SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My college mummy film

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 11 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

A couple years back, at the beginning of my senior year of college, the campus film & video group (IFV) decided to make a B-style mummy movie set on the University of Illinois campus. Their goal was to premiere it at their film fest the following semester, in April.

Now, I never really liked IFV. They had resources but they never had their act together. Actually, the problem was that they TRIED TOO HARD to have their act together. They'd form committees and subcommittees to plan movies that would end up terrible. It's college, folks, not Paramount.

I joked with friends that I could make my own mummy movie cheaper, faster, and better. I joked about it for an entire semester. But by winter break, IFV's movie had barely gotten off the ground.

That clinched it. I HAD to make my own. And what's more, I would have it done in time to submit it to their festival. I'd have less than half the time and nowhere near the crew or videomaking firepower. Just me, a small handful of actors, and my trusty Sony handicam.

This would be a Roger Corman movie, filmed fast and furious on virtually no money. I wrote the majority of the script myself (never my forte) because no one else had the time. The premise was cobbled together from a half-baked idea that had been rattling around in my brain for a while and a 1943 Max Fleischer Superman cartoon. I'm not kidding.

We barreled through, blowing off all manner of schoolwork, going from script to DVD in four months. Which, I assure you, was goddamned fast.

But in April, only one mummy movie premiered at the IFV film fest.

It was mine.

So here it is. And if you can't bring yourself to watch the whole thing, I recommend at least the first scene and the zombie scene in part 4.

This is not art, folks.

Watch it here.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 11 2007 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
Now, I never really liked IFV. They had resources but they never had their act together. Actually, the problem was that they TRIED TOO HARD to have their act together. They'd form committees and subcommittees to plan movies that would end up terrible. It's college, folks, not Paramount.

You are my hero.

DarkMaze wrote:
This would be a Roger Corman movie, filmed fast and furious on virtually no money.

Hmmm... This sounds like something going on right now...

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jan 11 2007 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a busted-ass movie that I did, and another one that I'm working on. I'll probably refilm all of the bad parts of the current one, though.

Reply to topic

Jump to: