[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Why are sports so corrupt?

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I will agree with that USA...I wouldn't necessarily want a salary cap, as much as I want an actual limit to how much a team can spend overall,

That's what a salary cap is.

Oh, and why all caps in my name?
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like to show my patriotism whenever I write it...I don't know.

And I know that's a salary cap, but it's not enforced as such.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
In my mind, it's not so much that they're overpaid, it's that certain teams can afford to spend a disproportionate amount of money to acquire top talent, and lower market teams can't catch up.

That's pretty much how the Expos died. After like the third time they put together a pretty good team only to have to let go all the good players because they couldn't afford them
and got utter crap in exchange, fans stopped believing they had a chance to ever win, so they stopped giving a shit and attendance plummeted.
That, and the fucking strike.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

thats not the top market teams fault. plenty of big market teams spends gazillions only not to do shit (ie Mets, Redskins, Knicks, etc)

having a large payroll means nothing and guarantees nothing if you have idiots running your front office. Shit, look at the Yanks went from 2000-2008 without a title, and they spent like a billion dollars within that time frame.

also, if you are unsure a market is able to support a sports team...dont have one there. thats like hitting a bees nest and getting mad when you get stung to death.

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 09:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ha, joe, you named some teams with some of the worst front office personnel of the past decade. As you said, tons of cash isn't going to get you all the way if the people spending it are idiots.

Your Yankees example is iffy though, I would say they had excellent players through out that drought, it just goes to show how hard winning titles actually is.

You absolutely have an advantage if your funds are limitless, every year you can expect the same 5 or 6 teams to compete for sure, and then a few teams from the rest of the pack emerge each year. In keeping the league on a level playing field, this is bullshit, but in keeping your big markets happy, it works out fine, therefor, it will stay without a cap FOREVER!
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Which is another reason why I won't watch basketball.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can't buy a championship. You can certainly buy a playoff berth though. And with only 8 teams going through in MLB there's not much place left for anybody else.
And NBA has about the same parity as Major League Soccer.
Also, I'm kind of happy the Expos are dead, the MLB is a joke. I just can't take it seriously. I mean, I even stopped hating the Yankees. Laughing
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
thats not the top market teams fault. plenty of big market teams spends gazillions only not to do shit (ie Mets, Redskins, Knicks, etc)

having a large payroll means nothing and guarantees nothing if you have idiots running your front office. Shit, look at the Yanks went from 2000-2008 without a title, and they spent like a billion dollars within that time frame.

also, if you are unsure a market is able to support a sports team...dont have one there. thats like hitting a bees nest and getting mad when you get stung to death.

The Yankees didn't win it all, no, but they did have a chance. They were always there. Same with the other teams.

While a few small-market, small-spending teams (Oakland) have done pretty well, for the most part, they're the bottom of the league.

You need some elite players to compete.

To get elite players, you need money.

To get money, you need fans to come to the ballpark.

To get fans to come, you need to be able to compete.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jun 09 2011 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tired excuses.

the family that owns the twins are the richest owners in the league and yet are mostly cheap twats. And the royals are owned by the Glass family...

if you cant tell Im a big fan of contraction.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jun 26 2011 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I had way more money than I deserved, I'd be doing all I can to get more of it too.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Reply to topic

Jump to: