SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
R.I.P. MachoMan

Reply to topic
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 20 2011 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RIP Macho Man. *dial up the hyperbole from people proclaiming him to be top 5 workers of all time.

BorneAgain
PostPosted: May 20 2011 01:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Forget any talk of being a worker, Randy Savage was professional wrestling. The promos, the outfits, the mannerisms. Few performers embodied how crazy awesome wrestling could be like the Macho Man. I know so many people who never watched anything of WCW or WWF, but still knew about him. That's how much a larger than life personality he was.

RIP Macho King.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 20 2011 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i agree. he was the epitome of over the top wrestling showmanship. RIP

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: May 20 2011 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was really sad when I heard about this. I was a huge Randy Savage fan back in the day, I stopped watching wrestling altogether around 2001 because all my favs were gone. I remember my Aunt had some corporate job at the company who made Slim Jim and she got me a personalized autograph from Randy. I wish I still had it, don't know what happened to it.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 20 2011 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really say a lot about workrate or if he's in the top 5, but he's definitely close to it. I will say as far as wrestlers of the 80's, he was the prototype to what a wrestler should be, the man has no major flaws, unlike guys like Hogan who exceeded in the drawing, but wasn't a great wrestler or Flair who could exceed in the technical aspects, but didn't draw anywhere close to Hogan. Savage was also a GREAT storyteller and one of the best promo guys this business ever had to offer.

I'm absolutely pissed off that his HOF induction (if he ever gets one) will be posthumorous. Thanks for showing so much contempt for your fan base, Vince.

3 of my top 10 favorite wrestlers are now dead. Sad
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 20 2011 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So sad. Crying

Here's an interview highlighting why he's awesome.

I want to be the next Fred Phelps, except the pro-wrestling version. And instead of picketing wrestlers' funerals, I'm going to show up at wrestler's wakes with a referee and camera crew and wrestle matches against their corpses. I will be the greatest heel ever. RIP Randy Savage.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 20 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just watched his Wrestlemania VII match again, real emotional stuff. I think I have to agree with what Bret said, and be thankful that it wasn't drugs, alcohol, suicide or personal problems...it was just an unfortunate accident...something that's very rare in wrestling anymore.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 20 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it was a heart attack. My understanding is that his wife escaped the car accident with minor injuries, and that he probably would have too, had they been able to resuscitate him from the heart attack. If he juiced, the heart attack is possibly a long term side effect of that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 20 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just heard about this on the news... it made me very sad. Syd, that video was a great way to remember him.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 20 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure that years of substance abuse probably played a role in the weakening of his heart lining, however I have no way to back that up, but the guy did look fairly stacked later in his WCW run, but that could have been a number of things, but I won't rule out steroids, because obviously almost every wrestler from that era used them. There was also the report of him later dying of his wounds, so there's the possibility that he suffered a minor heart attack and the wreck resulted in fatal injuries. I suppose we'll find out soon, but damn..I've been bummed all day. I would go so far as to say his death has been the most prominent of any wrestler, even ESPN had it on the scroller at the bottom, and both ATH and PTI showed tributes, which isn't normal for wrestlers. I can say this for sure...there will never be another Macho Man Randy Savage.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 20 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there was Jay Lethal. Wink
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know...how cool would it be if WWE picked Lethal up, and didn't drop the ball on him...let him get the IC belt and give him sort of a Shelton Benjamin push for a while and let the crowd react. I personally think it would work, especially feuds with Bryan, Mysterio and Sheamus, it would work well.
JRA
PostPosted: May 21 2011 02:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

What's really sad is that it seemed like the WWE was slowly trying to bring him back. There was the DVD set in 2009 and then barely a month ago there was this:

Who knows, if he had lived Vince might have actually inducted him into the HOF next year.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 03:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

There was also the Mattel figure promo he shot, which was awesome, but it was too little too late. Even if they were mending a bridge, this shit should've been done 5 years ago.

WWE really knows how to put their priorities forward, granted this was basically a freak accident, I still think they would basically do their best to avoid bringing him up at all. You could really break down the HOF as the next guys who would get in there; Rock, Undertaker, Edge, Mick Foley, Triple H, Booker T, Kevin Nash and so forth...I still think we would've been waiting 10 years before they even bothered, which is ridiculous considering how much Vince buried the hatchet with so many other people, he must've really hated Macho.

Still, this doesn't guarantee a HOF induction, since it is going to be The Rock, but I'm sure he might co-headline, which is something he shouldn't have. Vince just likes to show his contempt to his core audience as well as anyone who's on his shitlist.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

the reason for Savage being exiled is that apparently he vince and Pat patterson were like BFFs... like very very close, that they traveled and stayed in the same hotel room together, and Vince was hurt that macho took an offer from WCW instead of sticking with WWE to announce. Then when randys first WCW deal was up, he hated their offer so warmed vince up on the idea of coming back, and used them to get a bigger deal for himself, pissing vince off again. so not only did he feel like he was betrayed, he was also fucked in the business side.

plus he fucked steph up the butt when she was like 12. so theres that.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 21 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's unlikely the Randy slept with Steph, and it's unlikely that Vince'd care if he did.

Supposedly the real issue is that when Savage left, the WWE was still reeling from the steroid trial and were having a tough time attracting advertisters. When Savage left, so did Slim Jims, and that fucked Vince over when he was already in dire financial straits.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I was kidding, however he purposely booked Raven like shit in the WWE because he holds a grudge for being the one to taint both Shane and Steph... im guessing with his alleged horse cock.

But the issue is most likely half drug/half emotion. Well, WAS the issue, sadly.

JRA
PostPosted: May 21 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea the Macho/Steph rumor is bullshit. You know why? Because they would have used it as an angle if it was true.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 02:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever the case was, it was bad judgment on Vince's part.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 21 2011 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, not to mention that if Vince had let Savage wrestle, he never would have jumped ship.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's what I never understood! Why was Vince so adamant on Savage being a commentator? Savage was a total package wrestler, who should be better suited as an established star who doesn't necessarily need to be a focal point, but a guy who you could always rely on when needed, like Kane, maybe a little more. Instead, Vince puts him behind a table and gives him little insight as to what to do. Give Savage a mic and an angle, and he'd get over, but make him sit there for 1 to 2 hours and tell him to call the action, is something entirely different. He wasn't terrible, but some guys fit into those roles much better than others.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair, Vince wanted to start a new age movement (the Harts, HBK, Taker) and Macho was seen as the old guard. Not really fair to place blame on Vinnie Mac; we all at one point cut our nose to spite our face, and if the rumors of Savage screwing him twice financially and emotionally are true, I wouldnt blame him. it does suck we wont see a live induction speech either.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those events shouldn't supersede the fact that Savage made him a lot of money to begin with, as well as Vince ultimately being the victor over WCW. Factor in that Warrior held Vince up for money, Bret physically attacked Vince and Shawn Michaels was not only a liability but he was also a prima donna, so yes, I will hold Vince to blame for not getting over a 16 year old grudge that he easily could've made money on.

Also, that "new movement" still didn't set the stage for new stars immediately. Hogan was still main eventing by the time Macho Man was doing commentating, as well as them being very short on stars from '93-'95. You had Undertaker, Hart, Yokozuna, Luger and promising rising stars like Razor, Michaels, Diesel and Double J. I think using an established guy like Savage could've made a lot of those guys look better if they weren't just one off matches and such.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 21 2011 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget that Jerry Lawler joined the WWF in 1992, and is three years older than Savage. And Lawler got to feud with Bret Fucking Hart. Let's think about that for a moment. The WWF was once so low on talent that one of its top stars was feuding with Jerry Lawler. Just think, that could have been a Savage/Hart feud. And then we wouldn't have had to deal with Isaac Yankem.
Reply to topic

Jump to: