"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Best Superhero Movie

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 03:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hands down, I say it is Thor: God of Thunder aka "Adventures in Babysitting (1987) " where the thunder God was played by the mighty, epic Vincent D'Onofrio of The Cell, Men in Black, and The 13th Floor.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 08:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually going to go with something a little more recent, and hopefully I won't get punched in the throat for it. I would say that without a doubt the best superhero movie is Spiderman. I'm huge into the whole "comic book superhero" thing and the thing I remember most about seeing that movie is coming out of the theater with my buddy Mike with shit-eating grins on our faces babbling incoherently because of the masterpiece we had just seen.

Granted, I think I was swept up in the moment at the time, but it is a great flick nonetheless. Does it have inconsistencies vis a vis the comic? Yeah, but what adapted movie doesn't diverge a bit from the beaten path? Does anybody really care THAT much that Peter Parker has the web shooting directly out of his wrists? If you do, you're gay, and I don't mean in the acceptable way. Plus, the fact that it was a "natural" web was a key plot point in the second movie.

Granted, the Green Goblin is a little hokey and outdated minus the cool new suit, but are YOU going to tell Willam Defoe that? Fuck no you're not, you pussies.

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 08:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

ill tell william dafoe that. i really wasn't a big fan of spiderman. i've seen it all before and it didnt intrest me.

william dafoe has done some good movies. Mainly The life aquatic: with steve zissou.
his role As klaus was HALARIOUS.

as for superhero movies...hmm...im really gonna have to go with spawn here. even tho he really wouldn't be considered to be a super "hero",the movie is still kickass and i can't wait for the sequal. I wish they still made new episodes of the racey cartoon Spawn they had on a few years ago.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Batman & Batman Returns hands down. I think I like the sequel a little bit more.

I'm also partial to Judge Dredd, not because it's good but because shouting "I AM THE LAW!" is a great way to end any argument.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm also partial to Judge Dredd, not because it's good but because shouting "I AM THE LAW!" is a great way to end any argument.

Case in point: "I didn't break the law, I AM THE LAW!!!"

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 28 2005 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shaun of the Dead

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 29 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While it's technically not a "super hero" movie, it IS from a comic book and he IS a crime fighter in a sense, so I'm going to go with "Hellboy". I really liked that one and Ron Pearlman fit the part perfectly.
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 30 2005 03:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:
While it's technically not a "super hero" movie, it IS from a comic book and he IS a crime fighter in a sense, so I'm going to go with "Hellboy". I really liked that one and Ron Pearlman fit the part perfectly.

Great pick, but if I can say ThorĀ® has been the best use of a Superhero in a movie than you sure has hell can say Hellboy.

Mainly because, though credited as Thor, Vincent is only implied (albeit heavily) that he is the God of Thunder.

And actually, now that I think about it, a superhero doesn't need to be from a comic book. Neo of The Matrix is a superhero but that was (for sake of arguement) an original movie (once again, please no debating... for the sake of the internet, there's been enough bloodshed).

And in many ways even John McClaine of Die Hard could be a superhero... The Highlanders count... Hell, Ernest P. Worrell is a superhero!

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 30 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
And in many ways even John McClaine of Die Hard could be a superhero... The Highlanders count... Hell, Ernest P. Worrell is a superhero!

Ernest saved Christmas. That alone garners him superhero status.
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Oct 31 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

what about Sin city? technically,its a superhero/comic book movie. if i can pick it,then ill pick it.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Oct 31 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If X-Men Legends 2 is any indication of what's to come in May (or is it March, I forget), then I'm gonna preemptively say X-Men 3 under the assumption that it will feature Apocalypse. I just hope the last X-Men movie they make has Onslaught in it.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 31 2005 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I just hope the last X-Men movie they make has Onslaught in it.

No. Onslaught would be retarded. He wasn't bad in MvC, but come on. If you really want to see a shitty CGI hybrid of Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen, then you're fired. In fact, you're super fired.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
No. Onslaught would be retarded. He wasn't bad in MvC, but come on. If you really want to see a shitty CGI hybrid of Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen, then you're fired. In fact, you're super fired.

Amen. There are too many good stories to start with that Onslaught shit.

Plus, there's no way the same actors keep staying on for sequel after sequel. This is the guaranteed last one for Halle Berry, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the cast has better things to do than a 4th or 5th movie. Although if they do a 4th, I'd like to see the whole Cyclops/Jean Grey/Mr. Sinister story line, complete with the slave island and Sauron.

Kutulu
Title: Ano Nantoz Kako Daimono
PostPosted: Nov 01 2005 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, that is a hard choice, and a kind of vague question so I will just list the best Comic Book Movies.

The Punisher(Tom Jane, not Dolph)
Sin City
SLC Punk
Batman Begins
Hellboy
From Hell

And Ge Rouge will surely own.

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kutulu wrote:
Hmm, that is a hard choice, and a kind of vague question so I will just list the best Comic Book Movies.

The Punisher(Tom Jane, not Dolph)

I'm glad someone liked the Jane Punisher, however finding another Dolph lover is harder. Finding the workprint of Dolph Lundgren's The Punisher is even harder than that. I'll just die.... harder.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 07:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy both versions, but the Jane version is obviously better. The biggest problem with the Dolph version is the drunk guy who only speaks in rhyme. What the hell was that? Just like there's no crying in baseball, there's no comic relief in The Punisher.
Kutulu
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 09:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I enjoy both versions, but the Jane version is obviously better. The biggest problem with the Dolph version is the drunk guy who only speaks in rhyme. What the hell was that? Just like there's no crying in baseball, there's no comic relief in The Punisher.
I really need to go buy the Dolph version, they have it on DVD for five bucks at the local game stop. When I watched it I wasn't really paying attention, but you can never have too many corny movies. Wasn't the Punisher Van in the movie?

Think of me not as One, Think of me not as None, Think of me not at all, for I am Continual.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Amen. There are too many good stories to start with that Onslaught shit.

Plus, there's no way the same actors keep staying on for sequel after sequel. This is the guaranteed last one for Halle Berry, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the cast has better things to do than a 4th or 5th movie. Although if they do a 4th, I'd like to see the whole Cyclops/Jean Grey/Mr. Sinister story line, complete with the slave island and Sauron.

While my source isn't the most reliable, and it's information I should try to fact check, I had heard that Patrick Stewart signed on for 7 X-Men movies, and if he signed on then they WILL be made, as he has the shortest attention span of any man in Hollywood (Because when you're that talented, you're allowed to get bored with projects easily)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also have to go with Batman and Batman Returns on this one.

1) Keaton rocks.
2) Clooney and Kilmer don't rock. Kilmer was only good as Madmartigan in Willow and as John Holmes in Wonderland.
3) I hate most other comic-based movies; They appear so formuiac to me, but then again, it's probably just modern Hollywood.

RIP Hacker.

S. McCracken
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
2) Clooney and Kilmer don't rock. Kilmer was only good as Madmartigan in Willow and as John Holmes in Wonderland.

I completely disagree. What about The Doors? Or The Saint? Heat? Tombstone? And he was fantastic in Real Genius! And that's just off the top of my head!

Clooney I'll give you, although he was passable in Three Kings and I've heard great things about Good Night, and Good Luck. Alas I haven't seen it, but I intend to do so.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I gotta back Spanky on this one. Val Kilmer is indeed pretty awesome and he wasn't the problem with Batman Forever. And Val Kimer's Doc Holliday in Tombstone is easily one of the greatest movie characters ever.

The problem with Batman Forever was Warner Brothers. You see, Warner Brothers became annoyed with Tim Burton because his movies were "too dark" and they lost out on a lucrative Happy Meal toy deal with McDonald's because Batman Returns wasn't kid-friendly enough. When Warner Brothers couldn't convince Tim Burton to make Batman 3 a little less dark, he was fired as director and the film was given to Joel Schumacher. Michael Keaton subequently quit in protest. It's hard to keep a franchise going when the star its built around drops out, but Val Kilmer was as good a replacement as anyone could hope for. And with Jim Carrey as The Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face, it was a promising project. Unfortunately, the script was far from great. Nicole Kidman's character was totally useless and annoying. Kilmer and Schumacher frequently clashed on the set. If Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are any indication of what Schumacher thinks a comic book movie should be, then I bet that Kilmer offered up good ideas and Schumacher shot them down.
Kutulu
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
Rycona wrote:

I completely disagree. What about The Doors? Or The Saint? Heat? Tombstone? And he was fantastic in Real Genius! And that's just off the top of my head!

Clooney I'll give you, although he was passable in Three Kings and I've heard great things about Good Night, and Good Luck. Alas I haven't seen it, but I intend to do so.
But you forget that Keaton starred in such epic cinematic events such as Mr. Mom and Multiplicity. Those who viewed such greats had their lives change forever.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 02 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kutulu wrote:
But you forget that Keaton starred in such epic cinematic events such as Mr. Mom and Multiplicity. Those who viewed such greats had their lives change forever.

Seriously though, Keaton was in some other good stuff besides Batman. Like Beetle Juice, Jackie Brown and My Life. And maybe Johnny Dangerously.
Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 02:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone mentioned:

METEOR MAN

yet?

S. McCracken
PostPosted: Nov 03 2005 08:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Uh, you forgot Blankman!

Of course, so did everyone else since I couldn't find ONE screenshot. I could only find both movie posters, both of which are too awful to allow on this site.

Reply to topic

Jump to: