Can do!

Twilight Sparkle: The de facto leader of our central cast. A unicorn who’s extremely book smart and good at magic, but is a bit new to this “social life” thing. She’s been assigned by her boss, Princess Celestia, to study the “magic of friendship” in Ponyville, which is the excuse for the plots-of-the-week and the Mork Calling Orson bits at the end of each episode.

Spike: Twilight’s assistant/friend/baby dragon/personal mail system. Though he’s supposed to be helping Twilight study magic, his job is mostly to provide snark. He’s also one of only two legacy characters in the series, thanks to Hasbro losing the licenses to the old ponies. The other one is...

Applejack: An earth pony who is proprietor and operator of Sweet Apple Acres, an orchard outside of town. Applejack is stubborn, blunt, and not much given to subtlety, but she’s also honest, reliable, and as faithful a friend as you could ask for.

Rainbow Dash: A pegasus pony who LOVES to fly--preferably fast, and flashy. Rainbow Dash is in charge of keeping Ponyville’s weather under control, and though she’s a bit proud and insensitive at times, she cares deeply for her friends, and would never leave them--except maybe in her dust.

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie Pie is an earth pony who is the living embodiment of a sugar rush. She loves to party, and celebration seems to follow her like a wake behind a ship. If she has an off button, it hasn’t been found yet--but though she can be a bit irritating, she’s always a joy to have around.

Rarity: Rarity is a unicorn who is all about the fashion. She runs a fashion shop of her own in Ponyville, and is quite the artiste. She’s somewhat posh and a bit of a perfectionist, which can lead to her clashing with the down-to-earth Applejack, but if her friends or town need her, Rarity always pulls through.

Fluttershy: Fluttershy is a pegasus pony who is quite literally scared of her own shadow. She’s timid, quiet, and, well, shy, which makes her ideal for her job of working with animals, but despite her own fears she’s always willing to help out, providing that little bit of kindness wherever it’s needed.

Together they get into hi-jinx, laugh, cry, squabble, and save the world once or twice. Just like any other group of friends, huh?

Huh. All right, all right, I’ll give it a shot. You said this was on when?

The show airs on Fridays at 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM on the Hub, which is a basic satellite/digital cable channel which replaced Discovery Kids (channel listing finder below).

http://www.hubworld.com/channel-locator

We’re actually fairly late into the season at this point--only two episodes of the first season are still unaired.

Buuut, as many kids won’t be able to catch it on there and the Hub website takes down the episodes it puts up rather quickly, the creator has voiced unofficial approval for Youtube postings of the show (by linking to them from her DeviantArt).

Episode 1, Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfMmtpl1fO0
Episode 1, Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUslPdYlmE0

LIST OF EPISODES
Episode # Title Airdate

1 Friendship is Magic Part 1: The Mare in the Moon October 10, 2010

2 Friendship is Magic Part 2: Elements of Harmony October 22, 2010

3 The Ticket Master October 29, 2010

4 Applebuck Season November 5, 2010

5 Griffon the Brush-Off November 12, 2010

6 Boast Busters November 19, 2010

7 Dragonshy November 26, 2010

8 Look Before You Sleep December 3, 2010

9 Bridle Gossip December 10, 2010

10 Swarm of the Century December 17, 2010

11 Winter Wrap-Up December 24, 2010

12 Call of the Cutie January 7, 2011

13 Fall Weather Friends January 28, 2011

14 Suited for Success February 4, 2011

So forget everything you knew, and give up your childish things--it’s time for some ponies!

A shovel and a complete lack of ethics can get you anything.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 05:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great research, except that Faust is stepping down from Executive Producer as of Season 2.

Also:

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You are gonna have a hard time convincing me this show isn't for children or females.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I am not getting behind or in any way endorsing Bronies and I suggest we kill it quickly before it spreads.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I knew it was only a matter of time before t his thread existed...

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Decoy
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
You are gonna have a hard time convincing me this show isn't for children or females.

Guess what: I thought the exact same thing when I first saw a thread for this show months ago.

It went something like this:

1.) A thread for My Little Pony. The shit.

2.) I guess I'll watch one episode.

3.) Huh. That wasn't terrible. I should watch another.

4.) ...I wonder if the entire series is on youtube.

5.) HELL YES PONIES

Seriously, give this show a chance; it'll blow your expectations away.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 01:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the first episode. I was not impressed. It's a kid show for girls. I feel nothing but shame now.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Decoy
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

The pilot (1st and 2nd episode) are not that great compared to the rest of the show.

If you want a good starter ep, try the seventh or so.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 06:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not ashamed to admit that I too watched part of an episode of this show out of curiosity, and I was impressed. It actually wasn't that bad.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

its funny how this is his first post/thread in nearly 2 years

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 10 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have two sons (3 and 6) and all three of us like this show. I think we all like it better than my wife does.

That's should say something.
Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Jun 10 2011 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nooooooooope.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Jun 10 2011 03:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

NSFW, but Awesome. Basically PMV Hell:
http://youtu.be/2Tjb14VoWjg?t=1m36s

One of my favorites would be Rarity as Galadriel when she's almost corrupted by The One Ring.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Aug 02 2011 05:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Aug 25 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've watched most of the first season on YouTube, and I actually kind of like it.

Also. . .

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while. Here's a concise review of the personalities of the six main ponies:

One started out not thinking about making friends, one tries to be as proper as possible, one is rambunctious and impulsive, one is perky, hyperactive and loves parties, one has a deeply loving and caring heart (though maybe a little too much), and one is slightly rowdy and wears a cowboy hat.

Sound familiar?

No, seriously, I'm asking. Statistically speaking, there has to be someone else who realizes they've seen something like this somewhere else. I'll wait.
username
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

silverhawks?

Klimbatize wrote:

jprime
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

No, that's not it.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Potatohead Kids?

Also, I watched five minutes of the first episode of this MLP crap out of curiosity, and it was just as gay as I suspected it would be. I mean, unless the show was all sex and explosions and fighting after that five minutes, I don't see what the big deal is.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
jprime
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 01:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, not that, either.

Also, it's not as gay as previous cartoons based around the license. There's something for everyone, though I could personally do without the musical sequences.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 06:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
Though I could personally do without the musical sequences.

Really, even Winter Wrap Up?

At least check out this Portal 2 mash-up based off the disturbing Cupcakes fanfic

Also, season 2 begins September 27th.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 09:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
I've been meaning to bring this up for a while. Here's a concise review of the personalities of the six main ponies:

One started out not thinking about making friends, one tries to be as proper as possible, one is rambunctious and impulsive, one is perky, hyperactive and loves parties, one has a deeply loving and caring heart (though maybe a little too much), and one is slightly rowdy and wears a cowboy hat.

Sound familiar?

No, seriously, I'm asking. Statistically speaking, there has to be someone else who realizes they've seen something like this somewhere else. I'll wait.

Is it even a cartoon you're talking about? Because that's the natural assumption and I'd like to stop wasting my time if it's not.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 09:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
jprime wrote:

Sound familiar?

Is it even a cartoon you're talking about? Because that's the natural assumption and I'd like to stop wasting my time if it's not.

its probably final fantasy or something.

always making these weird random connections and expecting us to be on the same page....

Klimbatize wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:

Obviously, your talking about 1991-1992 Roster of the WWF.

In order of your descriptions: Ultimate Warrior, Rick Martel, Macho Man, Ric Flair, Miss Elizabeth, Shawn Michaels
jprime
PostPosted: Aug 26 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, no, it's not a cartoon.

Username, you're getting warm.

Knyte, no, no, no, no, no and no.
Reply to topic

Jump to: