SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Let's learn about your favorite band/musician.

Reply to topic
M3GA MAN
Title: The Big A
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A very simple idea. Take a band you like a lot or is your favorite.
8 facts about them.
Favorite album?
Favorite song?
How'd you find the band?
What do you like about them?

Add whatever else you'd like.

I'll take it away.

Civil Twilight

Eight Facts:
They started in Cape Town, South Africa.
They've been together since 1996.
They just recently released their debut album, self-titled, Civil Twilight.
They spent much of their early days practicing in local church halls.
Their style is much akin to U2 and Pilot Speed.
Alternative rock is their genre they play.
Two band mates are brothers and their band consists of 3 members.
Steven, the younger brother, gave up guitar to play bass, and the guitarist originally gave up guitar to learn drums.

Favorite Album: Civil Twilight
Favorite Song: Soldier/Letters from the Sky
Discovered from: Friends
What I like about them: I just enjoy their overall sound, they put out very good sounds even for such a small scale band.

Now you follow.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Faith No More

Eight Facts:

Band started as a result of another band called "Faith No Man". Instead of kicking the main guy Mike 'the man' Morris out of the group, they decided to all quit and form Faith No More because "the man was no more".

Courtney Love had a very brief time with the band while they were experimenting with lead singers.

Their first minor hit "We Care A Lot" was a parody of relief efforts such as Live Aid and Band Aid. The song can also be heard on Dirty Jobs now.

Mike Patton got his start with the band after Big Jim Martin heard a demo tape. Ironically, it would be Patton's influence on the band that would eventually lead to Martin leaving.

The fish that caused so much controversy by flopping around in the Epic music video was stolen from Björk.

Big Jim Martin had a cameo in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey as a leader at the "Faith No More Spiritual and Theological Center", also the song "The Perfect Crime" was included. It's kind of funny since less than 3 years later, Martin would never play with the band again.

The line up for lead guitar changed several times during their last years. Geordie Walker was offered the position but declined. Trey Spurance took over for one album, who happened to be in Patton's former band Mr. Bungle. Dean Menta did some touring for a while, before they settled on Jon Hudson.

They recently reformed after being broken up for over a decade, although they played very few dates in the US. Their plans for a new album and so forth are up in the air, but I'm hoping for the best!

Favorite Album: Angel Dust
Favorite Song: Stripsearch
Discovered from: Their big hit "Epic"
What I like about them: Essentially, they transcend so many different genres and grow from album to album, something completely different than almost any other band I've ever heard. I had the privilege to see them at the Hollywood Palladium last December, and it was the most crazy intense concert I've ever been to. Front row! \m/
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Electric Six

Eight Facts

The band is out of Detroit, and originally known as The Wildbunch

All of the performers go under pseudonyms, most notably the lead singer Dick Valentine.

The band's fanbase is collectively referred to as "lover", as if Valentine was addressing one person.

They are one of those bands whose sound can't be pegged down in a genre, although Disco Punk would probably be the closest one would get.

The subject matter of their songs is normally about macho bravado, the night, fire, women, and being awesome.

The band gained notoriety in the UK for their song "High Voltage", which features Jack White of the White Stripes on backing vocals (a fact which was disputed and hidden up until recently).

The band is not a fan of doing cover songs, and have only ever done two. The first is a cover of Queen's "Radio Ga Ga", which they were forced into. The second is a cover of "The Rubberband Man", which is a song that Dick Valentine has wanted to cover for some time.

I didn't have to look any of this shit up Cool

Favorite Album: I can't decide, although Fire and Senor Smoke are required listening.
Favorite Song: Dance Commander
Discovered From: Ventrilo Harrassment, when their song "Gay Bar" was used to troll some WoW players.
What I Like About Them: I see them as the fast paced, complex, and most importantly fun cure to all of this pussy generic whiny shit that seems to pervade the airwaves. Essentially, they are the anti-emo. Also, the band just fucking rocks.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 08:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another awesome fact about Faith No More is that they opened for Guns N' Roses and Metallica
on their co-headlining tour in 1992. They were not the first choice. Nirvana was offered the spot, but turned it down because Kurt Cobain was a pretentious dick.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also Mike Patton apparently took a shit in an orange juice container and resealed it and put it back in Axl Rose's bus.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 10 2011 05:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know it was probably for the best, I don't know about you but Nirvana and Metallica don't sync up very well in my opinion, and I like both bands for their musical qualities if not their non musical, that'd be a weird shitty concert if you ask me, so it's almost OK he was douchey in his reason for turning it down.

Conversely how was it not pretentious of Metallica's management or whoever to jump all over the band wagon and offer a slot to an obviously flavor of the month garage band that made it big and clearly didn't fit with Metallica's arena metal grandiose style anyway?

In closing yeah Kurt was kind of an annoying liberal rebelling is cool and totally original douche-bag, if anyone likes it after I do it sucks now poser, but I think it was a good call in the long run, Nirvana opening for Metallica would have been a shitty concert and you know it.

Faith No More seems like a way better fit all augments aside is what I'm feeling.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 11 2011 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just thankful Kurt finally shut himself up.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 11 2011 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Soundgarden toured with the three of them as well.

LOL at 1:15 were Patton eats a sandwich thrown up on stage.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 11 2011 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha Patton is awesome.

And Soundgarden kicks all sorts of ass. They are a great fit with those two. That would be awesome if I had the chance back then to see all three of them live in their prime.
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Jun 12 2011 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I plan on posting in this thread more than once.

Neil Young
8 facts:
-Is known for his work with Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Crazy Horse, The Stray Gators, and solo material.
-Has two sons, born to two different women, with Cerebral Palsy, as well s a daughter with epilepsy.
-Was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm while recording 2005's Prairie Wind.
-Recorded an album with Pearl Jam, 1995's Mirror Ball.
-His signature guitar, a 1953 Les Paul goldtop painted black and named 'Old Black', was traded from Jim Messina for a Rickenbacker.
-According to Guitar World, he was born in Winnipeg, Ontario. He was actually born in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
-Spent the 80s experimenting with genres such as New Wave and Rockabilly and was subsequently sued by his label, Geffen, for recording "non-representative" music.
-Has directed a few films under the pseudonym Bernard Shakey

favorite Album: Rust Never Sleeps
favorite Song: Rockin' In The Free World
Discovered: I'm Canadian, duh.
Why I like him: He never sticks to a single genre or style, is not a technically proficient singer, rather self-concious about his guitar playing, but just makes music. He only cares about the music, and I can respect and relate to that.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 13 2011 04:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've got an article about Neil Young in Guitar Magazine that's sitting in the to be read queue right now, seems like a cool dude.

Mick Bynes
Title: The Death Metal God
PostPosted: Dec 06 2012 03:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cannibal Corpse

Eight Facts:
They highly regarded as one of the most important bands in death metal.
They began in Buffalo, NY and then moved to Florida.
They formed in December 1988.
At one point, songs off their first 3 albums were not allowed to be performed in Germany due to the explicit nature of the lyrics. The ban was lifted in 2006.
Alex Webster (bass) and Paul Mazurkiewicz (drums) are the only original members left in the band.
Their lead vocalist Corpsegrinder has made guest appearances on the show Metalocalypse.
Chris Barnes was the lead vocalist from 1988 - 1995.
Rob Barrett joined Cannibal Corpse in 1993, left in 1997 and then rejoined in 2005.

Favorite Album: Bloodthirst
Favorite Song: Scalding Hail
Discovered from: Friends
What I like about them: They really push the boundaries of death metal, heavy metal and music in general. They have an awesome sound, I like their guitar work a lot and the vocals are killer. The bass is really incredible. Their drums are really amazing. I pretty much like every aspect of them.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 06 2012 06:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Spin Doctors

Eight Facts:
1.They are from New York City, with members from Princeton, New Jersey and Canada.
2.Contrary to what you may know about them, they are NOT a one hit wonder band. They have had two charting albums and 8 charting singles.
3.They are closely related to the band Blues Traveler as they both shared members originally and both toured together for many of the Spin Doctors early shows.
4.They have had four guitarists, two bassists and one keyboardist over their history. Their original lineup performs together now though, Chris Barron on Vocals, Eric Schenkman on Guitar, Aaron Comess on Drums and Mark White on Bass.
5.Barron suffered from vocal paralysis in 1999 which threatened to allow him to never be able to sing again.
6.They took an indefinite hiatus after their fourth album which was generally poorly received and had only two of the original members writing on it.
7.They reunited in 2001 after hearing the legendary NYC venue The Wetlands was to close down which they had performed at many times in their early career.
8.Their last album was released on 2005 (Nice Talking To Me), however they had a reissue of their first album this last year (Pocketful of Kryptonite) and have an upcoming cover album of blues covers.

BONUS FUN FACT.
The Spin Doctors are principally a funk rock band. However in their early career they could get few gigs as a funk band. So they wrote a lot of original blues tunes and played blues standards acting as a blues band and as the audience got drunker they'd break out into their funk tunes.

Favorite album? - Pocketful of Kryptonite
Favorite song? - Forty or Fifty

How'd you find the band? Lent the CD
What do you like about them? They are extremely funky and the guitar riffs are jazz inspired.
Reply to topic

Jump to: