"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Why are sports so corrupt?

Reply to topic
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I log onto espn.com daily to check up on all the goings on in the sports world. They have a side bar with current stories. I can't remember a time when it didn't include some type of major scandal/cheating development. This ranges from the latest steroid/doping incident from a number of sports to the latest college athletics scandal that strips a major school of a national title. Do any of the latest college football champs even still have the title? EVERYONE is fucking cheating. Pro coaches, pro players, college coaches, there is even legit thoughts that the NBA itself tries to craft its playoffs thru its refs (bs? perhaps, who knows at this point).

What sucks is that I've accepted it as part of sports, I hardly raise an eyebrow when I hear someone new has been proven to have used PEDs, everyone is lumped together as guilty to me at this point.
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Because it's all about the money. Honest competetion at those levels is dying, if not dead.

On the other hand, cheating has always existed. Is it that it's easier to catch nowadays?

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Money. Players earn big bucks by being the best. Owners earn big bucks by having the best. Leagues earn big bucks when the best play against the best.

And when the difference between the elite and the above average is fractions of an inch, you do what you can.

Of course this assumes something is actually going on. NCAA rules are bullshit and a half as it is, and I think at least half of all cheating accusations are just sour grapes that their team lost.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

People have always cheated, now they're just getting caught. It's a lot easier to catch cheaters now.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klim said it best. If anything, sports has now become less corrupt than it was back in dead ball era of baseball, where fixing games was rampant, simply because players held so little power, they could make a lot more money fixing games. Everyone has heard about the Black Sox scandal, although I'd be very surprised if guys such as Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb didn't fix games from time to time, since it's common knowledge that these guys all lived hard lifestyles and gambled, they were just lucky not to get caught. And even without that evidence, Babe Ruth cheated on his wife constantly, and Ty Cobb stabbed a guy.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep... Greed has taken over.

I mean we are looking at both a NFL and NBA lockout, over contracts and money.

I think all pro-sports players should be paid by performance, not fame. Every player makes the same scale pay. The more they win, the more money they earn in bonuses. The "superstars" would still make craploads, since most of their money comes from endorsements anyways.

These players should stop bitching and whining about how they should be making 4 million a year, instead of 3! I mean they make more money than any of us "normal" people, and they make it by playing a fucking game!
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

corruption has always been there. people just had more honor back in the day, and didnt rat each other out. now, they make more money after ratting everyone out w/the book deals & the movie deals (jose canseco). i could be totally wrong though

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 07:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I say just let them use PED's, then we don't have to worry about it. Except it would have to be a completely different league.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 09:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
I think all pro-sports players should be paid by performance, not fame. Every player makes the same scale pay. The more they win, the more money they earn in bonuses. The "superstars" would still make craploads, since most of their money comes from endorsements anyways.

These players should stop bitching and whining about how they should be making 4 million a year, instead of 3! I mean they make more money than any of us "normal" people, and they make it by playing a fucking game!

That would never work. Teams do get bonuses if they win championships, however if they went by the basis of getting paid on how good they do overall, then you get a bunch of people who flood to certain teams in order to increase their overall chances. I know that happens now, but this would increase tenfold. If they really wanted to make a statement, then they would just replace them with minor league guys, even though I'm sure this would KILL ratings and they would definitely lose more money than they would if they didn't just pay out to begin with. So if the blame goes to anyone, it's the sport itself for emphasizing "star power" in order to attract fans.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To take Kynte's idea in teh direction I think he may have been leaning...If you produce you get paid, if you don't you get the league minimum or what your production has earned you. If you are the worst team in the whole NFL but you have a guy producing 2000 yards rushing and 40 TD's he deserves some cash.

In that type of system you don't have people making millions over several years because they had a good year, they will get paid by how they do. But then you have the argument for people who get injured. Well you know what start a fund for those players, if they are knocked out for good they get a Mil a year. Can't live off a Mil a year...Fuck you! That's ideally how to get parity in the league, because superstars are not going to want to play with other superstars, or them to get their touchdowns. Ahhh if only...

Also fuck Terrell Pryor. He gets one of the greatest coaches fired, and then decides to leave school and enter the draft instead of play and serve out his suspension. Fuck him, Fuck him hard.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 07 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you take the approach that guys who produce get paid, that's completely unfair. It creates people who will want to take shot after shot since they're the ones benefiting, not necessarily the team and guys that end up riding the bench all depend on the mercy of their coach.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's why the Coach is the Coach and the Starters are the Starters. You earn your spot in Spring Training. Just because the players want to take shot after shot doesn't mean they get too. You fuck up the coaches plan and see what happens.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 02:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Spring training doesn't earn anything! The way you play during an exhibition game might be completely different than a game you would play during the playoffs. Your plan would seem to exhaust people out of fear of losing their positions. A team cannot function like that! Also, who is going to oversee how this would play out? The commissioner? A league of officials? How do you interpret whether or not someone played to their absolute fullest ability? Let's say the coach is a retard and doesn't use someone's full potential or has a vendetta against them (happened many times in baseball over the years) and the owners are too pussy to do anything about it, should the player suffer? Or what if the player is moved to another position, where they fail, is that their fault? They didn't make the change. How soon would we hear about players not being happy and demanding a trade?
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

In theory, it's a neat idea to structure their pay, but in practice, as Dodds has said, it would be pretty hard to manage the concept. Then again, it would be a neat idea for any job, just think of that lazy fuck next to you making just as much as you, fuck that dude!

A partial solution would be ACTUAL salary caps. Baseball has none, football and basketball have them but I've yet to see a team really held up by them, seems "work arounds" are quite easy in both leagues. NHL seems to have a solid cap, but I'm not entirely sure on this one. Also, in the NFL, 95% of contracts are non-guaranteed, most guys are fighting for their jobs on a daily basis and the majority of guaranteed contracts are perennial stars or recipients of a ridiculous rookie contract.

I think the sport that is most guilty of stupid bullshit unreal I can't believe we gave JD DREW 75million contracts, is baseball. Marginal players can luck into a 5/50mil contract, which is more than most stars in other leagues. Tom Brady makes 18mil, JD Drew makes 15mil, LOfuckingL. I realize MLB has more money due to number of games. A salary cap in baseball would do it good in my opinion. It would level the playing field, they could lower the cost of going to a game so ACTUAL fans (me) could afford to go to a few each year.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
I say just let them use PED's, then we don't have to worry about it. Except it would have to be a completely different league.

I think the issue most people have isn't necessarily one of fairness. It's that they, well, kill you.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PED's would be a lot less likely to kill you if the athletes were allowed to do them openly, under the administration of qualified doctors. As it is, they're shooting up stuff from Mexico under the advisement of the other guys in the locker room.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 02:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Spring training doesn't earn anything! The way you play during an exhibition game might be completely different than a game you would play during the playoffs. Your plan would seem to exhaust people out of fear of losing their positions. A team cannot function like that! Also, who is going to oversee how this would play out? The commissioner? A league of officials? How do you interpret whether or not someone played to their absolute fullest ability? Let's say the coach is a retard and doesn't use someone's full potential or has a vendetta against them (happened many times in baseball over the years) and the owners are too pussy to do anything about it, should the player suffer? Or what if the player is moved to another position, where they fail, is that their fault? They didn't make the change. How soon would we hear about players not being happy and demanding a trade?

For the record I'm talking strictly NFL...
Well in spring training that's where cuts are made, players are released, and players fail Physical conditioning tests. You cut down to the 53 man roster, and in my dream world, Everyone has a base salary for making the cut. If you don't play at all you get your base salary. If you play all or just a little bit you get your pay plus pay based upon the stats you produce. It would be a little different for those on the defensive and offensive lines. All I'm saying is motivate these players to play, Just look at Randy Moss, and then on the opposite spectrum look at Arian Foster! One made millions and did ZILCH all year, the other was the Leagues leading rusher and made 500k. This is why I love college ball more then pro. They are playing to showcase their skills and to make it to the pros. Pay the players based on their performance and watch all the heroics that come from the thought of making a Million extra dollars catching the touchdown pass at the end of the game to go to the playoffs.

And frankly I could give a shit if people complain and demand to be traded. I realize they want to make the most money they possibly can in their career, but really they should be thankful for even having the opportunity to make that much money playing football. If you're good, then prove it on the field, don't hod a team hostage until they pay you, so you can halfheartedly play knowing no matter what you got Millions coming. [/rant]

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
NHL seems to have a solid cap, but I'm not entirely sure on this one.

It does. There's no BS "Larry Bird" rule in the NHL, so the salary cap actually means something.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

as long as theyre entertaining me, who cares? baseball was alot more fun when 9 guys were jackin up 50 homers.

save "integrity" for the Olympics.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 08:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche, if you think there's a lot of drama now...wait until they enforce your qualifications.

And really, money shouldn't fucking matter. Yes, these guys make a fuckload, but they're the absolute best at what they do, and not paying them as much doesn't do us the fans any good. It just keeps the money in the pockets of the team owners, who have more money than they could ever spend. If these assholes want to throw 5 million dollars to a guy, then let them do it...it's not like I'm paying them.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Word Dods. Sounds like alot of you here support communism, so Un cool.

when you get paid, thats basically what your hide is worth. If a team wants to throw 70 mil at Carmelo, thats their business. also, people who compares athletes to everyday jobs like teaching have no perspective.

username
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

in any competitive field you will always pay top dollar for the best talent. be it sports, finance, marketing, et. al.

and these athletes are the best of the best of the best. i mean, all of us here play basketball to some capacity, but none of us play at the level these cats play. so, you want the best, you pay for the best.

do we feel they are overpaid? definitely, but its the owners money and unfortunately, we go along with it.

Klimbatize wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In my mind, it's not so much that they're overpaid, it's that certain teams can afford to spend a disproportionate amount of money to acquire top talent, and lower market teams can't catch up. This is particularly true in baseball - it seems that a lot of teams are just a "farm system" for the rich teams that will buy away their one big star once he hits free agency.

I have absolutely no problem with players grabbing all the money they can get. I just wish the deck wasn't so stacked in the favor of the people who already have the cash.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will agree with that USA...I wouldn't necessarily want a salary cap, as much as I want an actual limit to how much a team can spend overall, which allows them to be very careful with the choices made. If you want to throw 10 million at a guy...good for you...but that only means you'll have less for someone else. That makes a lot more sense to me.
username
PostPosted: Jun 08 2011 09:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thats how the salary cap is suppsoed to work, but many teams in the NBA go over it and pay that 'luxury tax.'

Klimbatize wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: